I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Those of you who follow the "Weakest Link" thread will find this amusing- yesterday I found and purchased a near-mint (sleeve and record) condition vinyl copy of this one in a thrift store for $1.29:

I don't know the reference but I do know that's a great deal! 
    With your knowledge of music, I think you'd have fun getting in of the "Weakest Link" threads.  Somehow I thought you already were.  It's fun!
    I should check that out. I worry I don't spend enough time in this site!

I did get this the other day for a buck!!  Mint condition on the media,  good on the cover,  but who cares..
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    brianlux said:
    Those of you who follow the "Weakest Link" thread will find this amusing- yesterday I found and purchased a near-mint (sleeve and record) condition vinyl copy of this one in a thrift store for $1.29:

Awesome!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

With your knowledge of music, I think you'd have fun getting in of the "Weakest Link" threads.  Somehow I thought you already were.  It's fun!

I did get this the other day for a buck!!  Mint condition on the media,  good on the cover,  but who cares..
    Nice!  Some great stuff there- right up there with Scarecrow.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Nice!  Some great stuff there- right up there with Scarecrow.
    Yes, that's the classic for sure.  This one is good, particularly side A.  
    I also recently found what I thought looked like a throw-away but it was cheap.  But a few seconds into the first cut and I'm there and a little further along, it's a keeper.  This EP has some songs that don't work as well and I've read that they have even better stuff, but three songs here are killer- "The Price of Sex", "Always Comes Back", and "Down at the Beach".  How did I miss these guys?.  Jack Cassidy was in this band!  Sadly, the guitarist singer Brian Marnell died clear back in 1983. 

Better found late than never-  the best songs here are so cool! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    brianlux said:

HAHAHA>   $1.29 ought to tell you about that album. >
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

Yeah, that millions of them were sold! ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

C'mon... that's a classic 80s album.. quintessential... and before the hair band atrocity. 
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

It was everywhere.  I managed to miss Bon Jovi but Huey Lewis, being a California guy, was virtually inescapable.

But despite there being millions of copies of that album out there, finding it or anything like it for so cheap is a pretty good score.  I'll listen to some of it simply because I've never heard it on a good system and then put in in my record inventory at the store.  I get 60% of what I sell there, so if I put it out at $4 I'll make $2.40 minus the $1.29 which comes to $1.11 minus the cost of an outer mylar sleeve which I put on all records and- holy shit!-  I'll make about 80 cents on that sucker.  No wonder I'm getting nowhere fast.  :lol: 

brianlux said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

PJ_Soul said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

It was everywhere.  I managed to miss Bon Jovi but Huey Lewis, being a California guy, was virtually inescapable.

But despite there being millions of copies of that album out there, finding it or anything like it for so cheap is a pretty good score.  I'll listen to some of it simply because I've never heard it on a good system and then put in in my record inventory at the store.  I get 60% of what I sell there, so if I put it out at $4 I'll make $2.40 minus the $1.29 which comes to $1.11 minus the cost of an outer mylar sleeve which I put on all records and- holy shit!-  I'll make about 80 cents on that sucker.  No wonder I'm getting nowhere fast.  :lol: 
    I'd buy a nice copy of that for 8 bucks or less in a second.  The songs remind me of growing up. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

C'mon... that's a classic 80s album.. quintessential... and before the hair band atrocity. 
    Maybe so, but it never did anything for me.
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    mrussel1 said:
    cutz said:
    brianlux said:

You need to take a visit to the 'Weakest Link' threads. As much of a music connoisseur as you are.. you'd have fun.
    Which section? I'll do that. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019
    It's right here in this section... in the post directly below this one. :lol:
    But the Huey Lewis segment is over. We're on to Bon Jovi.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm on a phone so I only check the  "participated" threads.  I'll join tomorrow... or after Bon Jovi... damn hair band. 
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm on a phone so I only check the  "participated" threads.  I'll join tomorrow... or after Bon Jovi... damn hair band. 
    :lol: 

You'll enjoy the game, hair bands or no.  :lol: 

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Cannot wait to spin!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Cannot wait to spin!
    I pre-ordered it but nothing shown up yet and no word about shipping.  I hope it shows up!

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Has anyone picked up any of the Danzig or Samhain reprints?

I'm wondering how they sound?
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    edited March 2019
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I'm a sucker for color vinyl and anything released by Petty.
    Just played mine. Sounds really good except LP4, might need to clean it, had some distortion.
    Finally got around to playing the whole boxset.  Awesome sounding!  Great selection of tunes!
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Authority Song is a fav of mine.  Haven't heard it in a while.
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
    Super stoked to get this one in the mail yesterday.  SVT, No Regrets

And how cool to find some live footage from 1979 from a band that lasted such a short while (sadly, singer/guitarist Brian Marnell died way too young):

• Just bought David Bowie Heroes.

New. Love it.

Heroes is one of the top 20 songs written all time.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    Iron & Wine  - Our Endless Numbered Days
    15th anniversary reissue on double green vinyl

“Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Just bought David Bowie Heroes.

New. Love it.

You know, usually, you're full of shit, but you got this one correct.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

New. Love it.

You know, usually, you're full of shit, but you got this one correct.

I go heavy volume. Every now and then I get to be right.
    "My brain's a good brain!"

New. Love it.

Heroes is one of my all-time favorite Bowie albums.  As with Low, I love the duality of the song side/ instrumental side.  Add Brian Eno and Robert Fripps outstanding contributions and the result is one of Bowie's finest!

• DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630

Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18