Comments

• Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Weed Maps
    Learn More
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072

I gotta ask...I've never used...it seems many people use very regularly.  They plan their trips around how to get it and whether or not they use it.  They use daily.  If someone did this with beer they'd be considered an alcoholic.  And I love beer and drink a bunch...but certainly not every day.

So educate me, does anyone else see a problem with developing a daily habit?  When does it become a problem?  

I'm all for legalization and taxation.  But I need to understand why using it daily is any different than smoking or using alcohol daily...which to me seems like a very bad idea.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I gotta ask...I've never used...it seems many people use very regularly.  They plan their trips around how to get it and whether or not they use it.  They use daily.  If someone did this with beer they'd be considered an alcoholic.  And I love beer and drink a bunch...but certainly not every day.

So educate me, does anyone else see a problem with developing a daily habit?  When does it become a problem?  

I'm all for legalization and taxation.  But I need to understand why using it daily is any different than smoking or using alcohol daily...which to me seems like a very bad idea.
    Others have their reasons.  I've always enjoyed it for the high but no freak-outs back when it was dry here except for hooking up with dealer friends.  Now, because of health fuckery, I use it all day long for a plethora of physical repercussions, getting through the day or night, and helping to keep my state of mind somewhat calm vs. the urge to freak out about my circumstances.  

I wouldn't plan a trip around it, by the way, as my days of traveling are pretty much over =)  But, I would freak out at not having immediate relief (or even partial relief).  I'll take it over standard pain meds any day, though I understand it doesn't work for all.  I'm thankful that for now, for me, it does.
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited February 2019

For one, it does not have near the negative health effects as smoking tobacco or drinking alcohol.  That said, there are plenty of healthy ways of consuming marijuana that pretty much skirt any kind of negative health effects that may arise from smoking it.
    Alcohol is one of the only substances that creates a withdrawal so harsh that it could be deadly for those with major addictions, and also has very negative health effects in the long run.  We all know the dangers of cigarettes at this point (if not, you are naive). 
    Sure, there are some caveats that come if people abuse it or feel they “need” it, but the same could be said with junk food or even sex for that matter.  I’ve met a fair number of people that seek those things out everywhere they go as well.  It becomes a problem if they cannot function without it or it starts to affect their life in a negative way.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

I know plenty of people who drink beer every day without adverse effect to their life.  Plenty of people who find the nearest micro or sweet pub for every trip.
    The answer I would give you, and it's the most common one you will get is that I don't give a shot what you do every day if you handle your shit.  You can drink, smoke, jerk, eat, whatever you want, however often you want.  It's only a problem when it causes negative effects in your life and you become unsure on the benefit/detriment balance.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?

I guess it depends if you are smoking and playing video games all day, then maybe there is a problem.  But if you are toking in the evening and relaxing then it is a far better choice than alcohol.  It is also important to remember that smoking is only 1 option for ingesting, there is CBD and THC oil available and edibles if you want to avoid smoking it.  I am a former tobacco smoker who had smokers a cough.  I usually only smoke Cannabis, I have no cough from Cannabis.  I have read some articles where evidence suggest Cannabis does not cause lung cancer.  People have been smoking it long enough, that I'm sure if it was Cancer causing the US federal government would be trotting out this research to keep it illegal.  With its legalized in Canada, this should pave the way for research into its health benefits and harm.  And we will see, I am of the belief that it was kept illegal because of big Pharma in the US lobbying politicians...

I'm more in line with it should never have been illegal, to begin with.  So I have no problem with people continuing to get their Cannabis from their dealers.  I myself have no intention of buying government weed.  I continue to go the medicinal route.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    And even then...I don't really give a shit lol

There are some big differences in the physical and psychological dependency of marijuana as compared to other substances like alcohol.  I'm not interested in going into that, because I know doctors and lawyers and academics that function just fine on daily doses of various substances with various dependence characteristics.
    rgambs said:

There are some big differences in the physical and psychological dependency of marijuana as compared to other substances like alcohol.  I'm not interested in going into that, because I know doctors and lawyers and academics that function just fine on daily doses of various substances with various dependence characteristics.
    True.  I guess the real genius would be one who could figure why so many humans need intoxicants to get through the week.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Thanks for the answers.  I certainly get traveling and planning in some from time to time.  Heck I've taken trips with friends to locations specifically to hit craft breweries.  I just kinds wondered about the daily need to use...seemed potentially dangerous.  Dangerous is not the right word...but potentially concerning?

Anyhow, thanks again for your perspectives.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Thanks for the answers.  I certainly get traveling and planning in some from time to time.  Heck I've taken trips with friends to locations specifically to hit craft breweries.  I just kinds wondered about the daily need to use...seemed potentially dangerous.  Dangerous is not the right word...but potentially concerning?

Anyhow, thanks again for your perspectives.  

I think anything that someone feels they absolutely have to do every day to function, and which causes distress if they can't do it, can potentially indicate a problem (with the exception of eating, breathing, sleeping, etc.). Not definitely, but it can mean there's something there for that person to pay a bit of attention to, to make sure their eyes are wide open.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I've smoked for many yrs now i've slowed way down but i can travel with out it as a matter of fact i never ever bring any or look for any when i'm on vacation i'd rather not , i just wan't to enjoy my vacation ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    https://apple.news/AOMvNvAz9Ts-07AyR51bENQ
    People are really the worst species on the planet it’s not even debatable..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    The cannabis black market will control 71 per cent of sales in Canada this year, Scotiabank says

https://nationalpost.com/cannabis-business/black-market-is-not-going-anywhere-and-will-control-71-of-cannabis-sales-in-canada-this-year-scotiabank/wcm/44667567-ff4f-4a04-916f-0950dfd000b6?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&fbclid=IwAR0YKNdMJULRdovwIZxrxFVQXVgWN6MZNxRxcpcrePiQnQdDzds8Lgk8G4M#

5 large scale medicinal marijuana greenhouses are opening 20 minutes from my door, the council will be considering another 9 in the future.  At least they are keeping the medicinal Cannabis supplied.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…
    Marijuana addictions program not a big ‘hit’ in CK

https://blackburnnews.com/chatham/chatham-news/2019/03/02/marijuana-addictions-program-not-big-hit-ck/?fbclid=IwAR1BohsHVzMBiBok2CGFwum4mUCIkWRCha_qcAWmN7wdLHX3zukOsKiN4jw

Because most who use Cannabis enjoy it.  There is nothing to figure out...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Marijuana is like so many other things that we can (and many do) become addicted to.  Of this list, I can think of two that I indulge in that are not at all a problem to me or for me.  Guess which two:

Sugar
    TV
    Marijuana
    Being on a smart or cell phone frequently
    Music
    Alcohol
    Video games
    Narcotics

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Hahaha love it Brian, marijuana and music.
    Use to your heart's content!  Add books!  That's a healthy addiction too!  

Give Peas A Chance…
    edited March 2019
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited March 2019

rgambs said:

True.  I guess the real genius would be one who could figure why so many humans need intoxicants to get through the week.
    Because it's fun, or life sucks for some and they can use a boost, or sometimes the regular day to day grind is boring, or life is stressful. I never got why some people find it hard to understand why folks would want to take substances that improve their moods or make them feel more relaxed or less inhibited or laugh more or whatever. It's not exactly a mystery! Drugs and alcohol are fun! (until you become an addict, anyway)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    Video shows police searching cancer patient's hospital room for marijuana

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/nation-world/video-shows-police-searching-cancer-patients-hospital-room-for-marijuana/507-3929e387-fea4-4143-900a-a63657474e18?fbclid=IwAR1P2zR9R86GFvtnRYjNgwHHxrmwhNK-yLBpXTFBSoOAcXkw0CpuVlyJ_sM"

I’ve got my staff in tears. People are calling and actually making threats against police," he told the Springfield News-Leader. 

That's what happens when you rile up the stoners, well the sober ones...lol 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Applied for medical card on Friday.  Weird process in Maryland.  You have to register online, pay $50 for your card up front.  Takes about 4-6 to process your application at which time you only get a registration number.  Then you have 90 days to see a doctor who will certify you, most of whom charge another $100 because they all do it on the side of their actual practice. And there are only a handful of doctors who you can even see for certification.
    Applied for medical card on Friday.  Weird process in Maryland.  You have to register online, pay $50 for your card up front.  Takes about 4-6 to process your application at which time you only get a registration number.  Then you have 90 days to see a doctor who will certify you, most of whom charge another $100 because they all do it on the side of their actual practice. And there are only a handful of doctors who you can even see for certification.
    So is there any point to the initial application, other than a cash grab?
    Sounds like a cash grab.  In Canada, you print a registration form off the supplier's website that you have chosen to buy your medicinal Cannabis from, have your dr fill the form out and fax over to the supplier, 24 hours later patients are usually able to buy.  At this point, all medicinal is mailed to you...It's a pretty smooth process.  Before this process, it was similar to yours.  You had to get a form from health Canada, have DR. fill out and send into health Canada, wait 90-120 days for certification...

I was never under the health Canada rules, my cousin was, he is involved in a class action lawsuit against Health Canada for breaching patients privacy...

The new system that eliminated the Health Canada system is excellent...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    So is there any point to the initial application, other than a cash grab?
    It was originally for your registration number but the fee now pays for the ID card, too.  Until March 1, the card was not required but you still needed a registration number to see a doctor for certification.  Used to be able to just take your cert papers into the shop but they just changed it to where everyone needs the ID card now.  In a sense it is sort of a backward ass cash grab.  I guess not many people were spending the additional $50 on the card, so they made it mandatory.
    edited March 2019
    Sounds like a cash grab.  In Canada, you print a registration form off the supplier's website that you have chosen to buy your medicinal Cannabis from, have your dr fill the form out and fax over to the supplier, 24 hours later patients are usually able to buy.  At this point, all medicinal is mailed to you...It's a pretty smooth process.  Before this process, it was similar to yours.  You had to get a form from health Canada, have DR. fill out and send into health Canada, wait 90-120 days for certification...

I was never under the health Canada rules, my cousin was, he is involved in a class action lawsuit against Health Canada for breaching patients privacy...

I just walked up to a dispensary booth that was taking applications, filled one out, was given a temporary card, and then I took that to another dispensary who arbitrarily honoured the temporary card with a permanent one. All for free, and they didn't even ask me to see a doctor, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

I just walked up to a dispensary booth that was taking applications, filled one out, was given a temporary card, and then I took that to another dispensary who arbitrarily honoured the temporary card with a permanent one. All for free, and they didn't even ask me to see a doctor, lol.
    Well, that wasn’t the legal medicinal route, so not really comparable. 
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, that wasn’t the legal medicinal route, so not really comparable. 
    I'm not saying it is.