The AMT Marijuana Thread

jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
edited April 2017 in A Moving Train
Happy 4/20 everyone. Since the old thread was closed at the request of the OP of that thread, and since we didn't have a current MJ thread going, today seemed like an appropriate day to start a new one!

For your reading pleasure today, HuffPost has compiled The Exhaustive List Of Everyone Who’s Died Of A Marijuana Overdose.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
Post edited by jeffbr on

Comments

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    A beautiful day here in Ohio.
    The incredibly invasive (but not damaging or bad, IMO) Russian/Autumn Olive is in bloom in my lower yard, making an entire half acre smell of a flowery fresh-baked sugar cookie.
    It's​ a wonderful scent, and it pairs well with the scent of fresh cut grass and sweet, sticky bud.
    Happy holidays!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    living in canada, I think I have finally settled on a band name: Winterland Waldos
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    I live in Colorado
    Everyday is 420 in Colorado
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

I live in Colorado
    Everyday is 420 in Colorado

And in CA - for me, anyway :)

Looking forward to this evening!

And we don't even have a dog :rofl:
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Kat said:
    Good stuff. I have been seeing a lot more noise coming from congress, and am hopeful that we'll see meaningful reforms in the next couple of years, Trump notwithstanding. I don't think he even cares on way or the other. Only that hillbilly Sessions, perhaps the head of DHS, and a few Bible thumpers in Congress make noise about the evils of MJ. The majority of the country is ready to have some sanity applied to Marijuana laws. Prohibition didn't work for alcohol, and isn't working for MJ. It is time for a change in the laws.
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,924
    In honour of 4/20, new things are coming my way by mail! 30% off, what a deal :)
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    Interesting article on taxation issues related to legalization of marijuana. Whether and how much to tax, weighing what level of taxation would keep people using the illegal supply chain rather than legal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/dan-sutton/marijuana-tax-canada_b_16436462.html

One thing that stuck out for me - "By year end 2015, Colorado had collected more taxes from cannabis consumption than alcohol sales".  That's astounding.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    dignin said:
    Well, of course, they have to meet those mandatory minimum prisoner populations set by the private prison corporations.
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    Well, of course, they have to meet those mandatory minimum prisoner populations set by the private prison corporations.
    Exactly right. Trump reversed Obama on the use of private prisons, I'm sure due to favors owed to donors, and it is Session's job to fill those prisons with undocumented aliens and low-level drug users. #MAGA
    Interesting article on taxation issues related to legalization of marijuana. Whether and how much to tax, weighing what level of taxation would keep people using the illegal supply chain rather than legal.

One thing that stuck out for me - "By year end 2015, Colorado had collected more taxes from cannabis consumption than alcohol sales".  That's astounding.
    It is astounding, and encouraging. Because states are now reaping the benefits of legalization in a big way, there is no way they are going to roll over if Trump/Sessions want to try to enforce federal MJ laws. This just shows that prohibition has never worked. There has always been demand, and states can choose to continue the unwinnable war on drugs and continue spending senselessly in an attempt to quell that demand, or they can embrace the will of the people and reap financial reward. 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    jeffbr said:

It is astounding, and encouraging. Because states are now reaping the benefits of legalization in a big way, there is no way they are going to roll over if Trump/Sessions want to try to enforce federal MJ laws. This just shows that prohibition has never worked. There has always been demand, and states can choose to continue the unwinnable war on drugs and continue spending senselessly in an attempt to quell that demand, or they can embrace the will of the people and reap financial reward. 
    Are you referring to all drugs or just marijuana? I hope we never go beyond marijuana legalization. I would also argue that embracing the will of the people should be carefully assessed. After all, Donald Trump was the will of 60 million people. The people don't always make the best decisions.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    jeffbr said:

Are you referring to all drugs or just marijuana? I hope we never go beyond marijuana legalization. I would also argue that embracing the will of the people should be carefully assessed. After all, Donald Trump was the will of 60 million people. The people don't always make the best decisions.
    For now I'm just focused on MJ, although I'm happy to make a case for legalizing (or at the very least decriminalizing) and regulating all drugs, and spend that "war on drugs" money on better education, prevention, and treatment rather than militarized police, the DEA, and private prisons. But that clutters the discussion and I'd prefer to leave that to a different thread. Sessions' hard on about federal MJ enforcement is tiring, and I really don't have much fear of him being able to reverse any current trends on that front. I understand your point about the will of the people, but MJ legalization is a decades old, non-partisan movement based on reason and common sense. It is only political because some politicians (and religious morality police) try to make it so. And ultimately, regardless of what we think about Trump's election, the will of the people had better be taken into consideration in this country. If the will of the people violates the constitution, then either amend the constitution or ignore the will of the people. If the will of the people involves violating minority civil rights, then the will of the people should absolutely be ignored. But for the most part, the will of the people should be considered in every single thing the peoples' representatives in DC work on. 
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    rgambs said:
    dignin said:
    It's also a way to strip voter rights away from someone who most likely, isn't going to vote Republican. Everything they do reminds me of the Jane's Addiction song "Obvious". 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    I bought a gram of shatter for the first time last weekend. I like it better than budder - so much easier to handle.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/how-henry-rollins-became-a-drug-free-pot-advocate-w481602

Man, I love Henry Rollins. I agree with a LOT of what he says on a multitude of different issues.
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • qontheboardqontheboard Posts: 771
    PJ_Soul said:
    I bought a gram of shatter for the first time last weekend. I like it better than budder - so much easier to handle.

Shatter is such a game changer for concerts. No more worrying about getting away with smoking a joint inside, or having to go outside to do the deed. Just a quick hit or two off the Aura (now branded the Aurora) and all is good.

edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:

Shatter is such a game changer for concerts. No more worrying about getting away with smoking a joint inside, or having to go outside to do the deed. Just a quick hit or two off the Aura (now branded the Aurora) and all is good.

Yeah, the concentrates in the vape pens are definitely a game changer when it comes to smoking up at concerts. I actually don't do this anymore because I no longer like being high in public, but I still appreciate that budder and shatter make things a lot better for those who want to indulge discretely! I only use it at home, but even there, I enjoy budder and shatter in the pen because it's just so much easier than loading the bong and finding the lighter, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    i'm an edibles guy i make my own butter now i just eat a cookie or chocolate before any functions i might be attending not need to smoke at all ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    i'm an edibles guy i make my own butter now i just eat a cookie or chocolate before any functions i might be attending not need to smoke at all ..
    I recently explored making my own edibles. I did work out the recipes fine... I just don't like the high edibles give. They just aren't for me.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    I recently explored making my own edibles. I did work out the recipes fine... I just don't like the high edibles give. They just aren't for me.
    I'll do (purchased) edibles at home only.  The delay of their effects plus how hard they hit make me prefer to be in my "safe place" =)

I will say that bringing a vape pen to my sister's on Mother's Day helped immensely.

Very curious to see how things will - or won't - change here come 2018.  I'm going to hold on to my scrip card for sure.

Looks like legalized recreational marijuana may lead to reduced food production in BC, as agricultural companies switch from veggies to weed due to higher profit margins.

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/pot-production-could-edge-out-vegetables-on-lower-mainlands-agricultural-land-says-delta-mayor

One unintended side effect that is cause for concern.

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    Looks like legalized recreational marijuana may lead to reduced food production in BC, as agricultural companies switch from veggies to weed due to higher profit margins.

http://vancouversun.com/business/local-business/pot-production-could-edge-out-vegetables-on-lower-mainlands-agricultural-land-says-delta-mayor

In other news, Frito Lay and Dominoes have increased production.....
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:

In other news, Frito Lay and Dominoes have increased production.....

It's not too late to buy stock
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    Now i've made my own Tincture and i like it too just do 1ml about 17 drops worth in a glass of water or juice 30 mnts i'm crusing along fine ...I like edibles or tinctures with edibles i know 1 hr into it i'll be getting high i smoke when i'm home mostly on weekends but nowhere as much as i use to yrs ago ...My days of buying weed are over now i grow my own ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,554
    I thought I'd ask this here rather than on the "I'm stoned out of my gourd RIGHT NOW!" thread or instead of creating a new one. 

My question here is mostly directed toward those who are in the know about marijuana quality in states where it is legal medically and/or for recreational use.  My curiosity was piqued by a guy I ran into who said when the California dispensaries open for recreational marijuana in January, that which will be available will be, as he put it, "like Bud Lite" and "Monsanto pot", and "over-controlled"... i.e., not great quality non-organic.  He also railed against vape pens, saying they are unhealthy to use because of what they use to atomizes the cannabis oils.  (I'm hoping vaping is actually healthier/easier on the throat than the harshness of smoking.)

My interest in the herb will be mostly for health reasons related to arthritis, muscle and worn out joints that ache and pain resulting in wear and tear and age, anxiety, but also include the healthy benefits of relaxing and feeling good... of course!

Are the concerns of quality I've mentioned here minor, moderate or of major concern?  How can one tell or find out about this kind of thing? 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

What are the rules for growing your own?
    It's a fun little hobby, gardening is the best!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    brianlux said:
    I thought I'd ask this here rather than on the "I'm stoned out of my gourd RIGHT NOW!" thread or instead of creating a new one. 

My question here is mostly directed toward those who are in the know about marijuana quality in states where it is legal medically and/or for recreational use.  My curiosity was piqued by a guy I ran into who said when the California dispensaries open for recreational marijuana in January, that which will be available will be, as he put it, "like Bud Lite" and "Monsanto pot", and "over-controlled"... i.e., not great quality non-organic.  He also railed against vape pens, saying they are unhealthy to use because of what they use to atomizes the cannabis oils.  (I'm hoping vaping is actually healthier/easier on the throat than the harshness of smoking.)

My interest in the herb will be mostly for health reasons related to arthritis, muscle and worn out joints that ache and pain resulting in wear and tear and age, anxiety, but also include the healthy benefits of relaxing and feeling good... of course!

Are the concerns of quality I've mentioned here minor, moderate or of major concern?  How can one tell or find out about this kind of thing? 
    I went to a dispensary in Colorado last year. There were many different strains available in both Indica and Sativa. They had loads of options for whether you were looking to use it for medicinal or recreational purposes. I talked with several different people about the industry when I was there. So far, there is no 'Budweiser' of growers. Most of them are small, independent growers and many of them do grow organically. I'm sure you could ask in the dispensary for organic grown. 

To quell any concerns, you could always visit a grower and talk to them directly.