EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    This is very disappointing, if entirely accurate. $1.3MM pay day and he gives him a whopping $5K?!  Isn’t it customary for the caddie to make 10%?  I mean, give him a haircut to 5% since he only caddied for him for one week, but fuck...$5K? I’ve always thought Kuchar was one of the most stand up guys on tour. Not so sure anymore if this is true. 

• Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    bbiggs said:
    This is very disappointing, if entirely accurate. $1.3MM pay day and he gives him a whopping $5K?!  Isn’t it customary for the caddie to make 10%?  I mean, give him a haircut to 5% since he only caddied for him for one week, but fuck...$5K? I’ve always thought Kuchar was one of the most stand up guys on tour. Not so sure anymore if this is true. 
    It's a bad look.  Apparently this is not a new reputation...
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    bbiggs said:
    He offered him $15K more and the guy declined it.  

It sounds like the $5K figure was a lot more than the usual for a 1 week thing.  And who knows how much this caddie really even helped him that week.....obviously a 1 week fill-in local caddie isn't going to be paid like a regular caddie.  But as usual, someone makes an accusation and the person gets crucified on social media.
    bbiggs said:

It sounds like the $5K figure was a lot more than the usual for a 1 week thing.  And who knows how much this caddie really even helped him that week.....obviously a 1 week fill-in local caddie isn't going to be paid like a regular caddie.  But as usual, someone makes an accusation and the person gets crucified on social media.
    I mean, he provided the emails.  He offered $15k more after it blew up.  No one is asking for him to pay him a full 10% but $5k on a $1.3 million weekend? Come on.
    bbiggs said:

Still. That’s just over 1.5%. I guess I would like to know what the customary pay day is for a one week caddie, but assuming it’s all at the discretion of the golfer, don’t be a cheap ass Kuchar and give the guy $50K at least. You make millions a year and won $1.3MM. 

Its like Ike someone who cleans up at the blackjack table. Sure, you don’t have to tip the dealer shit. But if you don’t, you look like an ass hole. No bueno on Kuchars part here. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Yep, Kuchar is cheap,  not a bad person, but incredibly cheap.  Could have been a nice story that a hometown caddie made $50k but Kuchar decided to keep the money he will likely never live long enough to spend.
    bbiggs said:

I mean, he provided the emails.  He offered $15k more after it blew up.  No one is asking for him to pay him a full 10% but $5k on a $1.3 million weekend? Come on.
    Ahh the article wasn't clear if the $15K was before or after.  $20K for a week wouldn't have been bad.  But yeah if he only threw that 15K out there after this came out that's pretty rough. 

But who knows, maybe the caddie was garbage and Kuchar won in spite of him.  I don't pretend to know all the details and rush to judgement....but that's how things go these days.
    edited February 2019
    Seriously, what do Mid-Ams tip their caddies when they win a tournament?  These are guys with day jobs, playing courses like Pine Valley, LACC, Seminole.  The winner of a Mid Am tournament who makes absolutely nothing off the win, I would assume provides a tip approaching a grand or so for the full tournament (depending on their day job)?

Honest question. I don't know. But those guys aren't working for free out there.

And point being. If a guy who makes $0 and a trophy off a tournament is paying a grand for a week at Pine Valley, Kuch winning $1.3 mil and tipping $5k is even more outrageous.

Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
    Yep, Kuchar is cheap,  not a bad person, but incredibly cheap.  Could have been a nice story that a hometown caddie made $50k but Kuchar decided to keep the money he will likely never live long enough to spend.
    It’s actually mind-boggling how cheap he is. I agree he’s still a good guy who does a lot of good with his wealth, I’m sure, but holy shit. I wouldn't want to be his server when he’s out to dinner. 

Anyway, I’m in full-blown golf mode. Cannot wait for the weather to break. 
    bbiggs said:
    It’s actually mind-boggling how cheap he is. I agree he’s still a good guy who does a lot of good with his wealth, I’m sure, but holy shit. I wouldn't want to be his server when he’s out to dinner. 

Yeah I read that article wrong.  I thought he offered 20K originally.  5K for a win like that is pretty brutal.

This wet snow here this morning was nice huh?  Excited to get back out there this year....only played a few times last year..  Going to try to play a lot more golf this year although not sure how likely that is with baby #2 coming in May.
  • Yep, Kuchar is cheap,  not a bad person, but incredibly cheap.  Could have been a nice story that a hometown caddie made $50k but Kuchar decided to keep the money he will likely never live long enough to spend.
    His wife will spend it.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

I mean, is it any surprise that a guy rocking Sketchers is cheap?
    bbiggs said:

Yeah I read that article wrong.  I thought he offered 20K originally.  5K for a win like that is pretty brutal.

This wet snow here this morning was nice huh?  Excited to get back out there this year....only played a few times last year..  Going to try to play a lot more golf this year although not sure how likely that is with baby #2 coming in May.
    Yeah the wet snow and ice is awesome. What local course(s) do you usually play? 
    I mean, is it any surprise that a guy rocking Sketchers is cheap?
    Ha! That’s great! 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I mostly play at Mount Prospect Golf Club.   My local course and it's less than a mile away from my house.  They rehabbed the entire course 3-4 years ago and it's beautiful.  Some of the greens there are pretty brutal but it's a really nice course.  How about you?  There's so many courses in the burbs that I need to check out....it used to be brutal trying to play when I lived in the city.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

I mostly play at Mount Prospect Golf Club.   My local course and it's less than a mile away from my house.  They rehabbed the entire course 3-4 years ago and it's beautiful.  Some of the greens there are pretty brutal but it's a really nice course.  How about you?  There's so many courses in the burbs that I need to check out....it used to be brutal trying to play when I lived in the city.
    Nice. Schaumburg GC is a nice one in your neck of the woods and I used to play Oak Meadows quite a bit which isn’t too far from your area (Wooddale Rd north of Lake St). I think they changed names though. I live further west so I play a variety. Arrowhead, Indian Lakes, Klein Creek, prairie landing, to name a few. I try and mix it up between my handful of go-to courses. We are very lucky to have a lot of phenomenal golf in the area though. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited February 2019
    Welp. I'm off tomorrow and temps will be approaching 50 degrees.......and there's fucking snow on the ground (and if it's gone by tomorrow the courses will be way too muddy to play on). I've also discovered a different stretch that really helps my lower back so I really cannot wait to get out there and play pain free. Damn you weather!!!! Damn you to hell!!

chinese-happy.jpg
    Sweet Jesus, kuch. Maybe say the opposite
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Played my first round of the season today. Shot 78. I've been able to practice since we have our indoor facility but it was nice to actually get out and have real round pressure and real targets to hit to .We had some rain here over the weekend so every tee shot was all carry. Big takeaway from the round is that I need to spend more time on distance control with my wedges. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    :how_interesting:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    That is a great first round in some sloppy conditions probably.  
    When you make $200 a day.  $5k is a lot of money....good god dude
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited February 2019
    Welp. Tiger tees off this afternoon. So if I can't play golf, I shall be watching golf. 

And yeah--fuck Kuchar. That's beyond cheap.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    Welp. Tiger tees off this afternoon. So if I can't play golf, I shall be watching golf. 

And yeah--fuck Kuchar. That's beyond cheap.
    And the caddie is still saying what a nice guy he is, and that he wished it didn't become this.
    Kuchar looking more and more like a douche.
    Not a good look for Kuchar.  Sounds like they did have a specific agreement before the tourney but fuck, you just won 1.3M....throw the guy $50K.  
    Not a good look for Kuchar.  Sounds like they did have a specific agreement before the tourney but fuck, you just won 1.3M....throw the guy $50K.  
    Bingo.