Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,548
    Played Portmarnock Golf Club today.  The end of a great Ireland run of 13 courses.  I played like shit about half the rounds but who cares at the end of the day.  Such a great experience.  Skipped one round to sleep in and explore Dublin.  Courses:

Ballybunion (Old), Ballybunion (Cashen), Adare Manor, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Rosapenna (St. Patricks), Portstewart (Strand), Royal Portrush, Royal County Down, The Island, County Louth (Baltray), The European, and Portmarnock.    
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,036
    4 million for 3 days work on an easy course. Unreal
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,153

Well a certain subset of golfers have reidentified the value of money. Used to root for Cam, but Yknow, Saudis and all, no longer.

Plus, iirc, he is a Queenslander, and I recall IBF mentioning on CBS he is partial to rugby, maybe named after a famous player or shares the name... I mean, the Aussies has the most exciting sport in the world, the AFL, and QLD/NSW are partial to rugby. Go figure.
  • Options
    And Rory once again gives everyone hope he'll win a major.   What a finish.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Really good finish.  Played well even with the driver causing problems. 
  • Options
    Played in those winds a few weeks ago.  Makes me appreciate the pro game even more. 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    That was old school Rory...just an absolute killer.  That 2nd shot on 18 with that wind was incredible.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    That was old school Rory...just an absolute killer.  That 2nd shot on 18 with that wind was incredible.
    I love those head high stingers. I was trying to hit those in the wind yesterday without success.  Probably need to hood it more

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    So what do you guys think? Will Rory do it? 

17 looks like a fucking killer of a hole
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    If Rory has a good first round then I think he wins it.  I think he knows he needs to be more aggressive and rely on his short game to bail him out if he misses a green.  20 foot putts for birdie are’t going to win him the championship.   Although, I would say his final round in the US Open was more impressive than Wyndham’a because he made it look pedestrian while Wyndham needed the short game of his life.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    Rory and Wyndham both shot even in the final round of the US Open.  Wyndham had to use a bunch of heroics to win.  I would say Rory’s game beats Wyndham’s game 8 out of 10 times as Wyndham had to hit several amazing recovery shots.  

Everyone praised Wyndham but end of the day Rory played a better quality round of golf.
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516

Well a certain subset of golfers have reidentified the value of money. Used to root for Cam, but Yknow, Saudis and all, no longer.

I’m surprised some of the LIV guys wear their dumb saudi team swag, while playing in real tournaments. e.g. phil, in his van halen hat.

just turned on the open…damn, was hoping for some wind and rain.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    It's contractual I guess I thought the same how stupid it looks
     But I guess that's the world we live in. In football (soccer to you).  The Saudis are buying everyone.  No stopping them
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Rory and Wyndham both shot even in the final round of the US Open.  Wyndham had to use a bunch of heroics to win.  I would say Rory’s game beats Wyndham’s game 8 out of 10 times as Wyndham had to hit several amazing recovery shots.  

Everyone praised Wyndham but end of the day Rory played a better quality round of golf.
    Rory couldn't make a putt to save his life in that final round just like the final round at St Andrew's last year.  Clark played better and won.  Straight up.
  • Options
    Nice start by Jordan.

Anyone else get a little bit sad when the British Open comes around since you know it will be the last major of the year?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023

Rory couldn't make a putt to save his life in that final round just like the final round at St Andrew's last year.  Clark played better and won.  Straight up.
    They both shot even that round.  Rory's round was stress-free and more often than not he would have shot better with the same game he brought.  Wyndham's round was the best score he could have got with his game that he brought to the course that day.  Should scrambling for par be seen as better than a 2 putt par?   More exciting, yes.  
  • Options
    Nice start by Jordan.

Anyone else get a little bit sad when the British Open comes around since you know it will be the last major of the year?

Yeah the major gap being even longer since the PGA moved to May really stinks.  I wish they would move the PGA back to August
  • Options

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    Nice start by Jordan.

Yeah the major gap being even longer since the PGA moved to May really stinks.  I wish they would move the PGA back to August
    I know we still have Fedex Cup and Ryder Cup but it almost seems like the end of the golf season...right in the middle of summer. Weird feeling.

Maybe move The Players back to May and put the PGA back in August so you'd still have a major (ish) every month from April to August....so basically, the way it was. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Matthew Jordan has been a member of the course since the age of 10.  Got a great reception. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,731

They both shot even that round.  Rory's round was stress-free and more often than not he would have shot better with the same game he brought.  Wyndham's round was the best score he could have got with his game that he brought to the course that day.  Should scrambling for par be seen as better than a 2 putt par?   More exciting, yes.  
    So a future hall of famer and one of the tournament favorites shoots a “stress-free” even par round, and you think that’s a better round than the up-and-comer that faced adversity in his round, overcame it, and won with even par. This is beyond parody. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Nice start by Jordan.

I know we still have Fedex Cup and Ryder Cup but it almost seems like the end of the golf season...right in the middle of summer. Weird feeling.

Maybe move The Players back to May and put the PGA back in August so you'd still have a major (ish) every month from April to August....so basically, the way it was. 
    FedEx Cup ruined the major season.   We need a major in the Midwest when it is 92 degrees out.  
  • Options
    Nice start by Jordan.

FedEx Cup ruined the major season.   We need a major in the Midwest when it is 92 degrees out.  
    It's just the way they condensed the schedule. I liked the idea, initially of having everything jam packed. I just don't like how the major season ends so early. 

Maybe this would be best:

Masters-early to mid April
    Players-early to mid May
    US Open-mid June
    British Open-mid July (a week earlier than this maybe)
    PGA- early to mid August. 
    Then you'd still be able to squeeze in the Fedex Cup right before NFL starts as that's only 3 weeks now, I think. Maybe arrange for the final day to be the Saturday before the NFL's first Sunday. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options

So a future hall of famer and one of the tournament favorites shoots a “stress-free” even par round, and you think that’s a better round than the up-and-comer that faced adversity in his round, overcame it, and won with even par. This is beyond parody. 
    Yep.  I'm looking at their rounds of golf played that day.  Certainly Rory didn't achieve the objective of scoring better, but looking at their rounds Rory had the better quality round of golf.  Fairways and greens and unfortunately had too many longer putts.   Great that Wyndham scrambled well, but I'd rather not be in the position of having to scramble.    Basically, Wyndham had to work a lot harder than Rory to match Rory's score, so that to me implies Rory had the better quality round.  

Again, just looking at that final round of golf and how everyone gave Rory grief for not winning.  He had an amazing round and only lost because some no name had the best scrambling round of his life.  
  • Options

Yep.  I'm looking at their rounds of golf played that day.  Certainly Rory didn't achieve the objective of scoring better, but looking at their rounds Rory had the better quality round of golf.  Fairways and greens and unfortunately had too many longer putts.   Great that Wyndham scrambled well, but I'd rather not be in the position of having to scramble.    Basically, Wyndham had to work a lot harder than Rory to match Rory's score, so that to me implies Rory had the better quality round.  

Again, just looking at that final round of golf and how everyone gave Rory grief for not winning.  He had an amazing round and only lost because some no name had the best scrambling round of his life.  
    To hit more fairways and greens and still only manage the same score as a “no name” that was scrambling all day is a bad thing. Putting is half the game. This is like a football fan saying their team played better than the team they lost to…and basing it off beating the other team in total yards and time of possession. In football, it’d probably turnovers that did them in. (“If not for the turnovers, we would’ve won. But we played better!”) In golf, its Rory being unable to get the job done on the greens. Same thing happened in last year’s British Open. 

As for the “no name” stuff, maybe these tournaments should be only 30-man fields, so you know everyone. I mean come on, Rory and nearly everyone else was “no-name” at some point. It’s not just you though, the majority of golf fans want these big tournaments with over a hundred players competing, but are only happy when one of like seven players win. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited July 2023
    I get it, but they both shot even par.  I think we'd all prefer to shoot even par with easy par putts rather than having the scrambling round of our lives.   Maybe I'm wrong.  I probably am wrong because I apparently don't like to hit greens in regulation either :).   Rory hits one putt and Wyndham misses one putt, and the story is Rory was a technician going around the course and Wyndham was battling his swing too much.  
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree on all of this because I actually would rather have the Clark round than the Rory round. If I had to constantly scramble and ended up with a particular score, I’d feel that was the best I could’ve scored that day. But if I was hitting all the fairways and greens (not that that ever happens for me), and got that same score, I’d feel as if I should’ve scored better, but I blew it on the putting green. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    I get it.  

Internal out of bounds and hole #17.  The media is really pumping this stuff, or the pros just don't like it when they get challenged.  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,516
    FedEx thing doesn’t move the needle for me. An obscene Saudi type payout but still.,,
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16