Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    Quite a different take than Shipnuck and the LIV players have been more quiet today…

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jimmy-dunne-the-architect-of-the-pga-tour-liv-golf-deal-lays-out-the-details
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,968
    Good to see Rory playing nice golf again. 

brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,542
    Should the PGA tour players be putting some of the blame on themselves?   They wanted more money than the market would provide (market being non-Saudi funds).   So PGA tour had to dip in reserves, alienate tournaments and sponsors by making them non-elevated events, etc...  Seems like the PGA would have been fine if its players were willing to win $1.5M for a tournament instead of $3.5.  But sounds like without the extra money more would have gone to LIV.  So they can be mad at Jay and perhaps that he made it sound like the PGA could continue to fund these elevated events, but at the end of the day most are pissed that they didn't take the money from LIV when they had the chance.  

They wanted NBA and NFL money, but only 10 or so players on the PGA Tour are legitimate stars (if that).  I bet Xander and Catlay could go anywhere in America except for golf courses and the towns they live and get recognized by 1 out of 1,000 people.  And these are top 10 people on the PGA Tour.
  • Options
    No laying up, Tommy!! What a horrendous shot 
  • Options
    Two putts to go to a playoff and he looks like he’s gonna cry
  • Options
    I repeat, no laying up, Tommy!

go Canada 
  • Options
    What a putt. This is fun 
  • Options
    That was incredible 
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,474
    What a finish for the RBC, incredible 72' putt for the win!! Way to go Nick Taylor 🇨🇦
    Then  poor Hadwin getting tackled while going out to celebrate with his fellow Canadian lol
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    BLACK35 said:
    What a finish for the RBC, incredible 72' putt for the win!! Way to go Nick Taylor 🇨🇦
    Then  poor Hadwin getting tackled while going out to celebrate with his fellow Canadian lol
    I switched back and forth to this all day then watched the playoff.  That 72' putt was amazing.  What a way to end it.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Was hoping that Fleetwood would finally win one but that putt by Taylor was incredible. Longest winning putt I can think of other than that 90-footer by Harold Varner a few years back. 

As for Hadwin, he's taking it in stride. He and his wife have both made jokes about it on Twitter. Good for him. So many guys would make it into a way bigger deal than it had to be. But it was just an honest mistake by the overzealous security guy, and it gave everyone a laugh.....

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Was hoping that Fleetwood would finally win one but that putt by Taylor was incredible. Longest winning putt I can think of other than that 90-footer by Harold Varner a few years back. 

As for Hadwin, he's taking it in stride. He and his wife have both made jokes about it on Twitter. Good for him. So many guys would make it into a way bigger deal than it had to be. But it was just an honest mistake by the overzealous security guy, and it gave everyone a laugh.....

Funny what you say about Fleetwood.  When I heard he hadn't won, I didn't believe that, but he hasn't won on the PGA tour.  But has he has victories on the Euro tour.  He didn't join the PGA until 2018.  

I thought it was great golf yesterday, lot of fun to watch that last two hours.  
  • Options
    Not sure why everyone is feeling bad for the Canadian Open.  I bet they love all the controversy created the week of their event the last two years.  More people were watching because of it I'm sure.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Good video of Hadwin and other Canadian players reacting to the winning putt...

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    LaFleurLaFleur Posts: 791
    funny  rfunny  Happy canada day Canada day Canadian things
    Barrie - '98
    Toronto - '96, '00, '03, '05, '06, '16, '20, '22
    Ottawa - '16, '20, '22
    Hamilton - '20, '22
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Not sure why everyone is feeling bad for the Canadian Open.  I bet they love all the controversy created the week of their event the last two years.  More people were watching because of it I'm sure.
    Have you ever seen such a raucous crowd?  They were having a bit of fun in the stands.

And the stands.  The one errant shot that went in the grandstand.  The people picked up the ball, took pics of it and then put it back.  When Fleetwood and his caddy went over there you can hear the people ask if the caddie if they want the ball back and can we pick it up, lol?!?  Um yeah, you did more than that already.
  • Options
    Have you ever seen such a raucous crowd?  They were having a bit of fun in the stands.

And the stands.  The one errant shot that went in the grandstand.  The people picked up the ball, took pics of it and then put it back.  When Fleetwood and his caddy went over there you can hear the people ask if the caddie if they want the ball back and can we pick it up, lol?!?  Um yeah, you did more than that already.
    The atmosphere was great! I thought the same about the whole golf ball into the stands. I pointed that out right away to my wife
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    I'm glad/happy that Taylor won, we'll deserved. But was really hoping that it was gonna be Conners that pulled it out, I only live 35 mins from where  he grew up. 
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2023
    BLACK35 said:
    I'm glad/happy that Taylor won, well deserved. But was really hoping that it was gonna be Conners that pulled it out, I only live 35 mins from where  he grew up. 
    Conners needs to learn how to finish. He fades in too many tournaments. I’m a fan, but the short game holds him back. It’s putting at that level that wins tournaments 

Hopefully this restores some glory to the third oldest golf tournament in the world. The PGA tour has done whatever it fucking could to marginalize what should be a prestigious event.  Rory gets it. Jack Nicklaus got it, Woods got it early in his career. It was the “fifth major” for a long time. 

The tournament should be moved so it isn’t the week ahead of the US Open. Nonetheless, the stars who do play the Canadian Open know it’s a great tournament. Since the Saudis bought the tour, they can put it in a rightful spot on the schedule. Maybe set up an oil tanker off Lake Ontario to drive the ball off of on the first hole. 

While a Canadian hadn’t won the Canadian Open in a long time, it is seemingly long forgotten that Mike Weir did win the Air Canada Championship by two shots over Fred Funk in 1999. That was a tournament that ran at the Northview Golf Club in Surrey BC (near Vancouver) from 1996-2002. I had just heard/read in a few places that it had been a “100 years since a Canadian born player won on Canadian soil”, which was incorrect.  Obviously, not the Canadian Open but an official PGA event. 

As for Nick Taylor, since he changed his putting grip, he has been on fire. This has been coming all season. What a victory. You could see it in his face, he was determined, focused. He could deal with the crowds supporting him. Hopefully this is his coming out party. 

Four different Canadian winners this year. Never could have fathomed Dave Barr, Dick Zokol, Dan Halldorson and Jim Nelford all winning in the same year when I was a kid lol. 

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Being on the east coast I love getting to watch prime time golf. Especially a major.

What's your order of the majors in terms of favorites? Mine is:

The Masters

The Open/US Open (these are 2a and 2b for me. Interchangeable based on venue)

PGA Championship
  • Options
    bflynn1 said:
    Being on the east coast I love getting to watch prime time golf. Especially a major.

The Masters

PGA Championship
    US Open
    British
    Masters
    PGA

I love watching the pros struggle in brutal conditions, whether it's the rough of the US open or the weather at the British.  When the weather is calm in Britain, I am super disappointed.  
  • Options
    Hopefully Jay is okay and nothing serious.  The guy is in a tough spot.  Imagine having to do business deals with murderers (and calling them murderers is probably the nicest word you could use).  
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,431
    mrussel1 said:
    bflynn1 said:

The Masters

PGA Championship
    US Open
    British
    Masters
    PGA

I love watching the pros struggle in brutal conditions, whether it's the rough of the US open or the weather at the British.  When the weather is calm in Britain, I am super disappointed.  
    I'm not a big Golf fan, but I'm with you on the US Open and the weather for the British.

US Open
    Masters
    PGA
    British(goes to #2 if the weather is BAD=HAHA)
  • Options
    If I were to win one, I would pick the Open because it is the oldest and played on courses that are similar to the roots of the game.  

For watching though:
    Masters
    The Open
    US Open
    PGA (would rather watch the Players)
  • Options
    Fowler and Xander are en fuego. 
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Take a shot every time they say barranca lol
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,480
    mrussel1 said:
    bflynn1 said:

The Masters

PGA Championship
    US Open
    British
    Masters
    PGA

I’m super disappointed that this US Open is playing so easy. Can they toughen it up overnight?

who are the members of LACC? I heard they don’t like “celebrities.” So, just really rich dudes?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,298
    Put a little $$ on Rory as his round was ending....then he immediately proceeds to bogey 18. Still like him this weekend though.

Also really happy to see Ricky playing so well. Hope it continues. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, Ricky bet on himself versus taking LIV money.  Dude didn’t need money but still cool he didn’t run to LIV because of his game.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Yeah, Ricky bet on himself versus taking LIV money.  Dude didn’t need money but still cool he didn’t run to LIV because of his game.
    Yeah that was one dude I wouldn't have blamed at all if he went.  He was completely lost and had a $75M offer.  Great to see him back playing well.