The Golf Thread

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Look, I was in my early 20's in the late 90's. If my buddies and I had any kind of money back then and flew out to this tournament, and social media existed, you very could have seen a near blacked out Juggler on twitter pounding way too many beers and heckling anyone and everyone who got within a 30 foot radius of me.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Look, I was in my early 20's in the late 90's. If my buddies and I had any kind of money back then and flew out to this tournament, and social media existed, you very could have seen a near blacked out Juggler on twitter pounding way too many beers and heckling anyone and everyone who got within a 30 foot radius of me.
    1. You're old! 2. Completely agree and I am in the same boat. I would have been an idiot there.  I was an idiot at other sporting events, until closer to 30 or so. Hell, I can still be a jackass. That said, I just don't like the celebration of it and do think it leads to the tools yelling after every shot at other tournaments.  Players are complaining day in and day out, and I think it stems from this crowd taking a bigger and bigger liking to going to golf tournaments and I think the WM leads the way on that.

Golf is better without that crowd
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Yep.  I would have loved to have gone to this tournament 10-15 years ago. 

The Tour is obviously doing as much as they can to appeal to younger people and this tournament is a big part of it.  I don't have a problem with it.  And like you said earlier, there are going to be drunken assholes at any sporting even you go to.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Spent 2 and half hours at the driving range today. Weather was 70 degrees. Hit two buckets of balls, chipped/pitched and putted. Great day. 68 tomorrow but then back down to 30s and 40s again. 
    Forgot about using our indoor facility they just opened at the range. I spent another hour and a half there today. It has a full putting green, 6 hitting bays that face out to the range (with heaters if needed), and a simulator with 53 courses to play.  
    Surprised so many big name guys play in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.  Seems like a giant pain in the ass to be playing your own ball as well as alternate shot with whatever amateur you get paired up with.  Regardless of that, what a beautiful setting....had a chance to extend my trip a couple days and go hang in that area a few years back when I was in SF and didn't do it.  Really regret that one.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Surprised so many big name guys play in the Pebble Beach Pro-Am.  Seems like a giant pain in the ass to be playing your own ball as well as alternate shot with whatever amateur you get paired up with.  Regardless of that, what a beautiful setting....had a chance to extend my trip a couple days and go hang in that area a few years back when I was in SF and didn't do it.  Really regret that one.
    I wouldn’t regret not playing pebble for the $700 price tag (with caddy). Take that money and go play bandon dunes a little bit north of there and get a damn near equal experience for half the price. 
    Better field this year because of the us open 
    bbiggs said:
    I wouldn’t regret not playing pebble for the $700 price tag (with caddy). Take that money and go play bandon dunes a little bit north of there and get a damn near equal experience for half the price. 
    Oh no it wasn't to actually play golf there...just to go stay in that area for a couple days.  I'm nowhere near good enough to even consider paying that much for a round of golf!
    edited February 2019

True.  But always seems to be a very solid field every year for what pretty much is a gimmick tournament.  Always hear about how much the golfers hate the Wednesday pro-am day before a tournament starts.  But hey, I guess Bill Murray will do something wacky!  I wish he would just go away..
    bbiggs said:
    Oh no it wasn't to actually play golf there...just to go stay in that area for a couple days.  I'm nowhere near good enough to even consider paying that much for a round of golf!
    Gotcha. I hear it’s a beautiful area. Many people put Pebble Beach on their bucket list for playing golf. It would be great to play on someone else’s dime. I just think there are far better values out there when talking about the premier courses. Brandon Dunes is on my bucket list for sure. 
    edited February 2019
    Bandon Dunes, while it looks incredible and I am sure is legit, is the hipster golf resort at the moment I feel like.
    edited February 2019
    bbiggs said:
    Wrong post to respond to

True.  But always seems to be a very solid field every year for what pretty much is a gimmick tournament.  Always hear about how much the golfers hate the Wednesday pro-am day before a tournament starts.  But hey, I guess Bill Murray will do something wacky!  I wish he would just go away..
    Yeah, mostly the same guys every year right? I mean, they get to play 3 awesome courses, walk away with a solid purse and DJ gets to golf and hang out with his father in law, Phil gets to drink bananas expensive wine and hang out, Snedeker gets to play with that Vanderbilt guy.  Feel like most of them had a reason for being there outside of just a golf tournament.
    But yeah, tired of the same pro-am stuff.
    Bandon Dunes, while it looks incredible and I am sure is legit, is the hipster golf resort at the moment I feel like.
    Damn I didn’t even know that. I’ve had it on my list since around 2007 or so when I first heard of it. Odds are I won’t get there anyway. I have a hard enough time getting 4 guys to commit to a local Friday afternoon round let alone a trip to Oregon. Lol. I should reset my sights on Kohler, WI 
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited February 2019
    Is Manboobs going to implode 3 strokes back from Casey?!
    Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Most certainly.

Most certainly.
    The all time money leader at pebble is going to implode? Not sure he can catch him but have a tough time seeing him crash.  Have him in my one and done and would love a win early so pulling for him big time 
  • It’s pouring freezing rain right now. Crazy conditions, anything could happen out there.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Let’s fucking go Phil!
    Absolutely, go Phil!
    I’m out on Phil after the us open nonsense but let’s fucking go
    There are few things in golf I hate more than playing a brutal par 3. There are few things in golf I enjoy more than watching pros get butchered on a brutal par 3.
    Scott stallings has lost a ton of weight. I almost don’t recognize him. 
    edited February 2019
    bbiggs said:
    Scott stallings has lost a ton of weight. I almost don’t recognize him. 
    I walked with stallings during a late afternoon practice round at Merion when the course was pretty much cleared out. Super cool to hear him and his caddie talk about the course

But yeah, completely different 
    Hot take. Si woo shakin that ass wins a major before hideki 
    Phil is a jerkoff 
  • Casey was so annoying to watch today.
    Central Park 15

Casey was so annoying to watch today.
    He was slow. But for this tournament the pace wasn’t terrible, all things considered 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490

Most certainly.
    You called it.