Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    goodbye PGA Tour. Can’t imagine I’ll be watching anymore. Not even sure I have the stomach to watch the US Open.

When the Saudis announced the other day they were cutting production again, I wondered if that was to raise oil prices to pay Phil and Brooks. 

I guess the PGA doesn’t mind giving the finger to all the 9/11 families. The PGA were in a difficult spot, but picked the worst possible choice.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I guess I can’t fault the players like I did as they were blindsided.  Now, indirectly they may have played a role if they were holding the tour hostage for more money and threatening to go to LIV (likely).  

$100M or legacy.   Hmnnnn…..  Tiger averaged like $6M a year from winnings.  Small sum for an all time great.  If you want to make football or baseball money LIV was the way to go.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Here’s the interview. 

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,459
    I hope the players he suckered have the power to boot monahan. what a disingenuous POS.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    I guess I can’t fault the players like I did as they were blindsided.  Now, indirectly they may have played a role if they were holding the tour hostage for more money and threatening to go to LIV (likely).  

$100M or legacy.   Hmnnnn…..  Tiger averaged like $6M a year from winnings.  Small sum for an all time great.  If you want to make football or baseball money LIV was the way to go.
    I don't blame the PGA players at all.  It's not like they have a collective bargaining contract and a seat. 

I won't be making any declarations about not watching yet... I know better.  But I do want to see how this plays out next year. 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    All will be forgotten if the players all come out with similar amounts of money. They are going to have to find a way to make the guys that stayed whole, obviously. My guess is that the ones that come back get some sort of fine, suspension and are ineligible for PIP money for a year or two which will be for obscene amounts of money.

Looking forward to firing up some podcasts here. Crazy fucking day.

• Options
    edited June 2023
    Alan Shipnuck’s latest podcast is worth a listen. He’s a golf writer that wrote the Phil book that started a lot of the shitstorm. Norman and Phil hate him even though he covers LIV very fairly. He also just finished a book on PGA vs. LIV (that he said he now needs to update). The pod gives good insight into what’s going on with all this. 

Shipnuck seems to think LIV is going to move on in a very similar fashion as it is modeled today. That’s not the sense I got from everything today, so we’ll see

edit: details on that here.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/jay-monahan-doesnt-expect-liv-golf-to-continue-in-2024-in-its-current-form
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    Golf to me is my 12 handicap playing courses on the weekend.  The pro game is becoming silly.  
  • Options
    Alan Shipnuck’s latest podcast is worth a listen. He’s a golf writer that wrote the Phil book that started a lot of the shitstorm. Norman and Phil hate him even though he covers LIV very fairly. He also just finished a book on PGA vs. LIV (that he said he now needs to update). The pod gives good insight into what’s going on with all this. 

Shipnuck seems to think LIV is going to move on in a very similar fashion as it is modeled today. That’s not the sense I got from everything today, so we’ll see
    Similar but with non-LIV guys able to play. My early speculation is it sounds like it’s going to be what I wanted the whole time: guys like Phil and DJ being able to play Tour events, and say a Jon Rahm being able to be Sergio Garcia’s team’s hired gun for a LIV tournament in Spain…or something. 

Whatever happens will be the biggest thing to ever happen in professional golf. Like the NFL/AFL merger in football in a way. A moment you can look back on decades later as “when things changed.” Very, very interesting. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options

Similar but with non-LIV guys able to play. My early speculation is it sounds like it’s going to be what I wanted the whole time: guys like Phil and DJ being able to play Tour events, and say a Jon Rahm being able to be Sergio Garcia’s team’s hired gun for a LIV tournament in Spain…or something. 

Whatever happens will be the biggest thing to ever happen in professional golf. Like the NFL/AFL merger in football in a way. A moment you can look back on decades later as “when things changed.” Very, very interesting. 
    I don’t think that anything along those lines is mildly thought about yet…

What will future schedule and tournament formats look like?

While the deal has been described as a unification of the competing tours, they're going to continue to be separate entities for the rest of this season. The final seven LIV Golf League events will go on as planned, starting with a tournament in Spain at the end of this month. The season ends with a team championship in Saudi Arabia in early November.

The PGA Tour's plan to stage elevated events with no cuts and reduced fields in 2024 and beyond isn't expected to change.

The bigger question is what happens to the LIV Golf League after this season. The Saudis have invested more than $2 billion into the venture, and the league's lawyers said in court documents obtained by ESPN in February that it generated virtually no revenue in its first season in 2022. The league's season debut in Mayakoba, Mexico, and second in Tucson, Arizona, drew low ratings. LIV Golf has since declined to provide TV ratings.

With the Saudis planning to invest billions of additional dollars into the new entity and the PGA Tour as one of its premier corporate sponsors, it might no longer have an interest in continuing to fund the LIV Golf League with little financial return.

The team format could be folded into the PGA Tour schedule, or the LIV Golf League might continue in some iteration that takes place in the fall after the PGA Tour season concludes. But there seem to be serious questions about the future of the LIV Golf League.

"We're in a framework agreement," Monahan said. "We haven't concluded the definitive agreement. I have not had the opportunity that I'm going to have to conduct a comprehensive empirical evaluation [of LIV Golf]. I don't want to make any statements or make any predictions. But what is in place is a commitment to make a good-faith effort to look at team golf and the role it can play going forward."

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    cutz said:
    Anyone that brings up or was the reason for not liking the PGA players going to LIV should watch this.

It was NEVER about 9/11.  It was about money, that's it.  Trying to get rid of competition.

One thing it did do?  It made the PGA open up their wallets and pay the players more so if anything those that went to LIV should be thanked.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742

While the deal has been described as a unification of the competing tours, they're going to continue to be separate entities for the rest of this season. The final seven LIV Golf League events will go on as planned, starting with a tournament in Spain at the end of this month. The season ends with a team championship in Saudi Arabia in early November.

The PGA Tour's plan to stage elevated events with no cuts and reduced fields in 2024 and beyond isn't expected to change.

The bigger question is what happens to the LIV Golf League after this season. The Saudis have invested more than $2 billion into the venture, and the league's lawyers said in court documents obtained by ESPN in February that it generated virtually no revenue in its first season in 2022. The league's season debut in Mayakoba, Mexico, and second in Tucson, Arizona, drew low ratings. LIV Golf has since declined to provide TV ratings.

With the Saudis planning to invest billions of additional dollars into the new entity and the PGA Tour as one of its premier corporate sponsors, it might no longer have an interest in continuing to fund the LIV Golf League with little financial return.

The team format could be folded into the PGA Tour schedule, or the LIV Golf League might continue in some iteration that takes place in the fall after the PGA Tour season concludes. But there seem to be serious questions about the future of the LIV Golf League.

"We're in a framework agreement," Monahan said. "We haven't concluded the definitive agreement. I have not had the opportunity that I'm going to have to conduct a comprehensive empirical evaluation [of LIV Golf]. I don't want to make any statements or make any predictions. But what is in place is a commitment to make a good-faith effort to look at team golf and the role it can play going forward."

A LIV style team series money grab in the fall seems like the only way LIV would actually continue.  If only Monahan had taken a meeting with the Saudis 2-3 years ago when they were looking to invest in the world of golf.  Could have avoided all of this nonsense from the last couple years.  At the end of the day hopefully this just leads to the best players playing tournaments together again.  I'm so over the PGA Tour vs LIV battle.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,939
    Like there was no money in golf before Liv?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options

A LIV style team series money grab in the fall seems like the only way LIV would actually continue.  If only Monahan had taken a meeting with the Saudis 2-3 years ago when they were looking to invest in the world of golf.  Could have avoided all of this nonsense from the last couple years.  At the end of the day hopefully this just leads to the best players playing tournaments together again.  I'm so over the PGA Tour vs LIV battle.
    I'm over men's pro golf.  Not that the women's game would be any different, but the money isn't as big of an issue as there isn't much to send around.   
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,145
    Played on Monday & Tuesday on Long Island 

monday- Brentwood cc, never played here before. Foxes all over the coarse, they wait for handouts 🤣

yesterday played Bethpage-Green, adjacent to the famous black coarse. My buddy booked before seeing the forecast. Got caught up in a gnarly hail storm, lightning…crazy shit

im playing really well… been hitting the gym last year more than I ever have, stretching, running… had 2 birdies yesterday 

that’s hail near the beer can
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    This guy is delusional. Doesn’t he realize “bringing those guys back in” isn’t going to be up to him or any other Tour player? 

Edit: To follow up on this, some guys may have to requalify for the Tour. I'd have no issue with that. But for Phil and DJ who have lifetime exemptions, and Koepka who has a five-year exception based on winning the PGA last month, they should be able to waltz right back onto the Tour when this new deal is finalized. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Hasn't everyone said that if and when they come back there will be a punishment of sorts?

Again, my guess is that they are ineligible for a massive PIP and at the end of the day everyone is going to be made whole and they will all be fine with it.

Rory was pretty spot on with what he has said.  At the end of the day, everyone is going to bicker about how it all came about, but it seems like it's what they all wanted in the end.

• Options
    Also curious when LIV dies outside of some limited team stuff, if the LIV bots (guy above me included) will spin this.  Perhaps it wasn't about the format after all?
  • Options
    Hasn't everyone said that if and when they come back there will be a punishment of sorts?

Again, my guess is that they are ineligible for a massive PIP and at the end of the day everyone is going to be made whole and they will all be fine with it.

Rory was pretty spot on with what he has said.  At the end of the day, everyone is going to bicker about how it all came about, but it seems like it's what they all wanted in the end.

But that's before the the PIF was the going to be primary investor in the PGA Tour...which seemed impossible a year ago. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Also curious when LIV dies outside of some limited team stuff, if the LIV bots (guy above me included) will spin this.  Perhaps it wasn't about the format after all?
    lol, how am I a "LIV bot"? 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    edited June 2023

But that's before the the PIF was the going to be primary investor in the PGA Tour...which seemed impossible a year ago. 
    That was said yesterday. Monahan said the path for forward for them rejoining wasn't straightforward and that they PGA guys would be made whole over time.
  • Options

That was said yesterday. Monahan said the path for forward for them rejoining wasn't straightforward and that they PGA guys would be made whole over time.
    I don't even know what this means. Path forward isn't straightforward? PGA guys would be "made whole over time"? What does this mean?

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    This guy is delusional. Doesn’t he realize “bringing those guys back in” isn’t going to be up to him or any other Tour player? 

Edit: To follow up on this, some guys may have to requalify for the Tour. I'd have no issue with that. But for Phil and DJ who have lifetime exemptions, and Koepka who has a five-year exception based on winning the PGA last month, they should be able to waltz right back onto the Tour when this new deal is finalized. 
    I don't know if he's delusional or not, but he's right.  They did harm the tour and there should be something.  Understood about lifetime exemptions, they are what they are.  But even though Rory doesn't have a seat at the table, he's got a huge microphone and people want to hear what he has to say as much, or more than Monahan.  So I say good for Rory.  
  • Options

I don't even know what this means. Path forward isn't straightforward? PGA guys would be "made whole over time"? What does this mean?
    That they are not just joining PGA tour events without some sort of punishment and that the PGA guys will in the end make the same amount as the LIV guys or how much they are worth.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,742
    Come on Cliffy, it was all about growing the game!!
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    Come on Cliffy, it was all about growing the game!!

I realize you are likely throwing shade at them, but how are they ever going to grow the game to a multi billion dollar sport like the NFL or NBA.? That seems impossible based on the history of every single golf tour that ever existed. Its not like these players can draw the type of money the big three sports do. The money, unfortunately, is just not on that level for golf. Until we started overpaying for oil, of course.

Let’s be honest, Koepka and Phil are not generating hundreds of millions or billions of dollars, no matter what they do. They took a bribe plain and simple, and do not care why the Saudis are willing to lose billions of dollars to take over the tour. Now we don’t have a tour, the people who gut us for oil profits do. 

Just got my heating bill, $4.70 a gallon after peak season ended ffs. Thanks Phil and Brooks, hope you enjoy my cash!
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I kinda blew this off when he was saying this on Twitter, but did assume it would be harder to pass in Europe

https://www.thebignewsletter.com/p/the-saudi-pga-golf-deal-isnt-going

Is Jay/Saudi play chess to kill LIV and invest in the PGA?  Basically the deal gets killed, without the PGA there is no viable way to continue LIV financially so that dies, then they turn around and put all that money into the PGA.

Or Shipnuck is right and all things move ahead full steam?

Or something in the middle?

Basically, no one knows anything and I'd say the ones pounding their chest the hardest right now (LIV), might want to take a breather. 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Wrong thread.