The Food Thread

Comments

• Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    rgambs said:
    Ms. Haiku said:l
    I have been cooking more on the weekends and I chop a lot of onions. I'm at work and my fingers smell like onions. 
    I get that all the time.  Onions, garlic, and stinky bud.
    It's a fucking health hazard because I can't quit smelling my fingers and basking in the glory.

That's exactly it!

There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    What are you people eating for the Super Bowl.  Trying to figure this out.  Just going to be the wife and myself this year...life changes with an infant.  Trying to figure out what I want to eat.  Thinking about grilling since it will be warmer out.  Wings on the grill?  Ribs? 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    OK, Super Bowl spreads - always looking for an idea or two.
    This year, had some requests:

Store trash, tastes so good:
    • High quality cheeses
    • Smoked salmon
    • pepperoni/smoked meats
    • variety of crackers
    • hummus / pita
    Items to prepare/make:
    • lightly fried shrimp /lettuce bowls
    • guacamole
    • salsa
    • tortilla chips
    • mini pigs in a blanket (some fried, some baked...the 4 year old would push his grandmother out of the way for these)
    • chicken wings (a maybe)
    • crab (snow, I am thinking)

Sure my mother in law will bring something.  Don't want to do anything too involved, have done that prior years and it takes away from my time walking around with Das Horn, filled at all times with cold, Coors Lights.

What are y'all making -- what sounds amazing, what sounds quick or can be prepared in advance that I can steal....

The love he receives is the love that is saved

• High quality cheeses
    • Smoked salmon
    • pepperoni/smoked meats
    • variety of crackers
    • hummus / pita
    Items to prepare/make:
    • guacamole
    • salsa
    • tortilla chips
    • mini pigs in a blanket (some fried, some baked...the 4 year old would push his grandmother out of the way for these)

Sure my mother in law will bring something.  Don't want to do anything too involved, have done that prior years and it takes away from my time walking around with Das Horn, filled at all times with cold, Coors Lights.

What are y'all making -- what sounds amazing, what sounds quick or can be prepared in advance that I can steal....

Bite your tongue on smoked salmon being trash!

Thinking picky food.  I like it. I like the fried shrimp idea.  Maybe fried shrimp, grilled wings and some guac/chips. I think the avocados have been looking decent of late.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587

• High quality cheeses
    • Smoked salmon
    • pepperoni/smoked meats
    • variety of crackers
    • hummus / pita
    Items to prepare/make:
    • guacamole
    • salsa
    • tortilla chips

Bite your tongue on smoked salmon being trash!

Thinking picky food.  I like it. I like the fried shrimp idea.  Maybe fried shrimp, grilled wings and some guac/chips. I think the avocados have been looking decent of late.
    Freshly made guac is killer.  Tomatos are not as great this time of year...but fresh and pairing with fried up tortilla chips?
    Money.

And yes, you are right on the SS.  Only meant that it is stuff I just buy and open vs. prepare.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    We've got some squaw candy. That stuff is the tits.

My wife usually makes a seven-layer dip for the SB. I eat the dip and usually ignore the SB. Last year's game was good, though.

LA Rams.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399

I recently discovered this wonderful stuff.

going to do up a pork butt in the crockpot for 16 hours then shred it for the SB.

i hope Brady breaks a leg. Like actually breaks a leg.
    Smoked salmon with capers, red onion, cucumber tomato and a little bit of cream cheese on a bagel this morning. Breakfast does not get better than that. Oh a bottle of champagne too.

dry brined wings on the grill. Fried shrimp, some tossed in hot sauce, some with homemade cocktail sauce for the game 

Those wings in the hot sauce we're so awesome!
    edited February 2019
    Bravo. I was going to say the wings look awesome. Little more tomato than I go for in my guac but all looks fucking banging. Bravo.

wings on my end turned out Fucking perfect too. I got a good thing down. Fried shrimp...eh. Didn’t have enough oil with threw me off. By the end and a pan/pot switch I was good but started out shaky. I’ll get pics from the wife tomorro
    Those were the before pics on the piggies.  The four year old made them all of the way, they were great 

And....1 part butter 3 parts hot sauce is a winner!
    Those hot wings (I caught the past few) we were the best
    And....1 part butter 3 parts hot sauce is a winner!
    Those hot wings (I caught the past few) we were the best
    I did a stick of butter, a bunch of hot sauce, some cayenne and garlic powder. Dry brined the wings with salt and baking powder.
    grilled lowish for 15 then jacked it up for 10. Tossed them in the hot sauce and back on the grill on high’ish for a few. Perfecto 
    Sounds amazing
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    Those were the before pics on the piggies.  The four year old made them all of the way, they were great 

The piggies in the blanket caught my eye  :)
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Ms. Haiku said:

I was going to mention the commitment to hand wrapping the blankets on the piggies.  Well done!
    Get_Right said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

I was going to mention the commitment to hand wrapping the blankets on the piggies.  Well done!
    The 4 year old did strong work!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Get_Right said:
    Ms. Haiku said:

The 4 year old did strong work!
    And I am guessing you can get better quality pigs when you do it yourself.  What is the blanket?  Crescent roll dough?
    Exactly correct.
    Indian night! This place has mild, medium, hot, Indian hot and house hot. We went house hot. Fuck me
    Ha.  How badhot is it?
    Worried about the inside of your asscheeks being burnt, hot?
    edited February 2019
    Ha.  How badhot is it?
    Worried about the inside of your asscheeks being burnt, hot?
    It’s hot. I’m in bad shape. Hiccups and all. First couple bites were good but it goes down hill in a hurry. The food was absolutely delicious though 

yeah im fucked up from it. Jesus 
    Ha.  Be sure to let us know just how bad it ends up!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

Indian night! This place has mild, medium, hot, Indian hot and house hot. We went house hot. Fuck me
    Damn.
    That's Ballsy.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Baking Chilean style empanadas today they are going in 400 degree oven bake for 15-20 minutes.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Baking Chilean style empanadas today they are going in 400 degree oven bake for 15-20 minutes.
    Oh damn!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    These are them before I close them up to bake ..
    These just came out of oven ..
    These are really good with tea in the morning or afternoon or anytime of day lol ..