Polar Vortex

I know this was discussed in threads from 2014, but what in the F is going on? We’ve already been seeing temps below 0 degrees F. Now another foot of snow Monday. Then a high of -12F and low of -25F with wind chills of -50F by Wednesday.  I’ve lived in Chicago my entire life and never heard “polar vortex” until 2014. Now we get one every 5 years? Anyone else sick of this? Maybe time to make the trek south. 

Comments

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    Winter is cool until the holidays and NFL playoffs end....after that---the next couple months are absolute fucking trash. 

In the Philly area, we luckily haven't gotten any real snow since November but temps have been below average all season long. Sucks. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    Winter is cool until the holidays and NFL playoffs end....after that---the next couple months are absolute fucking trash. 

In the Philly area, we luckily haven't gotten any real snow since November but temps have been below average all season long. Sucks. 
    Agreed. I like the 4 seasons and like winter sports, etc., but this -50 shit is ridiculous. Maybe I’m just getting old and soft. Who knows. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    bbiggs said:

Agreed. I like the 4 seasons and like winter sports, etc., but this -50 shit is ridiculous. Maybe I’m just getting old and soft. Who knows. 
    Yeah that’s just absurd -anything is insane I can’t handle extreme cold like that ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    Makes it worse when you're sitting inside watching golf too. Trust me. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    We don’t have the cold but it rained something like 184 days last year. Wtf?!
    i remember last year it didn’t get above ten degrees for about two weeks and we were absolutely miserable. I feel for you bud. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    And I'm not driving an hour and a half to the dome on I294.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    Drink More Stout. B)
    I'm 2 hrs east of chicago, this weeks gonna be a bear.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Polar Vortex?

Back in the day we referred to it as, "Its really fucking cold outside today!!" 

Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Would be a cool name for band
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • The high temperature for Chicago this Wednesday? The WARMEST it will be?

Polar Vortex?

Back in the day we referred to it as, "Its really fucking cold outside today!!" 

This is my exact point. Since when did this polar vortex crap become a thing? I do know one thing. These are record breaking temps...and not in a good way. Holy F is it cold outside. 
  • All I know is, I have to go outside today and get an oil change for my car, and fill it up with gas. I hope my we-we doesn't fall off.
    Malroth said:
    Drink More Stout. B)
    I can live with that advice! ;)

This week is gonna suck.  My biggest concern is pipes freezing or my furnace taking a dive when it’s -50 wind chills. What a joke to even say -50. Lol. Plus I have to be downtown Thursday morning in that shit. I’m not even sure taking the Metra in those temps is a great idea. 
  • Chicago will be a ghost town this week. Nobody will be going to work Wednesday. They will either be calling in sick, or their cars wont be starting. And yes, Metra will be a nightmare.
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    Drink More Stout. B)

This week is gonna suck.  My biggest concern is pipes freezing or my furnace taking a dive when it’s -50 wind chills. What a joke to even say -50. Lol. Plus I have to be downtown Thursday morning in that shit. I’m not even sure taking the Metra in those temps is a great idea. 
    -50?! That is fucking insane.  Time to book a last second vacation to Florida.  
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    Drink More Stout. B)

That’s estimated wind chills but the actual temp is expected to be -25. It’s f’n insane dude. It hurts just to breathe in that shit. It actually got down to around -40 without wind chills in 2014. Hard to comprehend. I remember thinking that 0 degrees felt balmy after that day as it started to warm up. Lol 
    Look at the bright side: it will be a great opportunity to stay inside and get a little more practice time with the guitar. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Last December when I visited my family in VT for about a week the warmest it got on the thermometer was -17.  With wind chill it was down around the -50 range.
    Was fucking ridiculous.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    edited January 2019
    I feel like these polar vortex’s are new in the last 6-8 years.  I grew up in Chicago area and remembered getting a LOT more snow as a kid but now it seems like it is 1 or 2 big snows a year with just extreme cold (in Indy).  
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Uhhh yeah this week is going to suck.  I'm guessing everything is going to be shut down on Wednesday.  
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,710
    Would be a cool name for band
    and someone took my idea!

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Look at the bright side: it will be a great opportunity to stay inside and get a little more practice time with the guitar. 
    This is a great idea. The problem is my fingertips are chapped and cracked from being out in the polar vortex shoveling every day...can’t win! 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    Drink More Stout. B)

That’s estimated wind chills but the actual temp is expected to be -25. It’s f’n insane dude. It hurts just to breathe in that shit. It actually got down to around -40 without wind chills in 2014. Hard to comprehend. I remember thinking that 0 degrees felt balmy after that day as it started to warm up. Lol 
    We’ll be putting up with the same bullshit here in the Twin Cities, except we’re getting snow in front of the cold. Possibly 12” of the stuff.  I’m super excited to get out and snowblow at 5am tomorrow.  The Dept. of Transportation here stated everyone should plan on starting their commutes at least  an hour earlier since their expecting bedlam on the roads. The northern part of Minnesota where I’m originally from had temps in the -30s and -40s this weekend, and that isn’t including the windchill.
    ^ Absolutely brutal. We’re getting the snow tonight too. Then the cold front comes through. Gonna be a fun week! 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I'm with you here in MN. Getting 8-12 tonight and then the mercury falls off the damn thermometer starting Tuesday morning. A high of -18 on Wednesday with it being -35 and wind chill to -54 in the morning. Fucking crazy. I work for a college and we are already planning to be closed for that day if not by early Tuesday evening. Cold like this doesn't happen often. I was wracking my brain tonight trying to make sure my house and vehicles are prepared for such cold weather, and then there's the poor chickens out in the coop with no heat and minimal insulation. Going to have to seal that thing up tight tomorrow or I'll have a flock of frozen meals.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yeah those are dangerous temps I don’t want any part of them here on LI temps will be in the teens or single digits ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Absolutely brutal. We’re getting the snow tonight too. Then the cold front comes through. Gonna be a fun week! 
    Are you able to skate on Lake Michigan or does it not freeze over because of the waves?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Some say subjective, inaccurate and misleading numerical expression ought to be replaced
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/windchill-temperature-better-way-1.4989897

And the complete answer is many meteorologists have no use whatsoever for wind chill, a scientific measure of diddly and squat.

"Wind chill is not actually measurable," said Kehler, standing in the gentle Wednesday snow outside his office on the University of Manitoba's Fort Garry campus.

"There is no such thing as a wind chill sensor. It's just a formula that uses other things that we can measure, like the actual temperature and the actual wind speed."

Give Peas A Chance…
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Anything below 70F/21C is absolute horseshit if you ask me.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Anything below 70F/21C is absolute horseshit if you ask me.
    lol...
    Give Peas A Chance…