• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:
    bbiggs said:
    The sounds a house makes when it’s this cold are incredible. Roofs expanding and contracting make some pretty loud noises I havent heard before. Windows have thick frost on the inside of them. I’ve even seen pictures of interior electrical outlets with ice on them. Insane. 
    When my deck cracks it sounds like a damn rifle.
    No joke, I was laying in bed last night and it sounded like Hulk Hogan body slammed someone. I was debating going up in the attic but didn’t really want to at 3 a.m. in -25 temps. 
    Yeah the Hulkster took up residence in my attic last night. Do not like it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    -25 with wind chill -38 currently. We’ve reached the floor though. This time tomorrow I’ll be dropping the negative sign in that sentence. :smiley:  
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    bbiggs said:
    rgambs said:
    bbiggs said:
    The sounds a house makes when it’s this cold are incredible. Roofs expanding and contracting make some pretty loud noises I havent heard before. Windows have thick frost on the inside of them. I’ve even seen pictures of interior electrical outlets with ice on them. Insane. 
    When my deck cracks it sounds like a damn rifle.
    No joke, I was laying in bed last night and it sounded like Hulk Hogan body slammed someone. I was debating going up in the attic but didn’t really want to at 3 a.m. in -25 temps. 
    Yeah the Hulkster took up residence in my attic last night. Do not like it.
    I was wondering what he’s been doing these days. I think we have our answer now. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    why do tv stations insist on putting people outside to tell us it's cold? they tell us it's dangerous to be out and have exposed skin...then they put reporters out there telling us yea it's cold.  ridiculous.
  • Options
    pjhawks said:
    why do tv stations insist on putting people outside to tell us it's cold? they tell us it's dangerous to be out and have exposed skin...then they put reporters out there telling us yea it's cold.  ridiculous.
    Just like they throw them out in the middle of hurricanes. Adds to the dramatic effect. Insanely stupid though. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,748
    Because we watch!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    PJ_Soul said:
    All of my co-workers are apparently out of touch and didn't know about this. So I just regaled them with some of your stories here, lol, and they all feel really bad for you and your pets! Although we all agreed that it's still better than way too hot weather like in Australia. At least you can bundle up!
    Bundling up sucks. Wearing layers annoys the ever living crap out of me! So uncomfortable. I'd take the Aussie heat wave over this shit ANY day!!  I was born for the sun and heat!
  • Options
    Because we watch!
    Yep, we thrive on drama and turmoil in America!
  • Options
    Because we watch!
    Yessir! Locally about 2 or 3 weeks ago, they were calling for a big snowstorm out here. They forecasted it for a week. Up to 10" of snow. Warnings to my phone at least once daily. People acting like armageddon was near. Girlfriend was nervous about trying to drive in it. I told her to calm down. The current mild winter had news outlets desperately seeking ratings...and an excuse to get Cheryl Scott on the tv more.

We received between 1 and 2 inches of snow.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Because we watch!
    Yessir! Locally about 2 or 3 weeks ago, they were calling for a big snowstorm out here. They forecasted it for a week. Up to 10" of snow. Warnings to my phone at least once daily. People acting like armageddon was near. Girlfriend was nervous about trying to drive in it. I told her to calm down. The current mild winter had news outlets desperately seeking ratings...and an excuse to get Cheryl Scott on the tv more.

We received between 1 and 2 inches of snow.
    Well, if it got Cheryl Scott on TV more, it was worth it. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Had to look her up.  Jersey Girl!

(I would dot her eyes)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ^ Watching the nightly weather is fun. ;) 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    A radio station ran a contest way back when in LA when I still listened to the radio in the morning during my commute....it was called The Morning Wood contest and was a ranking of the weather chicks in LA.  Weather is the dumbest fucking job on TV to start with...but in a place where the weather is almost always the same it lends itself to even less qualified people.  They seemingly picked the best looking applicants who claimed to have some understanding of weather.
    Waking up to those ladies was nice....and I cannot recall who Miss Morning Wood was but the contestants were strong.
    Jillian Barberie, before Fox fame.
    Jackie "Sweater Puppies" Johnson
    There were a bunch of them.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ^ :lol:
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Uggghh! Did just reading that make anyone else want to scratch their arm? Fuck mosquitoes. 
  • Options
    I was emailing with my cousin who moved to TN a couple years ago. We were talking about this polar vortex crap. He tells me his kids’ schools were closed yesterday and today for reaching a whopping...ready for it? 30 DEGREES!! That cracks me up. Need to toughen up those Tennesseans I think. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    bbiggs said:
    I was emailing with my cousin who moved to TN a couple years ago. We were talking about this polar vortex crap. He tells me his kids’ schools were closed yesterday and today for reaching a whopping...ready for it? 30 DEGREES!! That cracks me up. Need to toughen up those Tennesseans I think. 
    That's ridiculous lol

There was an old man in the gym locker room talking about how they never cancelled school because it was cold or snowy back in his day.  I'm thinking, uhhh bullshit.
    He leaves, a guy not more than 5 years younger says, "I don't know what he was talking about, we had snow days all the time.

2 degrees below freezing does not warrant a cancellation.  Even in shorts and a t-shirt, nobody is getting frostbite or hypothermia waiting on the bus.
    Below 0F is another story, all a dumbass kid needs to do is lose his hat or gloves and he could have frostbite in minutes.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    It's like that here in Maryland now, too.  It's really odd because I grew up here and never had school called off the way they do now.  They will close school for a forecast.  Not actual weather, a fucking forecast! There was a day last year where it was calling for 8-10" of snow later in the week. They called school off 2 days ahead of time.  2 days later, when the storm was supposed to hit, it was like 50 degrees and raining.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,220
    rgambs said:
    bbiggs said:

There was an old man in the gym locker room talking about how they never cancelled school because it was cold or snowy back in his day.  I'm thinking, uhhh bullshit.
    He also walked to school barefoot in the snow, uphill, both ways.

Just like Layne:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9jX1KAKp78
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515

Good news for BC next week, they get to enjoy some polar vortex weather.  Enjoy!  It has been a blast here in Ontario.  Really it has.
    I can still brag like a jerk, lol. Apparently we're going to get a bit of snow on Sunday in Vancouver, and it will be a couple degrees below freezing. Very nice winter weather! Snow is exciting - we haven't had a single flake this winter so far.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Good news for BC next week, they get to enjoy some polar vortex weather.  Enjoy!  It has been a blast here in Ontario.  Really it has.
    I can still brag like a jerk, lol. Apparently we're going to get a bit of snow on Sunday in Vancouver, and it will be a couple degrees below freezing. Very nice winter weather! Snow is exciting - we haven't had a single flake this winter so far.
    I joke about it being cold out.  Quite honestly, I don't mind.  That's why I like most of Canada, we get 4 distinctive seasons.  But, yesterday was cold, colder than today.  But you guys get a lot of rain correct?  I do not like a lot of rain and prefer it to rain overnight...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    It's like that here in Maryland now, too.  It's really odd because I grew up here and never had school called off the way they do now.  They will close school for a forecast.  Not actual weather, a fucking forecast! There was a day last year where it was calling for 8-10" of snow later in the week. They called school off 2 days ahead of time.  2 days later, when the storm was supposed to hit, it was like 50 degrees and raining.
    It's all about liability now.

Better be safe than sorry.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Indeed. Too many god damn lawyers in the world.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

I have an Aunt and Cousin in Michigan, and I in Canada and schools rarely close for weather issues.  In Michigan, they don't think twice of shutting the schools, they both say it's because of the lawsuit that would follow if a child got seriously hurt or worse.  I worked in maintenance at a school board, and years ago another school in Ontario where his sister worked never closed the schools until a child slipped on ice and slid into traffic...unfortanetly he did not make it,  but the school board now closes all schools in inclement weather, unfortunately it takes an accident to wake people up.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

I have an Aunt and Cousin in Michigan, and I in Canada and schools rarely close for weather issues.  In Michigan, they don't think twice of shutting the schools, they both say it's because of the lawsuit that would follow if a child got seriously hurt or worse.  I worked in maintenance at a school board, and years ago another school in Ontario where his sister worked never closed the schools until a child slipped on ice and slid into traffic...unfortanetly he did not make it,  but the school board now closes all schools in inclement weather, unfortunately it takes an accident to wake people up.
    How do you think they come up with new regulations?

It won't be enforced or forced until an incident happens.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

I joke about it being cold out.  Quite honestly, I don't mind.  That's why I like most of Canada, we get 4 distinctive seasons.  But, yesterday was cold, colder than today.  But you guys get a lot of rain correct?  I do not like a lot of rain and prefer it to rain overnight...
    Well, we do, but not as much as it seems some think? Sure, at times rain falls for days on end... but that actually isn't really normal. We get a bit "WTF??" when that happens. For perspective, on average, Toronto gets 139 days when rain falls (over 0.1mm), and 31 inches of rain. Vancouver gets 161 days, and 45.4 inches.
    I personally love that we get rain, because it's what keeps everything so beautiful and green. The problem now is that we're getting drought summers. We never used to, and it's getting worse FAST. Shockingly fast. Our summers are so much drier and hotter than they used to be (even just 5 years ago it was noticeably better), and it's totally fucking with our temperate rain forest ecosystem. And until 2015 we never got shrouded in smoke from the BC wildfires, EVER. Now it's annual ..... Anyone who still denies climate change is a fucking moron.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Well, we do, but not as much as it seems some think? Sure, at times rain falls for days on end... but that actually isn't really normal. We get a bit "WTF??" when that happens. For perspective, on average, Toronto gets 139 days when rain falls (over 0.1mm), and 31 inches of rain. Vancouver gets 161 days, and 45.4 inches.
    I personally love that we get rain, because it's what keeps everything so beautiful and green. The problem now is that we're getting drought summers. We never used to, and it's getting worse FAST. Shockingly fast. Our summers are so much drier and hotter than they used to be (even just 5 years ago it was noticeably better), and it's totally fucking with our temperate rain forest ecosystem. And until 2015 we never got shrouded in smoke from the BC wildfires, EVER. Now it's annual ..... Anyone who still denies climate change is a fucking moron.
    I agree with all of this. The rain is just a state of mind. Once you accept that the rain is what makes the place to beautiful, you just go about your business, regardless of rain. I cycle all year round; when it's raining, I get wet, and then when I get to where I'm going, I change clothes and I'm dry again. No big deal, because it's so worth it. 

(Victoria gets about half the rainfall that Vancouver gets)
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yeah, climate change is real and it’s a motherfucker. Lot of people still deny it which is sad. Hard to deny science, but their political agendas blur their vision. Anyway, plenty of this on AMT I assume. I’m glad this polar vortex is behind us. That was some serious shit that I’d rather not experience again.