Polar Vortex

Comments

• darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,692
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My brother and friend were both ironworkers. Both took very much pride in that job. Health reasons make them both become steel workers with me.
    We have a bridge called the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in Vancouver. It's called that because there was a terrible accident way back when it was being built in 1958. A crane collapsed and tore down several sections of the partial bridge, and 79 ironworkers plunged off the bridge into the water - 19 were killed (4 more ironworkers were also killed in unrelated accidents during the construction). :frowning: The city definitely appreciates the dangers involved in that profession.
    You guys need to tighten up your crane regulations.  Didn't a crane collapse this week.  Of course, I'm kidding about the regulations.  That is a nice gesture naming the bridge after ironworkers.  I'm sure ironworkers past and present appreciate that.  We are getting a new bridge to the US,  Harper named it the Gordie Howe bridge.  We had a soldier in my town who died in Afghanistan, he was my choice, my second choice was a cop who died off duty making an arrest and was shot and killed and left a young family. 
    Lol, yeah, wtf with the cranes? The one this week didn't collapse though. Some dumb-dumb container ship captain rammed his boat into a perfectly good massive crane, lol. Luckily nobody was hurt (besides, I suppose, all those businesses waiting for whatever is stuck in all those shipping containers that still can't be removed from the ship!).
    Based on the movies, these containers contain either drugs, convicts, illegal immigrants or stolen cars. 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My brother and friend were both ironworkers. Both took very much pride in that job. Health reasons make them both become steel workers with me.
    We have a bridge called the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in Vancouver. It's called that because there was a terrible accident way back when it was being built in 1958. A crane collapsed and tore down several sections of the partial bridge, and 79 ironworkers plunged off the bridge into the water - 19 were killed (4 more ironworkers were also killed in unrelated accidents during the construction). :frowning: The city definitely appreciates the dangers involved in that profession.
    You guys need to tighten up your crane regulations.  Didn't a crane collapse this week.  Of course, I'm kidding about the regulations.  That is a nice gesture naming the bridge after ironworkers.  I'm sure ironworkers past and present appreciate that.  We are getting a new bridge to the US,  Harper named it the Gordie Howe bridge.  We had a soldier in my town who died in Afghanistan, he was my choice, my second choice was a cop who died off duty making an arrest and was shot and killed and left a young family. 
    Lol, yeah, wtf with the cranes? The one this week didn't collapse though. Some dumb-dumb container ship captain rammed his boat into a perfectly good massive crane, lol. Luckily nobody was hurt (besides, I suppose, all those businesses waiting for whatever is stuck in all those shipping containers that still can't be removed from the ship!).
    Based on the movies, these containers contain either drugs, convicts, illegal immigrants or stolen cars. 
    :lol: That's true.
    Well, let's hope there aren't any smuggled immigrants stuck in any of those containers!! That would be terrible!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    The sounds a house makes when it’s this cold are incredible. Roofs expanding and contracting make some pretty loud noises I havent heard before. Windows have thick frost on the inside of them. I’ve even seen pictures of interior electrical outlets with ice on them. Insane. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Hey I just saw this on the news, you guys ok?  Are there many of them?!  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    bbiggs said:
    The sounds a house makes when it’s this cold are incredible. Roofs expanding and contracting make some pretty loud noises I havent heard before. Windows have thick frost on the inside of them. I’ve even seen pictures of interior electrical outlets with ice on them. Insane. 
    When my deck cracks it sounds like a damn rifle.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited January 2019
    All of my co-workers are apparently out of touch and didn't know about this. So I just regaled them with some of your stories here, lol, and they all feel really bad for you and your pets! Although we all agreed that it's still better than way too hot weather like in Australia. At least you can bundle up!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    All of my co-workers are apparently out of touch and didn't know about this. So I just regaled them with some of your stories here, lol, and they all feel really bad for you and your pets! Although we all agreed that it's still better than way too hot weather like in Australia. At least you can bundle up!
    Way better than a heat wave!

rgambs said:
    bbiggs said:
    When my deck cracks it sounds like a damn rifle.
    No joke, I was laying in bed last night and it sounded like Hulk Hogan body slammed someone. I was debating going up in the attic but didn’t really want to at 3 a.m. in -25 temps. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Hey I just saw this on the news, you guys ok?  Are there many of them?!  

This is awesome!! 
    PJ_Soul said:
    I disagree. With cold you can add layers, with excessive heat you can’t take enough clothes off!!
    edited January 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I disagree. With cold you can add layers, with excessive heat you can’t take enough clothes off!!
    .... So we agree? :lol:
    :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I misread that Allie , my bad!!!  lol 

I just don’t like extreme heat or extreme cold. They both suck. Im realizing I need a moderate temp climate the older I get. 
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Teacher got taught! 
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Teacher got taught! 
    Rough day and I ve been drinking. Hey we all make mistakes!!
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Teacher got taught! 
    Rough day and I ve been drinking. Hey we all make mistakes!!
    Some of us more than others. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I disagree on the impact of wind chill. Being outside at -21 today without any real wind made a big difference from yesterday evening when the wind was gusting at 45mph and -20. The kids and I spent almost 2 hours outside playing and sledding this afternoon in -21 and it wasn't bad. Just some frozen eyelashes and hair.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited January 2019
    Those of us in MN who use natural gas for heat are being asked to turn the heat down to 63 degrees and avoid using a lot of hot water for the next day due to a strain on the gas system. 

Time to bust out the booze to warm up!
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    Those of us in MN who use natural gas for heat are being asked to turn the heat down to 63 degrees and avoid using a lot of hot water for the next day due to a strain on the gas system. 

Good luck to y'all up there!
    rgambs said:

Good luck to y'all up there!
    Yes. Good luck and stay safe. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Had a two block walk to work and stupidly didn't wear a hat.  By the end I could have won any Olympic speedwalking race.  After I warmed up, I asked a coworker that parks in the building's garage if they could drop me off at my apartment on their way home.  That's right, I asked for a ride that was literally two city blocks.  Ha.
  • I ran out of friggin heating oil today...  That was a first!
    Had a two block walk to work and stupidly didn't wear a hat.  By the end I could have won any Olympic speedwalking race.  After I warmed up, I asked a coworker that parks in the building's garage if they could drop me off at my apartment on their way home.  That's right, I asked for a ride that was literally two city blocks.  Ha.
    It’s enough time to get frostbite. I would have done the same. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    The wind tunnels that form downtown around the skyscrapers are the worst.
    Real feel of negative eleven here in nj. 
    -24° feels like 40° in new IN

As mentioned earlier, I'd rather this than 104°.

Good news for BC next week, they get to enjoy some polar vortex weather.  Enjoy!  It has been a blast here in Ontario.  Really it has.
    Give Peas A Chance…

Give Peas A Chance…