Options

Polar Vortex

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    Reel feel of 7 degrees here.  I might put on some sunscreen.
    Be careful not to get heat stroke...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I installed a heater in my garage about 10 days ago out of pure coincidence. It's expensive to run but boy was it nice to have this morning!
    That’s awesome. What timing! 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,740
    Holy fuck is it cold out there.  Just dropped off the little guy at daycare and my face hurts just from walking in and out of there.  Crazy.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542

• Options
    Took the dog out and my nostrils were freezing shut with every breath. Lol. Air temp, wind chill, real feel, blah, blah...they should just call it real f’n cold! 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,740
    bbiggs said:
    Took the dog out and my nostrils were freezing shut with every breath. Lol. Air temp, wind chill, real feel, blah, blah...they should just call it real f’n cold! 
    I let the dog out this morning and he didn't even step off the patio into the backyard.  Just took a piss and ran right back in the house.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I let the dog out this morning and he didn't even step off the patio into the backyard.  Just took a piss and ran right back in the house.
    Same. I have to carry him out there or he won’t even go. 24 more hours, man. Arrows pointing up after that. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,762
    ^^^Hahaha you guys have dog piss on your patios....I at least keep mine on the sidewalk. 🤣
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Hahahaha.  -71?
    -65 was coldest I can remember as a kid in VT.  (With wind chill)
    That shit is brutal..  Stay safe people 🙏
    -40 for me in Alaska was the coldest. 

Windchill is stupid.  Anything below 10F is just dumb too.  It all starts to feel the same... COLD!
  • Options
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Windchill is stupid.  Anything below 10F is just dumb too.  It all starts to feel the same... COLD!
    You’re right, Chris. After a point it all feels the same. I’d love to go to Alaska. And I don’t think I’d mind -40 as much there. I mean, it’s Alaska! -40 in Chicago is a whole different story. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

You’re right, Chris. After a point it all feels the same. I’d love to go to Alaska. And I don’t think I’d mind -40 as much there. I mean, it’s Alaska! -40 in Chicago is a whole different story. 
    You dress for it though.  You know it's coming so the cold weather gear comes out.

The ocean freezes up too which is wild.  You know it's cold when the ocean freezes over, lol!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

You dress for it though.  You know it's coming so the cold weather gear comes out.

The ocean freezes up too which is wild.  You know it's cold when the ocean freezes over, lol!
    That is insane! I’d love to get up there someday. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

You won't be able to do a cruise when the ocean freezes.  I don't think they even go up past Juneau?

I was working on a damn fishing boat so I got paid to see this crap, lol.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

You won't be able to do a cruise when the ocean freezes.  I don't think they even go up past Juneau?

That’s one kick ass (and dangerous) job! Were you on one of those Ice Fisherman shows on Discovery Channel? 
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    The steel mill I work at had to shut down for a few hours because our regional gas company couldn't keep up with residential service needs this morning. Fortunately we still have the basics here for now.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

That’s one kick ass (and dangerous) job! Were you on one of those Ice Fisherman shows on Discovery Channel? 
    Yes I was.  

In the mid 90's I was on a tender ship that went out in the Bering sea to meet up with other ships for cod.  The first few seasons of Deadliest catch had all the ships that I was on at one time or another.  Sea star, Fierce Allegiance, Arctic Dawn, Arctic Sea, North Sea and of course the North Western were all ships that were seen on the show but some didn't have film crews.

I laughed when I first saw the show and my family and friends would all ask if I was on any of those ships and I could say, yes I was.

Wish I had taken more pics back then, I do have stories but not a lot of footage... Oh well.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

In the mid 90's I was on a tender ship that went out in the Bering sea to meet up with other ships for cod.  The first few seasons of Deadliest catch had all the ships that I was on at one time or another.  Sea star, Fierce Allegiance, Arctic Dawn, Arctic Sea, North Sea and of course the North Western were all ships that were seen on the show but some didn't have film crews.

I laughed when I first saw the show and my family and friends would all ask if I was on any of those ships and I could say, yes I was.

Wish I had taken more pics back then, I do have stories but not a lot of footage... Oh well.
    Awesome story! Sounds like you have (had?) one exciting job. Fishing in the Bering Sea makes most jobs seem mundane; especially mine! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

Awesome story! Sounds like you have (had?) one exciting job. Fishing in the Bering Sea makes most jobs seem mundane; especially mine! 
    I've had the top 2 most dangerous jobs in the world so far in Alaska fishing and Iron Worker.  I'm not looking to extend the streak any further so I'm a PM now, lol!
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

I've had the top 2 most dangerous jobs in the world so far in Alaska fishing and Iron Worker.  I'm not looking to extend the streak any further so I'm a PM now, lol!
    A Prime Minister?

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

A Prime Minister?

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Project Manager...

Oh man that is funny!!!
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

Were you ever an altar boy in a catholic church?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

That is a few different F's.

Fucked up and Funny, lol!!!

you are going to hell for that one, hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
  • Options
    My brother and friend were both ironworkers. Both took very much pride in that job. Health reasons make them both become steel workers with me.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Hahahaha.  -71?

Yes I was.  

That is a few different F's.

Fucked up and Funny, lol!!!

you are going to hell for that one, hahahahahahahaha!!!!!
    Or a Boy Scout?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    My brother and friend were both ironworkers. Both took very much pride in that job. Health reasons make them both become steel workers with me.
    We have a bridge called the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in Vancouver. It's called that because there was a terrible accident way back when it was being built in 1958. A crane collapsed and tore down several sections of the partial bridge, and 79 ironworkers plunged off the bridge into the water - 19 were killed (4 more ironworkers were also killed in unrelated accidents during the construction). :frowning: The city definitely appreciates the dangers involved in that profession.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    We have a bridge called the Ironworkers Memorial Bridge in Vancouver. It's called that because there was a terrible accident way back when it was being built in 1958. A crane collapsed and tore down several sections of the partial bridge, and 79 ironworkers plunged off the bridge into the water - 19 were killed (4 more ironworkers were also killed in unrelated accidents during the construction). :frowning: The city definitely appreciates the dangers involved in that profession.
    You guys need to tighten up your crane regulations.  Didn't a crane collapse this week.  Of course, I'm kidding about the regulations.  That is a nice gesture naming the bridge after ironworkers.  I'm sure ironworkers past and present appreciate that.  We are getting a new bridge to the US,  Harper named it the Gordie Howe bridge.  We had a soldier in my town who died in Afghanistan, he was my choice, my second choice was a cop who died off duty making an arrest and was shot and killed and left a young family. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:
    You guys need to tighten up your crane regulations.  Didn't a crane collapse this week.  Of course, I'm kidding about the regulations.  That is a nice gesture naming the bridge after ironworkers.  I'm sure ironworkers past and present appreciate that.  We are getting a new bridge to the US,  Harper named it the Gordie Howe bridge.  We had a soldier in my town who died in Afghanistan, he was my choice, my second choice was a cop who died off duty making an arrest and was shot and killed and left a young family. 
    Lol, yeah, wtf with the cranes? The one this week didn't collapse though. Some dumb-dumb container ship captain rammed his boat into a perfectly good massive crane, lol. Luckily nobody was hurt (besides, I suppose, all those businesses waiting for whatever is stuck in all those shipping containers that still can't be removed from the ship!).
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Lol, yeah, wtf with the cranes? The one this week didn't collapse though. Some dumb-dumb container ship captain rammed his boat into a perfectly good massive crane, lol. Luckily nobody was hurt (besides, I suppose, all those businesses waiting for whatever is stuck in all those shipping containers that still can't be removed from the ship!).
    Ok.  I thought the crane collapse on its own.  Yes, good thing no one was hurt.  I watch highway through hell that's filmed in BC...jeesh, surprised more tow truck drivers don't get killed.
    Give Peas A Chance…