Options

Polar Vortex

Comments

• Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    Ok. Now it's fucking cold here in the Twin Cities. -15 with a wind chill around -30. Tomorrow morning is going to blow.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Yep. We’re officially sub zero air temps already here too. I’ll wake up to -23 by 6 a.m. Those are not with wind chill. Fun stuff. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,928
    bbiggs said:
    Yep. We’re officially sub zero air temps already here too. I’ll wake up to -23 by 6 a.m. Those are not with wind chill. Fun stuff. 
    Jesus Christ.  Did they cancel school?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Yep. Wed. and Thursday both cancelled already. They’re not f’n around. 
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,988
    The pump at gas station I went to today froze. Apparently, electronic controls in gas pumps have limits too.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn  Be careful!!!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn  Be careful!!!
    Thanks man. Will do. We’re prepared. Just need the mechanicals to hold up and we’ll be in good shape after Thursday. This is some crazy ass cold though. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn  Be careful!!!
    Thanks man. Will do. We’re prepared. Just need the mechanicals to hold up and we’ll be in good shape after Thursday. This is some crazy ass cold though. 
    If power goes out is what I'm worried about.

Hopefully people have secondary ways of heating.

Drink lots of good booze!!!
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn  Be careful!!!

Same here, brother. Everyone needs to have a backup plan in case power goes out or furnace shits the bed. I’ve been mapping it out in my head to prepare for worst case. 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn  Be careful!!!

Last winter I came back from Palm Springs to find the thermostat for my heater went to shit while I was gone. The temp inside the house was 34 degrees. Being that it was 1:30 in the morning, I could do nothing. Piled the kid, wife, and self into a bed with a mountain of blankets and plugged in a space heater. It sucked. Just lucky none of my pipes froze up.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Damn  Be careful!!!

Last winter I came back from Palm Springs to find the thermostat for my heater went to shit while I was gone. The temp inside the house was 34 degrees. Being that it was 1:30 in the morning, I could do nothing. Piled the kid, wife, and self into a bed with a mountain of blankets and plugged in a space heater. It sucked. Just lucky none of my pipes froze up.
    Wow. That must have been a shock to the system going from Palm Springs heat to that! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Well the Post Office has announced that they are halting mail delivery for tomorrow here in Minnesota. The governor hasn’t cancelled school yet though.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,257
    Not where I live in MN,  but not far off from my current temp either. In-sane!

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,487
    All right, here comes the heart of the vortex.
    Let's do this motherfucker!
    and good luck furnaces.

The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    tbergs said:

Does that say a real feel of negative seventy fucking one?!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,257
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:

Does that say a real feel of negative seventy fucking one?!
    Yeah, now it's all clear how the great lakes formed in the Midwest after the last ice age. It's only -59 real feel where I am.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Malroth said:
    All right, here comes the heart of the vortex.
    Let's do this motherfucker!
    and good luck furnaces.

I told my furnace, “I swear I’ll never be late changing your filter again if you get me through these next two days.” Lol 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Hahahaha.  -71?
    -65 was coldest I can remember as a kid in VT.  (With wind chill)
    That shit is brutal..  Stay safe people 🙏
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Well the Post Office has announced that they are halting mail delivery for tomorrow here in Minnesota. The governor hasn’t cancelled school yet though.
    I’m surprised no school cancellations. Chicagoland is basically shutting down. Most businesses included. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    (btw, that praying thingy is to FSM ;) )
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    I’m surprised no school cancellations. Chicagoland is basically shutting down. Most businesses included. 
    Schools are cancelled, but it was up to the individual districts to make the call.
  • Options
    Stay safe everyone!  I hope you guys have a couple cords of wood for your fireplace. I ll be sure to enjoy the balmy three degrees on Thursday here in jersey. 
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,859
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Classic Scruffy, thinking first for more time off work!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,338

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    A forecast low of -24° and today and a high of 51° on Monday. Add in wind chill and "real feel" temps and the difference is far greater. Insane!

Currently -17° and allegedly it feels like -44°.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Right there with ya buddy. Currently -23 air temp. 
  • Options
    I installed a heater in my garage about 10 days ago out of pure coincidence. It's expensive to run but boy was it nice to have this morning!
  • Options
    Reel feel of 7 degrees here.  I might put on some sunscreen.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    Reel feel of 7 degrees here.  I might put on some sunscreen.n
    I see your Real Feel of 7 degrees, and raise you to Real Feel of -56 degrees.

Now, off to the office (If the car decides if it wants to go).
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Need a jacket like this today...
    Give Peas A Chance…