The Food Thread

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    Championship Sunday Grammy’s Gravy

much as I hate to give my nemesis props.....wow! major props!

the “three philosophers” beer makes me think of the airbnb I shared in philly in ‘13 with some other degenerates.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,383
    edit: 2016
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    We didn't have chicken cutlets - but we did have Zama fucking sushi!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    We didn't have chicken cutlets - but we did have Zama fucking sushi!
    Zama! Sink holes! 
    I just got this steamer and I love it so far. 

Steamed asparagus and cutlets!

What do you mean steamer? Looking at it on my phone. I love tools but don’t know what I’m looking at.

f me...you peel apsaragus? Seems like a lot of work. Worth it?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    Yes.  Try it one time.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    edited January 2019
    I just got this steamer and I love it so far. 

Steamed asparagus and cutlets!

What do you mean steamer? Looking at it on my phone. I love tools but don’t know what I’m looking at.

f me...you peel apsaragus? Seems like a lot of work. Worth it?
    Trying to be a little healthier (minus the fried cutlets-haha). 

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I tie the asparagus up and stand up in a sauce pan.
    (Although that steamer looks sweet, I am working at trying to slow the accumulation of cooking tools.)
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    Why do Americans not pronounce the 'a' in Mozzarella and Ricotta?
    Or is it just a Sopranos thing?
    Because most Italian Americans are descendants of Southern Italians- mainly Napoli and Sicily- where the ends of words get cut off.
    That's interesting because many Italian Australians are Calabrese or Sicilian but still pronounce the 'a'.
    After marrying into an Italian family  my biggest struggle was pronouncing  capicolla the “correct” way.  Lol
    Like Tony Soprano pronounces it? Gabagool?
    Michael Scott’s pronunciation is pretty good too. 
    That's the only exposure I have to that word...obviously I would not have guessed it means capicolla!

I hate bad pronunciations.  Capicolla should not be pronounced 'gabagool' according to the rules of the Italian language.
    Should Thuringia be pronounced 'tulingen'?  I don't know enough about German to be sure, but I doubt it.
    The damn Brits with their R's added and subtracted...

All you kids get off my lawn!
    Champagne Supernova has always bugged me for this reason.  "In a champagne supa-nover, a champagne supa-nover in the sky."
    And no way is capicolla "gabagool," that's just nonsense.  Do Italians say "I'd like an ice cold Goog Gool" when ordering a Coca Cola?  Come on.
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:
    Because most Italian Americans are descendants of Southern Italians- mainly Napoli and Sicily- where the ends of words get cut off.
    That's interesting because many Italian Australians are Calabrese or Sicilian but still pronounce the 'a'.
    After marrying into an Italian family  my biggest struggle was pronouncing  capicolla the “correct” way.  Lol
    That's the only exposure I have to that word...obviously I would not have guessed it means capicolla!

I hate bad pronunciations.  Capicolla should not be pronounced 'gabagool' according to the rules of the Italian language.
    Should Thuringia be pronounced 'tulingen'?  I don't know enough about German to be sure, but I doubt it.

Champagne Supernova has always bugged me for this reason.  "In a champagne supa-nover, a champagne supa-nover in the sky."
    And no way is capicolla "gabagool," that's just nonsense.  Do Italians say "I'd like an ice cold Goog Gool" when ordering a Coca Cola?  Come on.
    Champagne Supernova always bugged me, as well.  My reason is that I think the fucking song sucks.
    I wish both of those guys were caught beneath that fucking landslide. 
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:

Champagne Supernova always bugged me, as well.  My reason is that I think the fucking song sucks.
    So much agree right here.
    rgambs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    eddiec said:

:lol:
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited January 2019
    Gabagool people aren't Italians; they are Guidos.

Scruffy married a Guido.

https://youtu.be/S5d_q4m8k4E
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Hot Ones finally scored Gordon Ramsey as a guest.  Phenomenal episode.
    Dude, we just finished this. So good, some of it was maybe a little much, but good stuff. Sean was in his glory 
    Not sure there’s many top chef viewers here, but Fatima from a couple seasons ago died today at 29. Seemed like an awesome person. So sad. Too fucking young 
    Stopped watching years ago but love me some Padma.

Breakfast requested by the 4 yr old.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited January 2019
    dankind said:
    Gabagool people aren't Italians; they are Guidos.

Scruffy married a Guido.

https://youtu.be/S5d_q4m8k4E
    Oh shit, shots fired! 
    But seriously, my wife and her family are the totally opposite of guidos. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Chili with sudden death sauce, too much of it. Struggling 
    Ha.  
    I shit fire the other day.
    Hot sauce is fun but trying to punch above my weight class = some pain.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My son is currently dipping his fries in his vanilla Frosty.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    My son is currently dipping his fries in his vanilla Frosty.

Vanilla? WTF? When I was a kid there was only one Frosty!
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,245
    I have been cooking more on the weekends and I chop a lot of onions. I'm at work and my fingers smell like onions. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited January 2019
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I have been cooking more on the weekends and I chop a lot of onions. I'm at work and my fingers smell like onions. 
    Try one of these stainless steel hand odor removers. It's just a lump of stainless steel, made into the shape of soap (it's generally made for garlic smell, but it works for onion too). I know it's hard to believe, but it actually works to just rub your hands with these things. I bought one for my sister one Christmas, and she was in shock when she discovered that it actually completely takes the smell of onions and garlic off her hands when she cooks (this is just one example of it - there are several different brands to choose from).

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ms. Haiku said:
    I get that all the time.  Onions, garlic, and stinky bud.
    It's a fucking health hazard because I can't quit smelling my fingers and basking in the glory.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    Agree that your hands smelling like what you cook with is a good things, for the most part.
    Agree that your hands smelling like what you cook with is a good things, for the most part.
    It's not at all for when you're at work in an office, or on a date or something. It's disgusting. Garlic or onion fingers can be pretty off-putting to others.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's not at all for when you're at work in an office, or on a date or something. It's disgusting. Garlic or onion fingers can be pretty off-putting to others.
    Embrace it!  :)

edited January 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

No thank you, lol. I'm one of the people who are off-put by it. Stinky hands make me want to puke! It's bad enough when it's my own, but if they're someone else's hands, that is so gross! It makes me feel like I don't want them to even touch me, lol. Cooties!!! And when you see someone sniff their fingers, too, which people with garlic and onion hands tend to do.... SO GROSS! It always makes me think about the poop hands from Mallrats! :sick:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

No thank you, lol. I'm one of the people who are off-put by it. Stinky hands make me want to puke! It's bad enough when it's my own, but if they're someone else's hands, that is so gross! It makes me feel like I don't want them to even touch me, lol. Cooties!!! And when you see someone sniff their fingers, too, which people with garlic and onion hands tend to do.... SO GROSS! It always makes me think about the poop hands from Mallrats! :sick:
    So many comments spring to mind but I will keep things relatively clean.  :lol:   

Remember reading the book Heat and Bill Buford saying his wife complained about his smelly hands when he started working at Babbo,
    (Great book.  By the author of Among The Thugs, which is an all time favorite)