The National Football League

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    edited January 2019
    JK_Livin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    The OT rules are just plain dumb.  Both teams should be able to get the ball.  
    Hey, the defence needed to make a stop.

The OT rules are fair. If the defence had stopped them, the Chefs could have kicked a FG and won. The Pats couldn't have won with a FG.
    Best of 7 coin flips.
    I get the coin flip thing, but...

The team had the chance to win in regulation at home. It didn't.

The team had the opportunity to stop the opposition on their initial drive in OT. It didn't.

The Chefs defence was terrible. The Pats offence was very vanilla- designed, no doubt, to keep the ball from the KC offence as much as possible. They got nickeled and dimed to death.
    They could do the same in hockey too. No more 3 on 3. Straight shoot out, and if one team scores first, they win. Other team does not get a shot. Or Baseball, you score in the top half of the inning, the home team does not get a chance to respond. 
    Agree with your examples, the ot rules in football are terrible. Both teams should definitely get a chance to touch the ball espcialky in the playoffs. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:
    Two entertaining games.  Was hoping for the Super Tecmo Bowl rematch.  Andy Reid could have used the announcers last night for his defensive coordinators as they (and most anyone else that has watched the Pats) knew exactly the routes and passes they would throw before the snap.  Smart on Belichick putting lots of pressure on a (technically) rookie QB who doesn't have the experience to audible.  It will be interesting to see if they try the same against Goff, but maybe the Rams watch game film because I'm not sure the Chiefs do.

Wonder if the refs had to be choppered out by SWAT in New Orleans ...
    Yep.  Tony Romo was calling the plays before they happened.

Andy Reid got Bellicheckmated...
    Brady'd not Bellichecked.  

I think that the coach had a large impact in the Patriots win.
    Notice that as the game wound down there was one team who had all of their Time Outs?  That the game planning in advance worked well prior to halftime adjustments?  (Extremely well) 
    It is not a knock on Big Red that Bad Bill is amazing as a HC.  Respect to Bill.  He is the best.
    I do think Reid lacks situational/in game awareness and that showed again yesterday.  Good adjustments at half and he has done a super job with his young QB.  I am a fan of Andy Reid, but Bad Bill is just so good.
    To give credit to Brady and not Bad Bill is a very different viewpoint than I had watching that game.
    (Brady was really good, as well.  Of course.)
    didn't that same coach also blow a 14-point lead at halftime? and a 3 point lead in 30 seconds?   the Pats won the game because of Brady and a coin flip.  If the Chiefs win the coin flip they probably score a TD and win the game.

the Bulls didn't win because of Phil Jackson but because of Michael Jordan.  The Pats win because of Brady.  
    That's wrong too.  Look where Phil went on to win w the Lakers.  

He had a way of getting players to "play".

Don't bring up the Knicks because he wasn't the coach there.
    yea he had Shaq and Kobe in their prime with the Lakers. two dominant players. one probably in the top 10 or so of all time and one a physical specimen that was unstoppable when healthy and motivated.  Not saying they aren't good to great coaches but fact is they win an have won at historic levels because they have/had the the best players of all time.  don't really think that's even a question.

I hope Bellichick hangs around after Brady retires. i imagine his genius won't be so genius like with Brian Hoyer at QB.  you know like when he was in cleveland

Well he also was the defensive coordinator for two super bowl champions that were driven by their defense. 

And he turned that Cleveland team around before the rug got pulled out from under them when Model announced they were moving to Baltimore. I suggest watching the Football Life episode about the '95 Browns. 
    before Brady took over as starter in NE he was 41-55 overall with 1 winning season in 6 years

turned around cleveland?  - 1 good year in 5 years.   not exactly lighting it up.
    6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11
    You guys are missing the point. It’s the whole Patriots organization that has lead to the level of success they’ve had. From Kraft, Belichick and Brady to all the unknown folks who do all the menial shit of operating a stadium complex, and everyone in between. Anywhere else and you get two or three seasons followed by mediocrity. The Pats haven’t been mediocre since 2000.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    I stole this:

To those asking about this, the problem with guaranteeing each team a possession is that the 2nd team has a huge advantage by already knowing what the 1st team did. This is why college teams who win the coin toss elect to go 2nd
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    JK_Livin said:
    I stole this:

To those asking about this, the problem with guaranteeing each team a possession is that the 2nd team has a huge advantage by already knowing what the 1st team did. This is why college teams who win the coin toss elect to go 2nd
    What article is that from?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    edited January 2019
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:
    Two entertaining games.  Was hoping for the Super Tecmo Bowl rematch.  Andy Reid could have used the announcers last night for his defensive coordinators as they (and most anyone else that has watched the Pats) knew exactly the routes and passes they would throw before the snap.  Smart on Belichick putting lots of pressure on a (technically) rookie QB who doesn't have the experience to audible.  It will be interesting to see if they try the same against Goff, but maybe the Rams watch game film because I'm not sure the Chiefs do.

Notice that as the game wound down there was one team who had all of their Time Outs?  That the game planning in advance worked well prior to halftime adjustments?  (Extremely well) 
    It is not a knock on Big Red that Bad Bill is amazing as a HC.  Respect to Bill.  He is the best.
    I do think Reid lacks situational/in game awareness and that showed again yesterday.  Good adjustments at half and he has done a super job with his young QB.  I am a fan of Andy Reid, but Bad Bill is just so good.
    To give credit to Brady and not Bad Bill is a very different viewpoint than I had watching that game.
    didn't that same coach also blow a 14-point lead at halftime? and a 3 point lead in 30 seconds?   the Pats won the game because of Brady and a coin flip.  If the Chiefs win the coin flip they probably score a TD and win the game.

the Bulls didn't win because of Phil Jackson but because of Michael Jordan.  The Pats win because of Brady.  

yea he had Shaq and Kobe in their prime with the Lakers. two dominant players. one probably in the top 10 or so of all time and one a physical specimen that was unstoppable when healthy and motivated.  Not saying they aren't good to great coaches but fact is they win an have won at historic levels because they have/had the the best players of all time.  don't really think that's even a question.

I hope Bellichick hangs around after Brady retires. i imagine his genius won't be so genius like with Brian Hoyer at QB.  you know like when he was in cleveland

Well he also was the defensive coordinator for two super bowl champions that were driven by their defense. 

And he turned that Cleveland team around before the rug got pulled out from under them when Model announced they were moving to Baltimore. I suggest watching the Football Life episode about the '95 Browns. 
    before Brady took over as starter in NE he was 41-55 overall with 1 winning season in 6 years

turned around cleveland?  - 1 good year in 5 years.   not exactly lighting it up.
    6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11
    Yes. This was the early 90's right before free agency in the NFL started so it took 3-4 years to turn teams around. The '95 season was lost the moment Model announced they were moving the team to Baltimore. Go and watch that doc. It's entertaining and you'll learn something. 

Also--2 time super bowl champion defensive coordinator. To act like he is nothing without Brady is foolish. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11
    You guys are missing the point. It’s the whole Patriots organization that has lead to the level of success they’ve had. From Kraft, Belichick and Brady to all the unknown folks who do all the menial shit of operating a stadium complex, and everyone in between. Anywhere else and you get two or three seasons followed by mediocrity. The Pats haven’t been mediocre since 2000.

That is not a point I have missed...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

We know. You’re a male patriots cheerleader!
  • pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

We know. You’re a male patriots cheerleader!
    Oh snap
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Just play a full 10-minute quarter of OT in the playoffs. Still tied? Then go to a sudden death 2nd overtime. It might make for an injury risk. But every football play makes for an injury risk. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Just play a full 10-minute quarter of OT in the playoffs. Still tied? Then go to a sudden death 2nd overtime. It might make for an injury risk. But every football play makes for an injury risk. 
    I agree 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11
    Yes. This was the early 90's right before free agency in the NFL started so it took 3-4 years to turn teams around. The '95 season was lost the moment Model announced they were moving the team to Baltimore. Go and watch that doc. It's entertaining and you'll learn something. 

Also--2 time super bowl champion defensive coordinator. To act like he is nothing without Brady is foolish. 
    never said any such thing. I said he is good to great for sure.  the historic run they have been on has more to do with the QB than the coach. Same as the Bulls.  Take Brady from the Pats and they don't have this run.  Take Belichick away and keep Brady they might still have the same run. 
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

bullshit. once Brady retires they go back to the 1970s and 1980s Patriots.  
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

ALL the MAGA’s deserve credit! to say otherwise is fake news.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited January 2019
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

never said any such thing. I said he is good to great for sure.  the historic run they have been on has more to do with the QB than the coach. Same as the Bulls.  Take Brady from the Pats and they don't have this run.  Take Belichick away and keep Brady they might still have the same run. 
    "good to great"
    HA
    HA

It's debatable to say a coach of Andy Reid's ilk is "good to great." There's no debate on if Belichick is great or not. None. 

By the way, saying their success has "more to do" with Brady is vastly different than saying they win "because of" Brady and that the coach doesn't deserve any credit.
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Just play a full 10-minute quarter of OT in the playoffs. Still tied? Then go to a sudden death 2nd overtime. It might make for an injury risk. But every football play makes for an injury risk. 
    I would prefer a 15 minute quarter. Some teams can go on a nearly 10 minute drive.

i wonder what is the longest time of possession drive in NFL history :confused:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    if bellichick is so fucking great, then why did the browns still suck under him?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    edited January 2019
    Is Tony Romo the best color analyst since Madden in his prime?

I don't even mind the fact that he's yet another ex Cowboy in the booth. He's entertaining as well as informative. 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Is Tony Romo the best color analyst since Madden in his prime?

I don't even mind the fact that he's yet another ex Cowboy in the booth. He's entertaining as well as informative. 

The Chiefs needed him calling their defence. He knew every play before it even transpired.
  • mickeyrat said:
    if bellichick is so fucking great, then why did the browns still suck under him?
    Because the whole rest of the Browns organization sucked.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Wobbie said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

ALL the MAGA’s deserve credit! to say otherwise is fake news.
    And all the other GOAT wannabes will be forever on the outside looking in, faces pressed up against the glass, eyes wide, tongues out. In your life time, mine and three generations from now. To say otherwise is just Team Trump Treasonous.

Brilliantati©
  • Speaking of McDonald Trump... here’s his tweet congratulating his bestest friends:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1087193843756347393?s=21

Gawd they’re great buddies!
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

"good to great"
    HA
    HA

It's debatable to say a coach of Andy Reid's ilk is "good to great." There's no debate on if Belichick is great or not. None. 

By the way, saying their success has "more to do" with Brady is vastly different than saying they win "because of" Brady and that the coach doesn't deserve any credit.
    When did I ever say Belichick didn’t deserve credit?  Of course you are the same guy who said a few years ago they were winning because of Steven Ridley more than Brady so I guess I shouldn’t expect more from ya
    edited January 2019
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    pjhawks said:
    Jason P said:

6-10
    7-9
    7-9
    11-5
    5-11

"good to great"
    HA
    HA

When did I ever say Belichick didn’t deserve credit?  Of course you are the same guy who said a few years ago they were winning because of Steven Ridley more than Brady so I guess I shouldn’t expect more from ya
    Scroll up. 

And, nope. Just like yesterday proved yet again, I’ve always said the Pats do a great job of helping their qb out by not making him throw the ball 70%+ of the time. 48 runs/46 passes with possibly the greatest qb to ever play the game. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411

chinese-happy.jpg
  • So Tony Romo is being hailed as a hero for being able to call the plays in the booth before they happen but Belichick and/or players can’t do it unless they cheated? That makes a lot of sense. And how much did the Chiefs front office pay the person to shine a laser pointer in TB’s face?

Brilliantati©
    the juggler follows trey wingo on twitter :giggle:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11