Whiskey Clique

Comments

• NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Just picked up a bottle of Rip Van Winkle. Will enjoy some tonight!!

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Nice score. What did it retail if you don’t mind me asking. 
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Nice score. What did it retail if you don’t mind me asking. 
    200. I thought that was fair considering.  They said they should have some pappy in a few weeks. Hopefully I can score!!
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Sipping on some Four Roses Old fashioned's this evening and feelin' fine! Having only tasted Pappy a couple times i'd say the hype outweighs the price by miles. Gimme some Weller or Black Maple Hill at a fraction of the price for the single barrel quality. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    bbiggs said:
    Have any of you tried High West - A Midwinter Night’s Dram? My local has a few bottles coming in soon and will put one aside for me. Wondering if it’s worth the price tag. 
    high west is local, for me. Haven’t tried that one but they make good spirits.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Anyone try Conor McGregor's product yet?  Apparently people are buying it, drinking it, then selling the empty bottles on ebay for more than the full bottle cost.
    Anyone try Conor McGregor's product yet?  Apparently people are buying it, drinking it, then selling the empty bottles on ebay for more than the full bottle cost.
    Haven’t tried it. Heard it’s good though. Conor is all about the money these days. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Have some friends that pounded through a bottle on Thanksgiving.  I didn't see them in time.  They seemed to like it.
    Maker’s, a pen and heavyweight boxing. Life is good.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Had some of this last night. Sooo good
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Today was a good day.

• DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    bbiggs said:
    Today was a good day.

I would say so 
  • bbiggs said:
    Today was a good day.

That is 3G aftermarket right there!

Enjoy those!!!
    ^ That’s insane. Good thing I follow the same rule as you Chris...I refuse to pay secondary. But yes...enjoy them, I will! 
  • bbiggs said:
    ^ That’s insane. Good thing I follow the same rule as you Chris...I refuse to pay secondary. But yes...enjoy them, I will! 
    My local has come up with nada...

I'm a little upset but they might still get some...

That is still a great haul!!!
    bbiggs said:
    Today was a good day.

Show off!  :lol:  I always see the Stagg on the lists of "best bourbons" but never had it.  Looks like something J.R. Ewing would drink, not that there's anything wrong with that.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    bbiggs said:
    Have any of you tried High West - A Midwinter Night’s Dram? My local has a few bottles coming in soon and will put one aside for me. Wondering if it’s worth the price tag. 
    I've got a bottle.  It's pretty good.  I like a number of High West products, this one was a little disappointing for the price.  If you mellow it out with a splash or a cube, the flavor comes out more.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    bbiggs said:
    Today was a good day.

Holy crap!  Very nice!  When can I come over?
  • Picked this up. 

Pretty damn good. Recommended by my local. 

Anybody else ever try this?!?
    Ya know, I've never had a sip of rye in my life.  How does it compare to corn & barley mashes?
  • Ya know, I've never had a sip of rye in my life.  How does it compare to corn & barley mashes?
    I'm not an expert by any means but it is different on my tongue and the same as bourbon with the finish as you feel the tingles down your throat.
    Ya know, I've never had a sip of rye in my life.  How does it compare to corn & barley mashes?
    I'm not an expert by any means but it is different on my tongue and the same as bourbon with the finish as you feel the tingles down your throat.
    I've always heard it's a bit spicier on the tongue, less sweet.  Would you say that's a fair assessment in general?
  • Ya know, I've never had a sip of rye in my life.  How does it compare to corn & barley mashes?
    I've always heard it's a bit spicier on the tongue, less sweet.  Would you say that's a fair assessment in general?
    Yes most definitely.

If you enjoy a bourbon I don't see any reason for you not to enjoy rye.
  • DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    These are some really nice ryes if you get the chance to try them. 
    Both are sweeter then the Hayden’s and not as spicy on the tongue, but a nice finish  
    I wouldn’t pass on any of the three to be honest. 
  • DavidD said:
    These are some really nice ryes if you get the chance to try them. 
    Both are sweeter then the Hayden’s and not as spicy on the tongue, but a nice finish  
    I wouldn’t pass on any of the three to be honest. 
    I've heard great things about Michters and is on my short list of things to try.
    I was hoping to get a Michters Toasted Barrel this year but it didn’t happen. I’ve heard good things. 
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Best rye =

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    My favorite rye’s that aren’t crazy expensive are Michters and High West Double rye. Both should be found under $50 and are pretty good. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

edited December 2018
    I like Rye.  I drink Bulleit rye and use rye for manhattan's.  Can anyone speak to MPG and the differences between the various rye's made in that factory? I know they make basically every Rye on the shelf, at various price points, so I am curious if there is actually much of a difference and if so, are those differences just blending and such?  Like I am sure there are plenty of differences between ages, but I am sure you could find a two 12 years at very different price points.  Is there a difference?

Tough to see how so many "companies" could make different rye coming from the exact same mass distiller.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • I like Rye.  I drink Bulleit rye and use rye for manhattan's.  Can anyone speak to MPG and the differences between the various rye's made in that factory? I know they make basically every Rye on the shelf, at various price points, so I am curious if there is actually much of a difference and if so, are those differences just blending and such?  Like I am sure there are plenty of differences between ages, but I am sure you could find a two 12 years at very different price points.  Is there a difference?

Tough to see how so many "companies" could make different rye coming from the exact same mass distiller.
    Different times putting it in the barrel.  Different wood for the barrel.  Different methods of distilling.  Temperature that it ages at.

Lots of different factors go into it.

Buffalo Trace is doing something unique and exploring how and if slight differences can really alter the end taste.

Here is a great article but will most likely be hard to find at first.
    https://thewhiskeywash.com/whiskey-styles/bourbon/buffalo-trace-aims-to-explore-all-things-oak-in-new-bourbon-series/