Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,538
    edited November 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    We went out for my father in law's 70th bday a few weeks ago and after dinner we ended up at this swanky upscale bar/restaurant.  My father in law started talking about all the scotch's they had at the bar and eluded to the fact that the Macallen 18 year is one of his favorites.  When he went to the bathroom I ordered him one and myself a tito's/club; he came back and was happy about the drink but pissed that i had spent money on him (old school Italian).  I got the bill and it was $44 for his drink, is that normal or way overpriced?  I know nothing about scotch.  
    I'd say yes $44 is overpriced.
    But based on my knowledge of restaurant/bar liquor pricing it might be in line with industry standards.
    18 yr old Macallan retails in the $350 range.
    The Restaurant maybe paid $250.
    If its drams that's 20 per bottle x 44= $880
    It its shots that's  25 per bottle  x 44 = $1100

If they used retail pricing then it was the industry standard.

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    Remy Louis?  Yeah, with the other guy...thanks but no thanks!
    What cognac are you drinking then?
    Oh shit is cognac?!?! F ing gross.  I hate the taste of cognac.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Remy Louis?  Yeah, with the other guy...thanks but no thanks!
    What cognac are you drinking then?
    Oh shit is cognac?!?! F ing gross.  I hate the taste of cognac.  
    I don't think you'd hate this.  

I've let people try the 25yo rum and every person that told me "But I don't like rum" had a the same reaction after trying it.  "That doesn't taste like rum!"

Aging makes it so much better.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    ^ I have a couple bottles of 23 year old bourbon. That many years in a barrel definitely gives a very different flavor. It’s not for everyone, but I enjoy it. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I don't care what it is, $44 for any drink is way overpriced.
    My guess is you won't be drinking Louis anytime soon.  $250 for an ounce...
    I wouldn’t drink it on principle. 
  • Options
    After you had a sip you'd get it.

Or

Maybe not, lol!
  • Options
    After you had a sip you'd get it.

Or

Maybe not, lol!
    There is nothing that is going to convince me it was worth spending an extra $240 over the $10 pour.  And for that matter, there is nothing in a $44 drink that is going to convince me it's worth spending an extra $34 over the $10 drink.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    From last nights VIP event at my place of employment....

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,441

That would make my holidays happy 😃 
    did you get anything for yourself?
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104

I'm jealous. I wish my work would have a party like that. I think I got a hangover just looking at the pictures lol
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I'm jealous. I wish my work would have a party like that. I think I got a hangover just looking at the pictures lol
    Haha. My work could do this, and I still wouldn’t go.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

The pricing on that stuff is wayyyyy below the rape prices that places are charging and is exactly why I won't be getting a bottle of William Larue Weller anytime soon at $800 a bottle...

I do see it there to the right of a bottle of Rip Van Winkle though.

God bless whomever acquired that bottle.

ISO!!!
  • Options

The pricing on that stuff is wayyyyy below the rape prices that places are charging and is exactly why I won't be getting a bottle of William Larue Weller anytime soon at $800 a bottle...

ISO!!!
    It was a ticketed lottery style event.
    Pappy 20 went first
    W.L.Weller went 2nd I believe
  • Options

ISO!!!
    It was a ticketed lottery style event.
    Pappy 20 went first
    W.L.Weller went 2nd I believe
    I'm surprised no one sprung for Lot B or Old Rip next. Your people know their shit then.  

Did the other BTAC bottles follow suit?

You've got the limited 4 Roses, Michters, Whistle pig and another i have been wanting to try in A midwinter Nights Dream.

So 3 bottles I would have LOVED to get my hands on with 4R, Midwinter and Larue.
  • Options
    Lot of good bottles at good prices in that picture above. I scored a Lot B, GTS and Four Roses Limited this year. Was hoping for a PVW 20 and WLW as my first choices, but I can’t be too disappointed. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Lot of good bottles at good prices in that picture above. I scored a Lot B, GTS and Four Roses Limited this year. Was hoping for a PVW 20 and WLW as my first choices, but I can’t be too disappointed. 
    4 Roses is a must.  Nice choice.  Not interested in the Midwinters night?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I would have been interested but my local store was getting much less than last year so I had to pick my spots. They said their allocation was way down from just a year ago. I guess a lot of the Pappy/BTAC (more than last year anyway) is being distributed to certain Asian countries that have a palette for American whiskey and are paying top dollar. Crazy business. 
  • Options
    Funny enough, the four roses LE was more expensive than Lot B or the GTS. 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Funny enough, the four roses LE was more expensive than Lot B or the GTS. 
    It should be but people usually go for the Old Rip name first.  I've read that the 4 roses is an amazing pour!bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I would have been interested but my local store was getting much less than last year so I had to pick my spots. They said their allocation was way down from just a year ago. I guess a lot of the Pappy/BTAC (more than last year anyway) is being distributed to certain Asian countries that have a palette for American whiskey and are paying top dollar. Crazy business. 
    Well it started off w cognac so now they have moved up to american whisky?  Bastards.  Isn't it easier to get Japanese bourbon, lol?!?
  • Options
    Miss.SnowdropMiss.Snowdrop Scotland Posts: 192
    I went to the Isle of Skye the other week and we ended up at the Talisker distillery and had a wee taster... I went home with the Dark Storm. Thick, sweet, smoky a bit salty. Reminds me of sea salt and caramel chocolate... yum!
  • Options
    RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,624
    I went to the Isle of Skye the other week and we ended up at the Talisker distillery and had a wee taster... I went home with the Dark Storm. Thick, sweet, smoky a bit salty. Reminds me of sea salt and caramel chocolate... yum!
    Talisker Storm/Dark Storm are 2 of my favorites .
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• Options
    dankind said:

Haha. My work could do this, and I still wouldn’t go.
    Fuckin eh, same! :rock_on:
  • Options
    I just looked them up and they have a 25yo that won't break the bank.

Anyone ever try that one?

It's called Caol Ila 25.
  • Options
    I just looked them up and they have a 25yo that won't break the bank.

Anyone ever try that one?

It's called Caol Ila 25.
    Not tried that one. I tried their 18yo and it was too peppery/spicy for me. The dark storm is rounder, sweeter... it's just so up my alley at the moment. 
  • Options
    RS151862 said:
    Talisker Storm/Dark Storm are 2 of my favorites .
    I've not tried the regular Storm yet, but I just saw that my pub around the corner has it. Will defo give it a go. 

• Options
    Middleton Very Rare.

I have bought this for my boss because she loved it so much last year.  Anyone ever try this?
  • Options
    booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 253
    New visitor from the thread over on The Porch. Thanks @tempo_n_groove
  • Options
    New visitor from the thread over on The Porch. Thanks @tempo_n_groove
    Yeah!  Right on!
  • Options
    Got a pretty good haul this season, but the Pappy 20 that I wanted most escaped me.  Ended up with George T. Stagg, Old Rip 10 year and Lot B.  Weller full proof and 12 Year.  Old Fitz 15 year BIB.  Four Roses LE. 
  • Options
    booboolisciousboobooliscious Hebron, KY Posts: 253
    bbiggs said:
    Got a pretty good haul this season, but the Pappy 20 that I wanted most escaped me.  Ended up with George T. Stagg, Old Rip 10 year and Lot B.  Weller full proof and 12 Year.  Old Fitz 15 year BIB.  Four Roses LE. 
    That's a fantastic haul.