Whiskey Clique

Comments

• DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    Unfortunately we don’t get all the bourbons up here in Toronto. 
    The last time I was in the states we stoped off in Charlotte and hit a liquor shop. Your bourbon section was bigger then some of our whiskey sections. It almost brought a tear to my eye. It was so beautiful and sad at the same time. LOL. 
    Appreciate the info. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    ^ Ahhh I see. I’d give it a try then. Definitely not bad at all. Just a little overpriced imo. 
    Definitely on the higher end at $140 Canadian. I’ll have to think about it over some bourbon tonight  =)
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    Charles Good Night Bourbon.

Great bang for the buck.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    any of you watch “Moonshiners”?

such a great show. quite educational, too.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    any of you watch “Moonshiners”?

such a great show. quite educational, too.
    I’ve seen it a few times.
    Not a bad show. 
    Charles Good Night Bourbon.

Great bang for the buck.
    Another one that doesn’t make its way into Ontario. 
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,027
    Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style - 115 proof and delicious!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
    I just purchased a bottle of Jack Daniels barrel proof at the recommendation of my local...

He says "don't let the name fool you"

I'll let you all know.

At 130 proof I am hoping it is tasty as he says.
    ^ Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned regular bottle of jack. Still a great mixing whiskey. Splash of ginger or 7 up...good stuff 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,483
    edited April 2019
    Purchased a barrel strength  Horse Soldier.
    Only the second barrel strength ive tried, not near as good as the Sagamore Rye and more expensive
    Post edited by Malroth on
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Nothing wrong with a good old fashioned regular bottle of jack. Still a great mixing whiskey. Splash of ginger or 7 up...good stuff 
    Thing is it's not a regular bottle and it's not getting mixed w anything but a few drops of H2O!
    bbiggs said:
    Thing is it's not a regular bottle and it's not getting mixed w anything but a few drops of H2O!
    Oh no doubt! That bottle you have is a different animal.  I was just referencing the “don’t let the name fool you” comment from your local.  Jack is still a staple and a damn good whiskey! 
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Oh no doubt! That bottle you have is a different animal.  I was just referencing the “don’t let the name fool you” comment from your local.  Jack is still a staple and a damn good whiskey! 
    I'm really excited to try it.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Enjoy bud. Look forward to hearing your take. Never had that one. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    I tasted it when I toured the distillery (very good tour of you like that kind of thing). Very tasty and much smoother than I expected. 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    a bar owner in seattle told me these bottles are becoming increasingly hard to get and you should grab them if you can...

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Rock Hill is good stuff. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Would love to get my hands on some of the WLW and the GeorgeT. Stage uncut/unfiltered stuff. 
    Stocked up on some of the Weller antique. It disappeared for a bit and is back on the shelf’s but for $35 I grabbed me a few bottles just in case it does another disappearing act. 
    Stagg runs a little too hot for me.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Have you tried the WLW antique.  Would you say they’re similar?

DavidD said:
    dankind said:
    Have you tried the WLW antique.  Would you say they’re similar?

Never tried WLW antique.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
     I find the antique to be on the spicier/hot side. Would imagine it would be similar. 
    Only one way to find out I guess. lol
    Wobbie said:
    a bar owner in seattle told me these bottles are becoming increasingly hard to get and you should grab them if you can...

I have 3 of the five.

The WLW is one of my favorites I've ever had and am still looking for a bottle.

A few drops of water opens it right up.
  • To all you Laphroaig fans, more power to you.  It's so intense, I will have to try it again and see if I can enjoy it, it's so damned intense!
    Going to make it a mission to try Pappy by hell or high water, that price is nuts but.....want to try it.  
    One find I had is an Elijah Craig 12 year single barrel that was local to the store near me.  I ended up buying 6 bottles when it came in.  I've never had a whiskey with a 'dry' finish.  Almost no whiskey kick at the end, it was strange, surprising, delightful.  If you ever share a drink with someone, wanting to see them enjoy it, this has been a go to for me for years as I go through the bottles.  Just a glass, neat, maybe a few drops of water but they take a sip and you see this surprise as if 'wait, what was that??" and they want more!  It's wonderful and I'd love to find another that has such an experience but think that may have been a lottery win of a selection.

Got me some Blanton gold and EH Taylor small batch coming in next month.  =) woohoo!!
    DavidD said:
    Got me some Blanton gold and EH Taylor small batch coming in next month.  =) woohoo!!
    EH Taylor is supposed to be really good.

Blantons is always good.

To all you Laphroaig fans, more power to you.  It's so intense, I will have to try it again and see if I can enjoy it, it's so damned intense!
    Going to make it a mission to try Pappy by hell or high water, that price is nuts but.....want to try it.  
    One find I had is an Elijah Craig 12 year single barrel that was local to the store near me.  I ended up buying 6 bottles when it came in.  I've never had a whiskey with a 'dry' finish.  Almost no whiskey kick at the end, it was strange, surprising, delightful.  If you ever share a drink with someone, wanting to see them enjoy it, this has been a go to for me for years as I go through the bottles.  Just a glass, neat, maybe a few drops of water but they take a sip and you see this surprise as if 'wait, what was that??" and they want more!  It's wonderful and I'd love to find another that has such an experience but think that may have been a lottery win of a selection.

Pappy is good but don't go chasing that dragon at the prices they have.

I've been very fortunate to have had a few bottles now but I won't pay stupid prices for them!
    DavidD said:
    EH Taylor is supposed to be really good.

Blantons is always good.

I have two bottles of the taylor one open one is still sealed. And one open bottle of the gold, but back ups are nice to have on the shelf lol