Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    Got a pretty good haul this season, but the Pappy 20 that I wanted most escaped me.  Ended up with George T. Stagg, Old Rip 10 year and Lot B.  Weller full proof and 12 Year.  Old Fitz 15 year BIB.  Four Roses LE. 
    That's a fantastic haul.
    He over achieves every year...
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    bbiggs said:
    Got a pretty good haul this season, but the Pappy 20 that I wanted most escaped me.  Ended up with George T. Stagg, Old Rip 10 year and Lot B.  Weller full proof and 12 Year.  Old Fitz 15 year BIB.  Four Roses LE. 
    That's a fantastic haul.
    It's just dumb luck.  My local spot is super generous and calls me when most of these come in.  Some I jump on.  Others I pass on.  Always a fun time of year.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    That's a fantastic haul.
    It's just dumb luck.  My local spot is super generous and calls me when most of these come in.  Some I jump on.  Others I pass on.  Always a fun time of year.

My local got bought out, new people give zero fucks about loyalty, will not sell me anything that is nice for under retail...

William Larue Weller has been sitting there since December 1st for $900.  I asked them to gve me a better price on that but they tell me that resell is too much to do that.  I tell them that they got the bottle for $90 and sell it to me for double retail.

No we can't do that.

I guess I need to find another local spot then huh?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    That's a fantastic haul.

My local got bought out, new people give zero fucks about loyalty, will not sell me anything that is nice for under retail...

William Larue Weller has been sitting there since December 1st for $900.  I asked them to gve me a better price on that but they tell me that resell is too much to do that.  I tell them that they got the bottle for $90 and sell it to me for double retail.

No we can't do that.

I guess I need to find another local spot then huh?
    That is complete horse shit, but unfortunately is the reality at some retailers. To mark that bottle up to $900 is asinine. I do think you should frequent a new spot if you’re able to. There are still good retailers out there that reward loyalty and don’t price gouge. That’s a shame. 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    And it will sit on that shelf with a $900 price tag for a while if they're not willing to budge. No alcohol is worth $900 a bottle. NONE.
  • Options
    Thought this was appropriate for this thread. Stout aged 24 months in Pappy barrels. Bearded Iris Brewery. Outstanding.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    Thought this was appropriate for this thread. Stout aged 24 months in Pappy barrels. Bearded Iris Brewery. Outstanding.

Do they bottle that?
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

Do they bottle that?
    Yes. Sold at the brewery only and they sold out in less than an hour. That was a few weeks or a month ago. I would have loved to take one home but no go. Very limited production. I’m glad they had it on tap though. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Happy New Year!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Got a nice little gift from my dad last week. 
    On the nose you get the alcohol right away and would expect it to be a spicy drink, but It goes down nice.

• Options
    DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,444
    Scored me a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof. Hopefully I get my seat locations for Toronto and Hamilton tonight so I can celebrate some awesome seats. Or just celebrate the fact I actually scored seats. 
    Anyone have or try this bourbon before? 
  • Options
    DavidD said:
    Scored me a bottle of Elijah Craig barrel proof. Hopefully I get my seat locations for Toronto and Hamilton tonight so I can celebrate some awesome seats. Or just celebrate the fact I actually scored seats. 

I've had it.  It's good but pretty hot.  It clocked in around 136 proof iirc.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,039
    bbiggs said:
    DavidD said:

It's tasty! ...and yes, it's very hot. 
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    DavidD said:

bbiggs said:
    DavidD said:

It's tasty! ...and yes, it's very hot. 
    Drop of water should open up the flavor and stop that burn.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The old standby. 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394

I'm a fan of Irish Whiskey but I typically stick the staples of Red Breast, Bushmills, Tullamore Dew, etc. Picked these two up tonight just to try something different. At less than $30 each it's low risk. 
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Couple of new pickups today
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
  • Options
    Attaway77Attaway77 Posts: 2,886
    Damn!!!! That's a bummer, I like it...  The small batch (that picture) is all I've had so I'm looking forward to the Reserve... 
    1998 Dallas (7/5) 2006 San Fran (7/15,7/16) 2009 San Fran (8/28) 2010 Bristow (5/13) NY (5/21) 2011 Alpine Valley (9/3,9/4)
    2012 Missoula (9/30) 2013 Chicago (7/19) Pittsburgh (10/11) Buffalo (10/12) Baltimore (10/27) Dallas (11/15)
    2014 Austin (10/12) Memphis (10/14) St. Paul (10/19) Milwaukee (10/20) Denver (10/22)
    2016 Ft. Lauderdale (4/8) Miami (4/9) Hampton (4/18) Philly (4/28,4/29) NY (5/1,5/2) 2018 Seattle (8/10) Missoula (8/13) 2022 Nashville (9/16)

E.V. - 2008 Berkeley (4/8) 2012 Austin (11/9,11/12)
    Temple of the Dog - 2016 Upper Darby

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    bflynn1 said:
    That Jack Daniels Single Barrel is some good stuff. I toured the distillery a couple years ago and that was one of the selections at the end of tour tasting.

I wound up getting the Single Barrel Select, which is a similar flavor profile but at a slightly lower proof.
  • Options
    BRAIN0FJAYBRAIN0FJAY Charleston, WV Posts: 989
    bflynn1 said:

bflynn1 said:

Nice grab on the JDBP - good stuff 
    ...So much talk it makes no sense at all...
  • Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
    Dalmore 12 year old Malt Whisky Buy online whiskyscouk
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    bflynn1 said:
    I've heard great things about that JD bottle.  I have one that I haven't got around to drinking yet.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Malroth said:
    Dalmore 12 year old Malt Whisky Buy online whiskyscouk
    Always a solid choice.
  • Options
    Has anyone ever seen this bottle?

• Options
    bbiggs said:

@Be@Bentleyspop Do you know if this is available anywhere? 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,544
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Very limited release in CA, CO, IL, NY, and WA only.
    Often these things are very small batch one-offs.
    Might still be sitting on a store shelf somewhere. 
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

Very limited release in CA, CO, IL, NY, and WA only.
    Often these things are very small batch one-offs.
    Might still be sitting on a store shelf somewhere. 
    Good to know.  Thank you.  A friend is desperately trying to find one, as he's a huge AIC fan.  I guess it is unlikely he'll be successful.  Although, we are in IL, so maybe there is one collecting dust somewhere.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    A sip from the bottle I gave my old man for his last Christmas and that he had some of the night before he went to the hospital, on his would be 70th. Cheers