PJ fans in 12 step Recovery

Comments

• Before  I was hung upon  all types of Neuro diseases.  I had symptoms  that I believed were something. 
    But as a physc would say I lost a child 14 years ago when all this got worse. Then left family. 
    Had a baby with a new partner and the memory and confusion  went really bad. So.its all linked in their  eyes. 
    Here I sit at 3 a.m wishing I wasn't around anymore. It's a sad place
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,409
    Before  I was hung upon  all types of Neuro diseases.  I had symptoms  that I believed were something. 
    But as a physc would say I lost a child 14 years ago when all this got worse. Then left family. 
    Had a baby with a new partner and the memory and confusion  went really bad. So.its all linked in their  eyes. 
    Here I sit at 3 a.m wishing I wasn't around anymore. It's a sad place
    but then who would post those sunrise/sunset pics  from where you are?

aside from your importance as a parent, your actions here are helping to enhance our lives  by sharing those beautiful moments.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,696
    edited November 2018
    Thank you Mickey its a really horrible time and I'm sure you have been here. 
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I'm not in a program, but today marks six months without alcohol for me.

Best choice I (n)ever made.

I do miss it, but I can't - and won't ever - go back.

lastexit, I don't have much to offer except to say continue to hang in there.  I hope you find the path that's best for you achieving some peace of mind.
  • njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited November 2018
    hedonist said:
    I'm not in a program, but today marks six months without alcohol for me.

Best choice I (n)ever made.

I do miss it, but I can't - and won't ever - go back.

lastexit, I don't have much to offer except to say continue to hang in there.  I hope you find the path that's best for you achieving some peace of mind.
    Congratulations!! That is an amazing accomplishment - 6 months is huge. I hope your desire for alcohol gets less with more time and maybe you'll check out a meeting one day - you don't have to speak, you can just listen. 

Hang in there - you are a miracle!!! 

Post edited by njnancy on
    Thanks, Nancy.  The emotions attached to this are surprising, but not really unwelcome.
    hedonist said:
    Thanks, Nancy.  The emotions attached to this are surprising, but not really unwelcome.
    One day, one hour, one second at a time. If your day gets messed up, just start over. (I give great advice for a person who is so messed up :lol: )   I'm proud of you. But I'll leave you to your emotions. 
    njnancy said:
    hedonist said:
    One day, one hour, one second at a time. If your day gets messed up, just start over. (I give great advice for a person who is so messed up :lol: )   I'm proud of you. But I'll leave you to your emotions. 
    thats the do as I say not as I do for advice.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    hedonist, you were always welcome here to begin with. always kind and encouraging.

more so now that we get to return the kindness.

and there are any number of ways to get and stay sober. From my standpoint, whatever works, go with it.

Thanks, mickey...I appreciate it so much.

I didn't feel unwelcome, just wasn't ready to bare and share that here.  I'm glad I did.
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Hedo :hug:

Proud of you!
    edited December 2018
    mickeyrat said:
    njnancy said:
    hedonist said:
    thats the do as I say not as I do for advice.
     No, that's the admission that I make mistakes and am flawed. As we all are. But I know how to stay sober so I try to help. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
    hedonist said:
    Thanks, mickey...I appreciate it so much.

I didn't feel unwelcome, just wasn't ready to bare and share that here.  I'm glad I did.
    if you ever chose to share what was behind this decision, either here or privately, you'd find an interested wiling ear in me.

I find power and hope in such stories.

Recently found and reached out to my high school best friend.
    Spoke with him yesterday. Glad to know he is on a sober path via a christian 12 step deal.  What I could glean through public records from the recentish past didnt look good.

Turns out he lives super close. Like walking distance close. Life sure is strange......

I went to my first AA meeting today.  Much swirling in my head, to process.

Right now, I'm still finding my footing on this new path, figuring out shit. I'm not sure if meetings are the right fit for me or if I'll give it another shot.  I like that that particular road is there though, should I choose to take it. 
    hedonist said:

Right now, I'm still finding my footing on this new path, figuring out shit. I'm not sure if meetings are the right fit for me or if I'll give it another shot.  I like that that particular road is there though, should I choose to take it. 
    so, no pressure, but try many meetings.  different formats. Initially I'd recommend speaker or lead meetings. This is where one person shares their story. Just sit and listen. see where you identify. If it suits you , branch out to discussion meetings and literature meetings.  Again, just sit and listen. see where you identify.

hedonist said:

I'm glad that you are happy you have choices. They are big steps to take and it is overwhelming. 

Thanks for letting us know. It's not easy to open up but I'm glad you did and I'm here to support you in any way you need. :hug:
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Sending my heartfelt wishes for continued sobriety for so many of you.  To those struggling, keep going!  You can do it.
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
    edited December 2018
    Curious,in general about the meeting you went to? What type, size, etc.....

Thank you, all  :)

mickey, there were about a dozen people - and such a range (based solely on the physical).  Only a few people spoke, and while I didn't necessarily relate personally, I was aware of the commonality amidst our differences.

Funny, a few hours after I got home, was absolutely WIPED.  Not just physically - my liver is sick and "normal" activity can be taxing - but moreso emotionally.

Thoughts, and processing them, can be so fucking exhausting!

It's wonderful to have this thread for those who need a haven now and then.
    like cancer, alcoholism and drug addiction dont give a shit who you are, where you are from, how you grew up, how much is in your bank account, where you live, what you look like, who you pray to, or dont pray to.

The great leveler.

hedonist said:
    Thank you, all  :)

mickey, there were about a dozen people - and such a range (based solely on the physical).  Only a few people spoke, and while I didn't necessarily relate personally, I was aware of the commonality amidst our differences.

Funny, a few hours after I got home, was absolutely WIPED.  Not just physically - my liver is sick and "normal" activity can be taxing - but moreso emotionally.

Thoughts, and processing them, can be so fucking exhausting!

It's wonderful to have this thread for those who need a haven now and then.
    ok. would still suggest a variety of different meetings. locations, days etc....

you may land with folks you are drawn to. or not.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I'm seriously considering giving up alcohol permanently. I have read about people who have done it and experienced unexpected health benefits. 

anyone have any experiences like this they'd like to share?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited December 2018
    Well, if beer is your thing and you quit drinking it, you'll likely lose some weight.

And your liver will thank you as well.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    Well, if beer is your thing and you quit drinking it, you'll likely lose some weight.

more of a whiskey guy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• I guess it can only benefit health and mental health. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I guess it can only benefit health and mental health. 
    in the long term, yes. it's the short term i'm worried about. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:

losing weight is a certainty for me. I don't drink much pop unless I'm mixing it with whiskey. but I also tend to snack a lot when drinking. loads of chips and other garbage. 

had a crazy anxiety episode that lasted two months; ate regular portions at meals, no junk food, drank zero alcohol. lost 40 pounds in that time. unfortunately I gained it all back once shit improved. 

people thought I was sick. I kinda was. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

I'm seriously considering giving up alcohol permanently. I have read about people who have done it and experienced unexpected health benefits. 

anyone have any experiences like this they'd like to share?
    well, alcohol is considered a depressant , so stopping surely would have mental health improvements, unless its being used in a self-medication way. which for many in AA is the case. So outside professional help is recommended in conjunction.

In any case, it can be done in the guise of an experiment. Stop and just see what happens.