Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    Remember the guy that ate the guys face on the bus a few years ago?

Did you maniacs let that guy go yet? lol

Of course we did!

In February 2017, Li received an absolute discharge and is now living independently in a Manitoba community. The province's Criminal Code Review Board ruled he is no longer required to attend annual reviews or abide by conditions. He later changed his name to Will Lee Baker.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-beheading-10th-anniversary-1.4760074
    What the fuck?  Why is your legal system so lenient?

It's got nothing to do with the legal system being lenient. He was found NCRMD (not criminally responsible by reason of mental disorder), the rough equivalent to the US NGRI (not guilty by reason of insanity). At that point it leaves the criminal justice system entirely, like your NGRI acquittees, and enters another system. He was treated and monitored under that system until his risk was low enough that it could be well managed in the community, and then discharged to the civil mental health system, where he is still being monitored and treated.

Except that he's completely in the clear and not being monitored or treated.

That isn't true. He's not being monitored by the Review Board system but he's being monitored by the civil system. 
    Well that's comforting.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:

Of course we did!

In February 2017, Li received an absolute discharge and is now living independently in a Manitoba community. The province's Criminal Code Review Board ruled he is no longer required to attend annual reviews or abide by conditions. He later changed his name to Will Lee Baker.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/greyhound-beheading-10th-anniversary-1.4760074
    What the fuck?  Why is your legal system so lenient?

LOL.  Lenient might an understatement.  The city where my father lives had a triple murder in '92, the loser killed a teenager with a gun, then went back and stabbed to death the teenager's grandparents who answered the door and saw them together.  He is on day parole ...
    That is crazy. 
    I remember those murders well ... it gripped the community, a usually very safe community.  Even crazier, I worked with his father ... his father was a great guy...but he did not raise the kid, the mother did.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Three was actually 3 who did the killing, 2 were young offenders and have long since been released from custody.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    An article that deals with the issue of  whether to allow teens to drink in the home, as we were discussing yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/19/letting-children-try-alcohol-at-home-wont-deter-binge-drinking-say-uk-experts
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    my2hands said:

of course. and we awarded him with a free trip to Sweden. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

An article that deals with the issue of  whether to allow teens to drink in the home, as we were discussing yesterday

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/19/letting-children-try-alcohol-at-home-wont-deter-binge-drinking-say-uk-experts
    Good article.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    'Too drunk to play': Broom-breaking pro curlers ejected from tournament

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/too-drunk-to-play-broom-breaking-pro-curlers-ejected-from-tournament-1.4183312?
    fbclid=IwAR2D5KxnGl8_glv6_q3Ywgfuq2MmB9BWOso2d7gbgWQ3mqKaMG5mNXYDa80

What's more Canadian than this...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    and if you want to go even further, I believe it is perfectly legal for someone 12 and up to have alchohol at a restaurant or lounge as long as they are having a meal and are accompanied by an adult. 
    It’s not legal in BC 
    No, and I had no idea that was legal anywhere in Canada.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Just heard on the news that B.C. announced it will table legislation next spring with a timeline for phasing out sales of fossil fuel powered vehicles in the whole province. I think 2040 is the projected year for no further sales. Interesting and likely controversial legislation and I’m looking forward to reading more about it. I assume they chose a date so far in the future to reduce the risk of major blowback at this point. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    Just heard on the news that B.C. announced it will table legislation next spring with a timeline for phasing out sales of fossil fuel powered vehicles in the whole province. I think 2040 is the projected year for no further sales. Interesting and likely controversial legislation and I’m looking forward to reading more about it. I assume they chose a date so far in the future to reduce the risk of major blowback at this point. 
    That's interesting.  I'm also curious to see.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    my2hands said:

Totally ridiculous 
  • my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Totally ridiculous 

lol

I'm pretty sure Hugh was being a smartass. Although, in all honesty, I have zero confidence in our judicial system- it's a joke and widely accepted as one.

Our police are fantastic though. They always get their man. They likely wonder why they bother sometimes though after handing their outstanding work to the courts.
    I actually wish they'd made the sales stop earlier, like 2030 or 2035. I mean, hasn't France set it for 2025 or something? I figured if they can manage that, Canada should be able to manage a date earlier than 2040.

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2018
    250,000 litre oil spill off Newfoundland coast. Can never be cleaned up.

Weird. I was told there's no risk with oil conduit technology.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4681892/oil-spill-newfoundland-2/?utm_source=Article&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    good way to piss off those pesky albertans! 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Just heard on the news that B.C. announced it will table legislation next spring with a timeline for phasing out sales of fossil fuel powered vehicles in the whole province. I think 2040 is the projected year for no further sales. Interesting and likely controversial legislation and I’m looking forward to reading more about it. I assume they chose a date so far in the future to reduce the risk of major blowback at this point. 

lol

I never even thought of how that might tick them off a little.
  • TalonTeddTalonTedd Toronto Posts: 835
    I didn't realize crack was legal in Toronto?
    you, of all, should take a deep haul.  live a little before its all over.
    I remember when, yeah. I swore I knew everything, oh yeah.
    edited November 2018

lol

I never even thought of how that might tick them off a little.
    Haha, neither did I. I'm just hoping that Alberta and every other province follows suit very soon. I'm assuming they will because they'll have to. If everyone is doing it, it sure won't serve them well to hold out. They just need to shift their economy somewhat. Easier said than done obviously, but they're going to have to face a changing reality at some point.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    GM to close Oshawa plant, leaving 2,800 people out of work: Report

https://www.chathamdailynews.ca/news/canada/gm-to-close-oshawa-plant-report/wcm/19b8864c-861b-46df-b436-38f9736cde98

Wonder if this loser company plans on paying back their welfare from the taxpayer...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited November 2018
    Alberta declares beer trade war on Ontario.

edit: personal commentary aside.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alberta-declares-beer-trade-war-with-ontario/ar-BBQ7xMq?ocid=spartanntp
    Post edited by Thirty Bills Unpaid on

Gee... if it's not one province's coast they insist on utilizing to their advantage, it's another's population.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/alberta-declares-beer-trade-war-with-ontario/ar-BBQ7xMq?ocid=spartanntp
    Notley is a fucking idiot.
  • PJ_Soul said:

Gee... if it's not one province's coast they insist on utilizing to their advantage, it's another's population.

Notley is a fucking idiot.

I was kinda thinking this too.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Very interesting. Is there any beer worth drinking from Alberta?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

Probably? Not good enough for people to give a shit, lol. There is tons of good liquor all across the country.
    Alberta seems to have developed some kind of superiority complex, where they basically try to demand that the rest of the country appreciate them and their resources. Whether or not anyone wants to is apparently irrelevant, lol, plus they are completely unwilling to adjust their economy. They want everyone else to just stop evolving so that they don't have to change anything. It's ludicrous. Notley keeps treating other provinces like the enemy out to get Alberta or something. It's weird. I think she is rather emotionally immature TBH.

https://www.avenuecalgary.com/Restaurants-Food/Beer/Best-Beer-in-Alberta/

Brewery of the Year 

1. Blind Enthusiasm Brewing Company (Edmonton)
    2. Alley Kat Brewery (Edmonton)
    3. Blindman Brewing (Lacombe) 
    3. Troubled Monk Brewery (Red Deer)

#2 ranked beer in alberta:  
    1. New England Pale Ale from Blindman Brewing
 (Lacombe) 

I still can't find a bc pinot gris but I will somehow find beer from one of these breweries.  Del, Ally, Hugh: I need to try the New England Pale Ale from blindman brewing!!!  Who is going to send me a 12 pack?!
    See this is bs, you can only find blindman brewing in one place outside alberta: 

NWT LIQUOR COMMISSION

201-31 CAPITAL DRIVE, HAY RIVER

HAY RIVER

Anybody heading to the Northwest Territories anytime soon?  lol

PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Probably? Not good enough for people to give a shit, lol. There is tons of good liquor all across the country.
    Alberta seems to have developed some kind of superiority complex, where they basically try to demand that the rest of the country appreciate them and their resources. Whether or not anyone wants to is apparently irrelevant, lol, plus they are completely unwilling to adjust their economy. They want everyone else to just stop evolving so that they don't have to change anything. It's ludicrous. Notley keeps treating other provinces like the enemy out to get Alberta or something. It's weird. I think she is rather emotionally immature TBH.
    As an Ontarian, from what I understand she is upset that the LCBO doesn't stock more beer from Alberta.  My opinion, as long as the LCBO revenue provided money to the government coffers I am fine with them favouring Ontario breweries, wineries and liquor.  Because those businesses provide jobs and revenue to the Ontario economy.  On a day like this when Ontario was dealt a huge blow with GM's announcement that they were closing Oshawa assembly after being in the city for 100 years, that selfish bitch has to be the dumbest fucking politician in Canada to pick a fight with Ontario over booze...clueless twit.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

As an Ontarian, from what I understand she is upset that the LCBO doesn't stock more beer from Alberta.  My opinion, as long as the LCBO revenue provided money to the government coffers I am fine with them favouring Ontario breweries, wineries and liquor.  Because those businesses provide jobs and revenue to the Ontario economy.  On a day like this when Ontario was dealt a huge blow with GM's announcement that they were closing Oshawa assembly after being in the city for 100 years, that selfish bitch has to be the dumbest fucking politician in Canada to pick a fight with Ontario over booze...clueless twit.
    Yeah, she is a ridiculous selfish fool for sure. Did you know she also tried out a booze war with BC? She attempted to take all BC wines off Albertan shelves to punish BC for not wanting a pipeline to run straight through the heart of metro Vancouver. It really didn't work. Nobody gave a shit, lol. People in BC simply decided to start buying more BC wines themselves. If anything, it helped the BC wine industry, haha.
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Yeah, she is a ridiculous selfish fool for sure. Did you know she also tried out a booze war with BC? She attempted to take all BC wines off Albertan shelves to punish BC for not wanting a pipeline to run straight through the heart of metro Vancouver. It really didn't work. Nobody gave a shit, lol. People in BC simply decided to start buying more BC wines themselves. If anything, it helped the BC wine industry, haha.
    Yes, I know she wanted a booze war with BC, wasn't she threatening to turn the oil and gas off as well?  The pipeline through BC from what I can see is a bad idea before it gets to Vancouver the pipeline has to go through the mountains, am I correct?  Notley just seems immature.  She thinks Alberta is the only province struggling.  Most of the east coast provinces struggle, Ontario has struggled with the loss of thousands and thousands of jobs that paid $22/hour and up with pensions to be replaced with McJobs...
    Give Peas A Chance…