Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    post millenial? Trudeau is Gen X. and as a fellow Gen Xer, I guess I'll have to say this till I'm blue in the face: I DIDN'T KNOW BLACKFACE WAS A PROBLEM EITHER. I have spoken to many people about this, and some say they knew, many others also didn't. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,168
    I guess for me, it's the I couldn't give 2 craps about the SNC Lavalin thing.  They bribed officials in a 3rd world country?  I kind of thought that's how you do business... lol.. didn't really big me they tried to keep it on the down lo..

The We thing though.... lol.. Funding a private organization to the tune of 1b that pays and has relations with your immediate family.. lol.

he just stumbles into these weird, stupid things.... lol.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Let’s get this right

4th wave starting
    BC fires
    Afghan crisis

and Mr blackface the misogynist called an election.  What a fucking narcissist.

Vote the asshole out…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Let’s get this right

4th wave starting
    BC fires
    Afghan crisis

and Mr blackface the misogynist called an election.  What a fucking narcissist.

Vote the asshole out…

I don't think it really matters.  The other choices aren't great either.   lol.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    ABC again this year.
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    post millenial? Trudeau is Gen X. and as a fellow Gen Xer, I guess I'll have to say this till I'm blue in the face: I DIDN'T KNOW BLACKFACE WAS A PROBLEM EITHER. I have spoken to many people about this, and some say they knew, many others also didn't. 
    Apparently I need to further explain, even though the emPHAsis was on the admitted coverup and blackface not really being the point of my post.

Hugh, I know nothing of your (or anyone else here’s) education and maybe vague ideas of people’s interests, hence I don’t blame anyone for not being aware of blackface’s offence 20 years ago. Personally, I knew because I enjoyed Shakespeare outside of the bit we learned in high school and it was through Othello (I believe) that I learned about how the practice had become at best questionable with it’s historical connotations. This was in the mid- to late-90s and it’s not like I studied (I presume) and taught drama (however briefly) and Trudeau’s last (known) incident was as a grown man in a position of authority.

As far as his high school incidents I do question where the adults were (although they may not have wanted to say no to PET’s kid).

By his own admission at some point he recognized it was wrong (or at least that it would look bad) and then proceeded to begin actively hiding it from everyone it seems, his party, the general public. I wonder how far the coverup went and I think that’s a valid question. Letting it be an issue for 2-3 days then dropping it (while the CPC had to daily reiterate that the abortion and same sex debates were settled) wasn’t enough. This speaks to his integrity as well as his cluelessness/lack of judgment which should dog him as long as he’s in politics.

Don’t forget, the Globe & Mail were liars until he couldn’t deny it. It’s a pattern and one of many reasons why he has come to represent everything wrong with politics. A narcissistic egomaniac who vilifies his opponents while claiming persecution, doesn’t respect the rule of law and will do his damndest to avoid any and all accountability. Sound familiar?

I’d left my previous post not as an indictment of anyone but myself and an example of how I had a problem. Unfortunately just as I acknowledged the problem and started working on it, Trudeau goes and calls an election meaning he’ll be front and centre daily on any Canadian newscast I watch.

So to all who were offended by my previous post I apologize and I hope my clarification here satisfies. I really hadn’t intended on returning to this thread for a bit to be honest so that I wouldn’t go too far.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    why would anyone be offended by that post? I wasn't, I just think this issue is dead. but his haters keep harping on it. 

did he do it while in office: nope
    was it illegal? nope
    was it poor judgement? yes, but only if he knew the history of it. and let's be clear here: just because you or anyone knew about it, is no proof he did. 

for the record, I don't know what I'm going to do this time around. I voted for JT both times (I was going to vote Jagmeet last time, but he turned me off during the debates), I don't know if I can a third time, but not because of some stupid distraction like blackface. because he has failed on many fronts policy-wise. 

I don't trust the NDP after the fiscal/infrastructural disaster they were in my province. And I'll never vote O'Toole. Like, EH-VER. I've voted con in the past, but the last two clowns they put up: no chance. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Let’s turn this she session into a she recovery…

lmfao

the most division pm ever…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    the most "division" pm ever? 

vowing to bring women back to the workforce since they were disproportionately affected during the pandemic is divisive?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Progressive Conservatives will form next Nova Scotia government

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/election-campaign-liberals-ndp-pc-1.6144162

Good.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Progressive Conservatives will form next Nova Scotia government

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/election-campaign-liberals-ndp-pc-1.6144162

Good.  

lol..read about the first half the article about how they pretty much won on a campaign focused on health care.   Not sure anyone can actually fix that one.
  • Options
    People wait up to 3 hours for an ambulance in NS.  They better fix that…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Watching the results roll in from Nova Scotia…

how come shithead keeps bringing up abortion?  Does he want to re-open the abortion debate?  What a divisive nimrod.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    You gotta love the shit for brain PM.  He rejects Saskatchewan’s plan for carbon tax which is identical to NB.

Nimrod is the most divisive PM ever.

Send this clown back to being a ski instructor…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited August 2021

I was more or less disparaging it, because it's a problem across the whole country.   Here in BC you can't get a GP, the Walking Clinics are overrun.  If you don't show up before it opens and get in line, you're probably not going to see a Doctor that day.   The only real thing people can do is to to emergency at the hospital and spend 5 hours trying to see a Doctor.   The only other option is to use one of the various apps that let you consult a Doctor via videochat (which can work amazingly well for things like renewing a prescription) but other than health care is pretty rough here.

I'm not sure this is something fixable.  It probably needs a few things.  The first is that many Doctor's only want to be Doctor's.  GP's here have to run their own clinic.  People going to med school don't want to deal with that.  Their choosing careers where they get a salary and benefits and don't have to run their own business.  When you factor all the expenses of running a business you make more choosing a career that pays a salary with benefits.  I think if the government want to solve the Doctor issue, they would need create their own government run clinics and change how they pay.  All of which would cost the government more money.   Money they probably don't have to spend.   Ergo I doubt any goverment in our country is going to figure that one out.

We've had massive immigration the past 15 or 20 years, but we haven't scaled up the Doctors with it, so there's an overall Doctor shortage.

It's only going to get worse.  The oldest boomers are only just getting to the age where they need a lot more health car, but it's got a 20 year tail on it.  As the population hump ages into health care it's going to get worse and worse :(  No matter what the government does, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep up with it.   IE any thing they do to try and change it probably won't keep pace with the demand :(
  • Options
    Health Care. Climate. Small Business Pandemic recovery. that's it. that's all I care about right now. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Zod said:

I was more or less disparaging it, because it's a problem across the whole country.   Here in BC you can't get a GP, the Walking Clinics are overrun.  If you don't show up before it opens and get in line, you're probably not going to see a Doctor that day.   The only real thing people can do is to to emergency at the hospital and spend 5 hours trying to see a Doctor.   The only other option is to use one of the various apps that let you consult a Doctor via videochat (which can work amazingly well for things like renewing a prescription) but other than health care is pretty rough here.

I'm not sure this is something fixable.  It probably needs a few things.  The first is that many Doctor's only want to be Doctor's.  GP's here have to run their own clinic.  People going to med school don't want to deal with that.  Their choosing careers where they get a salary and benefits and don't have to run their own business.  When you factor all the expenses of running a business you make more choosing a career that pays a salary with benefits.  I think if the government want to solve the Doctor issue, they would need create their own government run clinics and change how they pay.  All of which would cost the government more money.   Money they probably don't have to spend.   Ergo I doubt any goverment in our country is going to figure that one out.

We've had massive immigration the past 15 or 20 years, but we haven't scaled up the Doctors with it, so there's an overall Doctor shortage.

It's only going to get worse.  The oldest boomers are only just getting to the age where they need a lot more health car, but it's got a 20 year tail on it.  As the population hump ages into health care it's going to get worse and worse :(  No matter what the government does, I'm not sure they'll be able to keep up with it.   IE any thing they do to try and change it probably won't keep pace with the demand :(
    Wow.  I did not realize healthcare was that bad in BC.  The problem is that healthcare is chronically underfunded…

Remember when healthcare came into existence the feds contributed .35 cents of healthcare dollar, now it’s down to .22 cents.  Currently the liberals (taxpayers) are borrowing or plan to borrow up to 127 billion to pay for daycare and child benefit welfare…lmfao…yet these nimrods have no money for healthcare.

why the fuck should my senior dad and I and other taxpayers fund your lifestyle choices.  If you can’t afford kids, don’t have them…

the only people that should get childcare help is the poor and working poor.  

And if Trudeau really cared about the environment then I would think encouraging people to breed and bringing in refugees that make breeding an Olympic sport…

As far as the feds go when it comes to healthcare, it’s a fuck you.

and those provinces that sign onto that daycare bs will see their healthcare get worse…

they’ve just signed up for another program the feds will bail on…just like healthcare.

you’ll now have 2 huge social programs that will be underfunded…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    breeding as an olympic sport.
    hmmm.
    further evidence the stereotype is bullshit. nice.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Zod said:

Wow.  I did not realize healthcare was that bad in BC.  The problem is that healthcare is chronically underfunded…

Remember when healthcare came into existence the feds contributed .35 cents of healthcare dollar, now it’s down to .22 cents.  Currently the liberals (taxpayers) are borrowing or plan to borrow up to 127 billion to pay for daycare and child benefit welfare…lmfao…yet these nimrods have no money for healthcare.

why the fuck should my senior dad and I and other taxpayers fund your lifestyle choices.  If you can’t afford kids, don’t have them…

And if Trudeau really cared about the environment then I would think encouraging people to breed and bringing in refugees that make breeding an Olympic sport…

and those provinces that sign onto that daycare bs will see their healthcare get worse…

they’ve just signed up for another program the feds will bail on…just like healthcare.

yet another example that you have zero clue how the economy works. 

and your "olympic sport" comment is pure fucking bigotry. it's disgusting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    N.S. Tories make pandemic, health care top priorities as power transition begins (msn.com)

Houston also repeated his campaign promise that his party will improve the health system, including by increasing the number of doctors and shortening surgery wait times.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Zod said:

Very interesting information (while saddening), things aren’t much better here in Ontario. Over time I’ve come to realize how fortunate I am to have had the same family doctor since moving to Toronto in 1980, and am wary of what will happen when he retires.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Zod said:

Technically under the constitution Health Care is a provincial expense.  It's optional for the Feds to contribute to it.   I'm not really sure how the Feds pitching it started, but it definitely became something depended on.  That being said I believe we had programs up until around the Cretien government (that might of been started under the Trudeau government?) of 50/50 matching for various social programs.  The problem is that spending spiraled out of control.    Whatever the provinces were spending, the feds were matching, and we had those big deficits in the 80s and early 90s.  The federal government capped what they spend on health care to get the expenses under control.

I completely agree with you on your 2nd point. I have no idea why we're trying to create new social programs when the existing ones are struggling so much.   For me, it's more important to focus on fixing existing programs before starting new ones.

All I really want is a government that wants to focus on the environment and try to fix existing programs (aka Health Care).  I cringe any time we're getting promised above and beyond that :(

• Options
    because a child care program would, over time, pay for itself by getting people, particularly women, back in the work force, buying stuff, paying taxes, etc. it's not the same as health care. 

the more people working, the better the economy for all. this is not a debatable point. 

if anything, it will HELP to pay for other social programs like health care. 

saying "if you can't afford kids don't have any" is incredibly simple minded in this day and age, yet unsurprising. the people who can afford to have kids and stay home is shrinking; the cost of living has far surpassed wage increases; this isn't the 60's, and no amount of whining about it will make it so. it simply isn't possible for the vast majority of families to be a single income. shit, it's not possible for most CHILDLESS COUPLES to live comfortably on a single income. 

this way of thinking is so draconian. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Zod said:
    Zod said:

Technically under the constitution Health Care is a provincial expense.  It's optional for the Feds to contribute to it.   I'm not really sure how the Feds pitching it started, but it definitely became something depended on.  That being said I believe we had programs up until around the Cretien government (that might of been started under the Trudeau government?) of 50/50 matching for various social programs.  The problem is that spending spiraled out of control.    Whatever the provinces were spending, the feds were matching, and we had those big deficits in the 80s and early 90s.  The federal government capped what they spend on health care to get the expenses under control.

I completely agree with you on your 2nd point. I have no idea why we're trying to create new social programs when the existing ones are struggling so much.   For me, it's more important to focus on fixing existing programs before starting new ones.

All I really want is a government that wants to focus on the environment and try to fix existing programs (aka Health Care).  I cringe any time we're getting promised above and beyond that :(

Healthcare needs to be fixed.  That’s a given.  

The feds have always been partners in healthcare.  Paul Martin had an agreement with the provinces to increase health transfer 6% a year.

I see no reason why that type of agreement could not apply today?

I’m fortunate to have a good family doc.  But he is approaching 80…no joke.  

But as for elective surgery that can be 6 months or more.

one thing is evident…Trudeau has made it hard on any future government with his out of control spending…

He said on the campaign trail that he does “not think about monetary policy’,”…really, could have fooled me.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited August 2021
    Zod said:

This is actually not at all my experience with healthcare in BC.... I think it must also very much depend on what city you live in or something. Yes, there is a pronounced lack of family GPs Canada-wide for sure (especially female GPs, since all women want a female doctor), but I actually have no problems at all seeing the same docs at a walk-in clinic - it is basically just as good as having a family doctor. Especially now that they do appointments by phone, and then just ask you to come in by appointment if your issue calls for it. And I have only ever received excellent care once I have needed to see specialists in hospitals, or need scans, etc. I never wait long, the quality of care is exceptional. And I have noticed real improvements coming from the BC NDP. They've really stepped up so far, and still have a lot more planned (including increasing the number of family doctors).

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Gotta give Trudeau credit for making me stronger, it used to take 3 trips to carry in $200 in groceries, I can now do it in a trip.  And thanks to Trudeau the gas station attendant and I have become good friends since I’m at the station more than usual. Some positives Trudeau has helped me…I’m just a liberal tax cow…mooooow.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Zod said:

You're not correct in your reasons for the shortage of physicians in Canada. It isn't related to the business model for medical clinics, and it isn't a short term issue that can be solved by the federal or provincial governments. There are many, many more applicants for medical school than there are spots, and current practice models are not turning people off. 

The physician shortage has a few major causes, most of which are the result of deliberate policy changes starting in the '80s but which were really implemented in the '90s. Due to a combination of poor projection of future need for physician services and a wish to limit future health care expenditures by reducing the ease of access to physicians, medical school enrollment was deliberately reduced by 10% starting in 1997 onward, on top of an earlier reduction that some provinces undertook in the late 1980s. Inaccurate modelling at the time suggested that if no changes were made there would be a physician surplus, and the fear was that physicians would bill unnecessary services and procedures in order to make a living. So, fewer students were admitted to medical schools, fewer graduated and went on to residency training, and fewer ended up in practice. Taken in conjunction with changes in residency training which led to the elimination of the rotating internship and institution of formal residency training for family doctors, and reduction in acceptance of international medical graduates (again, due to fears of oversupply), and you end up with the situation we have now.

There has been some increase in medical school spots over the years since, but not enough to alter the outcome. In any case, any increase in funding will take more than a decade to produce more licensed doctors, given the time involved in expanding spots at medical schools (which involves recruiting more teaching staff, getting more space, etc.), expanding the residency training spots, expanding the examination process, etc. 

It's not an easy problem to fix, and try as one might, it can't be laid at the feet of the current Liberal government :lol: . Establishing clinics for doctors to work in conjunction with other health professionals like nurse practitioners and RNs can help to spread the load and improve care, but the pandemic has kicked the butt of other health professions as well, with so many nurses leaving practice that every day we face nursing shortages and have to scramble to cover even basic staffing of hospital wards and long term care facilities.

As someone who works in health care and sees the impact of medication cost on people every day, I am in favour of a national prescription drug plan. I see it as separate from the physician shortage and important in its own right. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf