Options

Canadian Politics Redux

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    Canada needs to negotiate the 2 Micheals release by returning Meng back to China?  And give Biden and the US the finger while doing it.  The US doesn’t respect other countries so why should we cooperate with those assholes…

Skippy actually thought senile old biden would help…Biden can barely remember his own name.
    someone doesn't understand international relations one single bit. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Rumour is a possible election call will be coming Sunday…only these corrupt bastards want an election while Covid is starting to surge…lmfao.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,151

Rumour is a possible election call will be coming Sunday…only these corrupt bastards want an election while Covid is starting to surge…lmfao.

I don't get why.  It doesn't feel like any party has enough support to form a majority.  Probably end up with a similar result as the last one.
  • Options

Canadian Michael Spavor sentenced to 11 years in Chinese prison for espionage

https://globalnews.ca/news/8101764/michael-spavor-china-guilty-verdict/

I wonder if he’ll get to vote while living in that Chinese hell hole…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Zod said:

I don't get why.  It doesn't feel like any party has enough support to form a majority.  Probably end up with a similar result as the last one.
    Still no election call, but it’s coming.  Trudeau is the only one that wants an election…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    well of course he's the only one. cuz the other two know at this point they have zero chance of winning. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    At this point I think I'm disenfranchised with both provincial and federal governments.  I've only voted green once before, because it feels like their a disorganized dysfunctional party without much of a platform, but I think they're going to become my fuck you vote.   Especially after the Liberals double downed yesterday on the only way to solve the climate crisis to sell more oil through the pipeline expansion.. sigh...
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Zod said:
    At this point I think I'm disenfranchised with both provincial and federal governments.  I've only voted green once before, because it feels like their a disorganized dysfunctional party without much of a platform, but I think they're going to become my fuck you vote.   Especially after the Liberals double downed yesterday on the only way to solve the climate crisis to sell more oil through the pipeline expansion.. sigh...
    I was a Green Party member many moons ago and can confirm... disorganized and dysfunctional.  

That said... yeah we're in a real bad spot as Canadians.  My 'fuck you' vote is still going to be for Trudeau. And it's honestly still only because of the fellow at the gas station with the "Fuck Trudeau" t-shirt and decals all over his car and the anti-trudeau graffiti all over the 401. 

Just listened to the foreign minister's presser about the two Michaels in China and like..  am I happy? No.  Do I think any other politician in Canada right now would be able to make me happy? No.  Are we ever going to get honesty? No.   Just the nature of our shit sandwich. 

When the election gets called...  I honestly think the results will be almost identical to the last election.  Minority liberal government. Again. 

That said....... who knows what can happen during a campaign... but it's likely going to be more silly bickering and attack ads all over the place. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    Rumour has it... election on September 20th.  
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Trudeau for Supreme Emperor! LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,498
    Trudeau for Supreme Emperor! LOL
    Where is Jar Jar when you need him?
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Yeah,  let's have an unnecessary election as the country enters/is into the fourth wave of covid (but it's a pandemic of the unvaccinated, so shall we also suspend their right to vote in person?). I couldn't have asked for clearer proof Emperor Trudeau doesn't care about the citizens he's supposed to be serving. 

Wading into a crowded room with a bulletproof vest under his shirt while not informing the attendees of the threat is another example that jumps to mind. 

Have those 2 jets fueled up for Monday!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    Yeah,  let's have an unnecessary election as the country enters/is into the fourth wave of covid (but it's a pandemic of the unvaccinated, so shall we also suspend their right to vote in person?). I couldn't have asked for clearer proof Emperor Trudeau doesn't care about the citizens he's supposed to be serving. 

Wading into a crowded room with a bulletproof vest under his shirt while not informing the attendees of the threat is another example that jumps to mind. 

Yup.  Another wasted 300 billion.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I assume that was a typo, lol, I believe elections are $300 million, still a waste in this case. Too bad we couldn’t hand the Liberal Party the bill if we end up in the same place.

I just can’t honestly believe the Prime Minister of Canada is considering an unneeded election during the fourth wave in a global pandemic. He has proven himself a clear and present danger (to use American terminology) to Canadian lives. Unless he smartens up before Sunday.

I will gain a huge amount of respect for the new Governor General if she refuses Trudeau in light of Singh’s letter to her where he pledged to support the government to avoid a pandemic election.

• Options

I assume that was a typo, lol, I believe elections are $300 million, still a waste in this case. Too bad we couldn’t hand the Liberal Party the bill if we end up in the same place.

I just can’t honestly believe the Prime Minister of Canada is considering an unneeded election during the fourth wave in a global pandemic. He has proven himself a clear and present danger (to use American terminology) to Canadian lives. Unless he smartens up before Sunday.

I will gain a huge amount of respect for the new Governor General if she refuses Trudeau in light of Singh’s letter to her where he pledged to support the government to avoid a pandemic election.
    My bad, 300 million…I get confused with Trudeau, usually he cost us billions…lol

I see no need for an election…especially since where in a 4th wave.  Just being opportunist.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    If the election happens I'm definitely spite voting from the Green Party.

Feels like a complete waste of time and money.  There's been no vote of no confidence.  The NDP have been propping up the Liberals.   None of the leaders seem quality enough to get a majority.  It's going to be minority governments for a while unless they can find someone better.

wtf?   I remember Cretien used to pull that shit with elections after 3 years, but it was usually a slam dunk when he did it.   At least it looks like a clever move.  Trudeau is doing it with a pretty solid chance that nothing changes.  I'd almost take O'Toole in charge for a term, just to get Trudeau ousted for calling an unnecessary election.
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    edited August 2021
    The Libs and Cons have been swapping running the country since confederation. I am thinking of giving the NDP my spite vote, give them a chance as a minority to see if they don’t mess up too badly 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    Good point about the liberals and conservatives.  I am on the fence...but am leaning NDP.

I like their platform of adding dental care and pharma care...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Generally my issue with the NDP is that they all the seem to want to do is introduce new programs and increase spending.   My issue with that is our debt is getting pretty big, we have the looming Baby Boomer problem, and our health care is getting worse every year.    Fix health care, then think about adding new programs.  No new programs until I have an f'ing doctor.

That being said, the Libs are spending money at crazy rates.  It made sense at the beginning of the pandemic.. but maybe they shouldn't of been so fast and loose with it this deep into the pandemic.

The Cons are supposed to be the financially responsible party, but generally they cut taxes without cutting programs, so they find their own ways to deficits.  I think in the last 40 years during the times they were in power they had 1 year in surplus.   Harper just kissed a surplus by selling off GM shares Canada bought at the beginning of the pandemic Crisis.

And now Harper doesn't even seem like he was that bad.. lol.    I never voted for him, but if he was running for the Cons instead of O'Toole, I'd bet he'd win.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Generally my issue with the NDP is that they all the seem to want to do is introduce new programs and increase spending.   My issue with that is our debt is getting pretty big, we have the looming Baby Boomer problem, and our health care is getting worse every year.    Fix health care, then think about adding new programs.  No new programs until I have an f'ing doctor.

That being said, the Libs are spending money at crazy rates.  It made sense at the beginning of the pandemic.. but maybe they shouldn't of been so fast and loose with it this deep into the pandemic.

The Cons are supposed to be the financially responsible party, but generally they cut taxes without cutting programs, so they find their own ways to deficits.  I think in the last 40 years during the times they were in power they had 1 year in surplus.   Harper just kissed a surplus by selling off GM shares Canada bought at the beginning of the pandemic Crisis.

And now Harper doesn't even seem like he was that bad.. lol.    I never voted for him, but if he was running for the Cons instead of O'Toole, I'd bet he'd win.
    exactly why I voted conservative provincially the last two elections. Our last NDP leader, Greg Selinger, spent our province into oblivion, and he got obliterated at the polls for it. Pallister was on track to actually balance the budget before covid hit. But now he's stepping down to make way for a new leader of the party/premier (which I find odd; if the premier steps down, shouldn't there be an election, not just an appointment?). The front runner is this woman who is a DISASTER for families. The liberals have never been in power in my province, but I don't want to give the reigns back to the NDP unless there's spending changes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Zod said:

Do you worry about the potential NDP spending?  I think the current liberals will be the all-time record holder for most debt accumulated.  But I certainly understand...Since 1966 Chretien/Martin ran 11 straight surpluses and Harper 1, that's it...and the liberal duo accumulated quite a large surplus for an emergency that harper went and spent it and then ran massive debts...

I certainly understand wanting healthcare to be quality and for everyone to have a doctor.  Personally. I think if the feds contributed 35% to to every health care dollar then we could have some form of pharma care/dental care.  Initially they could cap it for people under a certain income bracket.  When healthcare was set up the feds contributed 35%, now it's 22%.   The feds have all kinds of money for their pet projects but a big fuck you to the taxpayers who need healthcare services.  Healthcare services should be our number 1 priority.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Feds win battle for privacy of serial killer Paul Bernardo and cop killer Craig Munro over victims' families' requests

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/feds-fight-for-privacy-of-serial-killer-paul-bernardo-and-cop-killer-craig-munro-over-victims-families-requests

“They talk about the privacy interests of these guys, but these are notorious crimes, they’re public crimes. There’s nothing private about this,” said Tim Danson, a Toronto lawyer representing the families of the victims and the Toronto Police Association.

“In my view, when people convicted of first-degree murder apply for parole and are asking to be relieved from the consequences of their life sentence and their criminal acts to be released into the public, they waive their privacy rights.”

This is Canada.  Criminals have more rights than victims.  Both Paul Bernardo and Karla Homolka should have been excuted.  They are the scum of the earth and the she devil walks free somewhere in Quebec.

Shame on any landlord or business that takes money from that evil bitch…

And good old Paul thinks he deserves freedom…lol
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Look he’s bringing Canada’s biggest gold digger his wife.  Who the fuck are these clowns trying to kid with this sham marriage…she like the lifestyle Canadian taxpayers keep her in…well she is from Quebec…

How many Nannie’s does this gold digger have now?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Looks like it's official now.

I really do feel like all 3 major parties kind of suck.   You've got O'Toole which basically reflects only the needs and beliefs of the prairies.  Trudeau who seems to make a fair number of mistakes and is spending the country into massive debts.  NDP who also went to spend a whole bunch more and bring in new social programs when our existing ones are falling apart.

At this point, all I want is another minority government so if any of these parties get voted in they don't have roughshot for the next 4-5 years.

My riding is Elizabeth May's riding, which I think she still runs even though she doesn't lead the greens.  It makes it an easy vote because she always wins here.  If she doesn't run, that's going to be interesting....
  • Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    I agree with you

I have a federal minister in my riding, so their seat is pretty safe. But, I also don’t think this election is necessary and believe Trudeau needs to be replaced as leader. (Too many mistakes)
    it is always interesting if your vote is “wasted” or not.
    do you vote for the best person for your riding, or one that has a chance of being in a ruling party?
    I have voted both strategies in the past and for the Libs, NDP and Green.
    personally I think Singh is the most “human” personable person if that makes any sense. Yes, they (NDP) want to increase spending, but I have to believe they have people in the party that realize they will also have to cut other things for their wishes and balance things. I am willing to give them a chance in a minority position, Libs and Cons have had more than enough chances 
    So I guess I am leaning to the NDP right now, but we will see what the campaign brings
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    Sometimes I vote for the party I actually want, sometimes it's strategic, and sometime's it's an F U vote.

I'm leaning towards the greens this time around.  None of the other parties align with what I want, but I do get the feeling of impending doom from environmental issues.  The Liberals double downing on the only way to make our country cleaner is to twin the pipeline and sell more oil.  WTF?

All in all I think it's mostly moot where I live.  The Libs don't get many seats on the Island.  We tend to lean left.  Usually lots of NDP wins with the odd Cons or Lib seat.  My riding has been green for who knows how many elections in a row.  May will win her seat again.. lol.
  • Options
    Maybe all the “strategic voters” who only wanted to nullify my Conservative vote can get their act together and deny Trudeau his majority. Remember Darth Harper? Well he ain’t got nothing on Emperor Trudeau!

Seriously though, I implore everyone to vote for what you believe in, not just against something.

• Options
    Maybe all the “strategic voters” who only wanted to nullify my Conservative vote can get their act together and deny Trudeau his majority. Remember Darth Harper? Well he ain’t got nothing on Emperor Trudeau!

Seriously though, I implore everyone to vote for what you believe in, not just against something.

Except, I don't think people that are anti-conservative are going to vote conservative, so you still get a vote split between the ndp and libs.

Hence another minority government.  Even if people vote for who they want it's a similar outcome.  Those who love the cons vote for the cons, and those who don't split their votes...

In all reality I'm not sure it matters anymore.. it's like choosing between a giant douche and a turd (to quote South Park).
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,764
    Zod said:

Except, I don't think people that are anti-conservative are going to vote conservative, so you still get a vote split between the ndp and libs.

Hence another minority government.  Even if people vote for who they want it's a similar outcome.  Those who love the cons vote for the cons, and those who don't split their votes...

In all reality I'm not sure it matters anymore.. it's like choosing between a giant douche and a turd (to quote South Park).

if only there was some one that appealed to everyone. like a giant turd douche
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I was about to post something about cbc’s “coverage” of the election and realized that, thanks to Trudeau’s bald-faced lying and anti-democratic (or at least anti-accountability) tendencies, mixed with wide acceptance of his begaviours (seriously, who, as a post-millennial adult thought blackface was acceptable? AND HE ADMITS HE HID IT FROM EVERYONE!).

Christ, there I go, trying to say I find myself unable to post rationally about anything remotely connected to Trudeau and I go ahead and do it.

Several weeks ago I was able to recognize I had problems with Dear Leader that I needed to address. When I tried talking with my brother about it he did ask me a valid question that gave me pause: do I have a Trudeau problem or a Liberal problem? I really don’t have a problem with the Liberal Party of Canada (even if it would take a lot for me to vote for them, lol), but I now (after 6 years, bear in mind) have zero respect for the Justin Trudeau “Liberal” Party (that tries to out-NDP the NDP, now that IS Liberal, lol).

If one good thing has come out of this it’s that I have gained sympathy for the anti-Trump crowd’s feelings (I still maintain Trudeau’s just the “progressive” side of the coin to Trump’s “conservative” side but get laughed out of the room when I suggest it).

So in closing I do want to wish everyone of every political well and stay safe during our COVID campaign.

And I’ll beg you all again to find something/someone to vote FOR, not just against. Abstention from voting is a perfectly acceptable option in my mind (despite the assertion of some that doing so gives up one’s right to complain for 4 years, lol).