Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

I think we can safely assume that Maryam Monsef knows more about Afghanistan than you do, given that her family is Afghani. 

Context is everything. Would you care to post the full text of what she said, rather than two words? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    A reasonable person sees this Maryam situation and thinks... "Hmm... I'm gonna see what this is about and what she meant."

Some people (ahem) sees this Maryam situation and capitalizes on it by posting fantastical misleading propaganda about it. 

If I thought after watching the entire statement and after her being questioned about it that she sympathizes with the Taliban... I would be right there condemning her.  She doesn't. 
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Breaking news.  The Taliban have appointed Omar Kadr as their brother and Ambassador  to Canada.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    Parksy said:
    A reasonable person sees this Maryam situation and thinks... "Hmm... I'm gonna see what this is about and what she meant."

Some people (ahem) sees this Maryam situation and capitalizes on it by posting fantastical misleading propaganda about it. 

If I thought after watching the entire statement and after her being questioned about it that she sympathizes with the Taliban... I would be right there condemning her.  She doesn't. 

"some people" doing this exact thing after recently bitching about edited statements and the like.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819

more bluster about abso-fucking-lutely nothing. stop spreading misinformation.  
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Parksy said:

100%. critical thinking isn't for all of us, apparently. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erebuserebus Posts: 549
    What does everyone think of the campaign protesters?
    I am not a JT fan, but things are getting ridiculous. I’m all for people's right to protest but do it in a respectful manner. Does not make me want to support the party these people are representing(if they even are) 
    society in general is changing for the worst unfortunately 
    1996: Toronto
    2003: St. Paul
    2005: Thunder Bay
    2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa
    2009: Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010: Boston
    2011: Toronto I, Toronto II, Winnipeg
    2012: Missoula
    2013: London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014: St. Paul, Milwaukee
    2016: Quebec City, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II
    2022: Hamilton, Toronto 
    2023: St. Paul I, St. Paul II
  • Options
    Side note:
    I believe the PPC should also be in the official debates or they and the Greens should both not be allowed. The threshold is so low and the Greens have very little support also.
    I’m just mad still that JT broke his promise on election reform and rep by pop. Voting
    oh well, politics

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,113
    erebus said:
    I am not a JT fan, but things are getting ridiculous. I’m all for people's right to protest but do it in a respectful manner. Does not make me want to support the party these people are representing(if they even are) 

I dunno.  I'm always hesitate when people say protesting is ok, but you have to do it over there where no on can see you, and be peaceful and calm while you do it.  I'm not sure how effective that kind of protesting really is.  Usually being over the top with protesting is what gets you noticed, media coverage, and sometimes results in change.

I do feel the left/right divide is here in Canada, it's just slanted way more to the left here than in the US.  I always find it a struggle because I'm in the middle, where the Liberals used to be, but no longer are.

All the protesters, wanting people to elect someone other than Trudeau, when all the options aren't great.  Like voting for O'Toole or Singh is really going to fix anything lol.   Unable to comprehend the concept that it's possible all the options are shitty.. lol.

I do think it's a little funny though.

I'm not actually sure what Trudeau has done with his time in power.   Mostly it's been spend.  The two biggest things he did in the pandemic where spend and acquire vaccines.  Both of which he did a pretty good job at (and which I found equally entertaining where in the fall of 2020, people bitched he ordered to many, and then in the spring of 2021 people bitched we weren't getting enough fast enough.. lol).  He spends like there's no tomorrow.. still paying out the whatever the new cerb is called, while in many places there are worker shortages.

I feel like the provinces themselves had more to do with covid19 than the federal government. That's where masking/lockdown/guidance/restrictions all came from.  The provinces managing it on their own.

I dunno... I feel like this is the exact same as the last election.  Why are we having an election again?

There's definitely a party of me that wants to see Trudeau lose just because he was smug and called an unnecessary election, assuming he'd get a majority.. sigh..

• Options
    Zod said:
    erebus said:

I dunno.  I'm always hesitate when people say protesting is ok, but you have to do it over there where no on can see you, and be peaceful and calm while you do it.  I'm not sure how effective that kind of protesting really is.  Usually being over the top with protesting is what gets you noticed, media coverage, and sometimes results in change.

I do feel the left/right divide is here in Canada, it's just slanted way more to the left here than in the US.  I always find it a struggle because I'm in the middle, where the Liberals used to be, but no longer are.

All the protesters, wanting people to elect someone other than Trudeau, when all the options aren't great.  Like voting for O'Toole or Singh is really going to fix anything lol.   Unable to comprehend the concept that it's possible all the options are shitty.. lol.

I do think it's a little funny though.

I'm not actually sure what Trudeau has done with his time in power.   Mostly it's been spend.  The two biggest things he did in the pandemic where spend and acquire vaccines.  Both of which he did a pretty good job at (and which I found equally entertaining where in the fall of 2020, people bitched he ordered to many, and then in the spring of 2021 people bitched we weren't getting enough fast enough.. lol).  He spends like there's no tomorrow.. still paying out the whatever the new cerb is called, while in many places there are worker shortages.

I feel like the provinces themselves had more to do with covid19 than the federal government. That's where masking/lockdown/guidance/restrictions all came from.  The provinces managing it on their own.

I dunno... I feel like this is the exact same as the last election.  Why are we having an election again?

There's definitely a party of me that wants to see Trudeau lose just because he was smug and called an unnecessary election, assuming he'd get a majority.. sigh..

he legalized cannabis for one. of course, a lot of people don't see that as a big issue, but in the age of fentanyl killing people, I was thrilled. 

I am with you though, I'd have to look to actually recall what he has done. 

I do think he was a good leader during the pandemic. And besides acquiring vaccines, which he did, most of the direction should, in my opinion, come from the provinces. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    edited August 2021
    He legalized doctor assisted suicide. He admittedly backed off on the veracity of the laws to satiate the right to ensure it happened at all, but he got the ball rolling and the doors are now wide open for death with dignity to properly evolve in Canada. For that alone, I will always appreciate Trudeau a lot. For me, that is the biggest thing, although I agree legalizing weed was also a big deal. And that big push to get all those Syrian refugees in during a crisis was also impressive. And yes, he handled the pandemic well, and also really did improve gender and ethnic equality in federal government. 
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    He legalized doctor assisted suicide. He admottedly backed off on the veracity of the laws to satiate the right, but he still got the ball rolling and the doors are now wide open for death with dignity to properly evolve in Canada. For that alone, I will always appreciate Trudeau a lot. For me, that is the biggest thing, although I agree legalizing weed was also a big deal. And that big push to get all those Syrian refugees in during a crisis was also impressive. 
    agreed. 

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know he legalized doctor assisted suicide. yikes. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    He legalized doctor assisted suicide. He admittedly backed off on the veracity of the laws to satiate the right to ensure it happened at all, but he got the ball rolling and the doors are now wide open for death with dignity to properly evolve in Canada. For that alone, I will always appreciate Trudeau a lot. For me, that is the biggest thing, although I agree legalizing weed was also a big deal. And that big push to get all those Syrian refugees in during a crisis was also impressive. And yes, he handled the pandemic well, and also really did improve gender and ethnic equality in federal government. 

I forgot about the doctor assisted suicide thing.   Watching what my grandparents are going through, it's that that it might be an option when I get older.

I also forgot about the weed.   I dunno.  It seems more regulated to me than when it was illegal lol.  I guess it's a step in not putting people associated with it in jail.
  • Options
    A quick google search will confirm that prime ministers going back to Mulroney who sat for a while faced protest, Chrétien even tried to choke a protestor and fended off an intruder with an Inuit art piece.

Weed is heavily regulated not legal.  If it were legal then I could but my weed off who I choose.  I still do, I just risk being fined?  I get my  weed off a dealer or the reservation…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

Technically it's legal, but I agree with Meltdown99, it's heavily regulated.   Here in BC we often make fun of it being legalized, because there's so much more rule, regulations, and enforcement than when it was outright illegal.. lol.
  • Options
    Zod said:

Technically it's legal, but I agree with Meltdown99, it's heavily regulated.   Here in BC we often make fun of it being legalized, because there's so much more rule, regulations, and enforcement than when it was outright illegal.. lol.
    regulated does not mean illegal. almost everything is regulated to some degree. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    erebus said:
    The 'protestors' I saw were despicable. And I can understand people being upset and acting dumb... but I was seeing this being done in front of children and some children joining in.  Reminds me way too much of Trump supporters to be honest. 

The other thing I loathe about these anti-Trudeau folk is their lack of intelligence.  They blame Trudeau for things that Ford was responsible for.  If you're gonna chirp the guy, make sure the chirp makes sense. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    Zod said:

100% 

Legal and regulated are two different things. 

I'm trying to think of anything that happens outside of my home.. and some things inside my home... that are not regulated one way or another by some level of government. 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,703
    Parksy said:
    Zod said:

100% 

I'm trying to think of anything that happens outside of my home.. and some things inside my home... that are not regulated one way or another by some level of government. 

farting? or is that seen as an environmental hazard?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Parksy said:
    Zod said:

100% 

Give it 2 years.  lol 
    Toronto 2000
    Boston I&II 2004
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Parksy said:
    Zod said:

100% 

Actually, cows farting are an issue.  Because so much of our diet comes from animals (like cows), there's so many of them due to our food needs, that cow farts a top producer of methane on the earth :(
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,472
    What are the odds Canada gets our second female prime minister? 
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    tish said:
    I would say minuscule . Annamie Paul will likely be ousted by her own party after this election.
    The better bet would be the Libs getting rid of Trudeau and promoting Chrystia Freeland to leader.
    I am not a Conservative supporter (too many Rempel types) but have always respected Lisa Raitt 

Post edited by erebus on
  • Options
    tish said:

0?

There's no chance the country as a whole votes Green :(