The Golf Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/ryder-cup-2018-phil-mickelson-safeway-open-team-usa-europe-a8569666.html

I think I will root for the European team from now on.  The US is soft.  Mickelson should retire. 

Well I don't think Phil has to worry about ever playing for a Ryder Cup team again.
    I don’t think he needs to worry about the PPV hits on his stupid little match with Tiger either. I hope it flops. I sure won’t be paying to watch that crap. 

Would have been worth watching 10 years ago.  Not now. 
    Without question. Or if they had some skin in the game, I’d still be interested today. But $10M of other people’s money doesn’t excite me in the least bit. I’ll catch the highlights on ESPN. 
    Yeah I have zero interest in watching this.  Now if it was something like JT vs Rory I would be interested.
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Really having a hard time putting my trip together for the US Open at Pebble Beach next summer... I bought my ticket package when they went on sale, but I can't get travel and accommodations figured out without breaking the bank. 
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    JT tweeted there is a 0% chance he’ll watch the Tiger/Phil PPV spectacle because he’ll be watching football. Priceless! 
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    apparently, no spectators for Phil v. eldrick. Damn. You know they would have been all over the “sex addict”
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    Johnny Miller retiring.  I liked how he was critical of players.  Paul Azinger will do a good job taking over.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    Johnny Miller retiring.  I liked how he was critical of players.  Paul Azinger will do a good job taking over.

I think a lot of the golf guys here couldn’t stand JM.

me? I can’t stand TW.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I, for one, am one of the bigger Johnny Miller haters.  As DJ lines up a 59 foot triple breaker, Miller will drop some nonsense "this is pretty simple putt, guys.  If he doesn't get this within 2 feet, it's definitely a very poor effort".  Everything is easy.

That said, while I think the Fox US Open (and Am) coverage has gotten much better and I like it, Azinger's shtick is going to wear off in a hurry.
    I, for one, am one of the bigger Johnny Miller haters.  As DJ lines up a 59 foot triple breaker, Miller will drop some nonsense "this is pretty simple putt, guys.  If he doesn't get this within 2 feet, it's definitely a very poor effort".  Everything is easy.

That said, while I think the Fox US Open (and Am) coverage has gotten much better and I like it, Azinger's shtick is going to wear off in a hurry.

I don't mind his criticisms when a guy hits a bad shot, but it just seems he has personal vendettas against certain guys (Rory for sure).  It seems to really bother him that these guys workout and stay in good shape these days.

I don't mind his criticisms when a guy hits a bad shot, but it just seems he has personal vendettas against certain guys (Rory for sure).  It seems to really bother him that these guys workout and stay in good shape these days.
    I don’t mind criticism either but it’s just soooo off the wall 
    I can’t stand announcers that say every shot is difficult.   It may be difficult for amateurs, but not for pros.  I bet 90% of the time announcers say a shot is difficult to get close they get it close.  
    I can’t stand announcers that say every shot is difficult.   It may be difficult for amateurs, but not for pros.  I bet 90% of the time announcers say a shot is difficult to get close they get it close.  
    Who does that?
    Who does that?
    Just about all of the announcers.  
    Who does that?
    Just about all of the announcers.  
    I disagree. I think they more just show amazement at the good shots rather than just downplaying them.

Well looks like the season is coming to an end in the cold weather locales of the US.  This was unfortunately a wasted golf year for me.  No practice and very little golf (two 18 hole rounds and maybe 5 9 hole rounds from July 5th - October 31st).    I've booked a four day Hilton Head golf trip though over Thanksgiving so hopefully will make up some rounds that way.  There is always 2019!

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

Well looks like the season is coming to an end in the cold weather locales of the US.  This was unfortunately a wasted golf year for me.  No practice and very little golf (two 18 hole rounds and maybe 5 9 hole rounds from July 5th - October 31st).    I've booked a four day Hilton Head golf trip though over Thanksgiving so hopefully will make up some rounds that way.  There is always 2019!

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else but I thought you play a ton even in cold weather?

Anywho----Going into the 70's here on Thursday. Tempted to call out but I did that the other week when it got up to 60. Hoping to play Sunday since the Eagles have a bye anyway.

My cut off is generally 45ish with no wind. You get some sun on a day like that, throw a couple pairs of socks on with a wool hat and an under armor shirt underneath--I'm generally pretty comfortable out there. Last winter was rough, but I was able to play quite a bit the previous two years. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    I played twice. Having a newborn is tough.  Ebs and flows of a golf career. Lost the game for a while around college and got it back over the past maybe 10 years.  I'll get back out there, but the old Taylor Mades collected some dust this year.
    Played very little this year. I used to regularly get 40-50 rounds a year. This year I didn’t crack 10. Kids activities take priority over mine. Love the game when I can do it though. 

Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else but I thought you play a ton even in cold weather?

Anywho----Going into the 70's here on Thursday. Tempted to call out but I did that the other week when it got up to 60. Hoping to play Sunday since the Eagles have a bye anyway.

My cut off is generally 45ish with no wind. You get some sun on a day like that, throw a couple pairs of socks on with a wool hat and an under armor shirt underneath--I'm generally pretty comfortable out there. Last winter was rough, but I was able to play quite a bit the previous two years. 

You are right.  I do play in cold weather.  Has to be above freezing and little wind/rain.  Like you said, if the sun comes out a little and you layer up, you get used to it after a few holes.  I have a feeling though this winter won't have too many decent days that fall on a weekend, and the days just get shorter. 
    Bryson up to 5 in the world.  Pretty crazy and going to be fun with him being so good.  People hate on him so much.  It's going to be amusin.
    Bryson up to 5 in the world.  Pretty crazy and going to be fun with him being so good.  People hate on him so much.  It's going to be amusin.
    His swing is ugly but effective.  I think the media is part of the problem.  So he is going to putt with the flagstick in - big deal.
    His swing is ugly but effective.  I think the media is part of the problem.  So he is going to putt with the flagstick in - big deal.
    I don't completely hate the guy and I want him to be good since he'll be fun and good for the game.  That said, he doesn't do himself any favors when he talks about the reason for putting with the flagstick in being "the coefficient of restitution".

I'd also argue that the media loves him.  Gives them something different to write and talk about.  I get the sense a lot of them really like him.
    Yeah, he doesn't seem like a jerk. 
    I don't completely hate the guy and I want him to be good since he'll be fun and good for the game.  That said, he doesn't do himself any favors when he talks about the reason for putting with the flagstick in being "the coefficient of restitution".

I'd also argue that the media loves him.  Gives them something different to write and talk about.  I get the sense a lot of them really like him.
    Except Johnny Miller. But he's gone now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

I think he talks like that to keep up his image of being an astrophysicist, or whatever the hell he majored in. I mean, he could have simply said, “the ball has a higher likelihood to drop with the flagstick in.” He knows if he talks about COR and a bunch of jargon that no one understands, all the fans and media will say, “ooh ahh...he’s super smart.”  
    Anyone watching 24/7? I want to see it but got rid of hbo and it’s not on the fire stick yet. Seeing mixed reviews. More interested in that than the match though

Officially will not be seeing 1 minute of it. Plans for a nice little day next Friday that does not include a tv 
    Anyone watching 24/7? I want to see it but got rid of hbo and it’s not on the fire stick yet. Seeing mixed reviews. More interested in that than the match though

Officially will not be seeing 1 minute of it. Plans for a nice little day next Friday that does not include a tv 
    I haven’t watched it but I didn’t even know about it until now. I have HBO so I’ll watch however many episodes have aired to this point over the weekend. Like you, I’m more interested in this than the match. I’ll report back. 

Haven't watched....I feel like I would be cringing big time while watching it with the manufactured rivalry crap.  This whole thing is so lame.  
    24/7 is just so well done, I feel like it has to be decent.  I do think the thing is generally lame, as I have mentioned.

Interested to hear what you think, bbiggs.

I watched it. Really well done. It chronicles their careers and shows how they were practicing for the match. Phil was playing a round at the course itself, while Tiger was at his course in FL. Shadow Creek looks amazing. 

And Cliff, I agree that the whole thing is kind of lame but.....yeah, who cares? It's golf and I still think it's gonna be fun to watch, especially with them and their caddies miked up. 
    chinese-happy.jpg