The Golf Thread

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Not the worst week to miss.  Really low purse compared to all the elevated events.  Just don't forget the next 2 weeks!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    I almost never miss a pick, but I almost never make a cut too, it seems...

It's amazing that the best players in the world miss cuts whenever I pick them!
    Absolutely stacked leaderboard. 

I have hatton so go him
    So this is pretty entertaining 
    CBS is absolutely lapping NBC on the broadcast front. The amount of commercials in the last hour is comical
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,489
    $3.6M for a win at Bay Hill. That is nuts (ignorning LIV for now).  Guys have nerves of steel to hit shots with that much on the line.    
    $3.6M for a win at Bay Hill. That is nuts (ignorning LIV for now).  Guys have nerves of steel to hit shots with that much on the line.    
    Crazy. Marking that last “putt” was hilarious. 

I don’t get the Twitter bay hill hate. Absolutely does not look like a course I would enjoy one bit, but for pro golf, I like it. Legit test and you know what players have to do down the stretch with limited chances, basically only 16 though kitayama obviously got it down on 17 rather than 16 

I don’t get the Twitter bay hill hate. Absolutely does not look like a course I would enjoy one bit, but for pro golf, I like it. Legit test and you know what players have to do down the stretch with limited chances, basically only 16 though kitayama obviously got it down on 17 rather than 16 
    That was a sick move.  But can't blame the guy for marking the putt to win his first tournament on the tour!

Yeah I don't get the Bay Hill hate either.  It's nice to see a tough ass course and these dudes struggle to make par once in awhile.  The trendy thing with all these golf accounts seems to be just ripping on every course on tour.  

That was a sick move.  But can't blame the guy for marking the putt to win his first tournament on the tour!

Yeah I don't get the Bay Hill hate either.  It's nice to see a tough ass course and these dudes struggle to make par once in awhile.  The trendy thing with all these golf accounts seems to be just ripping on every course on tour.  
    Absolutely. NLU is super at fault in this too. But yeah, yesterday was awesome. Stacked leaderboard, tough conditions...that ball that Rory hit that never got more than 3 feet off the ground and went less than 100 yards was awesome.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,712

I actually felt like that move was maybe for the benefit of Holvand. Yeah, Kitayama might've wanted to have the final putt of the tournament because he won. But he also may have thought that if he taps it in, there's a big roar for him, the tournament is decided, THEN poor Hovland has to finish up. And there's few things sadder in sports than the guy in the final group of a golf tournament finishing up after the tournament is over. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com

I actually felt like that move was maybe for the benefit of Holvand. Yeah, Kitayama might've wanted to have the final putt of the tournament because he won. But he also may have thought that if he taps it in, there's a big roar for him, the tournament is decided, THEN poor Hovland has to finish up. And there's few things sadder in sports than the guy in the final group of a golf tournament finishing up after the tournament is over. 
    I've read that Tiger will almost always mark and be the last to putt out on any hole given he knows the sea of people that is about to move as soon as he finishes a hole and he doesn't want it to be a distraction.  I think usually players will tap it in if it's within a foot'ish, even if it's the 72nd hole, but not too unusual to see a player mark, more because it was literally hanging over the lip.
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,600
    If he wasn't the final group, and therefore not the confirmed winner, then I think he taps in waits for Hovland.  But because he is the last group, it's appropriate he makes the last putt.  It played out properly in my book. 
    Was listening to No Laying Up and one of the guys said something to the effect of "I wish I wasn't talking about the number of commercial breaks".   I chuckled.  Based on the 20 minute conversation I think they rather enjoy it.  
    Tough morning for Tiger.  What a wild move to have someone sign an NDA at the beginning of a relationship...

I hope that is just about wanting to write a book and cash-in, versus actual assault/harrassment.  
    I could see anyone dating Taylor Swift wanting her to sign an NDA.  That's a call back to 10 years ago.  
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,872
    Tyga!!!!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
    I wonder if Tiger would press a button to be a normal person if he could.  
  • ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 624
    Does this mean their relationship isn't going great?  Oh Tiger.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    Tough morning for Tiger.  What a wild move to have someone sign an NDA at the beginning of a relationship...

don’t worry….the slurping media will downplay it.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139
    Went with Rahm for the one and done...
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Went with Rahm for the one and done...
    Rory for me
    Went with JT this week.  Almost a third of my pool went with Rory....hoping for a MC from him!
    Went with JT this week.  Almost a third of my pool went with Rory....hoping for a MC from him!
    Off to a rough start for sure.

I also spent about a half hour earlier putting in a bunch of dumb bets. Whenever I finish that I feel as if if I just blacked out or something. Throwing money away! lol
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Bad start for sure. Basically dead last. Almost backdoored a win last week but off to a much worse start. Figured everyone would go with him, and I am basically out of the pool already, but I can never decide if it's good to go with the top pick or try to snag a dark horse, not that Rahm or JT are really that
    You guys really shouldn't bet guys to win prior to or during the first round of a golf tournament. There's just too many guys. And you don't get good odds when you're betting on the "stars" of the tour like Rahm, Rory, or JT. Starting last year around the U.S. Open, I began waiting until at least the third round (usually the fourth) before betting, and then try to grab someone that near the top of the leaderboard. And I've had great success with it. More success than I've had gambling in the past anyway. 

Take Rory for example. He's +3 right now as I type this and the leader is -7. People that bet on Rory will almost certainly lose. But not only that, people that bet on him didn't get very good odds to begin with because he's always one of the favorites. So what's the better bet? Betting on Thursday for someone like Rory to win the entire tournament? Or waiting until Sunday morning and grabbing the guy that's in like 2 or 3 strokes back. You'd probably get similar odds. Something in the +600 range maybe? But you'd only need the guy you bet on to have one good round, rather than four. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Mansplaining at it's finest!

We're talking about a weekly pool, outside of what Juggler highlighted which he literally said was throwing away money
    You guys really shouldn't bet guys to win prior to or during the first round of a golf tournament. There's just too many guys. And you don't get good odds when you're betting on the "stars" of the tour like Rahm, Rory, or JT. Starting last year around the U.S. Open, I began waiting until at least the third round (usually the fourth) before betting, and then try to grab someone that near the top of the leaderboard. And I've had great success with it. More success than I've had gambling in the past anyway. 

Take Rory for example. He's +3 right now as I type this and the leader is -7. People that bet on Rory will almost certainly lose. But not only that, people that bet on him didn't get very good odds to begin with because he's always one of the favorites. So what's the better bet? Betting on Thursday for someone like Rory to win the entire tournament? Or waiting until Sunday morning and grabbing the guy that's in like 2 or 3 strokes back. You'd probably get similar odds. Something in the +600 range maybe? But you'd only need the guy you bet on to have one good round, rather than four. 
    Schauffele is +3000 right now. You think you will have better odds on Sunday if he's in the mix?

chinese-happy.jpg
    Mansplaining at it's finest!

We're talking about a weekly pool, outside of what Juggler highlighted which he literally said was throwing away money
    Okay well then maybe Juggler might find it useful. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Bad start for sure. Basically dead last. Almost backdoored a win last week but off to a much worse start. Figured everyone would go with him, and I am basically out of the pool already, but I can never decide if it's good to go with the top pick or try to snag a dark horse, not that Rahm or JT are really that
    Yeah I'm struggling big time in my pool....think I'm like 5M back of the leaders.  But with all these elevated events this year, you can get right back in it if you get a winner or 2 or top 2-3 finish in those tourneys.  Used to save the big dogs for majors and players but now you have like 15 events to use the top guys.