Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    reesdog said:
    I’ve seen them a few times, first was their own headlining show at the Brixton Academy in London after their 2nd album R Rated, so around 2000, but they did play a ‘new’ song which was No One Knows, it was fucking great, pretty much all songs played were from the first two albums, which I like the most by far.

Next it was opening for AC/DC at Milton Keyes in the UK around 2001. Then opening for the Foo Fighters at Hyde Park in 2005-6 with Motörhead. Both awesome shows, AC/DC being the better headliners though.

Next was in Auckland, New Zealand in the co-headlining tour with Nine Inch Nails, 2014, they were good, If I Had A Tail live was great to hear,  but NIN were much better and stole the show completely.

I probably wouldn’t go see them live now, their albums have gradually got worse and worse, the last one Villians,  being a total turd imo, give me a break, what is that weak Mark Ronson produced shite. Plus, live the band has changed a lot, the762gxxy dress like office workers now and have turned into complete posers, pretty embarrassing. Happens a lot with bands I’ve noticed, once they get very successful. They will never be as good musically or bad-ass as they were on those first three albums, those records are perfect.
    yeah I don't like the Ronson vibe but there are a few good tunes on Villians.  

I saw them do the entire first album for the 10th anniversary tour at the Vogue in Indy....roughly 1500 capacity.  That was awesome.

I'm the opposite, I love Villains and like everything back to Rated R, which I find uneven overall. There's obviously a handful of their greatest songs on there but has some only ok stuff as well. I never even listen to their first album. Not my vibe. Even Songs for the Deaf is only ok to me.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056

Musically, they can do no wrong in my books.  There are only a handful of songs I don’t love.
    And ya - I can forgive missteps.  The photographer thing was super stupid, yes, but overblown.  Tired of hearing about it every time the band is mentioned.  
    Josh still tops my list of rock stars to party with.  I think he’s hilarious.  

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    tbergs said:
    reesdog said:
    I’ve seen them a few times, first was their own headlining show at the Brixton Academy in London after their 2nd album R Rated, so around 2000, but they did play a ‘new’ song which was No One Knows, it was fucking great, pretty much all songs played were from the first two albums, which I like the most by far.

Next it was opening for AC/DC at Milton Keyes in the UK around 2001. Then opening for the Foo Fighters at Hyde Park in 2005-6 with Motörhead. Both awesome shows, AC/DC being the better headliners though.

Next was in Auckland, New Zealand in the co-headlining tour with Nine Inch Nails, 2014, they were good, If I Had A Tail live was great to hear,  but NIN were much better and stole the show completely.

I probably wouldn’t go see them live now, their albums have gradually got worse and worse, the last one Villians,  being a total turd imo, give me a break, what is that weak Mark Ronson produced shite. Plus, live the band has changed a lot, the762gxxy dress like office workers now and have turned into complete posers, pretty embarrassing. Happens a lot with bands I’ve noticed, once they get very successful. They will never be as good musically or bad-ass as they were on those first three albums, those records are perfect.

I saw them do the entire first album for the 10th anniversary tour at the Vogue in Indy....roughly 1500 capacity.  That was awesome.

I'm the opposite, I love Villains and like everything back to Rated R, which I find uneven overall. There's obviously a handful of their greatest songs on there but has some only ok stuff as well. I never even listen to their first album. Not my vibe. Even Songs for the Deaf is only ok to me.

interesting...until that 10 year anniv tour I really hadn't listened to their first album.  Now I love it.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • thispureamericanriotthispureamericanriot California Posts: 514
    tbergs said:
    reesdog said:

I really enjoy ...Like Clockwork and Them Crooked Vultures. Still working on Villains, only a couple of songs I'm listening to on that one. I love Songs For The Deaf, but not as much as Rated R or Queens of the Stone Age. That first album cuts deep when you give it a chance. I'm hoping to feel that way about Villains someday. But in general, everything Homme touches turns to gold. Underrated guitarist and songwriter.
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    I think the following albums are f’ing amazing: 
    Self Titled
    Songs for the Deaf
    Era Vulgaris 
    Like Clockwork
    Villians

Lullabies to Paralyze & Rated R are a little more hit or miss with me, but still have some amazing songs. (In the Fade is probably my favorite all time QOTSA song) 

Nobody writes like Hommes does, he’s one of my favorite all time songwriters.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,622
    I really admire the work ethic and raw R'n'R spirit of this band. Josh Homme seems like a good dude, so I'm willing to forgive a few missteps here and there (I'm neither perfect or the role-model type). The quality musical output from Homme is simply amazing:

Kyuss
    Queens Of The Stone Age
    The Desert Sessions
    Eagles Of Death Metal
    Them Crooked Vultures
    Iggy Pop (Post Pop Depression)

I'm sure many other projects I'm forgetting too (even Lady Gaga collaboration comes to mind).

Rock on Josh!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHKOC64KnE
    He sings on a few Wellwater Conspiracy songs too. 
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    reesdog said:

I probably wouldn’t go see them live now, their albums have gradually got worse and worse, the last one Villians,  being a total turd imo, give me a break, what is that weak Mark Ronson produced shite. Plus, live the band has changed a lot, they dress like office workers now and have turned into complete posers, pretty embarrassing. Happens a lot with bands I’ve noticed, once they get very successful. They will never be as good musically or bad-ass as they were on those first three albums, those records are perfect.
    I agree with you. Their first two albums were game changers...I guess I am spoiled seeing them so early in their career. I am non plussed by their new stuff. Last time I saw them was on the first album "play the whole album" tour. 

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Like clockwork is it
  • reesdogreesdog Auckland, NZ. Posts: 1,981
    lolobugg said:
    reesdog said:

I probably wouldn’t go see them live now, their albums have gradually got worse and worse, the last one Villians,  being a total turd imo, give me a break, what is that weak Mark Ronson produced shite. Plus, live the band has changed a lot, they dress like office workers now and have turned into complete posers, pretty embarrassing. Happens a lot with bands I’ve noticed, once they get very successful. They will never be as good musically or bad-ass as they were on those first three albums, those records are perfect.
    I agree with you. Their first two albums were game changers...I guess I am spoiled seeing them so early in their career. I am non plussed by their new stuff. Last time I saw them was on the first album "play the whole album" tour. 
    Yeah, if you know them from the start you know what I’m talking about. You come in late with them then that’s probably the vibe that attracts you to them. For me knowing them from the start, the new stuff is not worth listening too..

seeing them hen play all of their debut live would be awesome..
    A wop bop a loo bop a lop bam boom.
    reesdog said:
    lolobugg said:
    reesdog said:

Yeah, if you know them from the start you know what I’m talking about. You come in late with them then that’s probably the vibe that attracts you to them. For me knowing them from the start, the new stuff is not worth listening too..

I was there from the start too and still LOVE their debut album. Raw riffs and muscle, no nonsense music. I tried getting into Villains again recently and it's too "keyboard-y" for me (and I love keyboards too BTW). The Evil Has Landed is only thing on my playlist from Villains. I really hope people go back and connect with their early stuff. A great band.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVBz0A1rrkM
    Yes! Avon, Regular John, Mexicola, If Only, The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret, In The Fade, Monsters In. The Parasol. These are the songs, brutal..

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    That bass line is vicious. Love this tune, always been a favorite. Nice version.
    Technically not a QOTSA song, but indicative of their early work.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImFVPG2CQlQ
    reesdog said:
    lolobugg said:
    reesdog said:

I was there from the start too and still LOVE their debut album. Raw riffs and muscle, no nonsense music. I tried getting into Villains again recently and it's too "keyboard-y" for me (and I love keyboards too BTW). The Evil Has Landed is only thing on my playlist from Villains. I really hope people go back and connect with their early stuff. A great band.
    Such a great track, heavier than a nutron bomb..
    That was decent! Still prefer Nick Oliveri on bass though..

Hadn’t heard this before, great recommendation!
    reesdog said:

Hadn’t heard this before, great recommendation!
    ditto...

The Desert Sessions Volumes 1-10 were like a trial run for many QOTSA songs before being recored "properly" by the band. Some fun and energetic songs on those albums - highly recommended to any QOTSA fan. I've always seen The Desert Sessions and Them Crooked Vultures as close to QOTSA as you can get. Cheers!
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    reesdog said:
    lolobugg said:
    reesdog said:

I remember talking to some kids around 2002 and they thought Rated R was the first album. I couldn't believe it. I lent them my old QOTSA "Loosegroove" Records version on cassette. I never got it back.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

lolobugg said:
    reesdog said:
    lolobugg said:
    reesdog said:

I remember talking to some kids around 2002 and they thought Rated R was the first album. I couldn't believe it. I lent them my old QOTSA "Loosegroove" Records version on cassette. I never got it back.
    I remember seeing Lost Art of Keeping a Secret on MTV really late at night when it first came out.  I had never heard of QOTSA or Kyuss prior to that.  I was impressed and started paying attention but never did go back and visit that first album until they did the 10 year anniv tour.

A lot of my friends discovered them with "No One Knows" from Songs For The Deaf. But as Conan says, the first album is a classic!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH1Y0puxSu0
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    I didn't start truly following QOTSA until Like Clockwork came out. I knew of them from their big hits in the early 2000's, but became hooked after Clockwork. I see a lot of comments about those who followed from the beginning not being able to get in to the new stuff and only really liking the first few albums, sounds similar to a lot of Pearl Jam fans. I also think it has a lot to do with both bands firing their most wild members after a few albums. I really liked Nick and what he brought to QOTSA, but it was probably for the best and they've made some awesome music since then.

With that said, only Nick could do this song proper justice. So awesome.
    https://youtu.be/PSNL1F_CDpw
    It's a hopeless situation...
    Lullabies to Paralyze is their Yield in my opinion.  That's the album where I dove in.

I wasn't real happy with Era Vulgaris....loved Clockwork, Villians ok.

Lullabies to Paralyze is their Yield in my opinion.  That's the album where I dove in.

I wasn't real happy with Era Vulgaris....loved Clockwork, Villians ok.
    So true. That's exactly how I feel! Their first three albums are classic. Lullabies is great too, Era Vulgaris only has a few songs I like, ...Like Clockwork is a winner and Villains is only "ok" IMO. If you throw Them Crooked Vultures in there too...it's a great catalog. 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited August 2018
    I think their albums basically get better and better over time. I love all of their albums, but S/T and Rated R are my least faves (although I got that really, really shitty reissue for Rated R; it's not actually the music that makes me say that about the album, just the fucking terrible sound quality of my record; I really should replace that with a better pressing). I think their most recent two albums are their best albums - complete masterpieces IMO - but I also think that Era Vugaris is fucking fantastic and way underrated, and Lullabies is amazing. Songs for the Deaf would be a lot better without all that radio crap in it. I think that really breaks up an otherwise incredible album, not in a good way. But anyway, I have their entire catalogue and am happy to spin any of those albums - I'm with Drowned Out in thinking that QOTSA can essentially do no wrong.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,386
    PJ_Soul said:
    I think their albums basically get better and better over time. I love all of their albums, but S/T and Rated R are my least faves (although I got that really, really shitty reissue for Rated R; it's not actually the music that makes me say that about the album, just the fucking terrible sound quality of my record; I really should replace that with a better pressing). I think their most recent two albums are their best albums - complete masterpieces IMO - but I also think that Era Vugaris is fucking fantastic and way underrated, and Lullabies is amazing. Songs for the Deaf would be a lot better without all that radio crap in it. I think that really breaks up an otherwise incredible album, not in a good way. But anyway, I have their entire catalogue and am happy to spin any of those albums - I'm with Drowned Out in thinking that QOTSA can essentially do no wrong.
    Ha! I love the radio aspect to SFTD.

Different strokes...! 
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    Ha! I love the radio aspect to SFTD.

Different strokes...! 
    I can appreciate what they were going for... but at the end of the day, it just feels kinda too campy for me. I think the more times I hear that aspect of the album, the less I like it. I remember thinking it was cool at first, but the novelty wore off of that idea fast for me, and it just became an annoying distraction from an otherwise great album.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I once used editing software to cut out the DJ interludes. It sounds good either way, but on my playlist I do prefer editing out the DJs. If I listen to Songs for the Deaf front to back, I like hearing the DJs.

From Wikipedia:
    Radio DJs

The songs on Songs for the Deaf are interluded by staged bits of radio chatter with guest DJs. In order of appearance: