Options

Queens of the Stone Age

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,368
    My damn albums aren't arriving until Saturday now.  The package that was out for delivery previously was just the damn shirt, which looks like a clansmen...  Not sure how that one got through QC?
    Qotsa Executioner Queens Of The Stone Age Shirt hoodie sweater long  sleeve and tank top
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,639
    edited June 2023
    My damn albums aren't arriving until Saturday now.  The package that was out for delivery previously was just the damn shirt, which looks like a clansmen...  Not sure how that one got through QC?
    Qotsa Executioner Queens Of The Stone Age Shirt hoodie sweater long  sleeve and tank top

Qlans of the Stone Age

My vinyl was originally scheduled for Saturday, but ended up arriving yesterday... you never know. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 18,130
    I got my vinyl yesterday....was a bit surprised but still not clear why it didn't show up on release day
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    I would never recommend a non fan listen to any PJ record post Binaural.  Maybe Riot Act.  It isn’t the band I got hooked on.

But when I listen to this new QOTSA album I am thinking about how I can convince my niece and nephew to listen to it addition to what they like now.

Listened to a Josh Homme interview recently.  He was saying something to the effect of music genres are for high school kids and adults shouldn’t not like songs because it isn’t cool or hip.  His example was Toxic by Britney Spears. It is a great song.

I would argue that Avocado is the cutoff. Everything after that seems rushed and more individual rather than "band."

And I agree on the new album...I ranked it earlier and it's one of their best in my opinion.

And Homme still sounds great. Hasn't lost that voice

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 36,339
    edited June 2023

inside cover image...left side
    right side

Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

inside cover image...
    No shit, you know this.  What do you think a person out on the street sees?  I brought this up because it was indeed a question asked to me a few times...
  • Options
    I gave up on trying to rank QOTSA's albums, they're all so phenomenal in their own right. 

At this point I'm marveling at the evolution they've had over the years... and it's pretty linear, from the early sludgy awesomeness we saw on the 1st 3 albums, to Lullabies and Era where you can see them taking those leaps forward to this new level of songwriting they've been showcasing on these last 3 albums. 

Best band of the last 25 years IMO. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    I gave up on trying to rank QOTSA's albums, they're all so phenomenal in their own right. 

At this point I'm marveling at the evolution they've had over the years... and it's pretty linear, from the early sludgy awesomeness we saw on the 1st 3 albums, to Lullabies and Era where you can see them taking those leaps forward to this new level of songwriting they've been showcasing on these last 3 albums. 

I agree. And that's not even counting Josh's other great albums. All four Eagles of Death Metal albums are awesome. Them Crooked Vultures was awesome (can't believe they only did one album), and the Desert Sessions is awesome. That's 13 full-length albums and 12 volumes of the Desert Sessions. He's definitely the best guy in rock to be a fan of based on his output. Jack White is up there too....but I prefer Josh.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options

I agree. And that's not even counting Josh's other great albums. All four Eagles of Death Metal albums are awesome. Them Crooked Vultures was awesome (can't believe they only did one album), and the Desert Sessions is awesome. That's 13 full-length albums and 12 volumes of the Desert Sessions. He's definitely the best guy in rock to be a fan of based on his output. Jack White is up there too....but I prefer Josh.
    That TCV only did one album is a heartbreaker. 

Don't forget Post Pop Depression, which was pretty much Iggy Pop backed by QOTSA (if you swap out the drummer). 

"Sunday" has some of the slickest Hommes guitar licks to date, and he's set a high bar for himself. 
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,786
    And if we're going back further than 25 years, we can throw in the four Kyuss albums. That is one hell of a discography this guy has. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I remember waking up one night at like 3am and I had left the TV in our bedroom on...must have been MTV. The video for The Lost Art of Keeping a Secret was playing and I was just blown away. Oddly I completely ignored their first album for years. But that reminds me of my PJ journey as well. The first PJ album I bought was Vitalogy and I never paid much attention to Ten or Vs until several years later.

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,633
    I would never recommend a non fan listen to any PJ record post Binaural.  Maybe Riot Act.  It isn’t the band I got hooked on.

But when I listen to this new QOTSA album I am thinking about how I can convince my niece and nephew to listen to it addition to what they like now.

Listened to a Josh Homme interview recently.  He was saying something to the effect of music genres are for high school kids and adults shouldn’t not like songs because it isn’t cool or hip.  His example was Toxic by Britney Spears. It is a great song.

I would argue that Avocado is the cutoff. Everything after that seems rushed and more individual rather than "band."

And I agree on the new album...I ranked it earlier and it's one of their best in my opinion.

I can get on board with cutting off after Avocado.

Not saying the new albums are bad (neither are you), just not albums I want to evangelize the non-believers with.
  • Options
    edited June 2023

I can get on board with cutting off after Avocado.

Not saying the new albums are bad (neither are you), just not albums I want to evangelize the non-believers with.
    agreed...I've said on here before that BS is my 22 year old daughter's favorite PJ album but I think that's because it was the first one released that she was old enough to get into it. She loves it though.

I put Gigaton above LB and way above BS. But something has to be the bottom.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801

Josh is great, but Jack is our Neil Young.  He can do it all in a way that only Neil could do, seamlessly glide from band to band, acoustic to electric, country to rock, instrument to instrument, terrible to awesome, weird to mainstream.   Josh has one genre, basically.  
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,633
    mrussel1 said:

Josh is great, but Jack is our Neil Young.  He can do it all in a way that only Neil could do, seamlessly glide from band to band, acoustic to electric, country to rock, instrument to instrument, terrible to awesome, weird to mainstream.   Josh has one genre, basically.  
    I would agree regarding Josh.  Luckily it is something somewhat unique.  That would be my only critique on this new album.  It isn’t pushing boundaries, but sometimes you try to and it sucks.   
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

If we're going to talk about modern day renaissance men, I would take Mike Patton over anyone else... granted, his output has been weirder then others, and he's slowed down in the last 10 years as opposed to the prior 25, but if we're going to talk about artists taking on different genres, he would be my hands down all time favorite. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,925
    mrussel1 said:

If we're going to talk about modern day renaissance men, I would take Mike Patton over anyone else... granted, his output has been weirder then others, and he's slowed down in the last 10 years as opposed to the prior 25, but if we're going to talk about artists taking on different genres, he would be my hands down all time favorite. 
    Absolutely agreed 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    mrussel1 said:

I guess, but nothing he's done rises to the level of the White Stripes.  There may not be a more known song in the world than Seven Nation Army at this point. 

I don't know Patton deeply enough to know his writing and producing talents, but don't forget that Jack produced, sang, played and wrote (some) of Van Lear Rose which was Loretta Lynn's huge comeback album, winning country album of the year.  How crazy is that, at 28 years old he does that with a 72 year old woman.  
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    This band just continues to impress me with every new release. I know a lot of fans weren't in to Villains, but I thought it was pretty awesome from the first listen and only got better. This one didn't catch me as quickly at first, but on listen 3, I'm all in. I love the riffs and rhythms they come up with. Time & Place is my favorite so far. Paper Machete brings me back to Era Vulgaris with some of the tones and I know I'm in the minority when I say that's one of my favorite albums of theirs. The first 4 songs are fantastic. Obscenery is a great opener and Negative Space has a sick groove.

One of the things I love about new music by QOTSA is that it really makes me want to completely dive back in to their whole catalog because it's so great. I've been spending lots of time watching/listening to live performances on YouTube of some of their old stuff and new stuff. They just sound so great and are a fun band to watch. I can't remember if I had seen it before, but their performance of Misfit Love on The Henry Rollins Show is phenomenal even if the video isn't great. I love that song.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,347
    tbergs said:
    This band just continues to impress me with every new release. I know a lot of fans weren't in to Villains, but I thought it was pretty awesome from the first listen and only got better. This one didn't catch me as quickly at first, but on listen 3, I'm all in. I love the riffs and rhythms they come up with. Time & Place is my favorite so far. Paper Machete brings me back to Era Vulgaris with some of the tones and I know I'm in the minority when I say that's one of my favorite albums of theirs. The first 4 songs are fantastic. Obscenery is a great opener and Negative Space has a sick groove.

One of the things I love about new music by QOTSA is that it really makes me want to completely dive back in to their whole catalog because it's so great. I've been spending lots of time watching/listening to live performances on YouTube of some of their old stuff and new stuff. They just sound so great and are a fun band to watch. I can't remember if I had seen it before, but their performance of Misfit Love on The Henry Rollins Show is phenomenal even if the video isn't great. I love that song.

Oh yeah, love that one too! Also, this one is one of my absolute favorites (I Think I Lost My Headache live at Voodoo Fest 2005). https://youtu.be/QJbP9kisQsQ

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,318
    tbergs said:

Oh yeah, love that one too! Also, this one is one of my absolute favorites (I Think I Lost My Headache live at Voodoo Fest 2005). https://youtu.be/QJbP9kisQsQ

Excellent! I love Theodore on drums, but man, what a beast Costello was. The guy was like a mix between The Hulk and Animal from The Muppets. He just crushed the kit back there.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,229
    Hobbes said:

I just realized Liam Lynch directed this video :smile:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    From last nights show 

(Played over curfew; venue turned off speakers. Josh launched himself into drum kit ending the show)

If anyone comes across video of this, please post it. 
  • Options
    kasedougkasedoug The Golden State Posts: 2,909
    nicknyr15 said:
    From last nights show 

(Played over curfew; venue turned off speakers. Josh launched himself into drum kit ending the show)

I’ve seen it posted a couple places in their tagged posts on Instagram. Here’s one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct1s8PwrqmQ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

• Options
    kasedoug said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    From last nights show 

I’ve seen it posted a couple places in their tagged posts on Instagram. Here’s one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ct1s8PwrqmQ/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/nbw2oI9CfTk

They don't shut the power down though, he does jump in the kit.

That has to hurt, lol.
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/nbw2oI9CfTk

They don't shut the power down though, he does jump in the kit.

That has to hurt, lol.
    Has anyone here seen when Mike patton essentially stage dives into Puffys kit??? 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    Secret song. :sunglasses:

Well, more of a song snippet.

*crickets*
  • Options
    LizJLizJ Posts: 338
    Hobbes said:

*crickets*
    Do you mean the one on the vinyl? Side 4? It’s not on the CD, so I’ve only read about it. Different lyrics? 
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,413
    LizJ said:
    Hobbes said:

*crickets*
    Do you mean the one on the vinyl? Side 4? It’s not on the CD, so I’ve only read about it. Different lyrics? 
    Yep, side 4 on the vinyl. Here's a listen (video is not mine):

https://youtube.com/shorts/xmNzfbCXq2M?feature=share