Queens of the Stone Age

yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
edited January 2007 in Other Music
Anybody a fan? I personally think that Songs for the Deaf is a masterpiece...the one after that I wasn't all that impressed with...what do you guys think?
“May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• i'm pretty sure there are lot of fans here, myself included.

i much prefer self-titled and rated r to the last 2 though.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,926
    I'm a huge fan. I've loved everything that they've released...nothing beats a band that can takes risks/evolve. :)
  • Yeah, I love all of their albums. "Songs For The Deaf" is definitley their best work, but "Rated R" is almost as good. I find their S/T and LTP somewhat similar, but both albums still rock pretty fucking hard.
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    anybody heard any news on some new material or anything coming from these guys?
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • ToshalaToshala Posts: 200
    don't know about that but you gotta see this!

http://www.eaglesofdeathmetal.net/media/Jesseaskjosh.mov

Josh is as always, tongue planted firmly in cheek!!!!
  • yield2me wrote:
    anybody heard any news on some new material or anything coming from these guys?

supposedly this year, but nothing concrete that i've heard/seen
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    songs for the deaf would be easily my least favourite of theirs. i love the first two and lullabies....
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
    songs for the deaf would be easily my least favourite of theirs. i love the first two and lullabies....

WTF???
  • I don't think I am a fan---but I like them. Saw them in concert, liked them more!
  • songs for the deaf would probably be my least fave as well. i still like it, but not as much as the others.
    I don't think I am a fan---but I like them. Saw them in concert, liked them more!

lol...what WOULD make you a fan??
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Some of the new album was ok, particularly Burn the witch, Songs for the Deaf was a decent album as well. Have to say i much prefer Rated R and even more so the self titled album which is fantastic. I think their first two albums are far, far superior to the ones after.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    I like this band, but i miss the Nick Songs.
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • I do not miss the Nick songs, they pretty much all sucked. It's hard to say what is my least favorite, probably SFTD, because of all the Nick songs. But SFTD has some of my favorite Queens songs on it, Song For The Deaf/Dead, Mosquito Song, God Is In The Radio,...

S/T is probably my favorite album, great jams, great sounds.
    Are you too good to tango with the poor poor boys?
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    with nick, they were probably the best rock group around. yeah, that's right.
  • The first album was a masterpiece. After that it was downhill. And that doesn't make me any more or less of a "fan" because I don't worship "Songs For The Deaf" like everyone else does. I bought the first album when it came out...not years later like everyone else did...and none of the subsequent albums have lived up to my expectations.
    "I write a letter to a friend of mine
    I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
    See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
    Haven't seen him smile in a little while
    But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
    Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
    R.I.P. JEN
    JWBusher wrote:
    The first album was a masterpiece. After that it was downhill. And that doesn't make me any more or less of a "fan" because I don't worship "Songs For The Deaf" like everyone else does. I bought the first album when it came out...not years later like everyone else did...and none of the subsequent albums have lived up to my expectations.

I remember it came out the same day as 'Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head' did, and I spent all my money for both as well as driving 45 mins each way to find a place still open. I still remember listening to Coldplay first, then putting SFTD and turning up the volume since I couldn't hear it at first...

then BAAAAAMMM!!!

I almost shit myself and had a wreck due to the volume of the song and how much it freakin rocked.
  • JWBusher wrote:
    The first album was a masterpiece. After that it was downhill. And that doesn't make me any more or less of a "fan" because I don't worship "Songs For The Deaf" like everyone else does. I bought the first album when it came out...not years later like everyone else did...and none of the subsequent albums have lived up to my expectations.

You are more of fan for buying S/T on the day it came out though.
    Too cool for school. How much of a fan is someone if they own the vinyl?
  • Having the S/T vinyl would be killer! I've never even seen the cd in stores. I've never paid for it. As soon as I find it in stores, that is my first choice.
  • haha

I am a pj fan-- I own all studio albums and thanks to generous friends endless bootlegs and foreign magazines (a week ago I was given RS MEX, friend was on tour and she has been carrying it around since the summer).

QOTSA--they were in town and I tried for tix and was lucky to get them. I don't own any albums.
    yield2me wrote:
    lol...what WOULD make you a fan??
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    Tension Head..................
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • 3sheets3sheets Posts: 284
    I like Rated R the best. Just a solid album top to bottom. Then it's probably the s/t then SFTD. I just enjoyed a handful of the songs on LTP, and overall the album just didn't do it for me. it really seemed to be lacking Nick's influence and also that of Josh reigning in Nick's ideas.

i think i lost my headache though...
    Live Free or Die!
  • South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Nick is sorely missed. LTP just lacks the punch of previous albums. People think Nick is just a screamer. What about Auto-Pilot off of "R" I enjoy Nick's mellow voice as well. Plus he was always great to watch live. He interacted with the crowd alot more than Josh.
    NERDS!
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    JWBusher wrote:

the first one is the shit...i agree....very very good rock...listened to it the most by far.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • gleemonexgleemonex Posts: 848
    Next favourite band after Pearl Jam. They're great live, but I wish sooooo much that I could've seen them on the Songs For The Deaf tour. With Nick, Lanegan and Dave Grohl is definitely them in their prime.

I only saw the first album once in stores and I grabbed it immediately. I didn't really like it at first but it grew on me. You Would Know is the only song I can't listen to on that CD, it's too boring and repetitive. Mexicola is one of the heaviest, most ass kicking songs I've ever heard, it really strikes a chord with me.

Their new CD is supposed to come out sometime in 2007, but I don't have high expectations for it. I'm almost expecting a letdown since it feels to me that the giant hairy balls of Queens of the Stone Age walked out the door with Nick. They need him back, but it's a very unlikely outcome.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Lisa81Lisa81 Posts: 132
    I'm a huge QOTSA fan, espec the songs which Mark Lanegan sings on. Saw Dave Grohl play with them at Glastonbury.
    Def not the same without Nick though.
    www.flickr.com/photos/ljrw
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    I love their earlier albums, although because i didnt even realise that nick had left, i suppose im not that big of a fan!! Did he not play on the last album? Its the only one i dont own, although ive heard it a few times, thought it was a bit dull aside from a couple songs.

I think they have got progressively worse to be honest, and if nick isnt playing then i cant see them improving really. Still a really great band though, on the basis of their first 3 albums.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    stu gee wrote:
    I love their earlier albums, although because i didnt even realise that nick had left, i suppose im not that big of a fan!! Did he not play on the last album? Its the only one i dont own, although ive heard it a few times, thought it was a bit dull aside from a couple songs.

I think they have got progressively worse to be honest, and if nick isnt playing then i cant see them improving really. Still a really great band though, on the basis of their first 3 albums.

Nick was asked to leave the band before the making of the latest album. I like lullabyes quite a bit but I agree after Rated R each album has been a little of a let down, but i love all 4 of their albums.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22