The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    Cannabis becomes the next arena for single issue voters in Colorado, according to this article. An interesting look at how political parties and candidates are evolving, or not, with respect to cannabis. 

Meet Colorado’s New Single-Issue Voters: The Cannabis Community   https://nyti.ms/2IoUyRy
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    why the fuck would rehab clinics be lobbying to keep weed illegal? who goes to rehab for weed?

I agree, though, that the medicinal properties that people are waking up to with weed are enough to keep big pharma on the offensive and it will be just as difficult at the federal level to get weed legalized as it would to change 2A. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    What would happen if every US state legalized it?  Could this force the federal governments hands to finally legalize it federally?
    I would think it would have to but I also doubt every state will legalize it.  But maybe someday.
    I agree not every state will legalize it ... 
    It will be legalized federally before every state does that.
    I think the US will definitely legalize eventually, as more and more other countries do so, and while more and more states go for it. Canada and Uruguay are just the first two nations - I think now that Canada's done it, the domino effect is likely to take hold over the next several years. Probably Britain will be next, but we'll see.
    If Obama did not push for legalization I predict it will never be approved federally in the US ... Big Pharma, The alcohol industry and now I've read that these rehab clinics now spend money to lobby the government to keep weed illegal. Fuck the politicians I don't need their permission to medicate myself with something far safer than shit coming from big Pharma.
    Hugh Dillon (the real one) was asked on a podcast about the legalization of weed. what he said was so punk rock. 

"I don't give a shit about it at all. I mean, people need to stop looking to the government for permission on how to live their lives". I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist. 

made me chuckle. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    What would happen if every US state legalized it?  Could this force the federal governments hands to finally legalize it federally?
    I would think it would have to but I also doubt every state will legalize it.  But maybe someday.
    I think the US will definitely legalize eventually, as more and more other countries do so, and while more and more states go for it. Canada and Uruguay are just the first two nations - I think now that Canada's done it, the domino effect is likely to take hold over the next several years. Probably Britain will be next, but we'll see.
    If Obama did not push for legalization I predict it will never be approved federally in the US ... Big Pharma, The alcohol industry and now I've read that these rehab clinics now spend money to lobby the government to keep weed illegal. Fuck the politicians I don't need their permission to medicate myself with something far safer than shit coming from big Pharma.
    Hugh Dillon (the real one) was asked on a podcast about the legalization of weed. what he said was so punk rock. 

"I don't give a shit about it at all. I mean, people need to stop looking to the government for permission on how to live their lives". I'm paraphrasing, but that was the jist. 

made me chuckle. 
    Amusing, but easy to say as someone who won't ever be prosecuted for it.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    why the fuck would rehab clinics be lobbying to keep weed illegal? who goes to rehab for weed?

I agree, though, that the medicinal properties that people are waking up to with weed are enough to keep big pharma on the offensive and it will be just as difficult at the federal level to get weed legalized as it would to change 2A. 
    I am going to assume that they are thinking that maybe people who use weed wont't drink, less alcoholism ... or they are opposed based on their personal experience with addiction.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

made me chuckle. 
    I agree with him 100 percent ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

made me chuckle. 
    That's really easy to say until you're arrested for possession.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    I think his point is that its a bullshit law ,,, who created that law ... the fucking European conquerers.  I'm pretty sure our First Nations people are far smarter than the European conquerers to not even give it a second thought.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    I think his point is that its a bullshit law ,,, who created that law ... the fucking European conquerers.  I'm pretty sure our First Nations people are far smarter than the European conquerers to not even give it a second thought.
    I understand his point and I agree with it. I'm just saying, it's easy to call a law bullshit and say people shouldn't obey it until you suffer the consequences of doing so (I have suffered those consequences in the past). That is why I'm pro-legalization instead of just saying "fuck legalization, we should be able to do what we want!!" when thinking of the issue realistically at this point in history. I don't think it's very useful to look at this issue emotionally.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:

made me chuckle. 
    That's really easy to say until you're arrested for possession.
    from listening to Hugh in interviews over the years, he says a lot of stuff just to sound cool. which is why I found it amusing. and he's been sober for years now, so honestly, he has no horse in the race. so of course he can say something like that. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

PJ_Soul said:
    I understand his point and I agree with it. I'm just saying, it's easy to call a law bullshit and say people shouldn't obey it until you suffer the consequences of doing so (I have suffered those consequences in the past). That is why I'm pro-legalization instead of just saying "fuck legalization, we should be able to do what we want!!" when thinking of the issue realistically at this point in history. I don't think it's very useful to look at this issue emotionally.
    I'm pro non of the fucking governements fucking business...but I hear what you are saying...no one should ever be charge for consumption.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

I talked to a guy in a dispensary in Southern Oregon who seemed very  knowledgeable.  He said that cannabis has been used very successfully up there for people addicted to heavier drugs/narcotics.  If he is right (and I have no reason thus far not to believe him) then it would make more sense for rehad centers to support marijuana legalization. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:

I talked to a guy in a dispensary in Southern Oregon who seemed very  knowledgeable.  He said that cannabis has been used very successfully up there for people addicted to heavier drugs/narcotics.  If he is right (and I have no reason thus far not to believe him) then it would make more sense for rehad centers to support marijuana legalization. 
    When he says "up there", does he mean Canada?  I never heard of cannabis being used to other addictions here in Canada.  Not saying it's not happening. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

When he says "up there", does he mean Canada?  I never heard of cannabis being used to other addictions here in Canada.  Not saying it's not happening. 
    Up there as in oregon is 'above' california. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

brianlux said:

Thanks for clarifying ... many Americans I talk to sometimes refer to Canada as "up there" ...

Give Peas A Chance…
    brianlux said:

Thanks for clarifying ... many Americans I talk to sometimes refer to Canada as "up there" ...

oh, haha, i know. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

It is interesting concept ... I never thought of the possibility of Cannabis for treating other addictions??  Why not?  It'd be worth studying, plenty of rehab clinics with plenty of volulnteersfor a study.
    Give Peas A Chance…
    edited June 2018
    I was talking to a guy the other day who said all Cannabis ever did for him was make him jittery ... I asked him "if he ever considered the 5 large coffees he consumes as the possible cause of his jitters" ... he claims he is still jittery even though he gave up Cannabis.  He's jitterery from all the coffee ... fucking idiot.

I just recently cut my coffee intake to 2 cups a day and feel better for it.
    Post edited by Meltdown99 on
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Speaking of rehab clinics.  Has anyone ever seriously looked into there effectiveness.  My brother was an alcoholic who passed away way to young.  He went to rehab 4 times and was in AA.  None of that helped him.  I spent a few days reading articles about AA and these rehab clinics.  My conclusion after reading these articles ... shady, these rehab places seem shady.  AA seems shady, there is no clear cut data that anyone can produce to prove what AA success rate is (partly because it anonymous), but most rehab clinics use AA's 12 step program and in many places these rehab clinics do not have to disclose their success rate.  If you could prove a high success rate, why would you not disclose that?  They were interesting articles.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    It is interesting concept ... I never thought of the possibility of Cannabis for treating other addictions??  Why not?  It'd be worth studying, plenty of rehab clinics with plenty of volulnteersfor a study.
    its pretty straightforward actually.  if you had to be addicted to something, might as well be marijuana.
    vaggar99 said:
    its pretty straightforward actually.  if you had to be addicted to something, might as well be marijuana.
    I agree with you there ...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Speaking of rehab clinics.  Has anyone ever seriously looked into there effectiveness.  My brother was an alcoholic who passed away way to young.  He went to rehab 4 times and was in AA.  None of that helped him.  I spent a few days reading articles about AA and these rehab clinics.  My conclusion after reading these articles ... shady, these rehab places seem shady.  AA seems shady, there is no clear cut data that anyone can produce to prove what AA success rate is (partly because it anonymous), but most rehab clinics use AA's 12 step program and in many places these rehab clinics do not have to disclose their success rate.  If you could prove a high success rate, why would you not disclose that?  They were interesting articles.
    I’m sorry to hear about your brother, meltdown. 

AA resists research by its very nature, which I agree is an issue. However, residential treatment programs should definitely be able to provide outcome data on their clients. Even if they have components of 12 step programming their client base is certainly not anonymous, given their admissions procedures and need for payment. I would suggest anyone be wary of a program that can’t provide robust outcome data, because it suggests they haven’t bothered to see if their practices are helpful and evidence based. 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i know of at least 1 dispensary that was offering free thc capsules for program approved opioid addicts, to try to get them off that shi t
    600mg per pill
    i bought one just for kicks and had to stay on the couch for awhile....
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    i know of at least 1 dispensary that was offering free thc capsules for program approved opioid addicts, to try to get them off that shi t
    600mg per pill
    aka, "couch lock".  Oh yeah!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Bunch of fucking hippy stoners
    edited June 2018
    brianlux said:

No way - lots of rehab facilities are most concerned with money by far (some to the point where they specifically try to keep people in there longer than they need to be), just like in any other business. They'd be against something helps people get off hard drugs without rehab because that would cut into their profits.
    edited June 2018
    The rate of successful rehab is abysmally low in general (like, a 14% - 16% long term recovery rate would be considered really good!), and yes, the rehab industry is shady as fuck, although there really are upstanding and truly well-meaning centres out there of course. People should certainly not just assume that a rehab centre has the patient's best interests in mind. And AA I think can be helpful, but again, the long term success rates are horribly low anyhow, so obviously addiction programs aren't generally very effective, both because of the strength of addiction, but also because of the methods used (or not used) in them. Plus, AA depends on religion a fair bit, so it's not appropriate for some people, assuming the religious aspect is important to the process (which is supposedly is). And in a lot of cases AA just brings people with huge problems together and they get in a lot of trouble with one another sometimes.
    All that said, my grandfather was an alcoholic for decades, and he went down to the States to a Betty Ford clinic and did kick the addiction - he never drank again (although a powerful addiction to 3 packs of Camels a day killed him anyhow, eventually... No condolences necessary though - he was actually an asshole and a crappy husband, father, and grandfather, even when sober).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    600mg per pill

600mg per pill
    600mg?? Are you sure of that dose? That’s such a massive amount of THC. Hard to imagine anyone functioning on that. 
    I was just reading today that Ontario has only approved 4 retail locations to sell Cannabis.  It could have simply been placed in the LCBO where the infrastructure is place.  I think Ford has stated that's the way he's leaning at this time.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
    PJ_Soul said:
    The rate of successful rehab is abysmally low in general (like, a 14% - 16% long term recovery rate would be considered really good!), and yes, the rehab industry is shady as fuck, although there really are upstanding and truly well-meaning centres out there of course. People should certainly not just assume that a rehab centre has the patient's best interests in mind. And AA I think can be helpful, but again, the long term success rates are horribly low anyhow, so obviously addiction programs aren't generally very effective, both because of the strength of addiction, but also because of the methods used (or not used) in them. Plus, AA depends on religion a fair bit, so it's not appropriate for some people, assuming the religious aspect is important to the process (which is supposedly is). And in a lot of cases AA just brings people with huge problems together and they get in a lot of trouble with one another sometimes.
    All that said, my grandfather was an alcoholic for decades, and he went down to the States to a Betty Ford clinic and did kick the addiction - he never drank again (although a powerful addiction to 3 packs of Camels a day killed him anyhow, eventually... No condolences necessary though - he was actually an asshole and a crappy husband, father, and grandfather, even when sober).
    The statics you quoted were similar to the one I was seeing.  I'm glad you mentioned the religious aspect.  That's a lot of smoking, one after the other almost...and thanks for being honest.

My brother was a good guy ... just couldn't sit drinking.
    Give Peas A Chance…