Options

The AMT Marijuana Thread

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,820
    it's amazing to me that more people don't cure their insomnia this way. it is such an easy and completely safe way to go to sleep. 

when i was going through my intense anxiety a few years back, suffering from severe insomnia as a result, it never even dawned on me to do this. I've been smoking weed since I was 14, but I still never thought of it. and i was DESPERATE. doc gave me Rx for sleeping pills, which I was terrified of taking. eventually I did, and after a week of getting back to regular sleep patterns, I stopped using them. I still have a full pill bottle of them. he gave me an Rx for like 3 months worth. that could have gotten me addicted, EASILY. And sleeping pill addiction is scarey common. 

and yet, because the Rx industry can't make a profit from it, doctors rarely prescribe cannabis for anything. the system is so fucking corrupt. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Here is what happening in the clusterfuck known as Ontario.  When the feds passed the legislation to legalize it the Ontario Liberal government was in the last year of their 4 year mandate, and it was a foregone conclusion that they were going to lose the election (they were crushed and left with only 7 seats).  The Liberals proposed another government monopoly called The Ontario Cannabis Stores...we elect a conservative government and they decided Cannabis was going to be sold by the private sector (my preferred choice).  No Cannabis stores will be open until April 1, only 25 licences will be available initially (because other areas of the country face shortages).  Now here is where the bullshit starts, the legislation gives municipalities the option to opt-out of hosting Cannabis stores and can opt-in at any time.  The licences initially are only available to a city with a population over 50 thousand, 1 city in my area (Windsor) that can host, the mayor wants to opt-out.  One municipality in my entire county so far has opted-in (Leamington, which is also home to one Canada's largest Cannabis suppliers).  So if the rules stay in place there will be no physical stores in my area.

To be quite honest, this is quite shocking that we have so many dinosaur politicians here.  This part of Ontario  has a plethora of liberal politicians opposed to cannabis, not very liberal if you ask me.

The black market is now stronger than ever, I can have weed delivered to my door in 2 hours.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Here is what happening in the clusterfuck known as Ontario.  When the feds passed the legislation to legalize it the Ontario Liberal government was in the last year of their 4 year mandate, and it was a foregone conclusion that they were going to lose the election (they were crushed and left with only 7 seats).  The Liberals proposed another government monopoly called The Ontario Cannabis Stores...we elect a conservative government and they decided Cannabis was going to be sold by the private sector (my preferred choice).  No Cannabis stores will be open until April 1, only 25 licences will be available initially (because other areas of the country face shortages).  Now here is where the bullshit starts, the legislation gives municipalities the option to opt-out of hosting Cannabis stores and can opt-in at any time.  The licences initially are only available to a city with a population over 50 thousand, 1 city in my area (Windsor) that can host, the mayor wants to opt-out.  One municipality in my entire county so far has opted-in (Leamington, which is also home to one Canada's largest Cannabis suppliers).  So if the rules stay in place there will be no physical stores in my area.

To be quite honest, this is quite shocking that we have so many dinosaur politicians here.  This part of Ontario  has a plethora of liberal politicians opposed to cannabis, not very liberal if you ask me.

The black market is now stronger than ever, I can have weed delivered to my door in 2 hours.

how is it in any way shocking? a good portion of conservatives didn't want it legalized. so why would it be a surprise they don't want to allow stores to operate in their constituency?

in manitoba, there are several surrounding towns that were still dry into the 2000's. they are only now starting to loosen their liquor laws to allow restaurants to serve. 

you can easily get weed online through the mail now, so I don't really see the issue. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

how is it in any way shocking? a good portion of conservatives didn't want it legalized. so why would it be a surprise they don't want to allow stores to operate in their constituency?

in manitoba, there are several surrounding towns that were still dry into the 2000's. they are only now starting to loosen their liquor laws to allow restaurants to serve. 

you can easily get weed online through the mail now, so I don't really see the issue. 
    Did you miss the part where I said this area is home to a plethora of liberal politicians? The only area where conservative MP/MPP can win opted-in. 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    In Ontario, none of the 3 parties were opposed to legalization that I'm aware of...if any were, they certainly weren't stomping their feet about.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Did you miss the part where I said this area is home to a plethora of liberal politicians? The only area where conservative MP/MPP can win opted-in. 
    I did miss it, actually. my apologies. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

It's no problem.  Even Andrew Sheer has stepped back and appears OK with it.  I think in Ontario the LCBO could sell some weed until the physical stores are readily available.  You do not need a lot of space.  We had an illegal dispensary in town and they had about 30 different choices of bud in a very small area and were doing a robust business until the cops shut them down.  I'm somewhat retired, but am considering applying for a licence to open a store at some point...after I saw the set-up of this dispensary, they did not invest much to start-up, most of their money went to buying weed.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

It's no problem.  Even Andrew Sheer has stepped back and appears OK with it.  I think in Ontario the LCBO could sell some weed until the physical stores are readily available.  You do not need a lot of space.  We had an illegal dispensary in town and they had about 30 different choices of bud in a very small area and were doing a robust business until the cops shut them down.  I'm somewhat retired, but am considering applying for a licence to open a store at some point...after I saw the set-up of this dispensary, they did not invest much to start-up, most of their money went to buying weed.

I would imagine getting a license would be pretty difficult. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

I would imagine getting a license would be pretty difficult. 
    I have not looked into the rules for getting a licence, other than the government has made it pretty clear that if you are operating an illegal dispensary after October 17th and have a criminal record, you will not be eligible for a license.  And so far most of my county is going to initially opt-out.  So I do not anticipate needing to really look into for a while, the rules keep changing as well.  Most likely because it's trial and error at this point.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,524
    edited December 2018
    I didn't know "counties" existed anywhere in Canada. I thought that was an American thing. Huh. Ontario always seems rather America-like to me - more so all the time.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    quebec and the maritimes do as well. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I have never had that impression. Why do you say that, out of curiosity/interest?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I didn't know "counties" existed anywhere in Canada. I thought that was an American thing. Huh. Ontario always seems rather America-like to me - more so all the time.
    How does BC decide how the electoral boundaries...

And we are not all that much like the States.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

I meant the actual word "counties". I never heard any Canadian calling electoral districts that in my whole life, until now. I've only heard the term used as it applies in the USA.
    I think Ontario is a whole lot more like the States than the rest of Canada, just from the overall perspective of someone outside of it and looking in. This is not an uncommon opinion FYI, though it is a rather vague and conceptual one, but nonetheless understood by those who aren't from the province, from what I can tell. It's almost like some overall vibe, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I have never had that impression. Why do you say that, out of curiosity/interest?
    they have counties as well is what i was saying. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I meant the actual word "counties". I never heard any Canadian calling electoral districts that in my whole life, until now. I've only heard the term used as it applies in the USA.
    I think Ontario is a whole lot more like the States than the rest of Canada, just from the overall perspective of someone outside of it and looking in. This is not an uncommon opinion FYI, though it is a rather vague and conceptual one, but nonetheless understood by those who aren't from the province, from what I can tell. It's almost like some overall vibe, lol.
    I think it's more just Toronto than the entire province. I don't get that feeling anywhere but there. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited December 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    they have counties as well is what i was saying. 
    Oooh. I thought you meant people view them as seeming oddly more American-like in general.
    Anyway, weird. I have literally never heard that term used by anyone in general for Canada, not on the news or anything. I had no idea it was an actual thing anywhere in the country.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Options
    Well, that's how we roll in Ontario...with our counties.  LOL  If we all that much like Americans we would never have elected an NDP government or re-elected the recently defeated liberals.  Alberta is the one province that is more like the US than any other province.  

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
  • Options
    wow, awesome. i didn't know that this was even coming. i thought edibles were too unpredictable with dosage to be for sale to the public. but i admittedly don't know much aboot it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    wow, awesome. i didn't know that this was even coming. i thought edibles were too unpredictable with dosage to be for sale to the public. but i admittedly don't know much aboot it. 
    I believe the liberals plan was to allow edibles within a year after legalization.  So it looks like they are following through on the plan.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822
    No, I think the commercial products are pretty exact with dosage in the unit that they are selling; the issue is more how the consumer takes them, and understanding the timeline of effect. 

A major issue is going to be packaging that doesn’t look like it’s marketing to kids, of course. 

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    No, I think the commercial products are pretty exact with dosage in the unit that they are selling; the issue is more how the consumer takes them, and understanding the timeline of effect. 

A major issue is going to be packaging that doesn’t look like it’s marketing to kids, of course. 

everyone I know who makes cookies at home tells me it's impossible to know which cookie has which amount, so that's where my assumption came from. obviously, now that I think about it, you can control this in a controlled setting. 

I've only had edilbes twice, just this past summer, so this is all new to me. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,822

everyone I know who makes cookies at home tells me it's impossible to know which cookie has which amount, so that's where my assumption came from. obviously, now that I think about it, you can control this in a controlled setting. 

Home baking, sure, that would be true. A commercial/pharmaceutical grade facility can and needs to do this.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

Home baking, sure, that would be true. A commercial/pharmaceutical grade facility can and needs to do this.
    I'm excited for it!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303

I'm excited for it!
    I've been buying professionally made edibles for a couple of years. They are great.

https://www.motacannabisproducts.ca/
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Apologies to our Canadian friends for US morality warriors. Prohibitionists are idiots. We welcome you to come to any of our 11 recreational weed friendly states if you can get across the border. 

CANADA WARNS CITIZENS TO USE CASH TO PURCHASE LEGAL WEED SO THEY DON’T GET DENIED ENTRY TO THE U.S.

"I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options

I'm excited for it!
    I tried edibles last summer, I'm still on the fence.  Mine I suspect was cooked up in someone's kitchen.  I am going to order from that link.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

I'm excited for it!
    I tried edibles last summer, I'm still on the fence.  Mine I suspect was cooked up in someone's kitchen.  I am going to order from that link.
    I had cookies on two occasions from two different sources. both times: LOVED IT
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    jeffbr said:
    Apologies to our Canadian friends for US morality warriors. Prohibitionists are idiots. We welcome you to come to any of our 11 recreational weed friendly states if you can get across the border. 

CANADA WARNS CITIZENS TO USE CASH TO PURCHASE LEGAL WEED SO THEY DON’T GET DENIED ENTRY TO THE U.S.

I think one of the most troubling things about this is it seems to be common knowledge that US border security can easily obtain my credit card records? what the fuck?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com