Something about teacher's pay...

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Oh and my bad, I am $63.5 this year and my wife is at $69. What I said was next years salaries. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    mcgruff10 said:
    Oh and my bad, I am $63.5 this year and my wife is at $69. What I said was next years salaries. 
    There are a lot of people in this country, and a few on here, who believe that you and your wife are overpaid and underworked.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    How much does a teacher make per month in the US on average - a teacher for 16-19 year olds. What we call the gymnasium, and I guess you call college?
    I am on step 14 in my district (teaching 17 years overall but they didn't take any of my years) and make just under $70,000. My wife in on step 15 (19 years overall and same thing) and makes $73k.  It depends on the district and state.    After 21 years I'll "top" out making around $102k.  We both teach 8th grade across the hall from each other lol.  
    And how much do you get "in your pocket" after taxes every year?
    Right around $40k.  just about $2,000 a pay....$4000/month x10 months.
    Wait, do I count that correctly - you have like 42 % income tax? 30.000/70.000 = 0,42. Or is my math off...
    Union dues, health insurance, disability, federal/State taxes, 403b contributions (voluntary retirement. Like a 401k), family coverage tax, etc
    Hmm. Okey, well... over here we don't pay our union/unemployment insurance charges on our taxes. 

But my friend, who's a teacher for 16-19 year olds (gymnasium) gets 37.000SEK a month ($4200). So thats $ 50.000 a year. But the income tax here is roughly 25% so that leaves him with $ 37.500. Then if you count the union-things I guess that's like $60 a months maybe... so a bit under $ 37.000 a year. Pretty similar in the end.

Interesting.
    Wait, so you’re saying that the total tax rate in Sweden is less than what the amaricans are paying? I’m assuming, so correct me if I’m wrong, that you aren’t paying extra for your health care or other such expenses? 

This is interesting, given that one of the big arguments made in the US against socialized health care is that it would lead to massive tax increases.

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    How much does a teacher make per month in the US on average - a teacher for 16-19 year olds. What we call the gymnasium, and I guess you call college?
    I am on step 14 in my district (teaching 17 years overall but they didn't take any of my years) and make just under $70,000. My wife in on step 15 (19 years overall and same thing) and makes $73k.  It depends on the district and state.    After 21 years I'll "top" out making around $102k.  We both teach 8th grade across the hall from each other lol.  
    Wait, do I count that correctly - you have like 42 % income tax? 30.000/70.000 = 0,42. Or is my math off...
    Union dues, health insurance, disability, federal/State taxes, 403b contributions (voluntary retirement. Like a 401k), family coverage tax, etc
    Hmm. Okey, well... over here we don't pay our union/unemployment insurance charges on our taxes. 

But my friend, who's a teacher for 16-19 year olds (gymnasium) gets 37.000SEK a month ($4200). So thats $ 50.000 a year. But the income tax here is roughly 25% so that leaves him with $ 37.500. Then if you count the union-things I guess that's like $60 a months maybe... so a bit under $ 37.000 a year. Pretty similar in the end.

Interesting.
    Wait, so you’re saying that the total tax rate in Sweden is less than what the amaricans are paying? I’m assuming, so correct me if I’m wrong, that you aren’t paying extra for your health care or other such expenses? 

This is interesting, given that one of the big arguments made in the US against socialized health care is that it would lead to massive tax increases.

Before we make any assumptions let My check my paycheck. I haven’t had a physical paycheck in years so I will check online when I get home. 

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,867
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Interesting.

Yes. Roughly 25 % but it depends on where you live.

And yes, we have tax paid healthcare, tax paid schools (including school lunches) etc.

If you earn more than something like $50k a year you pay an extra 20 % (I think) on the amount being above that limit.

But we also have 25% VAT on goods, 12% VAT on food and hotels and 6% VAT on newspapers/concerts/museums. Im guessing you have a lowers VAT on things. And in general lower prices.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
    mcgruff10 said:
    There are a lot of people in this country, and a few on here, who believe that you and your wife are overpaid and underworked.
    Absolutely.  I d love for them to teach just one week and see if their opinion changes. If you suck these kids will eat you alive lol. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Absolutely.  I d love for them to teach just one week and see if their opinion changes. If you suck these kids will eat you alive lol. 
    Of course those kids will eat you alive.
    They'e been in the govt. indoctrination centers, I mean public schools, being brainwashed 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    They'e been in the govt. indoctrination centers, I mean public schools, being brainwashed 
    Hey there hippie!
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    $70k and $73k for 9 months of work - that's pretty good if you ask me.
    After 14 and 15 years of work? What is your profession and salary?

"My brain's a good brain!"
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is college, not middle school lol. 
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    That is college, not middle school lol. 
    Not according to the person on here who stayed that there will be no more public  schools in 20 years.

But yes those damn college brainwash the hell out of those elites
  • Thirty Bills UnpaidThirty Bills Unpaid Posts: 16,881
    edited June 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    After 14 and 15 years of work? What is your profession and salary?

• pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did you care to answer Scruffy's questions regarding your profession and salary?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    I spent 25 years in maintenance for a school board ... teachers have my respect.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    I spent 25 years in maintenance for a school board ... teachers have my respect.
    We must use different lingo here.  What is involved in  maintenance for a school board?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Brian schools are old.  They need lots of repairs.  Never discount the importance of good custodians and secretaries.  I sometimes always wondered if schools could function without those positions.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Brian schools are old.  They need lots of repairs.  Never discount the importance of good custodians and secretaries.  I sometimes always wondered if schools could function without those positions.
    Ah, yes!  When I was in elementary school my favorite adult was not any of the 6 teachers I had over the years (though some were good) nor the two principles or the nurse or the secretary.  No, my favorite adult was the custodian (he referred to himself as the janitor).  His name was Mr.  Billwax.  He was kind, wise, handy as hell, funny and always took time to talk to us kids. 

I'm used to thinking of school board as people a group of people who do the hiring, set school policy, plan events, etc.  So I was thinking, how do you maintain a group like that.  Ah, but you mean maintaining the school itself.  Yes, that is an essential and good job.  Bravo and good work!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

brianlux said:
    Ah, yes!  When I was in elementary school my favorite adult was not any of the 6 teachers I had over the years (though some were good) nor the two principles or the nurse or the secretary.  No, my favorite adult was the custodian (he referred to himself as the janitor).  His name was Mr.  Billwax.  He was kind, wise, handy as hell, funny and always took time to talk to us kids. 

I'm used to thinking of school board as people a group of people who do the hiring, set school policy, plan events, etc.  So I was thinking, how do you maintain a group like that.  Ah, but you mean maintaining the school itself.  Yes, that is an essential and good job.  Bravo and good work!
    Yup, the custodians are good people.  It's not easy work.  Many people think it is.  Same as secretaries ... every job within schools are important ... 
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Thats what I want to acknowledge is that schools need every position working well to benefit the children...
    Give Peas A Chance…
    Thats what I want to acknowledge is that schools need every position working well to benefit the children...
    100% true. I also thought that you were a board member in charge of custodians.  Lol. Congrats on a nice career!
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    School is for fools
    Jason P said:
    School is for fools
    You learn more from playing Final Fantasy?
    Jason P said:
    School is for fools
    I learned the secret of mana. 
    Jason P said:
    Jason P said:
    School is for fools
    I learned the secret of mana. 
    Hehe. Well, wait till you'll hear about the legend of Zelda.
    Final Fantasy took me on an airship to the moon for an epic battle against evil.  School gave me government cheese and wedgies. 
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Hey, government cheese was good. Wedgies not so much.
    What the heck is government cheese?
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Did you care to answer Scruffy's questions regarding your profession and salary?
    Del, I don't think he's gonna answer.
  • OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
  • mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Del, I don't think he's gonna answer.
    I figured. Took a cheap shot and ran.