Options

Something about teacher's pay...

1192021222325»

Comments

• Options
    ecdancecdanc Posts: 1,814
    ecdanc said:
    So we took this long to figure out what we already knew? You’re a communist. Cool. What a waste of time.

(where do you live/teach anyhow? No need to be specific...US? What state?)
    What do you do?
    I work in HSE for manufacturing. Ironically you’d probably like the work I do ;)
    Not as much as I like teachers!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,000
    edited February 2020
    My job(s) beat all of yours. Because I have taxfunded healthcare. We have paid parental leave. We have paid vacation. People get to eat lunch. Etc.  
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,106
    cincybearcat said:

But I would say that your statement assumes that work is not actually enjoyable for some people. ;)
    ?
    Some people like working...they enjoy their work. If the only goal is to work as little as possible and go home then less hours are always good. But some people enjoy their work and get fulfillment from it
    8 hours work hours I would guess in the modern world is quite the standard (40h/ week)(?)... having breaks isn't about "not wanting to work".

And working 9 to 5 without a break, in what way is that working more than 8 to 5 with a lunch break? 
    Ok, I didn’t think I needed to say this. I used “9-5” to describe work...there is very likely hardy anyone that works those hours. It was a specific hour example. 

How about try 7-5 or 730-630, or sometimes 7-7....
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    So we took this long to figure out what we already knew? You’re a communist. Cool. What a waste of time.

What do you do?
    I work in HSE for manufacturing. Ironically you’d probably like the work I do ;)
    Perhaps, I do a lot of training if others though!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

What do you do?
    Do you have to deal with their parents?
  • Options
    cincybearcat said:

But I would say that your statement assumes that work is not actually enjoyable for some people. ;)
    ?
    Some people like working...they enjoy their work. If the only goal is to work as little as possible and go home then less hours are always good. But some people enjoy their work and get fulfillment from it
    8 hours work hours I would guess in the modern world is quite the standard (40h/ week)(?)... having breaks isn't about "not wanting to work".

And working 9 to 5 without a break, in what way is that working more than 8 to 5 with a lunch break? 
    Ok, I didn’t think I needed to say this. I used “9-5” to describe work...there is very likely hardy anyone that works those hours. It was a specific hour example. 

How about try 7-5 or 730-630, or sometimes 7-7....
    Well, 8-5 is actually a standard (here) for how people work. So how was I to know "9-5" wasn't in the US. Hah.

And having 40 hour work weeks (with from googling seems to be a standard even in the US) doesn't say you don't love your job. But there is something called work-life-balance, resting up and taking care of other things in life (Children etc).

I though, work two jobs and more than 40 hours. Because I enjoy it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

What do you do?
    Hahaha, actually I do sometimes. But not like teachers do. But I didn’t think that was what determines their value in your equation 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

What do you do?
    Hahaha, actually I do sometimes. But not like teachers do. But I didn’t think that was what determines their value in your equation 
    I contain multitudes. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    My job(s) beat all of yours. Because I have taxfunded healthcare. We have paid parental leave. We have paid vacation. People get to eat lunch. Etc.  
    That is pretty sweet - good for you.

Not sure how that makes your job any better than anyone else's?

I'd bet that many people here also like their jobs.  
    If I make 5x what you do then I can afford vacations and healthcare and whatever else I want.
    Your job still might be way better, you might love it more than anything.

Only to say that benefits and pay does not make the job better, necessarily.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    That is pretty sweet - good for you.

Not sure how that makes your job any better than anyone else's?

I'd bet that many people here also like their jobs.  
    If I make 5x what you do then I can afford vacations and healthcare and whatever else I want.
    Your job still might be way better, you might love it more than anything.

Only to say that benefits and pay does not make the job better, necessarily.
    thats the joke
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,623
    Okey
  • Options

since I answered you Ecdanc, how come you haven’t answered me?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    He said Kansas
  • Options
    He said Kansas
    Ah shit I missed it. Thanks!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options

Exasperating. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    edited February 2020
    He said Kansas
    What s the matter with Kansas?  Greatest political book I ever read. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Carry on my wayward son
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was thinking Toto (not the godawful band).  
  • Options
    ecdanc said:

Exasperating. 
    So in between your insults of me I missed a post. Sorry. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    ecdanc said:

Exasperating. 
    You posted an accusatory followup without bothering to go back and look. True to your pattern. 
    Post edited by ecdanc on
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Exasperating. 
    You posted an accusatory followup without bothering to go back and look. True to your pattern. 
    I posted a question. I also didn’t see you being an asshole to me, missed that post as well. 
    You can click back to previous pages. It’s not hard. 
  • Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Exasperating. 
    I posted a question. I also didn’t see you being an asshole to me, missed that post as well. 
    You can click back to previous pages. It’s not hard. 
    Tough to go through all your stuff. But thanks for the tip. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    A big percentage of the board is a square off between two people.
    It is so interesting.  (Not really.)
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,878
    edited February 2020
    The ignore feature is wonderful.  I really appreciate and learn from people who have opposite viewpoints from me but some people are just not worth responding to. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    The ignore feature is wonderful.  I really appreciate and learn from people who have opposite viewpoints from me but some people are just not worth responding to. 
    Maybe you find it scary, when some people show that you are not in Kansas anymore?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Exasperating. 
    why even bother with this guy, cincy? you know it's going to be nothing but "higher education" bullshit and "scholarly" insults, right? just ignore and move on. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    mcgruff10 said:
    Maybe you find it scary, when some people show that you are not in Kansas anymore?
    no, some people just feel the need to go on the internet and show everyone how inadequate they feel. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ecdanc said:
    ecdanc said:

Exasperating. 
    why even bother with this guy, cincy? you know it's going to be nothing but "higher education" bullshit and "scholarly" insults, right? just ignore and move on. 
    Yup.  Done. you are right and I went too long.
    hippiemom = goodness