No more war, no more hate.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
Neil young said that and I agree.  I'm old, I'm cranky and I'm tired of this war and fighting bullshit.  Are you with me?  Have you had it with this crap?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azlr8By0lFw

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    Im With you
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Yes I’m done but as long as our government stands with Israel in that region there won’t be peace , we can’t be taking sides anymore and if we’re on that side we are wrong...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    I agree
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    agreed, an overwhelming sense of sadness today over this......
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    Nami said:
    Yes, Nami, sadness, worry, anger, frustration, and for me utter disillusionment with any hope of humanity learning how to deal with it's problems in a civilized, rational, logical manner. 

And lets not forget that all this war is an assault on the planet itself.  Nature take a brutal beating as well.  It's not just about us.

Are we a hopelessly violent and suicidal species?  Will we ever learn?

Sorry for all the negativity friends.  I wish rather than just venting there was something I (all of us) could do to change the course of history and turn our direction away from self-destruction and destruction of the planet.  I'm open to suggestions. 

I'm also late for work.  See ya'll later.

• polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    it is with the hope of peace, the end of suffering and the end of aggression that I side with Syria ... it is why both the US Peace Council and Canadian Peace Congress also support Syria
  • NamiNami Newfoundland Posts: 5,989
    True words spoken Brian, its what we all want! Peace brothers and sisters!
    Hamilton 9-13-05; Toronto 5-9-06, Toronto 8-21-09, Toronto 9-12-11, Hamilton 9-15-11....
    polaris_x said:
    it is with the hope of peace, the end of suffering and the end of aggression that I side with Syria ... it is why both the US Peace Council and Canadian Peace Congress also support Syria
    Sneaking in here on a work break...

How do you mean "support Syria"?  It's such a fractured place with so many factions.

PEACE.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Peace for all nations. 
    Thats what I’d love to see, but greed takes over...profitability...ROI...

It is disgraceful that the lives that are lost are forgotten by those that drive these profit hungry machines. I fight for the next step, but so many turn a blind eye to the latest atrocity. 

My dad always said that tomorrow is a new day. And I agree with that...I’ll put my hope in tomorrow. Be well, all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    Peace for all nations. 
    Thats what I’d love to see, but greed takes over...profitability...ROI...

It is disgraceful that the lives that are lost are forgotten by those that drive these profit hungry machines. I fight for the next step, but so many turn a blind eye to the latest atrocity. 

My dad always said that tomorrow is a new day. And I agree with that...I’ll put my hope in tomorrow. Be well, all.
    That's perfect mfc, thank you!

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:
    Yes, Nami, sadness, worry, anger, frustration, and for me utter disillusionment with any hope of humanity learning how to deal with it's problems in a civilized, rational, logical manner. 

And lets not forget that all this war is an assault on the planet itself.  Nature take a brutal beating as well.  It's not just about us.

Sorry for all the negativity friends.  I wish rather than just venting there was something I (all of us) could do to change the course of history and turn our direction away from self-destruction and destruction of the planet.  I'm open to suggestions. 

This is from of the funky bands from the 70's.....WAR.

This one is called....Peace Sign.

If the Bloods & the Crips can call a truce from time to time then surely our government can do the same ALL the time. Greathoughts coming up with this thread Brian.

https://youtu.be/DLkaduE_wGs

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:

I think we are hopelessly violent. Has there ever been a time in history when all of the world leaders were willing to place peace above their own ambitions? Going back thousands of years that has never happened that I can think of.
    some of the worst world leaders will only be stopped when forced to, making war a necessary evil that will exist for as long as humans live on this planet.
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:

I think we are hopelessly violent. Has there ever been a time in history when all of the world leaders were willing to place peace above their own ambitions? Going back thousands of years that has never happened that I can think of.
    some of the worst world leaders will only be stopped when forced to, making war a necessary evil that will exist for as long as humans live on this planet.
    It's hard not to agree with what you say here, Mace.  The evidence is strongly in favor or it.  Yet there have been periods of peace throughout human history.  Many Native American tribes (not all) were at peace before European Continental Conquest and when they did have skirmished, they often involved counting coup rather than killing or injuring their rivals.   I've also read that Japan had a period of peace that lasted 700 years.

My argument for peace rest on the idea that we have the intelligence to work together without warring.  We have the ability to communicate world-wide and share our cultures and interests.  The only thing we lack is the willingness to get along and I believe willingness comes through believing in something rather than say, "No, it will never happen."   I continue to have the hope that we can achieve peace.  That hope is based on doing what makes sense and it makes sense to work toward peace. Is it an uphill struggle?  Yes.  It the struggle worth it?  I believe so.  Please consider joining that effort.

We are a young country that has learned to use bullying, tantrums, and violence to achieve our goals (if goals are even a factor).  But there is a better way and that way is peace.  And one way to look at achieving peace is through strategy.  The  strategy of war.  That's right.  This is what Sea Shepherds do to save marine life.  Their actions are base firmly in Sun Tzu's Art of War  AND their number one rule is DO NO HARM TO ANY HUMANS.  Strategy for peace.  Makes good sense to me. 

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,368
    brianlux said:
    We are a young country that has learned to use bullying, tantrums, and violence to achieve our goals (if goals are even a factor).  But there is a better way and that way is peace.  And one way to look at achieving peace is through strategy.  The  strategy of war.  That's right.  This is what Sea Shepherds do to save marine life.  Their actions are base firmly in Sun Tzu's Art of War  AND their number one rule is DO NO HARM TO ANY HUMANS.  Strategy for peace.  Makes good sense to me. 

Unfortunately, peace is boring. It isn’t attractive enough to be attained.
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited April 2018
    brianlux said:

Unfortunately, peace is boring. It isn’t attractive enough to be attained.
    Yes, it might appear so.  But, OK, for anyone who thinks peace is boring I would recommend they read Bill Zimmerman's book Troublemaker: A Memoir from the Front Lines of the Sixties and watch the documentary Pirate for the Sea.  Seeking  peace can be anything but boring.  Besides which, to my way of thinking,  people who are easily bored probably need help that lies outside this discussion. 

Edit:  let's add to that, have these bored people go see a Pearl Jam  or Neil Young (or any other great musician or band that supports peace) and then ask them if that was boring.  "Boring" is one of the worst excuses for not having peace I've ever heard.
    Post edited by brianlux on

• RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited April 2018
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:

It's hard not to agree with what you say here, Mace.  The evidence is strongly in favor or it.  Yet there have been periods of peace throughout human history.  Many Native American tribes (not all) were at peace before European Continental Conquest and when they did have skirmished, they often involved counting coup rather than killing or injuring their rivals.   I've also read that Japan had a period of peace that lasted 700 years.

My argument for peace rest on the idea that we have the intelligence to work together without warring.  We have the ability to communicate world-wide and share our cultures and interests.  The only thing we lack is the willingness to get along and I believe willingness comes through believing in something rather than say, "No, it will never happen."   I continue to have the hope that we can achieve peace.  That hope is based on doing what makes sense and it makes sense to work toward peace. Is it an uphill struggle?  Yes.  It the struggle worth it?  I believe so.  Please consider joining that effort.
    Yeah, it is to bad that some of these Rogue regimes aren't interested in listening to Neil Young, or give a damn about our peace signs, art, good books, good coffee, good tea, good booze & good ideas, & good friendships.
    I would love for there to be peace too, but we have got these powerful men around the world that like to carry out atrocities.
    They can't just have free reign can they?? to do whatever they want??  
    What should we do about these few but powerful brutal men?  Take them to a few rock concerts?  Line up a few Lollapalooza, style shows in they're part of the world and hope that the brutal dictators attend, & come out with a change of heart?
      These bad dudes have been around since the beginning of time it seems, never letting the world find it's bearings, peace, or space.
    It seems like there are only a few months of peace in between the years of war.  
    We want peace, they want power & control & they will do anything to achieve it.  They're stomachs do not flinch at the sight of suffering.  They thrive on it.  The definition of evil.
    Does anyone think that bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Stalin, Bashar al-Assad, Kim Jong-un, & the list goes on, are interested in smoking a J and getting along with us all & listening to good music?  It's too bad these regimes aren't into Neil Young, Joan Baez, Crosby Stills and Nash, Pearl Jam, the Grateful Dead, Phish, smoke a J, have a drink with us & we all get along enjoying piece & each other's company.   
    Unfortunately they don't see it that way.  They keep perpetually stirring the pot so that there is no peace, just pain and Untold sufferings, that is unfortunately they're goal.
    We could just cave in and let them have everything they want, and they would just continue to disrupt the peace, and continue to commit human atrosities.
    Don't take this the wrong way, I want peace and no more war, I just don't see how that is possible when you have these regimes around the world that have no regard for human life.
    I'm not at all trying to be flip.
    But we have to have some reality here.
    Bad dudes don't care about what we want.  I don't think they can all be eliminated.  We just got to keep them at bay, beat them back a bit, I'm talking about the bad dudes.
    There isn't a perfect solution.
    Unfortunatly being old & cranky & tired of war bullshit isn't going to stop it.
    I agree Brian, It's depressing. 

Post edited by RYME on
    RYME said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:

Yeah, it is to bad that some of these Rogue regimes aren't interested in listening to Neil Young, or give a damn about our peace signs, art, good books, good coffee, good tea, good booze & good ideas, & good friendships.
    I would love for there to be peace too, but we have got these powerful men around the world that like to carry out atrocities.
    They can't just have free reign can they?? to do whatever they want??  
    What should we do about these few but powerful brutal men?  Take them to a few rock concerts?  Line up a few Lollapalooza, style shows in they're part of the world and hope that the brutal dictators attend, & come out with a change of heart?
      These bad dudes have been around since the beginning of time it seems, never letting the world find it's bearings, peace, or space.
    It seems like there are only a few months of peace in between the years of war.  
    We want peace, they want power & control & they will do anything to achieve it.  They're stomachs do not flinch at the sight of suffering.  They thrive on it.  The definition of evil.
    Does anyone think that bin Laden, Saddam Hussein, Hitler, Stalin, Bashar al-Assad, Kim Jong-un, & the list goes on, are interested in smoking a J and getting along with us all & listening to good music?  It's too bad these regimes aren't into Neil Young, Joan Baez, Crosby Stills and Nash, Pearl Jam, the Grateful Dead, Phish, smoke a J, have a drink with us & we all get along enjoying piece & each other's company.   
    Unfortunately they don't see it that way.  They keep perpetually stirring the pot so that there is no peace, just pain and Untold sufferings, that is unfortunately they're goal.
    We could just cave in and let them have everything they want, and they would just continue to disrupt the peace, and continue to commit human atrosities.
    Don't take this the wrong way, I want peace and no more war, I just don't see how that is possible when you have these regimes around the world that have no regard for human life.
    I'm not at all trying to be flip.
    But we have to have some reality here.
    Bad dudes don't care about what we want.  I don't think they can all be eliminated.  We just got to keep them at bay, beat them back a bit, I'm talking about the bad dudes.
    There isn't a perfect solution.
    It's depressing I agree.

we have got these powerful men around the world that like to carry out atrocities

And some of them are American, RYME. 

Using strategy for peace is anything but caving in to anyone.

No, RYME, I don't think you are being flip.  But think of the (now) old adage:  Doing the same thing over and over again that does not work is the definition of "crazy".  War is crazy.  We need smart people versed studied in the kind of strategies laid down by Sun Tzu and Miyamoto Musashi to wage peace.  If we have the will and the commitment to do it, it can be done.  All this talk about "the apocalypse", "the end is near", "we're screwed" (and most of us have done this- I have) gets us nowhere.  Yes, we are on the brink.  It's time to stop fooling ourselves with thinking violent war is accomplishing anything and start looking for reasonable, logical, intelligent options to endless war. 

• mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,408
    the sad reality is, as long as at least 2 human beings walk this earth, there will be conflict.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited April 2018
    We definitely have a super corrupt American government on the right & on left that's for sure.  
    However, I don't think American leadership (Republicans or Democrats) are carrying out human atrocities nowadays.  They have in the past, check out Andrew Jackson.
    Nowadays, some are drawing red lines in the sand that get ignored, while others bomb to quickly without exhausting every effort before hand.
    Yes I agree that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results = insanity.
    Strategizing for peace would be great if it would work!!
    I hope you don't think that I am war happy somehow, or don't take it very seriously. 
    I just think sometimes unfortunately it's unavoidable.  I think this most recent strike on Syria was premature.  At the same time we can't let al-Asside to  continue gassing his people can we??
    It's tough.

Peace through passiveness doesn't work any better than peace through over agressiveness ie bombing the shit out of...fill in the blank.
    And as far as peace through smarts goes, these people who like to obtain power via human suffering don't give a shit how many Degrees, DDs, PhDs, & BS'es people have behind the're name.
    I do agree with you on the notion that we are all sick & tired of this.  But that doesn't stop bad men from doing what they do, & when they cross that red line in the sand, something has to be done.  Simply ignoring it because we are tired of war leads to emboldened dictators, hence we can expect more of the same.
    The power struggle between good and evil rages on.

Post edited by RYME on
    mickeyrat said:
    the sad reality is, as long as at least 2 human beings walk this earth, there will be conflict.
    I know what your getting at Micky but... conflict?  Sure.  I love no one on this planet more than my wife and we have occasional conflicts.  But I have yet to call an air strike on her or blast her with napalm.  We work it out- conflict resolution.

RYME said:
    We definitely have a super corrupt American government on the right & on left that's for sure.  
    However, I don't think American leadership (Republicans or Democrats) are carrying out human atrocities nowadays.  They have in the past, check out Andrew Jackson.
    Nowadays, some are drawing red lines in the sand that get ignored, while others bomb to quickly without exhausting every effort before hand.
    Yes I agree that doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results = insanity.
    Strategizing for peace would be great if it would work!!
    I hope you don't think that I am war happy somehow, or don't take it very seriously. 
    I just think sometimes unfortunately it's unavoidable.  I think this most recent strike on Syria was premature.  At the same time we can't let al-Asside to  continue gassing his people can we??
    It's tough.

Peace through passiveness doesn't work any better than peace through over agressiveness ie bombing the shit out of...fill in the blank.
    And as far as peace through smarts goes, these people who like to obtain power via human suffering don't give a shit how many Degrees, DDs, PhDs, & BS'es people have behind the're name.
    I do agree with you on the notion that we are all sick & tired of this.  But that doesn't stop bad men from doing what they do, & when they cross that red line in the sand, something has to be done.  Simply ignoring it because we are tired of war leads to emboldened dictators, hence we can expect more of the same.
    The power struggle between good and evil rages on.

But who decides who is good and who is evil?  I have yet to see any side that is purely all good or all evil.  You don't think Americans have carried out human atrocities recently?  Oh my god- yeah we have, we surely have.  No doubt about that. 

Why do you say strategizing peace will not work when our society as a whole has not tried it.  It has worked in small ways though.  Peace activists help end the war in Vietnam.  Without them, that war would have lasted longer (read the Zimmerman book I mentioned.)

No, I don't think you are war happy. 

I don't believe a college degree is a necessity for waging peace.  But rather, commitment and a unified effort.  College degree does not always equate intelligence.  There are many brilliant people who never went far in school. 

I never ever said we should ignore evil.  Not at all.  But I don't believe evil is nullified by more evil or violence.  We have already proven that.

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,694
    brianlux said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I know what your getting at Micky but... conflict?  Sure.  I love no one on this planet more than my wife and we have occasional conflicts.  But I have yet to call an air strike on her or blast her with napalm.  We work it out- conflict resolution.
    Perfectly put brian. We can disagree but why must we fight. Love is the answer. Love and understanding. Simple
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,122
    THERE REALLY CAN BE NO PEACE WITHOUT JUSTICE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPzS8Y27Ks
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,425
    war is fun....for CNN and Fox
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    vaggar99 said:
    war is fun....for CNN and Fox
    MSNBC was talking today about how the missile attack was necessary and maybe didn’t go far enough 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • ConorKavanaghConorKavanagh Ireland Posts: 1,148
    War is just a business to the presidents as far as I can see. Each one seems to just get overwhelmed with the power, possibility once they ascend.
    Dublin 2006
    Dublin 2010
    Madrid 2018
    Werchter 2022
    London 1 2022
    London 2 2022
    Krakow 2022
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    brianlux said:

no blame on France and UK who also took part in the Syrian bombings?

Until there is no religion in the world there will never be peace.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Nami said:

No doubt that some dynasties/groups have managed to maintain peace for a prolonged period of time. I was thinking on a world, multi-national level though, it is impossible. While those Native Americans were at peace, how many wars in Europe were going on? And to be honest, how did that practice of only peace work out for them in the end.
    It requires 100% of the world's leaders to want peace in order for peace to exist. It takes 100% - 1 wanting peace for war to exist.

But while it is inevitable, I would agree we have a duty to not look for war. That list of wars someone posted with justified or not, many were not (or at least not worth the cost). I think we have stuck our noses in too many places for sure. But to expect only peace and not prepare for war is only inviting it.