Options

No more war, no more hate.

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    I proposed a democracy similar to Switzerland...

have they fallen apart apart by allowing their citizens more say?

i can guarantee you their education system is superior to the US and Canada’s...

I wouldn't make much of a case for Switzerland being ideal given their war profiteering from the holocaust. Sure it was profitable, but not moral. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,849
    School curriculum around the world is completely different. It s tough to compare. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    dignin said:

i can guarantee you their education system is superior to the US and Canada’s...

I wouldn't make much of a case for Switzerland being ideal given their war profiteering from the holocaust. Sure it was profitable, but not moral. 

No different to any other war...
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Not every war has a holocaust.
  • Options
    Just look at those three Psychopaths sitting together...Churchill...Stalin...Roosevelt...I just want to vomit...
  • Options
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Yeah I can’t think of another war where gas chambers and a series of concentration camps were built.  
    Workd war 2 is the deadliest war In history. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Well technically no...
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Well technically no...
    My point being that putting Switzerland and their "neutral" role as something we should aspire to is a bad idea.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

It's Anzac Day here next Week...and when I see these old Black and White footage of Soldiers jumping out of their Trenches to be killed...I just think wtf???...these so called People in Power should be held accountable...

I just want to be sick to the stomach when these People are killed to fight the dirty fucking wars these People in Power create...

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Well technically no...
    Well there was only one holocaust but not every war has a genocide. 

• Options
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Well technically no...
    Well there was only one holocaust but not every war has a genocide. 

Ok I understand...by the way I was referring to Profiteering of War...I do relise the Holocaust happened in WW2 because of the fucking sick Nazis...
    Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    If Switzerland made a Profit from the Holocaust then that is truly fucking sick! :(
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    i_lov_it said:
    dignin said:

Yeah I can’t think of another war where gas chambers and a series of concentration camps were built.  
    Workd war 2 is the deadliest war In history. 

Yep and pointless...so many innocent people being Killed just makes me so sad and I just want to throw up at how many people were killed...
  • Options
    I look at a lot of the old War Footage...WW2 and the Concentration Camps for example...I just cry no Human should be treated that way...
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    If Switzerland made a Profit from the Holocaust then that is truly fucking sick! :(
    "In 1996 and 1997, a series of class action lawsuits were filed in several United States federal courts against Swiss banks and other Swiss entities, alleging that financial institutions in Switzerland collaborated with and aided the Nazi Regime by knowingly retaining and concealing assets of Holocaust victims, and by accepting and laundering illegally obtained Nazi loot and profits of slave labor. All of the cases were consolidated in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York (“the Court”). The case was supervised by the Honorable Edward R. Korman, United States District Judge."

http://www.swissbankclaims.com/overview.aspx

Swiss Bank Holocaust Fund Paid Out $1.24 Billion For Survivors & Relatives, Magazine Reports

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/15/swiss-bank-holocaust-fund_n_3597359.html
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    It is amazing how much of this world's history people forgot about so soon. Yes, the US has some major issues, but these aren't isolated shitty actions by one country. It's also not really possible to compare how a country of 7 million governs compared to one of 325 million.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    i_lov_it said:
    Just look at those three Psychopaths sitting together...Churchill...Stalin...Roosevelt...I just want to vomit...
    FDR was a psychopath that makes you want to vomit?

You are seriously equating Churchill & Roosevelt to Stalin? 

• Options
    i_lov_it said:
    This is an idiotic statement.  I ll give you Stalin but not Churchill or Roosevelt. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    Well, here's another vote for FDR making one want to vomit. He was a racist asshole. His appointment of Hugo Black to the Supremes was a sure sign of that. Oh, and that little incident of rounding up American citizens and putting them in concentration camps due to the color of their skin and shape of their eyes might also be a dead giveaway. All without due process. No warrants. No trials. Fuck FDR. He destroyed a lot of lives of American citizens of Japanese ancestry and should be vilified rather than praised.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,232
    Jeff beat me to the punch on FDR and I'll just add that Churchill was just as psycho as Hitler and Stalin, he just happened to be on the right team and not drift to the dark side. Raging assholes can still accomplish great things and over time people will forget about some of their not so great moments in order to elevate their legacy.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    Well, here's another vote for FDR making one want to vomit. He was a racist asshole. His appointment of Hugo Black to the Supremes was a sure sign of that. Oh, and that little incident of rounding up American citizens and putting them in concentration camps due to the color of their skin and shape of their eyes might also be a dead giveaway. All without due process. No warrants. No trials. Fuck FDR. He destroyed a lot of lives of American citizens of Japanese ancestry and should be vilified rather than praised.
    Japanese internment Camps are Definitely one of the most embarrassing events in our countries history but I wouldn’t be call fdr a psychopath. Churchill is as psycho as the guy who Killed six million Jews and waged war on three continents while killing countless of millions  and the other guy who killed over 25 million of his own people?  Come
    on. 
  • Options
    Yeah, Churchill made some real unnecessary bombing civilian decisions. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,087
    edited April 2018

tbergs said:
    A direct democracy would be a direct disaster. 
    After-all your democracy is so great...
    It may not be perfect, but do you understand the issue of a direct democracy? Would you want your country to be direct democracy?
    I'd model my democracy after the Swiss, which is a mix of direct democracy.  I sure as hell think people who believe you are in a democracy because of a bunch of paper is bullshit...your democracy hides behind the right to bear arms bullshit because of a piece paper, especially when it was likely no one owned anything more powerful than a musket ... and by the time you got it loaded, you forgot why you mad and needed the gun.  
    The us is 282 times the size of Switzerland. 

Im not sayin Us is perfect, far from it. But I don’t think direct democracy would work in such a large country.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    edited April 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    I look at a lot of the old War Footage...WW2 and the Concentration Camps for example...I just cry no Human should be treated that way...
    Yes if the pictures from the concentration camps makes you sick they should,
    (Have you ever seen footage from the 1936 summer Olympics closing ceremonies?  Pretty damn scary.  There is a well-done documentary about that you should look it up and watch it)
     it should make us all sick.
    How about the events that took place in Syria last week?  I hope that made you sick as well. 
    How about the beheadings that Isis was doing?  By the way how is that JV team Isis doing these days? 
    If you don't have countries like the United States, & it's allies fighting back against these terrible tyrannical outfits, eventually they would rule the world.  Do you want that?
    All the peace signs in the world aren't going to stop these Mad Men.  Being sick and puking at the site of human atrocities hasn't done a damn thing to bring about peace.
    Bumper sticker politics have solved  absolutly nothing.  Slap a bumper sticker on your car, wear a t-shirt that says something cool and think you've done your part?  Does bumper sticker politics require any sacrifice or change of Lifestyle? 
    What finally brought Hitler to an end?  Did somebody send him a box of chocolates and a bouquet of flowers?  Did someone flash him the peace sign?  I don't think so.
    I don't like War any more than the rest,,, but if these evil regimes aren't put in their place with with strategic military force for time to time, they just get more & more embolden and do more.  If we don't do anything about a guy gassing his people what will happen?  Other fruit cakes will do the same thing, because they know nothing will be done about it. 
    Extreme evil only understands one language.
    I can coexist with people here who disagree with me, and we can still be buddies, but these crazy Mad Men around the world aren't going to stop because we are tired of it.

Post edited by RYME on
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    I believe that peace comes through strength & resolve, not passiveness.
    Not through chanting & waving signs in the streets.
  • Options
    Dirtie_FrankDirtie_Frank Posts: 1,348
    Switzerland is about the size of Maine. There is much more diversity and cultural difference throughout the US to compare the two.  
    96 Randall's Island II
    98 CAA
    00 Virginia Beach;Camden I; Jones Beach III
    05 Borgata Night I; Wachovia Center
    06 Letterman Show; Webcast (guy in blue shirt), Camden I; DC
    08 Camden I; Camden II; DC
    09 Phillie III
    10 MSG II
    13 Wrigley Field
    16 Phillie II
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,687
    benjs said:
    brianlux said:
    benjs said:
    benjs said:

Direct democracy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_democracy

We need to quit electing politicians to make decision for us.  I have no problems with the idiot politicians running the day business of government, all major policy initiative's should go to the people...especially compensation packages for said idiots.

When the self-serving outnumber the selfless, when the shortsighted outnumber the longsighted, when those who desire being right over being righteous, when the blissfully ignorant outnumber the saddened aware, when the class and resource and (most importantly) education imbalances already exist - all of which have proven to be the case - direct democracy would further catalyze our destruction. And between these human traits and our irreparable (and continuing) damage to the planet and to each other, it seems our destruction is already imminent.
    So basically it’s too late ? 
    Unless someone can give me some logical path to changing minds of the masses, I believe so.
    Maybe just one mind at a time?  I think every little thing we do to move in the right direction adds up.  Doing what makes sense is the only hope, no matter how small may seem.
    Brian, I regularly force myself to shift my perspective to match yours, and then I remember a saying from a colleague... hope is not a plan. I don't see how an apathetic/misinformed/uneducated global population can have this unified paradigm shift that lets us find our common goals - all before we destroy each other and/or our planet. I don't mean to spread doom and gloom, but I'm a cold and calculated kind of person, and can't see the logic path to a long-term future.
    Your logic is good Ben and/but I know you've had to have heard me quote this before but I'll  offer it again as hope as a plan:  "Hope is not the conviction that things will turn out well.  Hope is the conviction to do what makes sense no matter how things turn out." -Vaclav Havel
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Or how  about this Brian, your congressman and senators will never pass tougher gun control laws.  Would you not like to have the option that if you got enough signatures on a petition so a binding plebiscite can be voted on by the people that puts tougher gun control laws into place?  No offence, but if you think this senators and congressman are ever going to toughen gun control, then I got a nice piece of swamp land in Alaska to sell you.  I'd have more faith in letting the general population decide, not a few politicians that are essentially bought and paid for.
    I get what your saying but it would depend on whether we are talking local petition or nation and that varies as to where you live.  Where I live, a popular vote would lead to every man woman and child old enough to lift 6 to 9 pounds and pull a trigger would be armed to the teeth.

Yeah, I know, what the hell am I doing living here!?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Switzerland is about the size of Maine. There is much more diversity and cultural difference throughout the US to compare the two.  
    Good point.

Thank god for the Swiss though.  I have at least a half dozen Swiss Army knives of varying styles.  Best damn knives around! Especially the one with the cork screw.  Cheers!

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    RYME said:
    I believe that peace comes through strength & resolve, not passiveness.
    Not through chanting & waving signs in the streets.
    Really so the Vietnam war protest didn’t play a part in bringing that fiasco to an end ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....