Options

No more war, no more hate.

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,685
    RYME said:
    I believe that peace comes through strength & resolve, not passiveness.
    Not through chanting & waving signs in the streets.
    Really so the Vietnam war protest didn’t play a part in bringing that fiasco to an end ..
    As I'm sure you know, Jose, it did indeed! 

I've mentioned this before but a great book that tells a lot about how protesters helped end the war in Vietnam is Bill Zimmerman's excellent, Troublemaker.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    i_lov_iti_lov_it Perth, Western Australia Posts: 4,007
    dignin said:
    Yeah, Churchill made some real unnecessary bombing civilian decisions. 
    Dresden comes too mind...
  • Options
    Then we have that Psychopath Truman dropping two Atomic Bombs on Japan Murdering Thousands of innocent people... As with the title of Thread...if we can just elect Good Hearted people so we can have no more war then that would be great...
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Holy cow.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    edited April 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    Then we have that Psychopath Truman dropping two Atomic Bombs on Japan Murdering Thousands of innocent people... As with the title of Thread...if we can just elect Good Hearted people so we can have no more war then that would be great...
    I know many will disagree, but those bombs saved both American and Japanese lives.
    Japan was such a weird culture who worship their emperor as a god, and they were not only prepared to die, but was a very high honor to do so. This is a culture that would rather die than surrender. Just look at the thousands at Okinawa that commited suicide, including civilian women and children, that chose suicide over American defeat. They were actually training even children to fight to the death in preparation for an invasion. Countless more would have been killed with an invasion. 
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    This is very interesting. Good thread
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    I know many will disagree, but those bombs saved both American and Japanese lives.
    Japan was such a weird culture who worship their emperor as a god, and they were not only prepared to die, but was a very high honor to do so. This is a culture that would rather die than surrender. Just look at the thousands of Okinawan civilians, women and children, that chose suicide over American defeat. They were actually training even children to fight to the death in preparation for an invasion. Countless more would have been killed with an invasion. 
    Did you interview every Japanese Person did you?...so the answer is lets just Murder as many innocent people as we can?...seriously that has the hall marks of Psychopathy...
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,844
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Japan was such a weird culture who worship their emperor as a god, and they were not only prepared to die, but was a very high honor to do so. This is a culture that would rather die than surrender. Just look at the thousands of Okinawan civilians, women and children, that chose suicide over American defeat. They were actually training even children to fight to the death in preparation for an invasion. Countless more would have been killed with an invasion. 
    Did you interview every Japanese Person did you?...so the answer is lets just Murder as many innocent people as we can?...seriously that has the hall marks of Psychopathy...
    I don’t think you understand the Japanese way of fighting during world war 2. Literally four year olds and elderly were armed with pitchforks and grenades in order to defend the homeland If it was invaded. The bombs saved millions of lives on both sides. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    I don’t think you understand the Japanese way of fighting during world war 2. Literally four year olds and elderly were armed with pitchforks and grenades in order to defend the homeland If it was invaded. The bombs saved millions of lives on both sides. 

This doesn't even make sense...

Wouldn't you defend yourself???...you do relise Kids were killed as well...

Post edited by i_lov_it on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Do I need to interview every single Japanese person to understand their history and culture? It is very well documented that they were training children, 5 and 6 year olds even, to fight off American soldiers. It is well documented they encouraged suicide in the face of defeat. It is very well documented they viewed their emperor as a god, and was a honor to die for him. As a result this was a nation that would have fought until no one was left to fight back, they would not accept surrender except in the face of something like a nuclear bomb.
    I never said murder as many innocent people as we can. I just said more would have died if we didn't drop the bombs. There is a lot of evidence to back that statement up.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Wouldn't you defend yourself???

Big difference, we surrender, They don’t.  I remember one vet saying they shot this Japanese soldier sixty times and he still kept coming. And no I wouldn’t arm my four year old to fight. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    Do I need to interview every single Japanese person to understand their history and culture? It is very well documented that they were training children, 5 and 6 year olds even, to fight off American soldiers. It is well documented they encouraged suicide in the face of defeat. It is very well documented they viewed their emperor as a god, and was a honor to die for him. As a result this was a nation that would have fought until no one was left to fight back, they would not accept surrender except in the face of something like a nuclear bomb.
    I never said murder as many innocent people as we can. I just said more would have died if we didn't drop the bombs. There is a lot of evidence to back that statement up.
    My point is no one should of been murdered...the fact is those Atomic Bombs murdered innocent people...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    My point is no one should of been murdered...the fact is those Atomic Bombs murdered innocent people...
    SO how would you end the war then? Just ask nicely for Japan to surrender? 
    It was going to end either with an invasion that killed millions, or a bomb that killed 200,000 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Wouldn't you defend yourself???

Big difference, we surrender, They don’t.  I remember one vet saying they shot this Japanese soldier sixty times and he still kept coming. And no I wouldn’t arm my four year old to fight. 

So lets just drop a Bomb murdering innocent people to teach the Japanese people in general a lesson???
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    It was going to end either with an invasion that killed millions, or a bomb that killed 200,000 

So by what you just said you justify killing 200,000 innocent people???

• Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Well if my choices are to let millions die during the combat, or end the war quickly and only kill 200,00, I'd chose the bomb.
    You'd rather let millions die istead? And for what then? 
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Well if my choices are to let millions die during the combat, or end the war quickly and only kill 200,00, I'd chose the bomb.

Do you relise what you are saying?...200,000 innocent people being murdered...

• Options
    There should be no War...as with the OP...No More War...
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Estimates for the allies exceeded 200,000 just on the landings. You should read the book “with the olds breed” by e. B. Sledge to get a better understanding of how the Japanese fought. 

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,231
    There were a lot of factors at play in the mindset of the Japanese at the time that created the situation and the US' response played a part in how it was ultimately resolved. If an opposing military force began occupying my country, I would have defended myself in whatever way necessary. Without the comfort of easy access to information, the public had to rely a lot on what they heard from their countries news sources and leader. When you have Admiral Halsey calling for the killings of the "japs" and news of confinement camps and Americans supporting annihilation of the Japanese, a normal citizen would feel there were no other option than suicide or fight to the death. I am not defending the use of the atomic bombs, but there was a lot of fear mongering being undertaken by all countries involved in the war, so it seemed like any response was reasonable from each side's perspective. The only known outcome of any military action is death and destruction.

Bushido

Nationalists and militarists alike looked to the past for inspiration. Delving into ancient myths about the Japanese and the Emperor in particular being directly descended from the Sun Goddess, Amaterasu Omikami, they exhorted the people to restore a past racial and spiritual purity lost in recent times.

They were indoctrinated from an early age to revere the Emperor as a living deity, and to see war as an act that could purify the self, the nation, and ultimately the whole world. Within this framework, the supreme sacrifice of life itself was regarded as the purest of accomplishments.

Japan's samurai heritage and the samurai code of ethics known as 'bushido' have a seductive appeal when searching for explanations for the wartime image of no surrender. The great classic of Bushido - 'Hagakure' written in the early 18th century - begins with the words, 'Bushido is a way of dying'. Its basic thesis is that only a samurai prepared and willing to die at any moment can devote himself fully to his lord.

Although this idea certainly appealed to the ideologues, what probably motivated Japanese soldiers at the more basic level were more mundane pressures. Returning prisoners from Japan's previous major war with Russia in 1904-5 had been treated as social outcasts. The Field Service Code issued by General Tojo in 1941 put it more explicitly:

Do not live in shame as a prisoner. Die, and leave no ignominious crime behind you.

Apart from the dangers of battle, life in the Japanese army was brutal. Letters and diaries written by student conscripts before they were killed in action speak of harsh beatings, and of soldiers being kicked senseless for the most trivial of matters - such as serving their superior's rice too slowly, or using a vest as a towel.

But John Dower, one of America's most highly respected historians of wartime and post-war Japan, believes a major factor, often overlooked in seeking to explain why Japanese soldiers did not surrender, is that countless thousands of Japanese perished because they saw no alternative.

He argues that the attack on Pearl Harbor provoked a rage bordering on the genocidal among Americans. Not only did Admiral William Halsey, Commander of the South Pacific Force, adopt the slogan 'Kill Japs, kill Japs, kill more Japs', public opinion polls in the United States consistently showed 10 to 13 per cent of all Americans supported the 'annihilation' or 'extermination' of the Japanese as a people."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/japan_no_surrender_01.shtml

It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Estimates for the allies exceeded 200,000 just on the landings. You should read the book “with the olds breed” by e. B. Sledge to get a better understanding of how the Japanese fought. 

Is that an American perspective? I always find that another country cannot really explain the actions of a culture and place they didn't live and breathe. 
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Yes, and that is less than 10 million people, including millions of innocent women and children dying in combat. 
    As already mentioned, they were training small children to fight. Millions would have died. I am convinced this was the only way to end that war with the least amount of violence, as horrible as it was.
    You still didn't answer my question, how would you prefer to end that war?
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Is that an American perspective? I always find that another country cannot really explain the actions of a culture and place they didn't live and breathe. 
    The book and the figures are from an American perspective. Not a lot of survivors from Iwo Jima or Okinawa on the Japanese side.

I just looked through my library and I realized I read a book called The Pacific War by Saburo Lenaga.  From what I remember he is pretty harsh on the Japanese and the way they acted during world war 2.  I will have to reread it since it has been awhile.
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    The only way I can think of to end the war with fewer casualties than the bombs caused would be to surrender to Japan. You don;t need to live in Japan to understand their culture looked down upon surrender, it brought shame to them while dying was a great honor. They would have fought until there was no one left to fight.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

Yes, and that is less than 10 million people, including millions of innocent women and children dying in combat. 
    As already mentioned, they were training small children to fight. Millions would have died. I am convinced this was the only way to end that war with the least amount of violence, as horrible as it was.

I don't believe in War...so your question is irrelevant to me...

• Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

You don't have to believe in war, but our enemies did.
    SO your solution would be to let Japan invade and rule us and do nothing then?
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

In that case would would have almost certainly been taken over by a country that believes in war more than we do.
  • Options
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

lso it's ok to rip the united states for dropping an atomic bomb but to not have any other solution?  wars happen bud, it's a fact of life.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:
    mace1229 said:
    i_lov_it said:

I don't believe in War...

Also I'm talking about the murdering of Thousands of innocent People...what are you talking about?

• Options
    mace1229 said:
    The only way I can think of to end the war with fewer casualties than the bombs caused would be to surrender to Japan. You don;t need to live in Japan to understand their culture looked down upon surrender, it brought shame to them while dying was a great honor. They would have fought until there was no one left to fight.
    Yes, the true victims in all of this are the citizens of Japan and especially Okinawa who were brainwashed by their own leader. The US originally provided a lot of support and services to the citizens who remained after the end of the war, but we over stayed our welcome and again didn't just get the hell out because we had a key piece of military real estate for future conflicts.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/community/2015/03/30/issues/battle-okinawa-americas-good-war-gone-bad/#.Wtem0ojwbRZ