Knowing What You Know Now, Would You Still Support Trump for President?

Comments

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:
    Years and years of anti-clinton propaganda paid off

People openly state they HATE Hillary, but usually can't explain why they have such strong feelings against her. I find that interesting
    She's a hypocrite and just a horrible person in my opinion.  Like many democrats she pandered to the minorities to get votes and yet does nothing for them.  Most of the worse cities in America are ran by Democrats.  She claimed to stand for women's rights, women's lib, and feminism yet stood by her husband during all his shit and ridiculed and insulted his accusers.  She defended a rapist when she was a lawyer and there's tape of her laughing about successfully defending him in court.
    As a lawyer she is REQUIRED to defend her client to the best of her abilities. That isn’t optional. It’s a basis of the legal system that everyone is entitled to a competent defence, because god knows the rest of the system is stacked against defendants. For someone to complain when a lawyer does their job professionally shows a serious lack of understanding. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:

People openly state they HATE Hillary, but usually can't explain why they have such strong feelings against her. I find that interesting
    She's a hypocrite and just a horrible person in my opinion.  Like many democrats she pandered to the minorities to get votes and yet does nothing for them.  Most of the worse cities in America are ran by Democrats.  She claimed to stand for women's rights, women's lib, and feminism yet stood by her husband during all his shit and ridiculed and insulted his accusers.  She defended a rapist when she was a lawyer and there's tape of her laughing about successfully defending him in court.
    As a lawyer she is REQUIRED to defend her client to the best of her abilities. That isn’t optional. It’s a basis of the legal system that everyone is entitled to a competent defence, because god knows the rest of the system is stacked against defendants. For someone to complain when a lawyer does their job professionally shows a serious lack of understanding. 
    Agreed, and also, I've heard that tape of her "laughing" about defending him. That is just completely inaccurate if you hear it in context.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    I get this queasy feeling when I think about how we had to choose between Trump and Clinton.  Obviously, Hillary would have made a better president but good grief,  so would have Ronald McDonald.  I begin to wonder if we are capable of electing a decent president any more... but  then I remember that just a few years ago we had Obama.  He wasn't perfect but at least he was presidential, intelligent, well spoken, courteous and respectful to women, unbiased, concerned for environment and carried himself well.  How IN THE FUCK did we go from that to Trump?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    brianlux said:
    I get this queasy feeling when I think about how we had to choose between Trump and Clinton.  Obviously, Hillary would have made a better president but good grief,  so would have Ronald McDonald.  I begin to wonder if we are capable of electing a decent president any more... but  then I remember that just a few years ago we had Obama.  He wasn't perfect but at least he was presidential, intelligent, well spoken, courteous and respectful to women, unbiased, concerned for environment and carried himself well.  How IN THE FUCK did we go from that to Trump?
    Russia, Russia, Russia.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    You said you "despised" Hillary and that "she's a horrible person... strong words... and backed it up by saying she's a fake feminist essentially... her husband cheated on her... and that she takes minority votes for granted... while at the same time you voted for the guy who grabs them by the kitty cat and is a world class sexist POS, including towards his own daughter, and based his entire campaign on racism and xenophobia...

The propaganda worked... because your argument is totally bunk my friend... it sounds like you have no idea why you "despise" her and think she's a "horrible person"

FWIW, feminists are actually allowed to forgive their husbands for straying. I wouldn't forgive mine for it personally, but that's not because of anything related to my feelings about female equality.
    Absolutely.

• RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    I voted for trump.  Don’t know if I would again, but it depends on who the candidates were.  I vote both ways, voted Obama the first time, I wouldn’t have ever voted for Hillary though and Bernie was too far out there for me.   He hasn’t done anything other than being a twitter clown that’s really bothered me so far.  Well, when he opens his mouth I do kinda cringe I guess.  But I still think he’s got a good plan and he’s doing a lot of the stuff I assumed he would.  If nothing else, the mass hysteria he’s caused has been worth the vote I cast.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    KC138045 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I think a better question would be "Knowing what you know now, would you still have supported Hillary?"
    So why don't you start that thread ? I'll answer you , yes i would still vote for her over the idiot you voted for ....
    I believe its highly unlikely but would you support her if she tried to run again or would you prefer another democrat?
    No i would not ever want her to run again i wouldn't vote for her , heck i would of voted for a republican if they would put up a decent human being to run instead we got a total bafoon ...I wanted Bernie to get the nod but we all know what happened there ...
    Why don't you start a new thread, eh?
    I didn't realise some would be offended by asking a relevant question, but glad some decided to answer.
    I didn't mean would you vote for her over Trump, but more what you said the second time. Any other DNC candidate would have beaten him, probably literally anyone. So would you have dumped your support for her 2 years ago knowing she wouldn't beat Trump.
    Feel free not to answer if asking this in this threads seems upsetting to anyone. I mean, people were already discussing Hilary here (and still are), not sure why question was so upsetting to be the only one to be singled out to warrant a new thread.
    Care to answer the Op's original question?

Knowing what you know now would you still support Trump for president? 
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    edited March 2018
    I voted for trump.  Don’t know if I would again, but it depends on who the candidates were.  I vote both ways, voted Obama the first time, I wouldn’t have ever voted for Hillary though and Bernie was too far out there for me.   He hasn’t done anything other than being a twitter clown that’s really bothered me so far.  Well, when he opens his mouth I do kinda cringe I guess.  But I still think he’s got a good plan and he’s doing a lot of the stuff I assumed he would.  If nothing else, the mass hysteria he’s caused has been worth the vote I cast.
    Thanks for your candor. I do have to ask though, why do you find a president who is unpredictable and creates mass hysteria to be a good thing or worth your vote? The leader of our country shouldn't also be the court jester. If I remember correctly, I think you run a restaurant? Correct me if I'm wrong. Would you want one of your managers to act in such a way and create mass hysteria among staff and patrons? As a manager myself, I would be shit canning someone like him immediately. Especially with all the sexual harassment issues. He wouldn't get past a background and would be a customer service nightmare.

I just don't get that mindset; people who find his behavior a breath of fresh air.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    brianlux said:
    Every time I try to write how awful I think Trump is I realize the limits of our English vocabulary.

^^^^ This, plus random thoughts about Ed's ability to use "fuck" as all parts of speech.
    If we manage to survive the Agent Orange administration more or less intact as a country, I hope we all, collectively, decide that "s/he isn't a politician!" isn't the selling point some people thought it was. I also hope we introduce a constitutional amendment requiring all candidates for president to demonstrate that they are at the very least 1) familiar with the Bill of Rights and 2) able to receive a passing grade on the AP American Government exam.

So, obviously, I never supported this guy in the first place. He is, politics aside, fundamentally unfit to serve as president. Had he run as a Democrat, I would have shown up at Mitt Romney's door, begging him to run and offering to serve as his campaign manager.

All that aside, the few people I know who live in red areas no longer watch any news channels, because the news is so stressful and frustrating. They see the results of the opioid epidemic, they know what job prospects are in their area, they know what their local infrastructure looks like, and they are not impressed. 

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    JimmyV said:
    OnWis97 said:
    This is probably not the best place for this question since not too many of us did in the first place.  Sadly, I don't think he's lost too many supporters.  Most of the shit is exactly what they wanted.  
    Agreed. I think better questions for this audience might be:

"Knowing what you know now, if your state's caucus/primary were held today would you still support the same candidate you supported in 2016?"

and

"Knowing what you know now, would you still cast the same vote you cast in November?"

I think my answer to both questions would be yes, but since I was conflicted both times I'm sure I would be conflicted again.
    Yes, but then again I still have an "I'm ridin' with Biden" sticker on my car. Biden would have mopped the floor with Agent Orange.
    Hillary Clinton is not perfect, but she was very qualified; she got my vote, and were we able to have a do-over tomorrow, I would vote for her again.

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:

God forbid a lawyer do what they went to school for and are paid to do. Hope you never need an attorney, for whatever the issue is. How do you explain Team Trump Treason's attorney negotiating and agreeing to a settlement without his client's knowledge? If you believe Team Trump Treason didn't know about the settlement or that it had already been arbitrated? Care to list the worst cities run by democrats?
    KC138045 said:

Yes, you can easily make the same or similar arguments against Trump.  They were both horrible candidates and as I said earlier I wish I hadn't voted for either but I made a choice and voted for Trump.  I think Trump and Hillary have more similarities to each other than differences and if Hillary wasn't a women I don't think she would of had any where near the support she got.
    I have to disagree with that last point. Had Hillary Clinton been a male candidate, she would have won in a landslide.
    Is she a saint? No. But the story about her laughing about defending a rapist is untrue. And decades before Russia decided to meddle in the election, the media attacked Clinton, be it for her looks, her clothes, her "baking cookies" comment, you name it.
    Misogyny was a big factor in the election.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:

God forbid a lawyer do what they went to school for and are paid to do. Hope you never need an attorney, for whatever the issue is. How do you explain Team Trump Treason's attorney negotiating and agreeing to a settlement without his client's knowledge? If you believe Team Trump Treason didn't know about the settlement or that it had already been arbitrated? Care to list the worst cities run by democrats?
    KC138045 said:

Yes, you can easily make the same or similar arguments against Trump.  They were both horrible candidates and as I said earlier I wish I hadn't voted for either but I made a choice and voted for Trump.  I think Trump and Hillary have more similarities to each other than differences and if Hillary wasn't a women I don't think she would of had any where near the support she got.
    I have to disagree with that last point. Had Hillary Clinton been a male candidate, she would have won in a landslide.
    Is she a saint? No. But the story about her laughing about defending a rapist is untrue. And decades before Russia decided to meddle in the election, the media attacked Clinton, be it for her looks, her clothes, her "baking cookies" comment, you name it.

I didn’t know that there were so many misogynistic left leaners out there.  I always figured that her gender gave her an edge.  I know of a few people that only voted for her based on the fact that she was a woman.  Anyone that voted for Trump would have never voted for her regardless of her gender, so I’m really not sure that misogyny was all that big of a factor.  Her personality, maybe...I’ve heard several liberals say that they didn’t vote for because they hated her personality, the fact that she was “just another Clinton”, and that they did not like the way that she handled matters in her previous positions.

• mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited March 2018
    mace1229 said:
    KC138045 said:
    mace1229 said:
    I think a better question would be "Knowing what you know now, would you still have supported Hillary?"
    So why don't you start that thread ? I'll answer you , yes i would still vote for her over the idiot you voted for ....
    I believe its highly unlikely but would you support her if she tried to run again or would you prefer another democrat?
    No i would not ever want her to run again i wouldn't vote for her , heck i would of voted for a republican if they would put up a decent human being to run instead we got a total bafoon ...I wanted Bernie to get the nod but we all know what happened there ...
    I didn't realise some would be offended by asking a relevant question, but glad some decided to answer.
    I didn't mean would you vote for her over Trump, but more what you said the second time. Any other DNC candidate would have beaten him, probably literally anyone. So would you have dumped your support for her 2 years ago knowing she wouldn't beat Trump.
    Feel free not to answer if asking this in this threads seems upsetting to anyone. I mean, people were already discussing Hilary here (and still are), not sure why question was so upsetting to be the only one to be singled out to warrant a new thread.
    Got a link?
    A link to what? This thread? I just asked why was it so irrelevant to ask a question about Hillary to deem being singled out and told to start a new thread when she was already being discussed by several others on this thread. And I think it was a relevant question to begin with asit related to Trump. Not sure what link you are asking for?  A link to show she was already being discussed? Here you go....
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/269854/knowing-what-you-know-now-would-you-still-support-trump-for-president/p3

Post edited by mace1229 on
  • OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,812
    There were anecdotal stories of people (women, even) that did not vote for her because she was a woman.  I don't know for sure, but I really, really want them Dems to play it safe and nominate a male in 2020.

That said, it would also help if they nominate someone that hasn't been hated by so many people for so long.  She was hated day 1 of Bill Clinton becoming a household name; well before she deserved it.  And that was in large part about being a woman who came off as strong and forceful, as opposed to June Cleaver.  (Do any of you oldsters remember the 1992 GOP convention?).  Since then, she's deserved to be hated for several things.  But it is also kind of a "thing" to hate her and I'm not convinced everyone entirely understand why any more.  And I wonder whether the hatred would have been quite this prevalent for a male.  Either way, the Democrats were stupid and arrogant for thinking it was her "turn."  
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    PJPOWER said:
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:

KC138045 said:

I didn’t know that there were so many misogynistic left leaners out there.  I always figured that her gender gave her an edge.  I know of a few people that only voted for her based on the fact that she was a woman.  Anyone that voted for Trump would have never voted for her regardless of her gender, so I’m really not sure that misogyny was all that big of a factor.  Her personality, maybe...I’ve heard several liberals say that they didn’t vote for because they hated her personality, the fact that she was “just another Clinton”, and that they did not like the way that she handled matters in her previous positions.

I think there are plenty of people that are left leaning that simply subscribe to the old guard of the presidency being a man's job. I have zero to back that up with, just a feeling I have. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJPOWER said:
    KC138045 said:
    KC138045 said:
    my2hands said:

KC138045 said:

I think there are plenty of people that are left leaning that simply subscribe to the old guard of the presidency being a man's job. I have zero to back that up with, just a feeling I have. 
    I’m sure there are probably plenty...especially in the older crowd (60s and up).  

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,476
    edited March 2018
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    KC138045 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Got a link?
    A link to what? This thread? I just asked why was it so irrelevant to ask a question about Hillary to deem being singled out and told to start a new thread when she was already being discussed by several others on this thread. And I think it was a relevant question to begin with asit related to Trump. Not sure what link you are asking for?  A link to show she was already being discussed? Here you go....
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/269854/knowing-what-you-know-now-would-you-still-support-trump-for-president/p3

Someone else had already suggested posing the question in a different way and I had already suggested that “feel free to start another thread.” No judgement. No admonishment. No anger. Just, “feel free to start another thread.” You triggered?
     As for a link, I was asking for a link to all the supposed anger you experienced in this thread.
    Post edited by Halifax2TheMax on
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    tbergs said:
    Thanks for your candor. I do have to ask though, why do you find a president who is unpredictable and creates mass hysteria to be a good thing or worth your vote? The leader of our country shouldn't also be the court jester. If I remember correctly, I think you run a restaurant? Correct me if I'm wrong. Would you want one of your managers to act in such a way and create mass hysteria among staff and patrons? As a manager myself, I would be shit canning someone like him immediately. Especially with all the sexual harassment issues. He wouldn't get past a background and would be a customer service nightmare.

I just don't get that mindset; people who find his behavior a breath of fresh air.
    Sorry but I just don’t see the correlation between an elected government office and a restaurant manager.  Our government is/has been so corrupt and there’s so many dirtbags on both sides that it’s the best thing possible in my mind to have someone unpredictable there to scare the shit outta them.  Corporations rule, and as long as they do the pres is just a talking head to get pointed at and to take the blame.  If I had the choice between an excellent/charismatic orator who speaks one thing but does another and is full of false promises or a jackass clown who can’t speak for shit but is determined to do what he/she came out to do regardless of what people think I’d chose the later again next time.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    tbergs said:

Sorry but I just don’t see the correlation between an elected government office and a restaurant manager.  Our government is/has been so corrupt and there’s so many dirtbags on both sides that it’s the best thing possible in my mind to have someone unpredictable there to scare the shit outta them.  Corporations rule, and as long as they do the pres is just a talking head to get pointed at and to take the blame.  If I had the choice between an excellent/charismatic orator who speaks one thing but does another and is full of false promises or a jackass clown who can’t speak for shit but is determined to do what he/she came out to do regardless of what people think I’d chose the later again next time.

I'm not sure how anyone can characterize Trump as "determined to do what he/she came out to do", when he flip flops on a minute by minute basis and has gotten very little actually accomplished this past year. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    tbergs said:

I'm not sure how anyone can characterize Trump as "determined to do what he/she came out to do", when he flip flops on a minute by minute basis and has gotten very little actually accomplished this past year. 

I think he’s done a ton.  He’s reversed almost all of Obama’s executive orders. He’s removed the mandatory provision in health care.  I haven’t heard much about ISIS in a long time.  I get more cash every week in my paycheck every week, granted it’s only +$1500/year but that’s great to me.  He’s deporting the shit outta illegals and the border sees less illegal crossings since he took office with or without a wall.  We have more oil than we know what to do with and that industry is booming once again.  That’s just a few because I’m kinda running around, but to me those are all great things.
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    When the US stops meddling in other countries affairs and starting wars that lead to regime changes and expanded war, the maybe, just maybe you can cry foul about Russia.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    When the US stops meddling in other countries affairs and starting wars that lead to regime changes and expanded war, the maybe, just maybe you can cry foul about Russia.

It's a fair point but also a bit overly simplistic. I can be critical of my own government and aware of my country's faults while still being concerned about Russia meddling in our election.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    And, bringing it back to Trump, we would be foolish to not be concerned by a President who seems so very unconcerned about stopping Russia from meddling again.

• dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    KC138045 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Got a link?

Again, care to answer the OP's original question? 

Knowing what you know now would you still support Trump for president?
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    JimmyV said:

It's a fair point but also a bit overly simplistic. I can be critical of my own government and aware of my country's faults while still being concerned about Russia meddling in our election.

Personally I don't concern myself to much about Russian meddling.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    JimmyV said:

I would if there were some way to pin this thing down with undeniable proof.  Without that (and with all due respect to those who believe it, I still don't see solid proof) the issue is doing more to harm dems than help. 

It also distracts from other reasons that Hillary did not win, reasons such as (and ranking in impact) a) the electoral college, b) too many people who thought she was a shoe-in so stayed home and didn't vote, c)   those skeletons in her closet and D)  her awkward voice and manner of speech.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    tbergs said:

I think he’s done a ton.  He’s reversed almost all of Obama’s executive orders. He’s removed the mandatory provision in health care.  I haven’t heard much about ISIS in a long time.  I get more cash every week in my paycheck every week, granted it’s only +$1500/year but that’s great to me.  He’s deporting the shit outta illegals and the border sees less illegal crossings since he took office with or without a wall.  We have more oil than we know what to do with and that industry is booming once again.  That’s just a few because I’m kinda running around, but to me those are all great things.
    Several of the things you mentioned where happening or started under Obama. trump’s removals since are increasing expenses, the deficit, and environmental protections. 
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586

tbergs said:

tbergs said:

If corporations rule, trump is giving them even more power to rule. 
    brianlux said:
    JimmyV said:

I would if there were some way to pin this thing down with undeniable proof.  Without that (and with all due respect to those who believe it, I still don't see solid proof) the issue is doing more to harm dems than help. 

It also distracts from other reasons that Hillary did not win, reasons such as (and ranking in impact) a) the electoral college, b) too many people who thought she was a shoe-in so stayed home and didn't vote, c)   those skeletons in her closet and D)  her awkward voice and manner of speech.
    Totally agree.  The electoral college thing is weird to me though, it’s kinda like being pissed off when you lost a baseball game but had more hits than the other team.  You still lose when you don’t score runs.  Everyone knew the rules going in, it’s never been the popular vote or base hits that matter.

people didn’t have any complaints during the campaign about the electoral college but as soon as the results were in it suddenly was like “wait, that’s unfair!”
    She didn't lose because of Russia but her losing was Russia's preferred outcome. She lost because of a unique set of flaws that should have prevented her nomination in the first place but did not. Russia played a role but that role was magnified by the weaknesses of the candidate. Yes there was propaganda and yes there was fake news, but it was so easily believed because so many minds were already decided about the Clintons long ago. A stronger nominee would not have been nearly as vulnerable to Russian mischief as was Hillary Clinton.

Still...none of that excuses voting for Donald Trump.