The Golf Thread

Comments

• WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    There aren’t as many Dolphin fans as there were when dan marino was playing.  There aren’t as many Bulls fans as when Jordan played.   Non die hard Packers fans will start to go when Rodgers retires and they have a scrub QB.  

My point is that in a lot of sports one to two players move the needle.  When Tiger is playing, and especially in his third healthy tourney in two years essentially, he is the only one in the field worth taking about.  

Very simple concept that haters do not understand, or at least don’t want to admit.

I’m a hater. he’s a despicable human being and a total phony. fuck that guy.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,926
    There aren’t as many Dolphin fans as there were when dan marino was playing.  There aren’t as many Bulls fans as when Jordan played.   Non die hard Packers fans will start to go when Rodgers retires and they have a scrub QB.  

My point is that in a lot of sports one to two players move the needle.  When Tiger is playing, and especially in his third healthy tourney in two years essentially, he is the only one in the field worth taking about.  

Very simple concept that haters do not understand, or at least don’t want to admit.
    Yep. Love tiger. Always have. He’s a dick but no one I’d rather watch tee it up. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    The greatest golfer we’ve ever seen is attempting a comeback most thought improbable.....yeeeeeah, not a big deal. 

Looking forward to this afternoon. Just being in the mix on sunday with these young bucks is worth the price of admission
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,490
    Six up and downs today.   Wish I wasn’t chipping so much but chips are fun to hit.
    Six up and downs today.   Wish I wasn’t chipping so much but chips are fun to hit.
    Damn. Very impressive. Chipping them close or making long putts? 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Tiger red making a Sunday run is fucking glorious 
    bbiggs said:
    Damn. Very impressive. Chipping them close or making long putts? 
    Chipping them 2-4 feet.  Not all for pars unfortunately!

^ That’s impressive man. My chipping game is so hit and miss. If I could consistently get inside of 4 feet it would be a game changer. I guess I know what I should spend some time practicing on. Lol 
    JT is good 
    edited February 2018
    bbiggs said:
    ^ That’s impressive man. My chipping game is so hit and miss. If I could consistently get inside of 4 feet it would be a game changer. I guess I know what I should spend some time practicing on. Lol 
    I wish I was consistent too. I am hoping the things I am working on now will lead to that.  

Tiger was third in driving distance and first by 3 feet in proximity to the hole.  People would have laughed at you if predicted that in his third tourney back.
    Like to hear about all you fuckers working on this stuff.

I was once upon a time a respectable golfer(10-15) At this point it’s a social thing for me. Work and life doesn’t give me the time to actually put in practice. Any time I get to the range and try to work through the bag I realize it’s a lost cause. so golf at the point is an opportunity to get out with the guys, drink some beers (whiskey), smoke some cigars (pot) and have a good time. I don’t much care about my score anymore and live for the good shot. I’m hovering around an 20 now and I don’t give a shit. I’m sure at some point in the future my relationship with the game will change, which is the best thing about golf. There are so many cycles.

Started playing 9 holes walking with my dad, moved on to playing every chance I got with friends outside our weekend sports schedules, went to college and stopped playing with friends and went back to playing with my old man, graduated school and thought I’d get serious about it again and tried got married, etc. Golf is the absolute best. 

I'm obsessed with golf right now.  I'm hoping to be at the course 5 times a week this summer.  I want to get from 15 handicap down to low single digits.   To me a perfect vacation day is playing 36 and having a nice dinner.  I just want to be good enough so that I can take golf vacations and play really nice courses and not hack my way around.

• I started playing when I was about 5, golf course kid.  I took golf lessons, and went to golf camp every summer until I was about 10.  My mom would drop me off, I'd go to camp while she played 18.  After camp we'd play another 27 at least.  I'd swim or golf everyday at the Country Club.  I won youth tournaments up until age 12 solo and lots of father/son tourneys as well.  I played everyday of the summer until I moved away at age 18.  I was a low single handicap (3) for about 4 years.  College destroyed it all.  I quit for about 3 years and didn't really ever pick it back up on a regular basis ever again.  I still play a handful of rounds a year, but kids, finances and time just doesn't allow it as much as I'd like.  I still got it, just not on a consistent basis.  It's not uncommon for me to go out and birdie 4 of the first 5 and then literally take 3 8's and even a 10 in a row.....
  • ponytdponytd Nashville Posts: 653

I'm obsessed with golf right now.  I'm hoping to be at the course 5 times a week this summer.  I want to get from 15 handicap down to low single digits.   To me a perfect vacation day is playing 36 and having a nice dinner.  I just want to be good enough so that I can take golf vacations and play really nice courses and not hack my way around.

I've not played golf on a ton of vacations, but usually when I do, I play pretty well (and by well, I mean mid to high 80's). I think it's because I know I'm on vacation and the course is new and I have no expectations so I just go out and play a little conservative and just enjoy the round so I end up playing better. I tend to be more aggressive on the courses I always play at home and end up making bigger mistakes and shooting worse than I should.
    I started playing when I was about 5, golf course kid.  I took golf lessons, and went to golf camp every summer until I was about 10.  My mom would drop me off, I'd go to camp while she played 18.  After camp we'd play another 27 at least.  I'd swim or golf everyday at the Country Club.  I won youth tournaments up until age 12 solo and lots of father/son tourneys as well.  I played everyday of the summer until I moved away at age 18.  I was a low single handicap (3) for about 4 years.  College destroyed it all.  I quit for about 3 years and didn't really ever pick it back up on a regular basis ever again.  I still play a handful of rounds a year, but kids, finances and time just doesn't allow it as much as I'd like.  I still got it, just not on a consistent basis.  It's not uncommon for me to go out and birdie 4 of the first 5 and then literally take 3 8's and even a 10 in a row.....
    I feel like this is how most good golfers (scratch’ish) got where they are. From basically being dropped off at the course daily. We played a lot in the summer growing up, definitely a few times per week, but not enough 
  • bflynn1bflynn1 Posts: 1,394
    Well Bubba had it rolling for a while yesterday and then just fell apart.
    Quite an odd leaderboard

Valspar and the Bay Hill for Tiger

chinese-happy.jpg

Surprised by valspar, but obviously a good sign he’s playing back to back again. 

BFD.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832

Valspar tournament director Tracy West she heard from Woods' agent, Mark Steinberg, about 30 minutes before the announcement and put into motion a plan that tournament organizers had been working on for weeks just in case the 14-time major champion committed.

As part of that plan, the tournament will open up 6,000 more parking spots and is ready to accommodate 12,000 to 15,000 extra spectators per day. It is possible, she said, that sellouts could be declared depending on demandhttp://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/22624615/tiger-woods-play-valspar-championship-arnold-palmer-invitational-back-back-weeks

Very good sign about Tiger’s comeback.  He will win another major.
    Justin motherfucking thomas
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    edited March 2018
    Unreal. 

This is a lot of fun to watch.  Hoping Phil pulls it out...can't believe he hasn't won since the 2013 British Open.
    Unreal. 

This is a lot of fun to watch.  Hoping Phil pulls it out...can't believe he hasn't won since the 2013 British Open.
    Tiger has won more recently than Phil. How crazy is that. 
    Phil!!!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    Phil!!!
    That was nice to see. 

What a great win for Phil.  A WGC usually has a better field than most tournaments. 

Phil and Tiger in the last group of the Masters on Sunday??????? 

Phil > eldrick.

duh.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    edited March 2018
    Wobbie said:
    Phil > eldrick.

duh.
    Except when it comes to the game of golf.

Happy to see him beat that little douche yesterday, though. That was a lot of fun.
    chinese-happy.jpg