Options

The Golf Thread

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    One of my struggles right now is getting the ball to stop on fast greens when chipping.   Costs me probably 5 strokes when playing nicer courses.
    One of the easiest ways to score better is to work on getting up and down. Hard to do without putting in the hours to practice it, but think of all the strokes that can be saved compared to throwing it on the green then two putting. Most of us are never going to carry it 300 off the tee or hit 200 yard 7/8 irons like the pros, so focusing on getting up and down around the greens is huge. I need major work at it. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    edited August 2020
    bbiggs said:
    One of my struggles right now is getting the ball to stop on fast greens when chipping.   Costs me probably 5 strokes when playing nicer courses.
    One of the easiest ways to score better is to work on getting up and down. Hard to do without putting in the hours to practice it, but think of all the strokes that can be saved compared to throwing it on the green then two putting. Most of us are never going to carry it 300 off the tee or hit 200 yard 7/8 irons like the pros, so focusing on getting up and down around the greens is huge. I need major work at it. 
    For sure.  I'm still thinning shots 30 yards out of the sand.  Quick way to double/triple bogey.  The course I joined this year re-did their bunkers a few years back so I'm hoping to put the time in and get good.  I've taken the advice the pros give to amateurs (use an extra club) to at least avoid being short.  When I think about it I don't go long very much with approach shots and that means (like a poker player who doesn't get called out on bluffs isn't bluffing enough) I'm not taking enough club. 
  • Options
    Awesome story at the Women’s Open.  Winner had caddied for someone a month ago.   Only played because of openings due to Covid19 in an earlier tournament.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    One of my 2020 "resolutions" was to play more.
    Guess how many times I've played this year?

0!
    :fp:

I'm gonna do it.  All the courses are open.  Might just see if they can get me out on my own (Covid) and not paired up with anyone.  I've also considered getting some new sticks.  Mine are like 20 years old.  Figure if I have some new hardware, it would force me to play more.  
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    One of my 2020 "resolutions" was to play more.
    Guess how many times I've played this year?

0!
    :fp:

I'm gonna do it.  All the courses are open.  Might just see if they can get me out on my own (Covid) and not paired up with anyone.  I've also considered getting some new sticks.  Mine are like 20 years old.  Figure if I have some new hardware, it would force me to play more.  
    No time better than the present!  You might be able to pay extra for your own cart if part of foursome if concerned about Covid.  
  • Options
    Is it US Open week a few weeks early?

i wonder how long Tiger will be willing to play average tour golf.  Has to be tough to know what you are capable of but your body won’t let be consistent anymore.   He basically has one tournament a year and maybe two with British Open that he is playing for.

• Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    Yeah, it's gotta suck to go from dominator to mostly non-competitive.  He's like an avg player now.  Just hoping to get hot once or twice a year and have a chance to steal a win.  It's kinda sad.  He doesn't have the jaunty, "look at me, I'm still relevant" vibe that Phil has had the last several years.  He just seems tired and barely interested in hanging on.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,601
    Yeah, Tiger is currently better than Phil 
  • Options
    So had some shit going on and haven’t seen anything until now. A US open broke out?
  • Options
    Trees are good for golf
  • Options
    Rory prints money 
  • Options
    Billy horschel make a a lot of money too. Goodness 
  • Options
    66-64 lol 
  • Options
    Well they are pros ;)
  • Options
    He won the FedEx a few years ago right? That’s a $10M pay day alone. 
  • Options
    Wow.  The lack of concentration penalty is sure on Rahm’s mind now.  Crazy.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Yep, and his name just always pops up around this time of year 
  • Options
    That was awesome
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Yep, and his name just always pops up around this time of year 
    Sure does. Very quietly flies under the radar and just rakes in the cash. Crazy 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    What a finish.
    Awesome to see Hughes make it to East Lake. Clutch putt. 
  • Options
    wndowpaynewndowpayne Posts: 1,469
    So is it DJ vs the field this weekend?...no way those 10 behind have a chance
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 634
    edited September 2020
    The whole handicapped pro tournament thing is dumb.  Top 32 after BWM should play match play.  Maybe you could give the top 4 overall seeds a 1up lead in rd 1 and 2 matches.
    Post edited by ddeschler on
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    Im kind of liking it..You should get a little advantage for playing well all year..You have 7 players within 4 shots with 36 holes to go,,,
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    DJ making it look easy
  • Options
    Paulina is gonna get herself something nice 
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,744
    I hope DJ goes into full fuck you mode and just crushes everyone and wins the US Open and The Masters.  He is incredible right now.
  • Options
    I hope DJ goes into full fuck you mode and just crushes everyone and wins the US Open and The Masters.  He is incredible right now.

Will be interesting to see if history repeats itself.  It seems like he disappears for months on end, we debate if this is the year he breaks the winning streak, and then he wins 2 times in 6 weeks.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    17 mil  in one month..not too shabby..60 mil in career...what a way to make a living..
    Post edited by wndowpayne on
    Charlottesville 2013
    Hampton 2016

• Options
    I know he’s been a side show for probably 20 years now, but Daly, couples (family represent) and funk were my favorite golfers, pre-tiger. This sucks 
  • Options
    I know he’s been a side show for probably 20 years now, but Daly, couples (family represent) and funk were my favorite golfers, pre-tiger. This sucks 
    What happened? Are they not playing the US Open?