The Food Thread

Comments

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Spent $500 last night at a Michelin starred restaurant. Was amazing. 
    We did a really nice Michelin started starred restaurant in Florence last year. It was an awesome experience and delicious but I gotta say, the main thing I remember about it is how much I paid. There are a good 3 or so other dinners from that trip that I remember in more detail. 
    Yeah, it's on my bucket list, but I doubt if any of them in the whole world will beat that 6$ perfect fried fish from the shack in Barbados on a beautiful beach day at the end of our honeymoon, or the 5$ Sacher Tort in Innsbruck after 6 hours of climbing in the Karwendel Alps, or the best tomato of the season.
    Food is an experience.

I'll be back later to wax philosophical on this issue of the massive importance of food beyond nutrition.  It's a wonderful topic and I miss Lynn on The Splendid Table already and it's only been a few weeks.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    The wife’s due date is Valentine’s Day, though that’s likely not happening , but regardless we’re celebrating tonight with our annual tradition

Cheese to start. A Brie and blue, pasteurized this year so nothing amazing

Lobsters with a baked potato and some green beans.

a nice California Chardonnay, with myself obviously drinking the bulk of it, though I’m sure the bride will sneak a small glass 

Fuck yeah.
    All the best to you two, tonight and in what’s to come. 
    Thank you much 
    edited February 2018
    rgambs said:
    Spent $500 last night at a Michelin starred restaurant. Was amazing. 
    We did a really nice Michelin started starred restaurant in Florence last year. It was an awesome experience and delicious but I gotta say, the main thing I remember about it is how much I paid. There are a good 3 or so other dinners from that trip that I remember in more detail. 
    Yeah, it's on my bucket list, but I doubt if any of them in the whole world will beat that 6$ perfect fried fish from the shack in Barbados on a beautiful beach day at the end of our honeymoon, or the 5$ Sacher Tort in Innsbruck after 6 hours of climbing in the Karwendel Alps, or the best tomato of the season.
    Food is an experience.

I'll be back later to wax philosophical on this issue of the massive importance of food beyond nutrition.  It's a wonderful topic and I miss Lynn on The Splendid Table already and it's only been a few weeks.
    It won’t. We did the tasting menu and I remember maybe 2-3 of the dishes. I remember every minute of sitting in the square in Siena and drinking house Chianti while eating meats, cheese and pasta.

the service and attention to every single minor detail is the one thing that sticks out. A sever placed a plate in the wrong direction in front of my wife and someone immediately came up and corrected it. Military like in how everyone has a job

food is an experience 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Have crapped out some mind boggling dinners and the meal I had that was likely the best non sushi, non experiential meal was last year at FIG in Charleston, SC. Under $200 for 2.  As much as it is cool to eat at Le Bernardin I put that against anything I've had.  
    My best bargain meal remains Zankou Chicken in southern California.  Used to be $8 for a half chicken plate with hummus, pitas, and pickled beets.  So.  Amazingly.  Great.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    The wife’s due date is Valentine’s Day, though that’s likely not happening , but regardless we’re celebrating tonight with our annual tradition

Cheese to start. A Brie and blue, pasteurized this year so nothing amazing

Lobsters with a baked potato and some green beans.

a nice California Chardonnay, with myself obviously drinking the bulk of it, though I’m sure the bride will sneak a small glass 

Fuck yeah.
    All the best to you two, tonight and in what’s to come. 
    Well said.
    I'll second that!
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Get a good night of sleep tonight.  Not going to have many for a while after you welcome the wonderful screaming poop machine.

Thanks, all. Sleep is being very much appreciated these past few weeks.
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,552
    I'm thinking it's time to start calling cereal what it is:  "People Kibble".  In fact, I'm having a nice bowl of Fruitful O's People Kibble right now! :smiley:

I also like Rice Kibbles.  They have a nice Snarl, Cackle and Hop kinda flavor. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Makes me think of Chadwick as we discussed before...but I am a 3 Kibble type of guy if eating cereal.  Speedball style.
    The 3 year old took this from me and ran with it.  He has to have some from every box in the cabinet or he feels he is missing out.
    This AM?
    Wheaties
    Shredded Wheat
    Raisin Bran (Cascade Farms Organic, not the classic Post stuff)
    Honey Power Os (again, my wife substitutes healthy vs. classic American Cheerios)
    Alpen
    Nature's Path Corn Puffs
    Rip's Big Bowl (sounds like drugs) Triple Berry Walnut Cereal

Doesn't take much from each box to fill up his bowl.  He gets all butt hurt if we leave some out - smart little bugger knows what is in the cabinet.
    Sometimes he wants almonds and raisins added on top.
    I only eat cereal when I'm high and I've got the munchies.
    In the morning I don't like sweet breakfast, no donuts or cereal or anything like that.
    I want protein and savory breakfast.  Give me some butter toast, hold that jelly.  Keep your muffin, I want some eggs.  Breakfast meats?  Yes, please.  Beans?  Right-O chap.
    Breakfast for me is steel cut oats all, a splash if milk, some almonds.  Small amount.
    Unless I am being bad and then it is bacon, eggs, cheese, cereal, or pancakes.
    Carbs in the morning are an overrated breakfast trend, morning is the time for protein!  You are already well-rested and your glycogen levels are up, the quick flash of energy from carbs is unnecessary and leaves you with a mid-morning lull in energy and an increased appetite for lunch.  Protein fuels you slowly and keeps you feeling full, then you can have a later, smaller lunch with a nice carb kick to reboot you for the afternoon.

I do like oatmeal in the morning, gives you a nice heavy, but settled, gut to give you some ballast for the day.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    brianlux said:
    I'm thinking it's time to start calling cereal what it is:  "People Kibble".  In fact, I'm having a nice bowl of Fruitful O's People Kibble right now! :smiley:

I also like Rice Kibbles.  They have a nice Snarl, Cackle and Hop kinda flavor. 
    "Bachelor Chow"
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    Carbs in the morning are an overrated breakfast trend, morning is the time for protein!  You are already well-rested and your glycogen levels are up, the quick flash of energy from carbs is unnecessary and leaves you with a mid-morning lull in energy and an increased appetite for lunch.  Protein fuels you slowly and keeps you feeling full, then you can have a later, smaller lunch with a nice carb kick to reboot you for the afternoon.

I do like oatmeal in the morning, gives you a nice heavy, but settled, gut to give you some ballast for the day.
    I guess I’m an extra-terrestrial or something. I could eat a whole mess of eggs and be hungry in 30 minutes. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Today’s lunch

SPIEDINI
    • GAMBERETTO SELVATICO (wild gulf shrimp with calabrian chili)
    • SPALLA DI MAIALE (pork shoulder with pepper mostarda)
    • CAROTA (chubby carrots, whipped ricotta, Moorish spices)
    BRUSCHETTE
    • RICOTTA (Calabro ricotta with smoked chestnut honey)
    • PEPERONATA (fire-roasted peppers with oregano and chives)
    • SALMONE MANTECATO (olive oil poached salmon with macron almonds, kumquat conserva)
    PICCOLI PIATTI
    • CUORE DI LATTUGA (warm little gem lettuce with sweet garlic dressing)
    • BARBABIETOLE (beets with housemade stracciatella, pistachio and mint)
    PRIMI
    • FIORE DI ZUCCA (housemade ravioli with marina de chioggia squash, sage, and brown butter)
    • LOBSTER TAGLIATELLE (not on menu to cut and paste, but it was the best out of everything)
    SECONDI
    • ROSTICCIANA TOSCANA (grilled angus beef short rib marinated with Tuscan herbs)
    • SOME BREADED CHICKEN THING (not on menu to cut and paste, but it was the most boring out of everything)
    • SOME STUFFED SQUASH THING (not on menu to cut and paste, but it was better than I thought it would be)
    DOLCI
    • COFFEE, HAZELNUT, AND VANILLA GELATO (served with biscotti and cookies) 
    ESPRESSO
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    dankind said:
    Today’s lunch

SPIEDINI
    • GAMBERETTO SELVATICO (wild gulf shrimp with calabrian chili)
    • SPALLA DI MAIALE (pork shoulder with pepper mostarda)
    • CAROTA (chubby carrots, whipped ricotta, Moorish spices)
    BRUSCHETTE
    • RICOTTA (Calabro ricotta with smoked chestnut honey)
    • PEPERONATA (fire-roasted peppers with oregano and chives)
    • SALMONE MANTECATO (olive oil poached salmon with macron almonds, kumquat conserva)
    PICCOLI PIATTI
    • CUORE DI LATTUGA (warm little gem lettuce with sweet garlic dressing)
    • BARBABIETOLE (beets with housemade stracciatella, pistachio and mint)
    PRIMI
    • FIORE DI ZUCCA (housemade ravioli with marina de chioggia squash, sage, and brown butter)
    • LOBSTER TAGLIATELLE (not on menu to cut and paste, but it was the best out of everything)
    SECONDI
    • ROSTICCIANA TOSCANA (grilled angus beef short rib marinated with Tuscan herbs)
    • SOME BREADED CHICKEN THING (not on menu to cut and paste, but it was the most boring out of everything)
    • SOME STUFFED SQUASH THING (not on menu to cut and paste, but it was better than I thought it would be)
    DOLCI
    • COFFEE, HAZELNUT, AND VANILLA GELATO (served with biscotti and cookies) 
    ESPRESSO

Ever the ascetic, you are. Are you living in a barrel some where?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    "chubby carrots" :giggle:

That entire meal seriously sounds amazing.  Had to Google the lobster dish - I'm not sure how yours was served, but holy hell!

Eff you dude! lol

I had Taco Bell on the run.
    edited February 2018
    The meal made up for having to spend my lunch with all my coworkers—plus work paid for
    it. You’d never catch me in a place like that on my budget. 

Top ramen and Taco Bell are more my speed. 

Edit: The restaurant was also in Eataly, and I wouldn’t put a dime of my own toward that creeper’s legal defense fund. I’ll probably donate to RAINN this month just to absolve myself for setting foot in the place. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Yeah I went to the location in the Flatiron a few times.  Shit was costly but awesome.  Also have eaten at a bunch of his places and they were very good. 
    Fucking creepers.  They are everywhere.

Looks like a grinding lunch.

I made a salad and put 4-5 of the leftover steamed shrimp from last night on them and then sauteed some shrooms and popped those on top.  Very good normally....but shit next to yours!
    Yeah I went to the location in the Flatiron a few times.  Shit was costly but awesome.  Also have eaten at a bunch of his places and they were very good. 

I made a salad and put 4-5 of the leftover steamed shrimp from last night on them and then sauteed some shrooms and popped those on top.  Very good normally....but shit next to yours!
    I got the pasta type wrong for the lobster one. I think it was farfalle now that I see Hedo’s picture, which is way off. I don’t know. I’m not an expert on Italian noodles. They were wide like lasagna but not crinkly. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Those are a batali favorite as well. 
    Sounds damn good either way.

Spent a good amount of time and money a good 6 or so years ago at the beer garden at the top of the Madison square park spot. Probably won’t be back. 

Did a littla south philly villa di Roma action tonight. Good times. So south Philly. 
    edited February 2018
    Due date....baby watch2018!
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    My kid is three and screamed like an infant (but louder) cause he didn't want to go to bed.  Good times

Made a sick seafood pasta tonight.  Fresh noodles, some clams, squid and scallops.  So good.
    Due date....baby watch2028!
    Due date!

Legend has it the veal silician at villa di Roma sends people into labor...
    My kid is three and screamed like an infant (but louder) cause he didn't want to go to bed.  Good times

Made a sick seafood pasta tonight.  Fresh noodles, some clams, squid and scallops.  So good.
    Lol. Can’t wait.

Sounds awesome 

Oh man I feel your pain.  My boy is just about to turn three and bedtime is a nightmare, he fights it every night.  He was up until midnight Sunday Monday and Tuesday without a nap.   :tired_face:

Last night we got him into bed at 930 and he was asleep by 1015 so that felt like a monumental victory.
    rgambs said:

Oh man I feel your pain.  My boy is just about to turn three and bedtime is a nightmare, he fights it every night.  He was up until midnight Sunday Monday and Tuesday without a nap.   :tired_face:

Last night we got him into bed at 930 and he was asleep by 1015 so that felt like a monumental victory.
    Some nights it is easy, some nights tough.
    Bedtime is not the biggest pain with him....it is waking up in the middle of the night.  Now he is in a bed that he can get in and out of and the little bugger is coming into our room regularly to wake us in the middle of the night.
    He is seeing "Bugs"
    Tough not to break out the song for him.

For dinner tonight.....damn, got nothing.  Need to look in the freezer.
    Have two giant cowboy steaks a buddy sent us from Omaha in there but those need to cook up when the kids arent here since they dont have any.  ;)

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    edited February 2018
    I'm thinking fajitas tonight. I'll grill up some spicy chicken, sautee some peppers and onions, serve with a good salsa, sour cream, and everyone's happy. Or at least I am, and that's what matters.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf