The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    edited July 2018
    ^^that looks incredible!

It is getting to be that time of year.
    These are not as good as they will get but they are special.  Sprinkle some nice salt on them and wait ten-fifteen minutes....cut up and put in pieces of romaine with some fresh turkey Or just eat solo

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited July 2018
    ^^that looks incredible!

It is getting to be that time of year.
    These are not as good as they will get but they are special.  Sprinkle some nice salt on them and wait ten-fifteen minutes....cut up and put in pieces of romaine with some fresh turkey Or just eat solo

Nothing better than a fresh tomato from the garden, some salt on it, and a cold lager beer to wash it down with.  The preferred beer for this treat here in MN would be a Grain Belt Premium. 
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Looks delish!  Can't wait till mine are ready.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    Ohh, it's Christmas is July.

And Hungry Harvest yesterday brought shishitos, eggplant, sweet pots, and sweet onions - among other things.

Lunch!

Dyer, you were right about the 'Summer Sauce' - excellent.  The reaper one is surprisingly great, as well.  The habenero one isn't hot but it tastes good.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    Love shisitos. I may have to dive into some hot sauce purchases today 
    They were so good.  Ate almost all of them myself.  Little lemon and salt.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    Dyer, you were right about the 'Summer Sauce' - excellent.  The reaper one is surprisingly great, as well.  The habenero one isn't hot but it tastes good.
    Nice little shipment you got there!
    My mother is a habitual shopper of "As seen on TV" items, and she picked me up a pair of Yoshi Copper Mats for Christmas.
    I just last week got them out and I've been using one on the grill, it's pretty awesome.  Has a nice non-stick coating that allows me to grill veggies, chopped meats, and salmon without any added oil, keeps the mess out of the house and cleans easy in the dishwasher.  I don't think they will last more than a few months, but at $10 for a pair I think I will keep stocked and find a use for the ones that wear out.
    rgambs said:
    My mother is a habitual shopper of "As seen on TV" items, and she picked me up a pair of Yoshi Copper Mats for Christmas.
    I just last week got them out and I've been using one on the grill, it's pretty awesome.  Has a nice non-stick coating that allows me to grill veggies, chopped meats, and salmon without any added oil, keeps the mess out of the house and cleans easy in the dishwasher.  I don't think they will last more than a few months, but at $10 for a pair I think I will keep stocked and find a use for the ones that wear out.
    It's funny you say this.  I have been dying for some fish on the grill, but I struggle with it at times sticking and all.  Might have to look into this a bit.
    rgambs said:
    It's funny you say this.  I have been dying for some fish on the grill, but I struggle with it at times sticking and all.  Might have to look into this a bit.
    It doesn't take up all that much grill flavor if your grill is clean, it's essentially just baking out of the house, which is nice in itself because I don't care for the house smelling of fish.  Now, if you are like me and there's always something burning off the grate from the last grill session, there will be plenty of smoke to get a grilled flavor.  
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    It doesn't take up all that much grill flavor if your grill is clean, it's essentially just baking out of the house, which is nice in itself because I don't care for the house smelling of fish.  Now, if you are like me and there's always something burning off the grate from the last grill session, there will be plenty of smoke to get a grilled flavor.  
    Yeeeah, my grill definitely isn't as clean as it probably should be but I did think about this being basically baking.  I am solid on the grill with fish like tuna, swordfish or even a thick piece of salmon with skin (or a whole fish), but when it comes to something a bit more delicate, I struggle with it sticking a bit.
    I just put a piece of foil down and slice through to match some of the grates, it works well.

I hate cleaning the grill underneath -- do it once per year and that is only when I must.  I cook many bubba burgers at parties and they make a mess.  "When I must" is when the grill has flames shooting out of it even after I turn off the gas. 
    I just put a piece of foil down and slice through to match some of the grates, it works well.

I hate cleaning the grill underneath -- do it once per year and that is only when I must.  I cook many bubba burgers at parties and they make a mess.  "When I must" is when the grill has flames shooting out of it even after I turn off the gas. 
    I got a new grill this year, but yeah, this has bee my approach with the last one.

Good call on the foil.
    A word to the wise, Reynolds foil bags for grilling: they seal up like a damn submarine, which is great for steaming veggies and making a kielbasa or shrimp mess, terrible for trying to slow cook in a smoker or on a grill.  I ruined one of my own slaughtered chickens and a pork loin learning that lesson.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited July 2018
    To catch drippings I put those cheap foil lasagna pans under the grill. Obviously you can't do this if you're direct grilling, but for indirect grilling it's super clean and easy, and you can use the same pan for several cooks.
    Another good use for foil on the grill is smoking (I'm sure many of you already know this trick). Get the wood chips, soak them for a long time, then just throw them into a foil "bowl" that you set down in the corner of the grill so the wood chips very slowly burn and smoke for hours.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    edited July 2018
    rgambs said:
    I have a silimar product. I used to use foil, but my wife was a concerned that it was bad for our health, so she bought these. At first, I was skeptical, but they work great for salmon and veggies. Two of them last for the summer.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
    Speaking of cleaning grills... was at my buddy's pool a couple weekends ago and we fired up the grill so we could toast up some tortillas for tacos (had pork in the slow cooker).  Within 3 minutes we almost burned the damn building down.  The last few summers (lack thereof) have rendered the pool parties almost non-existent so the grill hasn't been touched in ages, and probably hasn't been cleaned...ever.  Next thing you know there are flames shooting out the sides & underneath.  I'm talking full-blown grill is ablaze.  We we fortunate enough to get it away from the building in time and unhook the gas tank before shit got too real.  Definitely would not have been good to burn my buddy's family business down.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I clean my grill with the brush after every use. It takes all of 15 minutes.

Y'all mufuckas is lazy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:

Y'all mufuckas is lazy.
    You use a charcoal grill.  Different setup.  More of a pain in the ass to start up but much easier to clean.
    Let me preface this by stating this pool is at my friend's family business.  It's used to be someone's house - hence the pool, and they bought it and converted to it a funeral home many, many years ago but the pool stayed.  Our small group of friends are the only people that use the pool. I can count on one hand how many times in the last 5-8 years we've actually used the grill.  Usually there is just a handful of us out there and we're just drinking, smoking the devil's lettuce, and swimming. It doesn't really warrant grilling or throwing a big picnic, especially in the last 3-4 years because all it ever does is fucking rain, so we don't get to use the pool very often as it is.  Therefore, the grill doesn't get used or cleaned.  The one time we decide to us it, it goes up in flames.  I'm pretty sure it's just gonna be a decoration now.
    This story has taken a good amount of turns.  Wait...so you go swimming and partying at a funeral home?!?1  And you almost burned said funeral home down?!
    This story has taken a good amount of turns.  Wait...so you go swimming and partying at a funeral home?!?1  And you almost burned said funeral home down?!

Okay...well, then. I think I like it.

Okay...well, then. I think I like it.
    edited July 2018
    dankind said:

Y'all mufuckas is lazy.
    15 minutes?? How messy a cook are you?? :lol:
    I just burn the grease off after each cook. Turn the grill on high for just a little bit, quickly brush off the grill after, all done, no work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:

Y'all mufuckas is lazy.
    15 minutes?? How messy a cook are you?? :lol:
    I just burn the grease off after each cook. Turn the grill on high for just a little bit, quickly brush off the grill after, all done, no work.
    I'm so messy that I'm not allowed to cook in the kitchen. The grill is my jam.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    I tried the new "Beyond Meat" burger from A&W the other day. I'd read that people were all shocked over how much like a real burger it was, so I had to satisfy my curiosity. The rumours were true. I couldn't fucking believe a vegetarian burger could taste that much like meat. I literally wouldn't have been able to tell it wasn't a good beef burger if I hadn't known what I was ordering. I've had a LOT of veggie burgers in my day - this was a totally new level. Yum! .... Expensive though. Over $8 with cheese just for the sandwich.
  • NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    Starting a pork butt smoke today. Tito’s and PJ all day. Wife’s gonna have to just deal.