Pet Peeves

Comments

• whispering handswhispering hands Under your skin Posts: 13,527

When people talk about the "extra" hour of daylight we get.
    The amount of daylight during the 24 hour cycle doesn't change at all. When that light is allocated throughout the day has but we still get exactly the same amount of freaking daylight(discounting the actual gained minutes of daylight we get per day due to moving towards the summer solstice).

Twice a year this drives me insane, not the time changes but that people actually think it effects the amount of light in a given day. :weary:

It allows for an extra hour of daylight, in the sense of an hour more of light tacked on to the end of the day. You are right.24 he's is 24 hrs. I really wish we'd just drop the stupid time change. There's no need for it anymore..

The amount of daylight during the 24 hour cycle doesn't change at all. When that light is allocated throughout the day has but we still get exactly the same amount of freaking daylight(discounting the actual gained minutes of daylight we get per day due to moving towards the summer solstice).

Twice a year this drives me insane, not the time changes but that people actually think it effects the amount of light in a given day. :weary:

It allows for an extra hour of daylight, in the sense of an hour more of light tacked on to the end of the day. You are right.24 he's is 24 hrs. I really wish we'd just drop the stupid time change. There's no need for it anymore..
    I think we all understand this. But we have an hour more of daylight that we get to actively participate in. It's simply a figurative term. I don't honestly think anyone thinks we now have 25 hours, or anything.. but we DO have access to one more hour of daylight, so yes we have an 'extra' hour of daylight... so to speak. :smiley:
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    edited March 2017

I don't think they believe we actually get more daylight in a day. I think of it as more useable daylight. The "net" amount of light is the same, but since much fewer people are up and outside early in the morning, that morning light is being wasted. Shifting an hour later, that hour where we are getting ready for work is now dark and doesn't make a difference to most, but it is light an hour longer when we get home. So that gives us an extra hour to walk or dog, take our kids to the park, etc. The amount of usable daylight will increase.

I really wish I kept reading, then I would have noticed 3 other people said pretty much the same thing.

Pet Peeve: When you have a response, then someone basically repeats your answer thinking they had an original thought.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
    mace1229 said:

I don't think they believe we actually get more daylight in a day. I think of it as more useable daylight. The "net" amount of light is the same, but since much fewer people are up and outside early in the morning, that morning light is being wasted. Shifting an hour later, that hour where we are getting ready for work is now dark and doesn't make a difference to most, but it is light an hour longer when we get home. So that gives us an extra hour to walk or dog, take our kids to the park, etc. The amount of usable daylight will increase.

I really wish I kept reading, then I would have noticed 3 other people said pretty much the same thing.

Pet Peeve: When you have a response, then someone basically repeats your answer thinking they had an original thought.
    Except we can't really get irritated with that.. just another great mind, surfing the same sort of brain waves. In that moment, we all think it is our thought... :lol:
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Seattle, WA Posts: 31,013

I think we all understand this. But we have an hour more of daylight that we get to actively participate in. It's simply a figurative term. I don't honestly think anyone thinks we now have 25 hours, or anything.. but we DO have access to one more hour of daylight, so yes we have an 'extra' hour of daylight... so to speak. :smiley:
    Being a night owl, I automatically assume the 'extra daylight' is at NIGHT...as in STAYS LIGHTER LATER into the night. Alas, no, it's that we get extra daylight in the morning.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    When someone insists they’re getting wasted, so I volunteer to be the designated driver only to drive a completely sober (and pissy) person home. 
    Or comes looking for me and guilts me into sitting with them, only to not speak to me the entire time. 
    Spiteful much?
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    When people talk about the "extra" hour of daylight we get. The amount of daylight during the 24 hour cycle doesn't change at all. When that light is allocated throughout the day has but we still get exactly the same amount of freaking daylight(discounting the actual gained minutes of daylight we get per day due to moving towards the summer solstice). Twice a year this drives me insane, not the time changes but that people actually think it effects the amount of light in a given day. :weary:
    Speaking of, it bugs me when people refer to it as daylight savingtime. It’s just saving, no s.
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    FoxyRedLa said:
    I cannot even imagine the amount of bodies everywhere you go. So thankful for where I live.
    Bodies?? Bodies everywhere? Sounds like a horror movie. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • How about when people are fishing around in molten lava for their keys they dropped? Let 'em go, man. They're gone (J. Handy).
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Pet Peeve:
    When you go to an orgy and the buffet is crappy.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    rgambs said:
    Pet Peeve:
    :lol:
  • rgambs said:
    Pet Peeve:
    The story of Rg's life lol.

No wonder he's so damn grumpy.
  • hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    When you ask someone if they want to do something and they say "we'll see". 

I think I probably got this from my older siblings a tad too much growing up.... 

I am a grown ass woman. If you don't wan't to hang out with me for whatever reason just tell me. Don't feed me some bullshit "we'll see" excuse like you are gonna evaluate all your possible plans and let me know. At that point.. I just want to tell you to fuck off.
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165

I think I probably got this from my older siblings a tad too much growing up.... 

I am a grown ass woman. If you don't wan't to hang out with me for whatever reason just tell me. Don't feed me some bullshit "we'll see" excuse like you are gonna evaluate all your possible plans and let me know. At that point.. I just want to tell you to fuck off.
    Yeah this.
    An ex-friend would never tell me or others yes or no. It was always maybe.
    Get fkd prick.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Just make a decision. Although it's okay to not make the decision immediately... at that point, if you are truly interested you can say something like "I'd love to, let me think about it".  Or you could actually be honest and tell the person you don't want to go there/do that activity. "We'll see" is just so condescending.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380

“we’ll see” is a favorite of our asshole in chief :murica:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:

“we’ll see” is a favorite of our asshole in chief :murica:
    God Bless 'Merica :skull::fearful:
    People not washing their hands after going to the toilet.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,380
    tucking your ears into a baseball cap.

get the hell off my lawn!!
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wobbie said:
    tucking your ears into a baseball cap.

get the hell off my lawn!!
    Son of a!

I started watching ol' Clint in that last night...yet again.

:clap:
    Baseball cap worn backwards.
    Exactly what is the purpose of that?  
    Setting the treadmill on incline and then leaning back and holding onto it.  If your torso is not over your legs, you are still perpendicular to the ground and you aren't doing anything beyond normal walking.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,416
    rgambs said:
    To spot douchebags.
    rgambs said:
    Protect your neck from the sun.
    People talking loud on their phone whilst sitting next to me on the train.
    :rofl:
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    People not washing their hands after going to the toilet.
    there's a woman in my department that does this. every other woman has outed her. we now have a "big spoon only-no hands in the bowl" on treat days because we don't wish to fill our mouths with urine-soaked M&M's. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lol