Options

Pet Peeves

Comments

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    cutz said:
    People who say “New York football Giants.”  The baseball team moved 60 years ago. No one is getting them confused in 2018.
    yeah I never really get why people still say that or "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY"
    Or the "U" when ther is no U in Miami. I could see Utah or Ursinus  College calling themselves the "U". But, Miami makes no sense.
    I'm a Florida State fan so naturally that one irks me, lol.  But they call it that because it's "The U"-niveristy of Miami.  They even have a U on their helmet.  That always bugged the crap out of me as a kid.  I'm really glad FSU fans don't say "the Florida State University."
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    cutz said:
    People who say “New York football Giants.”  The baseball team moved 60 years ago. No one is getting them confused in 2018.
    yeah I never really get why people still say that or "THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY"
    Or the "U" when ther is no U in Miami. I could see Utah or Ursinus  College calling themselves the "U". But, Miami makes no sense.
    I'm a Florida State fan so naturally that one irks me, lol.  But they call it that because it's "The U"-niveristy of Miami.  They even have a U on their helmet.  That always bugged the crap out of me as a kid.  I'm really glad FSU fans don't say "the Florida State University."
    Man, i'm sure being a FSU fan that the "U" irks you. How many schools have "U"-niversity before the school name? Too many to count. Another reason that Miami calling themselves the "U" is stupid.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    edited October 2018
    I work at a university that ends in "U"/"University", and I would never in a million years not say "university" at the end when I'm saying it out loud. Literally no one says it without the U, in long or short form. It would sound totally weird without it. I'm sure if people started doing that it would become a pet peeve of mine, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    People who drive slow in the left lane. MOVE OVER!!! It's called the passing lane for a reason.

This. Drives me fucking crazy. These idiots completely mess up the flow of traffic.

Idiots who are driving behind me in the left lane who pass me in the right lane to cut in front of me because I am leaving a car length in front of me because there is a train of like 15 cars in the left lane piss me off.  They are going to cut someone off to be 14th in line instead of 15th?    Sometimes I speed up and don't let them in, and other times I just let them in and wave the finger at them.    Either way, when the lanes open up I'll be passing them shortly.  I drive fast but I don't weave and cut people off.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    PJ_Soul said:
    I work at a university that ends in "U"/"University", and I would never in a million years not say "university" at the end when I'm saying it out loud. Literally no one says it without the U, in long or short form. It would sound totally weird without it. I'm sure if people started doing that it would become a pet peeve of mine, lol.

That's because it's kind of awkward to say as only two letters, whereas three just rolls off the tongue.

Just don't add the fourth - the T :lol:

my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Swedes not being able to seperate de/dem  (they/them)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,248
    Leaf blowers -- actually, they belong in a "things that make you homicidal" thread. I hate them.

People who let their dogs roam off-leash at the beach, on hiking trails, or wherever it says "ALL DOGS MUST BE LEASHED." You might think "Oh, but everyone loves Baxter!!", but not everyone is wild about having dogs jump on them or at them (or their children) while they are running, hiking, trying to relax. Obey the damn rules, already, and leash your dogs.

Dudes who go to clothing optional beaches wearing hats, sunglasses, shirts, shoes, and no pants. You are freaks. Either go all out and be naked as the day you were born, or WEAR PANTS. Shirtcocking doesn't send any positive messages -- and I think you know that. Freaks.

That one guy at the gym who works out in sleeveless shirts, combat boots, and Under Armour briefs. Those aren't pants. I'm not impressed by your package. WEAR PANTS.

I'm a big fan of pants.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Flip-flops with pants and/or when it's cold.  And as far as I'm concerned flip-flops anytime are stupid.  Feet are gross.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Leaf blowers -- actually, they belong in a "things that make you homicidal" thread. I hate them.

People who let their dogs roam off-leash at the beach, on hiking trails, or wherever it says "ALL DOGS MUST BE LEASHED." You might think "Oh, but everyone loves Baxter!!", but not everyone is wild about having dogs jump on them or at them (or their children) while they are running, hiking, trying to relax. Obey the damn rules, already, and leash your dogs.

Dudes who go to clothing optional beaches wearing hats, sunglasses, shirts, shoes, and no pants. You are freaks. Either go all out and be naked as the day you were born, or WEAR PANTS. Shirtcocking doesn't send any positive messages -- and I think you know that. Freaks.

That one guy at the gym who works out in sleeveless shirts, combat boots, and Under Armour briefs. Those aren't pants. I'm not impressed by your package. WEAR PANTS.

I'm a big fan of pants.
    This is a frequent problem for me, as someone who is a cycle commuter. Most of my commuting is along a busy multi-use trail for cyclists, pedestrians, and the odd horse. It is clearly signposted that dogs have to be leashed, but every few days there is someone who believes their own dog is sufficiently darling and well behaved that they don't need to be leashed. The problem is that these dogs often get excited by cyclists and tend to dart up to the bike, often running and jumping in front. I have narrowly avoided collisions with dogs several times, often with the dog owner criticizing me! 

I do not want to injure any dog, but I also really don't want to get injured myself. Leash your damn dog. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options

I'm a big fan of pants.
    This is a frequent problem for me, as someone who is a cycle commuter. Most of my commuting is along a busy multi-use trail for cyclists, pedestrians, and the odd horse. It is clearly signposted that dogs have to be leashed, but every few days there is someone who believes their own dog is sufficiently darling and well behaved that they don't need to be leashed. The problem is that these dogs often get excited by cyclists and tend to dart up to the bike, often running and jumping in front. I have narrowly avoided collisions with dogs several times, often with the dog owner criticizing me! 

I do not want to injure any dog, but I also really don't want to get injured myself. Leash your damn dog. 

It's a nuisance for everyone. I see unleashed dogs run at leashed dogs, kids, runners (that's me), bikes. "Oh but he's friendly!" I don't know that, and my knee doesn't care what kind of dog caused its injury. We went hiking around Portland, and everywhere we went dogs were trying to jump up on us. It's not cute when someone's child runs amok, same rule applies to dogs.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    Escalators. 
    Why do so many people have no clue how to use them?
    And if you’re thinking “what’s to know about an escalator?” then I’m sorry to tell you, but you’re part of the problem.
    Its very simple, stand right, walk left.
    Every other country I go to has it down, get it together America.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,735
    People who talk non stop during a show. Ipaid to see an artist perform. I didn't pay to hear you twinkie talk with your boyfriend all night you dumb twat.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    People who talk non stop during a show. Ipaid to see an artist perform. I didn't pay to hear you twinkie talk with your boyfriend all night you dumb twat.
    This is becoming an almost guaranteed nuisance at every movie or concert I go to. You don’t have to pay $10 for a movie ticket or $75-120 for a concert to sit and talk non-stop. You can do that shit at home for free. Keep the car in the garage.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    And if you’re thinking “what’s to know about an escalator?” then I’m sorry to tell you, but you’re part of the problem.
    No, they suck at this in Canada too, even though it is an understood norm. And same goes for simply walking down the sidewalk, or in a mall, or wherever. It's all just like driving. Fucking stay to the right except to pass. Why people can't follow this simple general rule when moving about is beyond me. It drives me nuts.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    No, they suck at this in Canada too, even though it is an understood norm. And same goes for simply walking down the sidewalk, or in a mall, or wherever. It's all just like driving. Fucking stay to the right except to pass. Why people can't follow this simple general rule when moving about is beyond me. It drives me nuts.
    Problem with this is I'm a New Yorker, so you put me on any other sidewalk in any other city or town, and I'm always passing.

Bunch of slow-moving motherfuckers up in this bitch. I've got places to be, dipshits. Oh, did I just jostle you hard enough to knock your iPhone out of your hand? Eat a dick! I'm walkin' here! Go sidle up next to a building if you want to read your Facebook feed. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    Problem with this is I'm a New Yorker, so you put me on any other sidewalk in any other city or town, and I'm always passing.

Bunch of slow-moving motherfuckers up in this bitch. I've got places to be, dipshits. Oh, did I just jostle you hard enough to knock your iPhone out of your hand? Eat a dick! I'm walkin' here! Go sidle up next to a building if you want to read your Facebook feed. 
    Totally! One of the reasons I love NYC is because you can race around on the sidewalks and people aren't just getting in your way by ambling down the sidewalk, totally oblivious to the people behind them. And you don't even have to wait for the lights at intersections or anything. Just cross when you're not going to get run over and it's all good, lol. I loved it.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    There isn't much in this world more annoying than some asshole cruising in the left lane and creating a bottleneck.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    There isn't much in this world more annoying than some asshole cruising in the left lane and creating a bottleneck.
    Escalators are basically fat totes. Bostonians are clueless about the lanes. I take the stairs and avoid all sorts of headaches.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    Escalators are basically fat totes. Bostonians are clueless about the lanes. I take the stairs and avoid all sorts of headaches.
    What really makes me mad are the ones who stand on the down escalator. Okay, I get that people want to rest on the up one, but wtf is with people standing there going down. It's not like it's tiring to walk down stairs. And it's so fucking slow. If you walk down you move so fast - why would anyone not walk down (barring disabilities)??? It makes no sense!!! And don't even get me started on the people who stand still on the moving sidewalks at the airport!
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    What really makes me mad are the ones who stand on the down escalator. Okay, I get that people want to rest on the up one, but wtf is with people standing there going down. It's not like it's tiring to walk down stairs. And it's so fucking slow. If you walk down you move so fast - why would anyone not walk down (barring disabilities)??? It makes no sense!!! And don't even get me started on the people who stand still on the moving sidewalks at the airport!
    My guess is that, other than your usual lazy pieces of shit, people with bad lungs and cardiovascular health ride up, and people with bad knees ride down.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    People are lazy and they think those conveyors are to make things easy, not quick.

My pet peeve is people's knees.
    Cover your knees if your gonna walk around...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    dankind said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    My guess is that, other than your usual lazy pieces of shit, people with bad lungs and cardiovascular health ride up, and people with bad knees ride down.
    Like I said, barring disabilities. There is no way in hell that about 35% of everyone going down an escalator have bad knees, lol. In fact, the majority of those doing it seem to be younger people. They're just being lazy. I just don't get how even lazy people have the patience to wait that long to get down one flight.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    Assholes riding their Birds in traffic are near the apex of mobile dickheads.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    ?

It's 4:20 somewhere!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    ?

These motherfuckers, whose genius "riders" just dump them all over the city when no longer used.

• Options
    And yes, yes it is :sunglasses:
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    ?

These motherfuckers, whose genius "riders" just dump them all over the city when no longer used.

So there is a motorized scooter sharing program in Victoria? Look at that idiot in the photo, looking at his phone, lol.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    ?

So there is a motorized scooter sharing program in Victoria? Look at that idiot in the photo, looking at his phone, lol.

They're all over the place -- by which I mean, in lots of cities, and just left in front yards, on sidewalks, in bushes, on bridges. I had no idea so many people never learned to pick up after themselves.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    Escalators. 
    ?

They're all over the place -- by which I mean, in lots of cities, and just left in front yards, on sidewalks, in bushes, on bridges. I had no idea so many people never learned to pick up after themselves.
    No accountability.  Integrity is reflected in how you act when (you think?) no one is watching.  This takes the cake, in a way, because many users will make defiant eye-contact with us what-the-fuck?-ers when dumping.
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    Most of the time if there is room in front of me on an escalator, sidewalk or road I intend to move as quickly as possible.  I hate walking as it bores the hell out of me unless it is hiking or sightseeing.  Every once in a while though I will stand on an escalator and just take all in the experience of it.