PHILLY (Loosely Related to The Philadelphia Phillies)

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582
    And gotta love the fallacy of trickle down economics.  There is an absolutely 0% chance the Yankees invest more money into players because the Steinbrenners get a tax break.
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    I don't comment about politics in AMT because I hate having those fucking threads linger in my "participated" page. But it only took a fucking creep of a complete dipshit to turn a toothless, backwards, literal swamp of a state blue for a senator. GOTV all day everyday from now on.
    I just want to know how liberals are going to complain about paying less taxes.  I dunno know about you guys, but I like money -- especially being able to keep the money I earn.  Looks like this tax break has a great chance of passing which will give the Fixer family a 'pretty, pretty good' raise.

I certainly don't agree with a lot of what the GOP stands for (especially the social platforms), but I agree with almost all of their monetary policies.  Less taxes and smaller government are the way to go.
    Bro, your tax cuts are for like 5 years...this bill is not supporting people like you long term.
    I will take 5 years of cuts over taxes staying the same or increasing
    But they're going to go up in the long run  because this cut is losing so much money from 'fuck you money' folks.

If this tax cut was to support people like me and you it would be a straight income tax break, period.
    with democrats in office taxes inevitably go up anyway.  I will happily take the cuts, which will be substantial for my family, and enjoy them while they last.  everyone should take that mindset
    Just like I would rather save less for retirement now than have to save more later, I would rather have my taxes not dive now and increase later to have to pay for these breaks for people who can buy sports teams as a hobby.
    just think of how many more free agents the yankees can buy now -- the luxury tax won't be as big of a deal since the owners will have more money.  And you'll also have more money so you'll be able to save now and spend to attend games, concerts, etc.

more money for working families/individuals is a good thing
    That's all fine and good but this bill is not designed to give working families and individuals more money.  If it was, like I said, it would be an income tax break, that is permanent. It's not and because of that you are going to be paying more in taxes in the long run.
    based on the tax bracket changes, my family is getting a hefty income tax break percentagewise.  not sure I'm following your logic.

and I'm definitely not following the phillies logic, but that's not a surprise
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    And gotta love the fallacy of trickle down economics.  There is an absolutely 0% chance the Yankees invest more money into players because the Steinbrenners get a tax break.

....just like corporations are not going to use their huge tax breaks to hire more people.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    I don't comment about politics in AMT because I hate having those fucking threads linger in my "participated" page. But it only took a fucking creep of a complete dipshit to turn a toothless, backwards, literal swamp of a state blue for a senator. GOTV all day everyday from now on.
    I just want to know how liberals are going to complain about paying less taxes.  I dunno know about you guys, but I like money -- especially being able to keep the money I earn.  Looks like this tax break has a great chance of passing which will give the Fixer family a 'pretty, pretty good' raise.

I certainly don't agree with a lot of what the GOP stands for (especially the social platforms), but I agree with almost all of their monetary policies.  Less taxes and smaller government are the way to go.
    So you're OK with sacrificing any redeeming moral principles for tax cuts? I hope you can say the same thing if it's your daughter some day.

And the fact that you think Republicans shove "small government" down your throat for the fact that they are removing "inefficiencies" is incredibly naive.

And, hey, at least you live on an island - always a good mindset in a world where ya gotta, ya know, live with other human beings. I don't mind paying taxes. I live living in a civilized society.
    what morals?  stand up morals like getting blow jobs in the white house as a sitting president?  I love when liberals play the morality card
    You mean like an adult and another adult? But, yeah, duly noted - when you're daughter is 14 let's hope karma of irony doesn't kick ya in the nuts.

At the heart of it, if I was "labeled" anything it would be an independent because swinging one way or another is fucking dumb.

But you remind me of my fucking dipshit religious zealot of a father-in-law that just has to put a label on any and everything. You forgot to spell it librul. How much Fox News do you watch in a week? Just curious. 

And, please, middle-aged, college-educated, gainlfully employed, white guy is here crying poor. Gimme a fucking break.
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

Bro, your tax cuts are for like 5 years...this bill is not supporting people like you long term.
    I will take 5 years of cuts over taxes staying the same or increasing
    But they're going to go up in the long run  because this cut is losing so much money from 'fuck you money' folks.

If this tax cut was to support people like me and you it would be a straight income tax break, period.
    with democrats in office taxes inevitably go up anyway.  I will happily take the cuts, which will be substantial for my family, and enjoy them while they last.  everyone should take that mindset
    Just like I would rather save less for retirement now than have to save more later, I would rather have my taxes not dive now and increase later to have to pay for these breaks for people who can buy sports teams as a hobby.
    just think of how many more free agents the yankees can buy now -- the luxury tax won't be as big of a deal since the owners will have more money.  And you'll also have more money so you'll be able to save now and spend to attend games, concerts, etc.

more money for working families/individuals is a good thing
    That's all fine and good but this bill is not designed to give working families and individuals more money.  If it was, like I said, it would be an income tax break, that is permanent. It's not and because of that you are going to be paying more in taxes in the long run.
    based on the tax bracket changes, my family is getting a hefty income tax break percentagewise.  not sure I'm following your logic.

and I'm definitely not following the phillies logic, but that's not a surprise
    Which expires...
    edited December 2017

I'm all for paying less taxes. However, something like this is usually needed to stimulate the economy and there's supposed to be a plan to pay for it.

In this case, the economy is moving along nicely and this plan is adding a trillion dollars to the deficit (which republicans used to want to cut).

There's no need for this other than for republicans to say they did something this year....that 29% of the public wants.

We're all going to be paying for it in the long run.

Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg

I'm all for paying less taxes. However, something like this is usually needed to stimulate the economy and there's supposed to be a plan to pay for it.

In this case, the economy is moving along nicely and this plan is adding a trillion dollars to the deficit (which republicans used to want to cut).

There's no need for this other than for republicans to say they did something this year....that 29% of the public wants.

Bingo
    I was joking.  I shouldn't have engaged in the political stuff.  I know 90% of this board is liberal.  Not gonna change anyone's mind, so I'm going to step away from that discussion and get back to ripping the ineptitude of my favorite baseball team
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

So you're OK with sacrificing any redeeming moral principles for tax cuts? I hope you can say the same thing if it's your daughter some day.

And the fact that you think Republicans shove "small government" down your throat for the fact that they are removing "inefficiencies" is incredibly naive.

And, hey, at least you live on an island - always a good mindset in a world where ya gotta, ya know, live with other human beings. I don't mind paying taxes. I live living in a civilized society.
    what morals?  stand up morals like getting blow jobs in the white house as a sitting president?  I love when liberals play the morality card
    You mean like an adult and another adult? But, yeah, duly noted - when you're daughter is 14 let's hope karma of irony doesn't kick ya in the nuts.

At the heart of it, if I was "labeled" anything it would be an independent because swinging one way or another is fucking dumb.

But you remind me of my fucking dipshit religious zealot of a father-in-law that just has to put a label on any and everything. You forgot to spell it librul. How much Fox News do you watch in a week? Just curious. 

And, please, middle-aged, college-educated, gainlfully employed, white guy is here crying poor. Gimme a fucking break.
    why are you bringing anthony weiner (btw, he's a democrat) into this?
    edited December 2017
    The Fixer said:
    I was joking.  I shouldn't have engaged in the political stuff.  I know 90% of this board is liberal.  Not gonna change anyone's mind, so I'm going to step away from that discussion and get back to ripping the ineptitude of my favorite baseball team

By the way---there's nothing conservative about adding a trillion dollars to the deficit.
    chinese-happy.jpg

I was an economics major.  My senior thesis was on the National Debt.  I actually know quite a bit about the ramifications of ever-increasing deficits.  

At the end of the day I have stopped caring.  It does affect every one of us to varying degrees, but the older I get the more short term I think about money.  I'd rather have lower taxes and a larger paycheck today than worry about long term ramifications of things -- because as individuals there isn't much we can do to control what's going to happen.  I don't waste energy concerning myself with things beyond my control.

Let people keep the majority of the money they earn.  I can worry about my family's future by balancing my own budget by spending, saving, and planning accordingly.  The government is arguably the least inefficient entity on the planet -- the less money we contribute to them, the better we all are, both long and short term.  Social security for example -- good luck if you're counting on that as part of your retirement portfolio.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    Think they move Hoskins?
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    The Fixer said:

I was an economics major.  My senior thesis was on the National Debt.  I actually know quite a bit about the ramifications of ever-increasing deficits.  

At the end of the day I have stopped caring.  It does affect every one of us to varying degrees, but the older I get the more short term I think about money.  I'd rather have lower taxes and a larger paycheck today than worry about long term ramifications of things -- because as individuals there isn't much we can do to control what's going to happen.  I don't waste energy concerning myself with things beyond my control.

Let people keep the majority of the money they earn.  I can worry about my family's future by balancing my own budget by spending, saving, and planning accordingly.  The government is arguably the least inefficient entity on the planet -- the less money we contribute to them, the better we all are, both long and short term.  Social security for example -- good luck if you're counting on that as part of your retirement portfolio.
    I seem to remember us having a pretty in depth argument  about the increasing debt and deficit under Obama. It's cute that you have now stopped caring about it when you did 6 months ago
    The Fixer said:

I seem to remember us having a pretty in depth argument  about the increasing debt and deficit under Obama. It's cute that you have now stopped caring about it when you did 6 months ago
    we can keep going around in circles here, but there's not much point.  liberals credited obama with lowering the deficit right after he ran up record level deficits.  that theory never made sense to me.  

I don't understand why liberals are getting so angry about the government cutting their taxes.  
    JK_Livin said:
    Think they move Hoskins?
    they shouldn't which means they probably will
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364
    The Fixer said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Think they move Hoskins?
    Got to be Hoskins, Williams, Alther or Herrera. I just read that Santana has seen the most pitches in baseball since 2011.
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    The Fixer said:
    The Fixer said:

we can keep going around in circles here, but there's not much point.  liberals credited obama with lowering the deficit right after he ran up record level deficits.  that theory never made sense to me.  

I don't understand why liberals are getting so angry about the government cutting their taxes.  
    • FY 2009 - Even though the budget had been approved, Congress added emergency funding to stop the Great Recession. It added the first year's worth of spending from Obama's Economic Stimulus Act to the FY 2009 budget. That $253 billion accrues to Obama.
    • FY 2010 - Obama's first budget created a $1.294 trillion deficit.
    • FY 2011 - This budget contributed $1.3 trillion to the debt.
    • FY 2012 - The deficit was $1.087 trillion. 
    • FY 2013 - This was the first Obama budget where the deficit, $679 billion, was less than $1 trillion. Thank sequestration, which forced a 10 percent cut in spending.
    • FY 2014 - The deficit was $485 billion.
    • FY 2015 - The deficit fell further, to $438 billion.
    • FY 2016 - The deficit is expected to be $600 billion
    • FY 2017 - The deficit is projected to be $441 billion.

They're fake tax cuts.
    edited December 2017
    The Fixer said:

Ironically, this is a very liberal way of looking at things. Spend now---worry about paying for shit later!

And these cuts aren't even permanent....well except for the corporate ones. 
    Post edited by The Juggler on
    chinese-happy.jpg
    JK_Livin said:
    The Fixer said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Think they move Hoskins?
    Got to be Hoskins, Williams, Alther or Herrera. I just read that Santana has seen the most pitches in baseball since 2011.
    Offense can be real good next year. Waiting on next shoe to drop for a pitcher....doubt they move Hoskins. 

Also still have Cesar as a trade chip 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    edited December 2017
    JK_Livin said:
    The Fixer said:
    JK_Livin said:
    Think they move Hoskins?
    Offense can be real good next year. Waiting on next shoe to drop for a pitcher....doubt they move Hoskins. 

Also still have Cesar as a trade chip 
    I go into my prediction machine and they trade Cesar, Herrera, and prospect (pick one) for Archer.
    I don't understand the signing.  I don't think the Yanks beat the Indians if they have a healthy Santana and he is a fine player, but seems like a really odd signing for where this team is.

Again, pushing your best prospect to his 2nd position. 
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,400
    Hey, Cliff, you guys get Machado yet, ya cocksucker?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xR-FLwonazA

That's 12 months from now.
    May as well get Trout & Harper too. 

Will the Phillies have  a shot at signing Machado?
    cutz said:

I think so.  They have the money.
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    cutz said:

I think so.  They have the money.
    they have a shot but doubt it will happen. 
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    how long did it take everyone to get home from work today?  roads were pretty bad near me.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    how long did it take everyone to get home from work today?  roads were pretty bad near me.
    So annoying. I had to come home for lunch later in the day. Took me about an hour to drive back. It's usually 20 minutes. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Center city was mayhem around 5:15 or so. Cars honking everywhere. No one moving. Pretty sure septa bus drivers went on strike. Got really lucky with my commute. Landed on an el that wasn't busy then got a bus immediately, though it was packed as I have ever seen one. Good times.
    Center city was mayhem around 5:15 or so. Cars honking everywhere. No one moving. Pretty sure septa bus drivers went on strike. Got really lucky with my commute. Landed on an el that wasn't busy then got a bus immediately, though it was packed as I have ever seen one. Good times.
    I was able to golf a couple times last December. Fuck this weather. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Yeah took me like an hour and 15 minutes or so to get home.  Usually takes like 15-20 minutes.  Tried to take back roads but no matter where i went it was bad.  Luckily google maps helped a little. I know some people took over 2 hours to get home so I guess i shouldn't feel too bad.
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,145
    edited December 2017
    You guys got Carlos Santana and Rob Thomson (close enough to Thomas)
    I miss igotid88