Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Another vote for Frozen!

I hope everyone who has GBC thoroughly enjoys it.  (Everyone else can avert their eyes and leave it off the dish!)

I love the idea of Ribs for Christmas.  Nothing says Happy Birthday Jesus! like delicious preparation of back ribs from a pig!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    hedonist said:
    Holy shit, Cliffy.

F Me, I shall think of you while shoveling in glorious forkfuls of GBC on Thursday =)
    'tis the season
  • Options
    Holiday feasts....gotta love them.
    Tomorrow, I prepare:
    5 pounds, slow cooked, hand-shredded, Orange Pork Shoulder (Butt)
    2 pounds, Carne Asada
    Some Spanish Rice w/saffron
    Black Beans
    Corn & Flour Tortillas (these are store bought, but are of high quality...attempts to make have not yielded desired results yet)
    All of the stuff that normally might join a taco party:
    Onion, Cilantro, Peppers, Avacado, Pico de Gallo, Cojita Cheese, olives
    For the super gringo bastards joining us we will have shredded "taco" cheese mixture and lettuce , along with some hard shell tortillas

This is not a meal to be missed ^^. 

Thursday, I help prepare a pretty traditional T-giving Feast.  NO DARN GBC!
    :)

Roast Turkey
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Ridiculous Gravy
    Rolls
    Olives
    Cranberry
    Spinach Cream Cheese dish
    Artichoke Hearts
    Chocolate Cream Pie
    Apple Pie

I think for Friday & Saturday with family we will eat some variation of turkey, steak, pork sandwiches until we tire of them.

Hope everyone has a feast (or two) to look forward to this week!

A taco feast on the Wednesday before thanksgiving sounds odd, but I like odd and it sounds delicious
    Yep!  My family (like many) enjoys food and when I come in for a visit they request that I cook at least one big meal.  I sent out some options and got split responses for Carne Asada Tacos and 'A Pork Dish' -- so I combined the requests.
    I like it.  Report back
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    What's the consensus on stuffing the bird?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    A good fisting is always good for the bird.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Unnecessary and messes up cooking time.  Just use the drippings in the stuffing.
  • Options
    Yeah, the time factor would be a wrench.  I might try it with a Cornish hen or something one of these days.

(tempo, I was expecting that =) )
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I usually smoke my turkey so no stuffing the bird for me!

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,770
    Made my brine for my - not one but TWO - turkeys that will be injected tomorrow night and then dropped in the fryer on Thursday; PUMPED.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2017
    The only thing good about Thanksgiving is “Alice’s Restaurant.”

Growing up on a farm in Florida, I never got why we had to suffer through one day a year eating shitty yankee food when our southern food had all the flavor. Plus, I had made friends with the damn tom turkey all year. Didn’t seem right to slaughter him like he was one of the dumbass chickens. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Made my brine for my - not one but TWO - turkeys that will be injected tomorrow night and then dropped in the fryer on Thursday; PUMPED.
    Injecting and pumping your turkeys, eh? Dare I ask what’s in the brine?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    I love Jamie Oliver's cooking shows. He's so awesome.
    Want to buy his cookbook about meals using only 5 ingredients.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Oh you dare - celery, onions, garlic sauteed in butter in a pan, then throwing in with that Worcestershire and banana peppers, then throwing in salt, cayenne pepper, black ground pepper, and couple cups of chicken stock; brought to a boil, strained it through cheese cloth. Tomorrow I'll pump that shit into the bird's breasts and thighs/legs with my injector, and rub some additional cayenne on the bird's breasts under the skin. Leave that in the fridge overnight, then they'll take a bath in some peanut oil for about 50 minutes each.

Best part of t-giving is not just Alice's Restaurant, but also The Last Waltz gets multiple rotations.
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Oh you dare - celery, onions, garlic sauteed in butter in a pan, then throwing in with that Worcestershire and banana peppers, then throwing in salt, cayenne pepper, black ground pepper, and couple cups of chicken stock; brought to a boil, strained it through cheese cloth. Tomorrow I'll pump that shit into the bird's breasts and thighs/legs with my injector, and rub some additional cayenne on the bird's breasts under the skin. Leave that in the fridge overnight, then they'll take a bath in some peanut oil for about 50 minutes each.

Best part of t-giving is not just Alice's Restaurant, but also The Last Waltz gets multiple rotations.
    Where'd you get your turkey?

Wish they'd do another one of those last waltz things here
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    hedonist said:
    I prefer to flip the bird.
  • Options
    OMGkatwomanOMGkatwoman Posts: 3,230
    Gonna make a fresh sugar pumpkin pie instead of the canned stuff after seeing on the news that some canned pumpkin pie filling is not actually pumpkin but pear puree, and "flavors". My sister swears by the fresh stuff! (oh oh, I said swear... shhh dont tell the Juggler) Happy cooking everyone! 
  • Options
    Gonna make a fresh sugar pumpkin pie instead of the canned stuff after seeing on the news that some canned pumpkin pie filling is not actually pumpkin but pear puree, and "flavors". My sister swears by the fresh stuff! (oh oh, I said swear... shhh dont tell the Juggler) Happy cooking everyone! 
    That Juggler is a lazy POS these days.

And he's probably still got the chili shits.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

Esposito's. Dude, walking home with two turkeys (30 lbs in all) is NOT fun.

At some point when I'm rich (this means it's never happening) I will throw a Friendsgiving with live music in order of The Last Waltz, and will pay for Garth to show up.
  • Options
    dankind said:

Esposito's. Dude, walking home with two turkeys (30 lbs in all) is NOT fun.

At some point when I'm rich (this means it's never happening) I will throw a Friendsgiving with live music in order of The Last Waltz, and will pay for Garth to show up.
    Word.  Was assuming that was the spot.  Was hoping you weren't brining a supermarket bird.

HA, well Garth will likely kick the bucket by then, but I am down.  Rent a South Philly hall, get a band and some guests, boom.  Tell me when, where and how much I gotta contribute to make it happen.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    So what’s eveyone’s favorite Thanksgiving side dish? I gotta go with sweet potato casserole w/marshmallows. Yummmmmm!
  • Options
    For me, it's just the overall quantity and quality.
    If I had to pick a side, it would be my mother's broccoli and cheese casserole.
    It is rice based with tons of onion, and the cheese used is cheez Wiz from a jar.
    I know how that sounds lol, but it's truly delicious and that's all that matters on Turkey Day.
  • Options
    Man, I just never understood the sweet potatoes with marshmallows.

Fav side is some tie between biscuits and mashed potatoes all slathered in gravy. Scratch that - it's the gravy.

Tomorrow: The ideal leftover turkey sandwich.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    rgambs said:
    For me, it's just the overall quantity and quality.
    If I had to pick a side, it would be my mother's broccoli and cheese casserole.
    It is rice based with tons of onion, and the cheese used is cheez Wiz from a jar.
    I know how that sounds lol, but it's truly delicious and that's all that matters on Turkey Day.
    Yeah, for me it's my mom's cauliflower casserole, which is really just cauliflower in a super good cream sauce and topped with baked crumbs. Delicious... and it looks good too.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Food coma: Engage!
  • Options
    I'm so hungry but can't figure out what to eat so that I'm still down for (semi?) gluttony in a few hours.
  • Options

Fav side is some tie between biscuits and mashed potatoes all slathered in gravy. Scratch that - it's the gravy.

I had two things today for the first time that I loved!  Sauteed asparagus with cumin and roasted beets.  Game changers for me.

Tomorrow @Jearlpam0925 I make turkey salad!!!

Turkey, mayo, celery, white vinegar and black pepper!!!

• Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    ^ Roasted beets are amazing! Roasted, pickled any type for that matter.  I roasted rutabagas for the first time today (I've only had them a few times before) with garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and afterwards drizzled with balsamic vinegar. Sooo good! The family had mixed opinions on the rutabagas. lol

My favorite sides are usually the casseroles. Broccoli cheese and YESS green bean casserole...NOT disgusting ;)
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,234
    Went to the in laws yesterday. God love them but......it's just not the same. So heading down to my parents place for Thanksgiving part deux tomorrow. I will put my mom's stuffing up against any stuffing in the entire universe.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,463
    Went to the in laws yesterday. God love them but......it's just not the same. So heading down to my parents place for Thanksgiving part deux tomorrow. I will put my mom's stuffing up against any stuffing in the entire universe.
    Would love to try it and then see how it compares to my dads Newfie stuffing. His is just awesome and all who have had it say it's the best they ever had :)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options

I had two things today for the first time that I loved!  Sauteed asparagus with cumin and roasted beets.  Game changers for me.

Tomorrow @Jearlpam0925 I make turkey salad!!!

Turkey, mayo, celery, white vinegar and black pepper!!!

As in like a chicken salad - mayo-based salad jawn?

If so not far off from the ideal leftover turkey sandwich - now ya keep this thing simple. WHITE bread, gotta be white bread, the more food processed the better - Stroemann's, Wonder, etc; mayo on both slices, salt and pepper; throw on your turkey; then throw on those canned cranberry sauce slabs and salt it. Put it together. That's all that should make up a leftover turkey sandwich; tastes like childhood.