Kaepernick

Comments

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Is it okay to disregard a request for a moment's silence?

For example, if the US' next mass shooting produces multiple police officers killed in the process of dealing with the situation... and in the city where the mass murder occurs (with legally acquired weapons and ammunition of course)... the PA announcer asks that people rise and pay a moment's silence for the fallen officers... would it be okay to disregard such a request?  
    I don't think they are the same. that moment of silence is about something very specific, one tragic event. the anthem is not just about soldiers, or one war, or one event. it's a multitude of things. 

I for one, would disagree with someone not standing for your scenario above. 
    But it's well within our rights.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited October 2017
    dankind said:

For example, if the US' next mass shooting produces multiple police officers killed in the process of dealing with the situation... and in the city where the mass murder occurs (with legally acquired weapons and ammunition of course)... the PA announcer asks that people rise and pay a moment's silence for the fallen officers... would it be okay to disregard such a request?  
    I don't think they are the same. that moment of silence is about something very specific, one tragic event. the anthem is not just about soldiers, or one war, or one event. it's a multitude of things. 

well of course it is. but that wasn't the question. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited October 2017
    dankind said:

Hence my use of the proper conjunction for a contrasting segue.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    dankind said:

It's a good question. If someone who feels that police abuse their power to begin with, then maybe they wouldn't want to honor that moment of silence because they feel it is justice. Not that I agree with it, but I don't think that it isn't unreasonable for someone to think that way.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:

It's a good question. If someone who feels that police abuse their power to begin with, then maybe they wouldn't want to honor that moment of silence because they feel it is justice. Not that I agree with it, but I don't think that it isn't unreasonable for someone to think that way.
    it is. but you aren't being asked to stand to honour the police force as a unit.  you are being asked to stand to honour a specific fallen cop. I think that might be different. However, I do see what you are saying. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

dankind said:
    dankind said:

Hence my use of the proper conjunction for a contrasting segue.
    fair enough, professor. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    We would probably all get along better if we stopped being offended by how others honor a moment of silence, mourn, protest, fuck, pray, eat, drink, look, line up for pj merch, vote, think, live, die....
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• ed243421 said:
    We would probably all get along better if we stopped being offended by how others honor a moment of silence, mourn, protest, fuck, pray, eat, drink, look, line up for pj merch, vote, think, live, die....
    Some of those actions impact others though and it's hard to simply dismiss them when that impact is significant.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    i would hope that no one would be a big enough asshole to ignore a moment of silence for people who have passed away.  no matter what the circumstances that would be a really heartless thing to do,
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    And denigrating the peaceful protest of people who are trying to reduce racism and violence is a heartless thing to do. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited October 2017

What do you mean "okay"? Nobody is obligated to honour a moment of silence. Nobody is obligated to honour anything they don't want to honour. Isn't "obligating" someone to do such things against their will essentially a threat or blackmail?

This reminds me of some conversation some of us were having a while back about taking off your hat during the national anthem. I remember saying that when I see people not doing it a will give them the stink eye because "we're living in a society". I would say the same about a moment of silence.... but things have a change a bit since then, and I've changed my perspective. I think the vast majority of people who do such things are simply being disrespectful for no reason - they are simply oblivious and lazy and ignorant - you can tell by their demeanor, as they gab to their friend and swig beer. Those people still deserve the stink eye IMO, lol, though nothing more. But if someone feels that they have a legitimate personal reason to not respect that moment of silence or that anthem, then I think refusing to go along with that social norm is the right thing to do, whether I agree with their perspective or not. I'll just hope that most of the people who do that aren't doing it because, you know, they hate everyone and plan on committing a terrorist act or whatever.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    I think there should be a different protest demonstration every week at these sporitng events.  Let's get all sports involved.  I don't want the NBA to feel like they are left out.  Baseball, Rodeos, Ice boating all of it.
     I think this coming weekend, all the players should step out of the players line and instead of kneeling, they should do the Michael Jackson Moonwalk.  Might be hard to do with cleats on,, so they should all take off and throw their shoes at somebody, and then do some Moonwalking during the anthem.  Maybe spin around 3 times fast at the end, and try to land on their tippy toes.  It would be awesome.
    Next week, step out and do some sort of shake your booty dance for those two minutes.  Mix it up a bit, make it interesting.  Highlight what ever, or whoever you want to protest this week, and have at it.  Dance my brothers and sisters, during the anthem, at funerals, it doesn't matter.
    Its what ever you want, where ever you want, and how ever you want.  If we can't have a little fun in these troubled times, all is lost.
    RYME said:
    I think there should be a different protest demonstration every week at these sporitng events.  Let's get all sports involved.  I don't want the NBA to feel like they are left out.  Baseball, Rodeos, Ice boating all of it.
     I think this coming weekend, all the players should step out of the players line and instead of kneeling, they should do the Michael Jackson Moonwalk.  Might be hard to do with cleats on,, so they should all take off and throw their shoes at somebody, and then do some Moonwalking during the anthem.  Maybe spin around 3 times fast at the end, and try to land on their tippy toes.  It would be awesome.
    Next week, step out and do some sort of shake your booty dance for those two minutes.  Mix it up a bit, make it interesting.  Highlight what ever, or whoever you want to protest this week, and have at it.  Dance my brothers and sisters, during the anthem, at funerals, it doesn't matter.
    Its what ever you want, where ever you want, and how ever you want.  If we can't have a little fun in these troubled times, all is lost.
    so in other words, you don't think these protests are legitimate. says a lot.
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    so in other words, you don't think these protests are legitimate. says a lot.

Yeah. Nice to see peaceful civil protest of violence being equated with "shake your booty".
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, says a lot about me.
    Protesters should not mind being protested. It goes both ways.

Like I say they are free to do whatever they want.  I don't have to like it.
    And that does not  make me racist, pro violence, pro oppression.
    But I am kinda proud of that Ragged Old Flag.

https://youtu.be/-KqrjeScLSI

• tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    RYME said:

But I am kinda proud of that ragged old flag.

What about the flag itself makes you proud? Serious question.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    RYME said:

The protesters have a specific cause and a legitimate grievance. What is yours, aside from "I don't like it"?
  • riley540riley540 Denver Colorado Posts: 1,128
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

The flag represents the brightest beacon of freedom in the entire world. Regardless of President, good or bad, through thick and thin, the United States thrives and offers entrepreneurial success to those willing to work hard. I love the history of the United States. The founding of the country. The abolishment of slavery, the great times, and the bad times. I absolutely love everything about the United States. It’s an idea, that always seems to keep working no matter how shitty things can get. The flag represents all of that for me. And anybody can disagree or try to pick apart what I said, but it’s how I feel and nothing can really change that. 
    RYME said:

The protesters have a specific cause and a legitimate grievance. What is yours, aside from "I don't like it"?

tbergs said:
    RYME said:

edited October 2017
    RYME said:
    RYME said:

tbergs said:
    RYME said:

That poem by Johnny Cash is a good place to start.  Did you listen to it?
    The American flag does not represent oppression.
    Liberty and Freedom is what it represents.  Is America perfect?  No, it's a work in progress.  Definitely needs work.
    What makes me proud of the American Flag, are the men and women throughout history  who fought for this country hoping for a better life for future generations.  Oppression was not the goal.
    The flag represents hardiness, valor, vigilance, perseverance, & Justice.

Waylon Jennings
    America
    https://youtu.be/6YYzIWTE1L4
    Post edited by RYME on
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Johnny, Waylon, Willie and Kris were outlaws.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

The flag represents the brightest beacon of freedom in the entire world. Regardless of President, good or bad, through thick and thin, the United States thrives and offers entrepreneurial success to those willing to work hard. I love the history of the United States. The founding of the country. The abolishment of slavery, the great times, and the bad times. I absolutely love everything about the United States. It’s an idea, that always seems to keep working no matter how shitty things can get. The flag represents all of that for me. And anybody can disagree or try to pick apart what I said, but it’s how I feel and nothing can really change that. 
    That's fine you feel that way. Unfortunately, there are millions who look at that flag and see oppression, racial injustice and modern day Imperialism. Could you imagine what it would be like to have a tank drive down your block displaying the flag of another country? Would you like that flag?

Look, I agree with you that the US is probably the best place to reap the rewards of hard work. But to say you love everything about the United States?? That is some serious blind Patriotism.
  • SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,517
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    RYME said:

it does when you make it clear that you think oppression of minorities is a joke. 

are you proud of it when you see it on someone's underwear? is that respecting that "ragged old flag"?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    Some really classy guys hang out around here.
    I think the Flag also represents your rights to shit & piss on it all you want.
    That's why I think the people who are doing so are misguided.
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    oh, you mean, like, making fun of oppression and minorities being indiscriminately killed by cops? SUPER classy. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    oh, you mean, like, making fun of oppression and minorities being indiscriminately killed by cops? SUPER classy. 
    The initial protests by Kaepernick were about oppression.  The latest league wide protest was aimed at Trump.  I never made fun of oppression and minorities being in indiscriminately killed by cops.  I'm totally against that.
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    The initial protests by Kaepernick were about oppression.  The latest league wide protest was aimed at Trump.  I never made fun of oppression and minorities being in indiscriminately killed by cops.  I'm totally against that.
    As you shake your booty. 
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    RYME said:
    RYME said:
    Smellyman said:
    riley540 said:
    tbergs said:
    RYME said:

You should get out more
    The fact that you keep saying that the protests are against Trump doesn't necessarily make it true, but even if it were, it's due to the fact the Trump has tried to quash those legitimate protests.
    RYME said:
    this is making fun of the protests. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD