Options

Kaepernick

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,118
    Jason P said:
    Kap farts and Nike makes a billion.  A NFL contract is rather insignificant at this point.
    yes this is what I think is driving him now. Well, I think he is 100% authentic on his cause but that he actually doesn’t want to play football, just use it (probably like he thinks they used him) to further his cause.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    He's better than some QBs that will start this week.
    Like who?

Eli Manning
    Trubisky
    Haskins
    David Blough

None of those guys should be starting in the NFL.  
    Philip Rivers
    Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco
    Jared Goff

he’s better than them as well
    So you think the chargers should cut rivers and pay Kap? Get the hell out of here.

Brkwns should get rid of Mayfield? C’mon.

Broncos who already tried to get him and he declined? No chance.

Goff? Really? You are out of your mind.

clearly people that don’t watch any football shouldn’t be talking 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    OnWis97 said:
    But he’s older and more expensive. It’s not the only part of the equation. 
    It’s not even any part of the equation. Neither is age or cost.

The equation is:
    CK+Snowflake Fans = Bad PR

You know that’s not all of it. He’s had contract offer since. Turned down the broncos early on. 

He wants more $. Or perhaps he wants to say no and just make his Nike $. Don’t know.  

"Early on" being before he even started his protest, and before he left the 49ers, and therefore irrelevant to this issue. 

Edit: I take it back; it's not irrelevant, it's quite relevant. The broncos offered him a contract in early 2016 but then somehow were not interested in him after he began his protest. Odd how his skills were good enough for them before he started taking a knee. 
    Not true it was after his protests 
    I’ve read two articles that said it was before he began the protests. Do you have a source for your claim? 

Here’s one 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/john-elway-blames-colin-kaepernick-for-no-job-had-his-chance-to-be-here-omits-key-fact/amp/

Hmmm think you are right. I know he had another offer to play football but I don’t think it was the NFL now that I’ve read more. Been so long I guess I got it messed up on the timeline. My apologies.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,933
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like who?

Eli Manning
    Trubisky
    Haskins
    David Blough

Philip Rivers
    Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco
    Jared Goff

Better than Philip rivers?!  Man I want to have what you guys are drinking.  How can a guy that hasn’t played a snap in years be better than a starter?  This is just a silly argument.  The dude is done.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    How can you do any worse than lose?  
    Rivers is so washed up it is pathetic.  He can't even pull his signature move, which of course is to make faces and yell at his teammates.  

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like who?

Eli Manning
    Trubisky
    Haskins
    David Blough

Philip Rivers
    Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco
    Jared Goff

So you think the chargers should cut rivers and pay Kap? Get the hell out of here.

I like how you dismiss the opinion of others devoid of any fucking facts.  "People that don't watch any football shouldn't be talking"
    He is a Chiefs fan and actively posts on the NFL thread.

I think that would be the same silliness as making a sweeping generalization based on the same amount of factual data/knowledge and say "clearly people who don't like CK because they think America is a lovely and unbiased place for people of color shouldn't be talking"

• Options
    How can you do any worse than lose?  
    Rivers is so washed up it is pathetic.  He can't even pull his signature move, which of course is to make faces and yell at his teammates.  

Rivers, big ben and eli all could be retiring at the end of this year.  Crazy!
  • Options
    Yeah those are three that came in together and were great.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    The question is, if you were an owner, would you really want everythign that comes with him, good and bad?  I was disappointed that he framed his workout and getting an offer as somewhat of a social justice issue.  I'm 100% empathetic and believe in his cause.  I don't think the national anthem is about the troops.  I think it's perfectly acceptable and appropriate to kneel.  But I'm also sympathetic to an owner not wanting to deal with the drama at this point.  
  • Options
    The owners absolutely can make that choice, from either an economic or moral position.  Just don't collude as a group and don't try and say it is because he is not good enough.  

• Options
    The owners absolutely can make that choice, from either an economic or moral position.  Just don't collude as a group and don't try and say it is because he is not good enough.  

My guess is that Kap got a pretty good payout for the collusion deal.  Deservedly. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    I'm taking a knee for how totally off the mark most of this thread is related to it's original intent.

:lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ahh, I think it continues to call attention to the facts that he is sharing.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,840
    Weird how Kaepernick’s peaceful protest for justice for the black community is too much drama for the owners, yet the NFL is still full of domestic abusers. It seems that some vague, ill-informed sense of “respect for the flag” (but not what it stands for” is more important than respect for women. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Weird how Kaepernick’s peaceful protest for justice for the black community is too much drama for the owners, yet the NFL is still full of domestic abusers. It seems that some vague, ill-informed sense of “respect for the flag” (but not what it stands for” is more important than respect for women. 
    Like Ray Rice?  
  • Options
    For every Kap type you name I'll name a domestic abuser not in the league and another person who kneeled and is still in the league. 
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Like Ray Rice?  
    Or Josh Brown or Greg hardy?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    I totally respect what he was trying to do; I just don’t think you can be out of the game that long and still be good.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I totally respect what he was trying to do; I just don’t think you can be out of the game that long and still be good.  
    This is true.  I watched some footage and it wasn't particularly impressive.  It's also not indicative of live action. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    For every Kap type you name I'll name a domestic abuser not in the league and another person who kneeled and is still in the league. 
    What is a "Kap type"? I don't even know what you're arguing here. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    While many players knelt,  only Kap is in the specific situation.  I was highly critical of the NFL for how they handled the situation,  but the dickhole president made it a wedge issue.  And then the NFL likely colluded to keep him out. All of that is condemnable.  But your statement is over stated.  The NFL essentially colluded to keep Rice out for the same basic reason.  Bad publicity.  And he was a much better player than Kap. At this point,  if Kap really wanted to play again he would not have centered that interview around social justice.  It would have been about him only.  
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    While many players knelt,  only Kap is in the specific situation.  I was highly critical of the NFL for how they handled the situation,  but the dickhole president made it a wedge issue.  And then the NFL likely colluded to keep him out. All of that is condemnable.  But your statement is over stated.  The NFL essentially colluded to keep Rice out for the same basic reason.  Bad publicity.  And he was a much better player than Kap. At this point,  if Kap really wanted to play again he would not have centered that interview around social justice.  It would have been about him only.  

"...if Kap really wanted to play again he would not have centered that interview around social justice.  It would have been about him only."

It seems you're missing the entire point of his protest, if you don't want it to be about social justice. Are you arguing that he should be abandoning the protest now, just so that he can play? 

"Only Kap is in the specific situation" because he led the protest. The league was never going to terminate dozens of players, which just proves how hypocritical they are. 

And Rice is far from the only domestic abuser in the league. The domestic abuse policy is lax at best, inconsistently applied and fairly easy to get around. 

Edit: "The NFL essentially colluded to keep Rice out for the same reason. Bad publicity." You're honestly equating the two? That's an absurd argument. No question that a guy who assaults his partner should be out of NFL. That's not collusion, that's a rare bit of common sense. 
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

"...if Kap really wanted to play again he would not have centered that interview around social justice.  It would have been about him only."

It seems you're missing the entire point of his protest, if you don't want it to be about social justice. Are you arguing that he should be abandoning the protest now, just so that he can play? 

"Only Kap is in the specific situation" because he led the protest. The league was never going to terminate dozens of players, which just proves how hypocritical they are. 

And Rice is far from the only domestic abuser in the league. The domestic abuse policy is lax at best, inconsistently applied and fairly easy to get around. 
    I'll reply to the rest later,  but the collective bargaining agreement governs the suspensions and expulsions for those issues. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I'll reply to the rest later,  but the collective bargaining agreement governs the suspensions and expulsions for those issues. 
    Sure, and can be gotten around. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Who’s playing in the nfl at the moment that has gotten around this?

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like who?

Eli Manning
    Trubisky
    Haskins
    David Blough

Philip Rivers
    Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco
    Jared Goff

Rivers should retire at the end of the season.
    Mayfield is a hot mess and will not come close to his rookie season.
    Still means he's better than Flacco.
    Goff is regressing and without an All-Pro RB, which Todd Gurley is no more, cannot will his team to win.

I'm not saying anyone should cut players and sign Kap.  I'm saying he can play better than those four QBs.  I watch football, probably more than you if you believe any one of these 4 QBs will make their team a winner.  Either they're too old (Rivers), arrogant (Mayfield) or weren't that good in the first place (Goff).
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like who?

Eli Manning
    Trubisky
    Haskins
    David Blough

Philip Rivers
    Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco
    Jared Goff

I like how you dismiss the opinion of others devoid of any fucking facts.  "People that don't watch any football shouldn't be talking"

I think that would be the same silliness as making a sweeping generalization based on the same amount of factual data/knowledge and say "clearly people who don't like CK because they think America is a lovely and unbiased place for people of color shouldn't be talking"

I appreciate the support, but I don't need to justify or prove to anyone how much football I "watch" or how big of a "fan" I am to the team I root for.  If you want to perceive me as ignorant, go right ahead.  I know who I am.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

You're right, they could collude and refuse to sign someone for reputational reasons.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Edit: "The NFL essentially colluded to keep Rice out for the same reason. Bad publicity." You're honestly equating the two? That's an absurd argument. No question that a guy who assaults his partner should be out of NFL. That's not collusion, that's a rare bit of common sense. 
    1. I understand why he protested.  However, if his goal of the workout was to get a contract, he would have been better served to not make the signing the of him a social justice issue.  It should have been an issue of winning.  Signing Kap to a contract will not stop one person of color from being beaten by a shitty cop.  

2. It may be lax, but as I said, it's the CBO.  And the players, with support of the union have appeals, recourse, arbitration and other options if something were inconsistently applied.

3.  Because you agreed with the reasoning doesn't necessarily make it okay to collude.  If I owned a team I would not have offered Rice a contract, no question.  But I probably wouldn't offer Kap one either today.  Every single question during the week will be about him, his issues, etc.  And then they will go ask the other players about him.  Then the coaches during the pressers.  It's all nothing but a distraction and at the end of the day, a team should want to win.  As someone said earlier, he's been out so long that I'm not so sure he's better than many other qbs.  Certainly not better than Rivers, Mayfield and the others mentioned above.  Now if he was on my team when this whole thing started, I would not have cut him.  But at this point, I would not want the drama that comes with Kap.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Like who?

Eli Manning
    Trubisky
    Haskins
    David Blough

Philip Rivers
    Baker Mayfield
    Joe Flacco
    Jared Goff

I appreciate the support, but I don't need to justify or prove to anyone how much football I "watch" or how big of a "fan" I am to the team I root for.  If you want to perceive me as ignorant, go right ahead.  I know who I am.
    All cool, it wasn't a post to support as much as point out that the comments were silly.  Disagree, sure.  Dismiss?  I guess, but that opens the door for others to make the same sort of assumptions absent facts.