I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Grant Hart, Good News For Modern Man.  Excellent!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    I'd like a copy of Melon collie and infinite sadness.  What version am I looking for?
    This is the one I'd recommend - 

https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing-Pumpkins-Mellon-Collie-And-The-Infinite-Sadness/release/7139534
    There's no way to tell if it's a 1st or this the 2nd press without opening it so retailers could still have old stock.
  • jazzbo26jazzbo26 Framingham, MA Posts: 674
    FR181798 said:
    I'd like a copy of Melon collie and infinite sadness.  What version am I looking for?
    Originals have the regular gatefold sleeve with a white box in the corner, these can be numbered or not. The first run was 5000 but they did about 20- 30000 of these so I don't know why its still so expensive. No white box then it's a fake. If you are going the reissue route then best to get the EU pressed box as no reported issues. The US box has 2 pressings, the first has some inner groove distortion on one disc. The 2nd press is reportedly pressed better but no way to tell the difference from the outside.. If you hold off I believe there may be another pressing on the horizon in a regular gatefold sleeve. The choice is yours
    Just picked this up at Newbury Comics during a 25% off sale. It had been sitting on the shelf staring at me for months. Asked the manager if this ended up being the 2012 distorted release, would I be able to return it even though it had never officially been recalled due to a defect. He said no problem and we both figured the odds of it being the older pressing were slim. It ended up being the newer 2014 press with no issues. Sounds great!
  • iammine16iammine16 Vancouver, BC Posts: 773
    edited September 2017
    Delayed post, these are the newest ones I got

Post edited by iammine16 on
    Vancouver, BC - 2005
    Vancouver, BC - 2009
    Vancouver, BC - 2011
    Vancouver, BC - 2013
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Mountain View, CA - 2014
    Quebec City, QC - 2016
    Ottawa, ON - 2016
    Pemberton, BC - 2016
    Seattle, WA 1 - 2018
    Seattle, WA 2 - 2018
    jazzbo26 said:
    FR181798 said:
    Originals have the regular gatefold sleeve with a white box in the corner, these can be numbered or not. The first run was 5000 but they did about 20- 30000 of these so I don't know why its still so expensive. No white box then it's a fake. If you are going the reissue route then best to get the EU pressed box as no reported issues. The US box has 2 pressings, the first has some inner groove distortion on one disc. The 2nd press is reportedly pressed better but no way to tell the difference from the outside.. If you hold off I believe there may be another pressing on the horizon in a regular gatefold sleeve. The choice is yours
    Just picked this up at Newbury Comics during a 25% off sale. It had been sitting on the shelf staring at me for months. Asked the manager if this ended up being the 2012 distorted release, would I be able to return it even though it had never officially been recalled due to a defect. He said no problem and we both figured the odds of it being the older pressing were slim. It ended up being the newer 2014 press with no issues. Sounds great!
    Nice one. A lot of retailers can sometimes be funny about vinyl returns.
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited September 2017
    DC29940 said:
    I know there are a couple different pressings out there, but I am honestly not sure where or how to tell the difference. I took a flyer and picked this up through BestBuy.com. It was on sale for $79.99 and I had $35 in gift certificates, so it was practically a no brainer taking a flyer and picking it up for $45. I've listened to it all except LP4, and it sounds great to my ears. "Tonight, Tonight" sounded so beautiful coming out of the speakers when I dropped the needle. I don't think you can go wrong if you can get a deal on it.
    I've always liked Bodies.  That's the song I crank.

I'll take a look for it at BB.  Thx.

Unless anyone has any other pressings I should look for?
    I would just get the one that costs the least if I were you.
    I've personally got this one, and I'm very pleased with it: https://www.discogs.com/The-Smashing-Pumpkins-Mellon-Collie-And-The-Infinite-Sadness/release/4082874

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    PJ—Let’s Play Two
    The War On Drugs—A Deeper Understanding Boxset
    The White Stripes—Icky Thump Vault
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    edited September 2017
    BTW, re the groove distortion on the 1st US reissue of Mellon Collie .... I got that version I believe, and I haven't noticed a single thing wrong with it, so it's either not as common as some would have you think, or it's too minor to worry about.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    ^ interesting info on the Mellon colllie.  I had catalogued the wrong one and I have the 2014 one I guess based on the runout info.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,136
    -mofi Garcia/Grisman: Shady Grove
    -Poolside: Pacific Standard Time (prob my new favorite groove/funk album)
    -Ill considered: improv jazz
    -reznor/Ross: the Vietnam war
    -sts9: artifact
    -brand new: deja entendu 

I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    PJ_Soul said:
    BTW, re the groove distortion on the 1st US reissue of Mellon Collie .... I got that version I believe, and I haven't noticed a single thing wrong with it, so it's either not as common as some would have you think, or it's too minor to worry about.
    Agreed. I have this one too. The issue is very very minor and brief. Nothing to skip over buying this release especially if it is discounted because of this problem
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited September 2017
    Maybe your tables don't pick it up as much, on mine, Zero was unlistenable after 30 seconds. 2 of the other sides of the "first disc" were awful too - Porcelina I think was one). It most certainly was widespread. if your table doesn't pick up on it, thats awesome. 

certainly don't skip the release, but very much try to get the one with more deadwax. (The bad one has next to no deadwax on Side 1. You'll know upon looking at it)

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • DC29940DC29940 Tucson, AZ Posts: 630
    Maybe your tables don't pick it up as much, on mine, Zero was unlistenable after 30 seconds. 2 of the other sides of the "first disc" were awful too - Porcelina I think was one). It most certainly was widespread. if your table doesn't pick up on it, thats awesome. 

certainly don't skip the release, but very much try to get the one with more deadwax. (The bad one has next to no deadwax on Side 1. You'll know upon looking at it)

Well based on this the one I got from Best Buy is the newer 2014 pressing. Plenty of dead wax on side A.
    Kansas City 7.03.98
    St. Louis 10.11.00
    Kansas City 10.12.00
    St. Louis 4.22.03
    Kansas City 6.12.03
    St. Louis 10.5.04
    Kansas City 5.3.10
    Phoenix (EV) 11.4.12
    Phoenix 11.19.13
    Wrigley 1 8.20.16
    Seattle 1 8.8.18
    Phoenix 4.11.20
    Phoenix 5.9.22
    Indianapolis 9.10.23
    Indianapolis 8.26.24
  • I wish I had my first reissue pressing to take a pic. It was literally a quarter of an inch of deadwax between the label and the end of zero. Maybe some of you have a table that's a bit more forgiving of the IGD, but I tried it on all 3 of my tables and it was ass on all of them. 
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,865
    edited September 2017
    hers the SP thread at VC, where people start talking about the IGD issue. I think it was pretty widespread. 

http://boards.vinylcollective.com/topic/66774-smashing-pumpkins/?page=45
    Post edited by Tim Simmons on
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,945
    Weird I don't recall having any issues with my melon collie reissue (I use a Denon DP-300f turntable with an ortofon red cartidge).

Records I bought over the past week:

Prophets of Rage (I quite like it, but it also makes me wish it was a rage album)
    Foo Fighters - Concrete and Gold
    Guardians of The Galaxy - Awesome Mix Vol. 2

On the way (hopefully):

Twin Peaks - Limited Event Series - Colour Vinyl
    Prophets of Rage - EP (not sure how  I missed it when it came out)
    Let's Play Two

edited September 2017

Bummer. I wonder how many had issues? I know for sure that I don't have a single skip on mine. I remember someone mentioning that the wider spread problem may have just been some kind of brief warble during one song (which I also don't have on mine). I hadn't heard about bigger problems like the ones you're talking about, Tim.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
  • Yeah, it was weird. And Virgin didn't even address it. But they had it recut, so it must have been pretty prevalent to address it covertly with a new cut. 

Anyway I'm only harping on it because it was handled so poorly by the label and to confuse matters the EU pressing from the time was fine. So there are 2 pressings out there that sound great and one that is hit or miss (lots of misses based on VC and Hoffman threads) for many out there. I think its important that people get all the info. 

• dudemandudeman Posts: 2,962
    Does that album sound better on vinyl than cd?

I like some of the music but the production really turned me off. 
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
    edited September 2017
    dudeman said:

I haven't heard the CD is years.... but I know that it sounds awesome on my turntable. However, the production of the CD never turned me off in the first place (I remember carrying it around in my backpack with me for months in university... along with my discman :) ), so maybe we just have different expectations from this album, I don't know.
    Perhaps. I never listened to the album much. I played it a couple weeks ago and the immediate listening fatigue reminded me why it's not in my regular rotation. 

I might try to find a vinyl copy to determine if it's the format or the production. 
    dudeman said:
    Perhaps. I never listened to the album much. I played it a couple weeks ago and the immediate listening fatigue reminded me why it's not in my regular rotation. 

I might try to find a vinyl copy to determine if it's the format or the production. 
    Well, there you go. I consider this album to be one of the 10 best albums of the 90s and one of the 5 best double-albums of all time. ;) FWIW, the album has good sound, and I definitely never thought, Oh, this doesn't sound like I remember, nor that it doesn't sound good because of production. How much of that is fan bias? I have no idea, lol.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Pearl Jam - Let's Play Two
    War On Drugs - Deeper Understanding limited ed. box set.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • dudeman said:

They definitely played with the sonics a bit on the reissue. Its a bit louder. But not overly awful. The original pressing sounds a bit crisper and gentler. I liked the OP better than the original CD. I think the repress is probably as good as the CD despite being a touch louder.

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    dudeman said:

They definitely played with the sonics a bit on the reissue. Its a bit louder. But not overly awful. The original pressing sounds a bit crisper and gentler. I liked the OP better than the original CD. I think the repress is probably as good as the CD despite being a touch louder.

The 1996 OG I have is the best pressing. The CD mastering on the original CD was horrible.

The 2012 repress is also good both on CD and Vinyl. Didn't have any issues with the US pressing.

I prefer the 1996 pressing because the track listing is totally different. as many time as I listened to the CD, it is cool to hear it in a different order.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• YardenYarden Posts: 820
    Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Son of a Lady EP

• buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    Good info on the Mellon Collie vinyl pressings. Thanks everyone! 
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,596
    Yarden said:
    Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions - Son of a Lady EP

Cool! Is Dave Roback with her on that one?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

I've got the new WPC - Billy Corgan LP on preorder so gave Monuments a spin today, it's really grown on me, a pretty decent Pumpkins LP, could be my favourite since Mellon Collie.