Options

I just picked up _____ on vinyl!

Comments

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Any one care to recommend a good record washing/cleaning kit?  I'm looking for something that I can pickup or order through any marketplace but Amazon.  I have a few records that are pretty filthy most notably my OP Bridges To Babylon that I really need to clean up.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    static111 said:
    Any one care to recommend a good record washing/cleaning kit?  I'm looking for something that I can pickup or order through any marketplace but Amazon.  I have a few records that are pretty filthy most notably my OP Bridges To Babylon that I really need to clean up.
    Minus getting a vacuum/wet cleaner or an ultrasonic I think spin clean works pretty well 

to be honest the only reason I bought that one is because it’s on pro ject’s website.  They don’t make it but if it’s listed there I kind of trust it more than the several other similar looking options 
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    edited February 2022
    static111 said:
    Minus getting a vacuum/wet cleaner or an ultrasonic I think spin clean works pretty well 

The spin clean is definitely my choice. Easy to use and cleans really well.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141

www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
    edited February 2022
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378

So glad you grabbed the live anthology. Crank it!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,818

Solid choices. Can you actually let me know after you listen to Caamp's Live vinyl. I have a horrible distortion out of the right channel only on the last track. Can't seem to figure out of this is unique to mine, of if it's a pressing issue.
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    pjpitt89 said:

Solid choices. Can you actually let me know after you listen to Caamp's Live vinyl. I have a horrible distortion out of the right channel only on the last track. Can't seem to figure out of this is unique to mine, of if it's a pressing issue.
    Will do @pjpitt89
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,675
    static111 said:

to be honest the only reason I bought that one is because it’s on pro ject’s website.  They don’t make it but if it’s listed there I kind of trust it more than the several other similar looking options 

Unless one can afford the much higher cost of a vac/wet cleaner, I too would recommend a Spin Clean.  I like mine a lot! If you decide to go that way, here are a couple of suggestions:
    -Any used records that I pick up that are heavy on the dust and grime, I use a clean micro fiber cloth with a record cleaning spray to eliminate the worst of the dirt, and then give it a deep cleaning with the Spin Clean.  That also keeps the spin cleaning fluid cleaner if you are doing a batch of LPs.
    -Spin Clean says one tub full of fluid is good for up to 50 records.  I would say maybe that's OK if the records are already mostly clean, but I never go that long with one batch. 
    -Buy some extra drying cloths and when they need cleaning, hand wash in Woolite (no fabric softener!) and hang dry.
    -I have a camper dish drying rack that I set up in front of a fan.  The records fit in the slots without touching the grooves and I place them edge-wise toward the fan on low.  That gets them good and dry.  I've tried to find that rack again without luck, but you might try searching for one.  The only markings on it are "Made in Taiwan" and "No. 949".  Some other kind of rack might work as well or just hold the LP up to the fan on both sides for a few moments.

I hope that helps!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Yes… get extra drying cloths.  The two it comes with get saturated well before a normal sized batch is done 
  • Options
    Yes… get extra drying cloths.  The two it comes with get saturated well before a normal sized batch is done 

They're good but I've always wondered what the little piece of blue plastic sewn into one corner is for.  Any ides? 
    Also wondering if other cloth (i.e. reduced expense) can be used just as well for drying or is there something special about the Spin Clean cloths.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited February 2022
    brianlux said:

They're good but I've always wondered what the little piece of blue plastic sewn into one corner is for.  Any ides? 
    Also wondering if other cloth (i.e. reduced expense) can be used just as well for drying or is there something special about the Spin Clean cloths.
    Mine doesn’t have any blue plastic. 

They remind me of Muslin cloths we used when the kids were babies. Those are cheap and probably the same thing. Loose weave cotton if I was guessing 

to me microfiber isn’t a good choice as those catch and hold too much junk and it doesn’t always come out in the wash and then after a while something abrasive is going to get rubbed into your record 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    pjpitt89pjpitt89 Posts: 1,818
    I just was in a spin clean thread on the SH forums. I got one for Christmas and just cleaned 15-20 records for the first time. Followed instructions to a T and while the records looked great, they all had a bunch of light surface noise. 

Seems most people encourage light drying then air drying. I think I was too hard on the towel drying (pre washed, as instructed), but still I was quite frustrated since I did it exactly as described. 
    9/1/00, 4/28/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/12/03, 10/1/04, 9/28/05, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/27/08, 6/30/08, 8/7/08 (EV), 6/12/09 (EV), 10/27/09, 10/28/09,10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 6/15/11 (EV), 9/2/12, 7/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/27/13, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/7/16, 11/4/16 (TOTD), 8/18/18, 8/20/18, 9/24/21 (EV&Earthlings), 9/26/21, 9/11/2022, 9/14/2022
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,401
    One of the record shops in my area will vacuum clean records for a $1 a pop. Nice extra service they offer.
  • Options
    edited February 2022
    pjpitt89 said:
    I just was in a spin clean thread on the SH forums. I got one for Christmas and just cleaned 15-20 records for the first time. Followed instructions to a T and while the records looked great, they all had a bunch of light surface noise. 

Seems most people encourage light drying then air drying. I think I was too hard on the towel drying (pre washed, as instructed), but still I was quite frustrated since I did it exactly as described. 
    If you want to test it do this.  

Run a record under pretty warm tap water and allow the dirt to start to come up from deep in the grooves.  Pictured is a freshly opened vault 6 after a surface clean before I ever played it. After about 15 seconds you get what’s pictured. Just remember to rinse with distilled water after

Then do it again after you use spin clean and for sure it’ll be less.  That way you can get a visual of what it’s doing 

You may not have got all the dirt up. Records are way dirtier than they look.  Also try pre cleaning with something like mofi super deep cleaner first if it’s really dirty 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Mine doesn’t have any blue plastic. 

They remind me of Muslin cloths we used when the kids were babies. Those are cheap and probably the same thing. Loose weave cotton if I was guessing 

to me microfiber isn’t a good choice as those catch and hold too much junk and it doesn’t always come out in the wash and then after a while something abrasive is going to get rubbed into your record 
    Good thought, thanks.  Although I only use the microfiber cloth for pre-cleaning on the dirtiest LPs, sound like maybe I should switch to just a soft flannel for that.  I do only use the cloths I purchased through Spin Clean for the regular deep cleaning.
    pjpitt89 said:

That is perplexing.  I wish I had a clear idea as to why.  Cropduster's idea might help.  Or is it possible that your stylus needs cleaning?

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Thanks for the help on this.  I doubt i will ever be doing more than a couple records at a time.  Most likely I would just like to clean one when i notice it is dirty and or it is not playing clear.  No way am I ever going to sit down and clean 20-50 records at a time.  Sounds like a good washing and drying cloth and a nice brush as well as a little bit of record cleaning solution should serve me well.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Been through red and black already and Kid A has distortion problems.  How to disappear completely in particular is bad.   

Cream edition has no such issues. 

• Options

• Options
    @1ThoughtKnown whats the one on the left?
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    @1ThoughtKnown might still be sleeping, but I think that’s the follow-up to Worship Music by Anthrax. (I can’t remember the name of the album, though.)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    @1ThoughtKnown might still be sleeping, but I think that’s the follow-up to Worship Music by Anthrax. (I can’t remember the name of the album, though.)
    Ahhh, I thought that was Scott Ian on the left as a statue.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
  • Options
    @1ThoughtKnown whats the one on the left?
    For All Kings.  Limited edition release from Newbury (250 copies). 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

The Pack A.D. Unpersons 10th anniversary Glow In The Dark reissue. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Love gid records. Shine a flashlight on it while it's spinning in the dark. Thrilling to me, easily amused.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Loujoe said:
    Love gid records. Shine a flashlight on it while it's spinning in the dark. Thrilling to me, easily amused.
    I took it out of the sleeve, and it wasn't glowing. I didn't realize you had to "charge" it up. I thought they just glowed (glew?) automatically. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited February 2022
    Enjoy. Don't trip over your records in the dark!
    I have poltergeist soundtrack gid.  Bust it out during the Halloween season.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2022
    I've tripped over many a record in the dark.

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I took it out of the sleeve, and it wasn't glowing. I didn't realize you had to "charge" it up. I thought they just glowed (glew?) automatically. 
    It's Glowed, can add an s for glows.